Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Just now, Lonestar88 said:

Don’t feel great about this offer. Hard to see it as anything other than us striking out at WR.

I'm fine with taking a contingency guy so long as that means we go hard at WR in the portal.  We need a couple of experienced guys who can come in and play alongside Worthy from Day1.

42 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I get him wanting to play early, but I don't think he's played all year after his ACL injury from last year. He's a freak athlete, but going to take a lot for him to be on the field in 2022 no matter where he goes.

He played the second half of the season. And looked good.

Bobby:

Brief news recaps from yesterday:

- Offensive lineman Kelvin Banks unlikely to visit Miami this weekend, and is contemplating moving his decision to the next signing day in February. Texas remains in hot pursuit. Texas coaches expected in home later today.

- Offensive lineman Devon Campbell decided against making a visit this upcoming weekend to Georgia. The Longhorns are all in on Campbell as they have been from the very start of the recruiting process. Oklahoma and USC are also thought to be under consideration but the Horns remain hopeful.

- Quarterback Quinn Ewers was in Columbus, Ohio, yesterday moving out of his place at Ohio State. While there, Ewers joined an Instagram live feed hosted by Texas receiver Xavier Worthy. Worthy, and other Texas commitments, gave Ewers the full-on recruitment. Meanwhile, Ewers former high school receiver Brady Boyd, who played sparingly at Minnesota this years, entered the portal. Eric Nahlin reported that Boyd’s future college destination would have near-zero impact on Ewers.

- Gerry Hamilton noted that Texas and Steve Sarkisian made an in-home visit last night with a prospect committed elsewhere. That player asked his name not to be mentioned at this point.

- Hamilton also reported that a college player is expected to enter the portal later today or tomorrow. That player will be someone the Horns have immediate interest in.

- Offensive lineman Neto Umeozulu from Allen did not meet with Texas coaches yesterday as originally anticipated. Umeozulu instead is making visits to Baylor and TCU through the weekend. Texas remains under consideration and it is thought Umeozulu is expected to make his decision by Wednesday of next week.

- Texas remains in the hunt for North Shore cornerback Denver Harris with A&M the clear competition given the fact that longtime LSU assistant Corey Raymond has now departed for Florida. The coaching upheaval in Baton Rouge is causing multiple current LSU players and prospects committed to LSU to reconsider their options. Shreveport receiver Decoldest Crawford is one of those pledges that Texas is attempting to get in for an official visit.

- Justin Wells reported that Spearman receiver and Texas commitment Brenen Thompson, as well as several other commitments, are expected to be Austin this weekend to help the Horns recruit. There are at least two official visitors scheduled for this weekend: Grand Prarie athlete Savion Red and Arlington cornerback Xavion Brice, who is currently committed to Oklahoma.

- Hudson Standish reported that Texas is also asking some 2023 prospects to come to Austin this weekend as part of the visit festivities. Several top 2023s should be in Austin.

- We are currently tracking Cooper McDonald, the defensive end/linebacker who is originally from Justin Northwest and played at Washington the past two seasons. McDonald started for the Huskies this past season before entering the portal earlier this week. We have not reached McDonald for comment yet.

If I forgot anything, I apologize in advance and please feel free to add to recap in the comments.

50 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Caleb Douglas Senior Hudl

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/11694603/615a6b43c125090550725055

A lot of jump balls.  Not a ton of separation.  Long legs / long strider.  Seems like a guy Herman would have definitely been all over.

I have no insight into evaluation. I will say that he snags the ball nicely and makes pancake blocks when that's his assignment. He runs the ball pretty well when taking the pass behind the line. Also a nice GPA.

Is there a possibility that he could be a tight end in two years? He seems naturally lean, so it doesn't seem likely but, again, what do I know?

14 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

So now does it come out that the guy filming was Foster?  That's still where my money is (unless it's been figured out who it was and I missed it)

3 minutes ago, THUJONE said:

Was it foster who did the filming? 

Also - I really had high hopes for Adimora. Damn.

Montrell Estell was conspicuously absent from any senior day festivities. 

Edited by Etexhorn13
  • Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

In regards to the 4 star currently committed to another school that our staff did an in-home with. That has to be Brooks right?

From looking at the consensus 4 stars in Texas and positions we of need it could be:

Bryce Anderson

Terrance Brooks

Tavarus Jones

Caleb Burton

Chris Marshall

On another note 4 star rankings should stop after 250 or so. 

2 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

From looking at the consensus 4 stars in Texas and positions we of need it could be:

Bryce Anderson

Terrance Brooks

Tavarus Jones

Caleb Burton

Chris Marshall

On another note 4 star rankings should stop after 250 or so. 

Anderson or Brooks or gtfo

Edited by Viper
  • Hook 'Em 2

Roach confirms it was Brooks (fuck that guy)

Spoiler

— There's not much new on the Quinn Ewers front. Texas will get a shot this weekend to drive everything home and win over the former five-star. I've gotten a sense of fatigue when talking to some folks about the subject as everyone awaits the decision. I don't sense that fatigue from anyone at Texas. The staff has played this one pretty cool and have been able to juggle everything with several high-profile recruitments still on their plate. Everything I'm hearing still leads me to believe Ewers will end up in Austin, but Texas Tech hasn't been put away yet. One thing surprising to me is that the Longhorns haven't made a run at Southlake Carroll wide receiver Landon Samson or Minnesota transfer and former Carroll wideout Brady Boyd. Each would probably provide some familiarity for Ewers, and both have the talent to play at Texas. Samson is a fit athletically for what Steve Sarkisian wants at the receiver position. I'm speculating here, but I would think if a decision comes, it will be this weekend. We will see if that ultimately happens as this recruitment has played out longer than most imagined when he entered the portal

— Steve Sarkisian stopped by Arlington last night to see Devon Campbell and Bowie on the hardwood. Campbell put up a big performance in front of the staff showing off his athleticism and brute force in the paint. All indications from the visit were strong, and it sounds like Campbell could be in decision-making mode. It was reported by Steve Wiltfong that Campbell would no longer make a visit to Georgia after previously canceling a trip to USC. I checked with a source near Campbell who believes he's done with the visit process overall and will now turn his attention to making a final decision. In the past, Campbell said that his decision won't come before the Under Armour All-American Game in late December. The source I spoke with feels this race still comes down to Alabama, Texas and Oklahoma and when asked who they would pick at the moment, I was told that the source feels Texas still holds the edge.

— The Texas staff also visited with four-star cornerback prospect Terrance Brooks last night. I was told that the visit was great with Sarkisian stopping by Little Elm and visiting the family at home. The family has been operating in quiet, but Texas has been relentless with the pressure. A few weeks ago, a key source near Brooks told me he thought Texas had a 40% chance of flipping him. After last night's visit, that same source said he felt it could be as close as 50/50 at the moment. This will be one to watch as we go down the stretch. With hopes of landing Denver Harris seemingly fading a bit, Texas needs some answers at the cornerback position. Jaylon Guilbeau and Austin Jordan are currently in the class while Ronald Lewis could play a few different positions. If Texas misses on Brooks, the recruitment of Xavion Brice could be very important. The Arlington Seguin athlete is raw, but he has the athletic upside and desirable frame to grow into a top defensive back. Brice flashed his potential at the SMU camp this summer putting on an impressive performance against a bunch of good prospects.

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Reveal hidden contents

— There's not much new on the Quinn Ewers front. Texas will get a shot this weekend to drive everything home and win over the former five-star. I've gotten a sense of fatigue when talking to some folks about the subject as everyone awaits the decision. I don't sense that fatigue from anyone at Texas. The staff has played this one pretty cool and have been able to juggle everything with several high-profile recruitments still on their plate. Everything I'm hearing still leads me to believe Ewers will end up in Austin, but Texas Tech hasn't been put away yet. One thing surprising to me is that the Longhorns haven't made a run at Southlake Carroll wide receiver Landon Samson or Minnesota transfer and former Carroll wideout Brady Boyd. Each would probably provide some familiarity for Ewers, and both have the talent to play at Texas. Samson is a fit athletically for what Steve Sarkisian wants at the receiver position. I'm speculating here, but I would think if a decision comes, it will be this weekend. We will see if that ultimately happens as this recruitment has played out longer than most imagined when he entered the portal

— Steve Sarkisian stopped by Arlington last night to see Devon Campbell and Bowie on the hardwood. Campbell put up a big performance in front of the staff showing off his athleticism and brute force in the paint. All indications from the visit were strong, and it sounds like Campbell could be in decision-making mode. It was reported by Steve Wiltfong that Campbell would no longer make a visit to Georgia after previously canceling a trip to USC. I checked with a source near Campbell who believes he's done with the visit process overall and will now turn his attention to making a final decision. In the past, Campbell said that his decision won't come before the Under Armour All-American Game in late December. The source I spoke with feels this race still comes down to Alabama, Texas and Oklahoma and when asked who they would pick at the moment, I was told that the source feels Texas still holds the edge.

— The Texas staff also visited with four-star cornerback prospect Terrance Brooks last night. I was told that the visit was great with Sarkisian stopping by Little Elm and visiting the family at home. The family has been operating in quiet, but Texas has been relentless with the pressure. A few weeks ago, a key source near Brooks told me he thought Texas had a 40% chance of flipping him. After last night's visit, that same source said he felt it could be as close as 50/50 at the moment. This will be one to watch as we go down the stretch. With hopes of landing Denver Harris seemingly fading a bit, Texas needs some answers at the cornerback position. Jaylon Guilbeau and Austin Jordan are currently in the class while Ronald Lewis could play a few different positions. If Texas misses on Brooks, the recruitment of Xavion Brice could be very important. The Arlington Seguin athlete is raw, but he has the athletic upside and desirable frame to grow into a top defensive back. Brice flashed his potential at the SMU camp this summer putting on an impressive performance against a bunch of good prospects.

Given that we've defenestrated half the DB room, I'd say Brice is important no matter what Brooks does.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Reveal hidden contents

Didn't Bama not do an in-home with Campbell? Seems like a pretty telling sign on them. I guess Bill B could still be a threat but hard to see that with Lincoln gone

I just don't get why our 9.95ers are so detrimental to our program. Ohio State, Bama, UGA, and LSU mods are not this way. Something has got to be done. Maybe we just have too many outlets covering the team and we need to start pulling credentials.

I mean, they’re getting the information from somewhere. If you continue to source info for someone who consistently spills it before you want them to, that’s ultimately on the source. No one’s making you talk to Mike fucking Roach.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting