Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

26 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

Cashcar is the only person to ever DM me on Surly, and he did so because I called him a fucking idiot.

You have been called that so many times in the forum, I thought this was tribal knowledge at this point. It is printed on page 2 of the Surly user manual.

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Another clueless fool. A spash hire won't mean anything unless money is committed to buying recruits. The hope is NIL will offset what aggy is doing with bags. 

also curious how aggy will transition from the bag game to the nil game. what exactly will that look like, how much resistance will there be, and from whom.  

seems much easier for us to move from no bags -> nil than to untangle their dirty under-the-table-handler/uncle/trainer shenanigans that have been going on for over a decade. 

guess we’ll see but i bet it takes longer to “answer” what we’ve done than they think. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

also curious how aggy will transition from the bag game to the nil game. what exactly will that look like, how much resistance will there be, and from whom.  

seems much easier for us to move from no bags -> nil than to untangle their dirty under-the-table-handler/uncle/trainer shenanigans that have been going on for over a decade. 

guess we’ll see but i bet it takes longer to “answer” what we’ve done than they think. 

Idk what would keep trams from keeping some sort of bag game. The visit bag, the dont visit bag, the dont commit bag. And the commit till we can start NIL bag. 

Kids like instant gratification. 100k in August is nice. But 100k in a paper bag right now and then the 100k in August is even better. 

I hope it does go away. But, i cant see teams nit playing those kinda games even in the age of NIL. Especially aggy. 

Im hoping aggy going crazy with the bag game this year, results in them giving themselves enough rope to hang themselves via NCAA violations.

I know thinking the NCAA will do anything is a vain hope. But one can dream, right?

Id love the aggy tears from half their team bailing like what happened at Tennessee last year. 

Just an fyi...

Committee discussing elimination, movement of Early Signing Period

LAS VEGAS — The Early Signing Period has led to unintended consequences across college football, including coaching changes creeping earlier in the fall calendar, and now concerns about more drama in the middle of fall competition could lead to the elimination of the early period.

Discussions are underway with the NCAA’s Football Oversight Committee on whether to eliminate the mid-December event. Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby said said those discussions have not reached an official level, but concerns about the viability of the early signing period, which was instituted in 2017 to help players and families to end their recruitment before the first Wednesday in February have grown in recent months.

“We did not do it to accommodate coaches,” said Bowlsby, who was the chairman of the Oversight Committee when the early signing period was first I instituted. “We did it to accommodate the students and their families. That’s going to be another process the Football Oversight (Committee) will have to go back and talk to the kids and the families and see if see if they want it to stay.”

The Early Signing Period for the 2022 cycle starts next week (Dec. 15-17). Two major jobs in college football opened midway through the season at USC and LSU, leading to tumult on coaching staffs and, subsequently, players entering the transfer portal as more dominoes tipped over on the job market. Administrators and coaches across college football are concerned the early signing period has led to more firings earlier in the academic calendar so schools can guarantee a new coach enough time to compile and secure a signing class before the early signing period.

“Clearly things have changed since the early signing day was put in,” Bowlsby said. The advent of the transfer portal is the greatest change since the early signing period began. The NCAA opened the transfer portal in October 2018, and over the last year the NCAA opened the door for players to transfer freely without sitting out a season at their new school.

Bob Stoops, now Oklahoma’s interim head coach, believes the early signing period should be moved because of the changes across the sport over the last four years.

“I always have said, ‘be careful what you wish for, you might just get it,’” Stoops said. “Well, this is where we're at now. And this is why things have to happen faster. Fire guys quicker, hire quicker.”

SEC commissioner Greg Sankey said memos circulated as far back as 2009, when an Early Signing Period was first discussed, that mentioned how an earlier signing day would accelerate the firing-and-hiring season.

"Lo and behold, here we are," Sankey said. "So we've been engaged in that dialogue for 12 years. If others are ready to go back and rethink what's resulted from the current early signing approach, I'm certainly ready to be a part of that dialogue."

Bowlsby said he has heard several ideas to tweak the signing period, though all are not official proposals, including a signing period following the national championship game. Sankey believes an early signing period in August is a non-starter because that would decrease dead periods in the recruiting calendar — a period in which coaches are not allowed to contact or visit recruits — and the only vacation time usually allotted for coaches in June and July.

2 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

For those with more knowledge on the topic. Early signing periods benefit the early enrollees correct?  If they remove that how do early enrollees enroll?  I really cannot remember old age is a mother trucker 

I think early signing period benefits school more....players who enrolled early did so regardless the old way and would just sign in February. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, NorLa Horns said:

Idk what would keep trams from keeping some sort of bag game. The visit bag, the dont visit bag, the dont commit bag. And the commit till we can start NIL bag. 

Kids like instant gratification. 100k in August is nice. But 100k in a paper bag right now and then the 100k in August is even better. 

I hope it does go away. But, i cant see teams nit playing those kinda games even in the age of NIL. Especially aggy. 

I think the visit and don't visit bag will always exist.  I think the hope is that by getting the true high end players the real ability to make $500k to $1MM in NIL per year legally, maybe that extra 300k that they get up front to sign with Aggie to attend a school that has no WR passing offense and won't utilize you and end up costing you money in the long run won't be such an incentive to sign with them.  It hopefully levels the playing field by bringing up the floor income these guys make to such a level that they player will then actually pick the school based on the real desire to attend driven by the merits of the coaching staff, scheme, the town, the academics (to those few that really care about that type of thing) etc. instead of just making a pure financial decision and going to a school that they otherwise would never in a million year pick and were literally making fun of 3 months prior. 

Over the course of 4 years if Stewart truly believed could make $1.8MM and go to aggie or make $1.5MM and go to UT, he probably never commits to them.  And this simple illustration assumes he can make as much through NIL in College Station as he can in Austin....which he can't.  There is always going to be time value of money, tax free impact, guaranteed up front is better because of injury risk etc....  but as NIL progresses and is proven out over the next few years, I think the narrative that UT can sell will be accepted more readily by the recruits and up front bags should not be as big of a deciding factor on where these guys choose to go.

• Hook 'Em 3

(Bobby Burton) Thursday: It's closing time for Texas recruiting

It’s closing time for Steve Sarkisian as he tries to seal up the Texas Longhorns’ 2022 recruiting class. One last call. Signing day nears as Sarkisian makes his final rounds of in-home visits. From Kelvin Banks to Neto Umeozulu to Denver Harris to Devon Campbell to Harold Perkins, the Texas coach is giving his final pitch before players can put ink to paper.

Banks was a nominee for the annual Houston Touchdown Club offensive player of the year last night. That award ended up going to Connor Weigman of Bridgeland, the A&M quarterback commitment. On defense, Kristopher Ross of North Shore, won the award. Ross, of course, committed to Texas and line coach Bo Davis.

Of any high school award given in the state of Texas, the Houston Touchdown Club is one that is really all about on-field performance. I’ve seen 5-foot-9 linebackers win it on defense and no-name linemen win it on offense. I personally think Kelvin Banks deserved it this year over Weigman on offense. But the selectors of the award are historically excellent, in part because the selectors are high school coaches who take the award seriously. It’s not about blue chip this or five star that.

Furthermore, the defined area of just Greater Houston is such that coaches are aware of the competition and how stats can sometimes lie. The award is usually a better, more indicative outcome than the all-State lists we will see later this year because it’s not comparing a safety in Galveston who is a blood-thirsty headhunter to one in El Paso who had five interceptions, four of which were ostensibly punts.

If you win this award, you absolutely deserve it. Maybe others were just as good, but the players are never slouches by any means. So congrats to Kris Ross and Connor Weigman. You win the Touchdown Club Award, you darn well deserve it.

Ross’ selection may surprise some. After all, he committed so long ago, and fans often get so caught up only in the news of the day as signing day approaches, that they forget about the ones already in tow. Texas, for its part, had to withstand extreme recruitment throughout the season from Ole Miss, TCU and Oklahoma to keep the pledge of Ross. Ross’ signature won’t grab the headlines of others who announce their decisions late in the process. But his play on the field eventually will. I’m guessing the play of BJ Allen and Brenen Thompson will do the same when the time comes. Like Ross, both are as good of players as they are prospects.

Texas needs to close on at least three additional OL prospects in this class. Will they have to extend past NSD1 into January and February to accomplish that? We’re going to find out soon.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

This is a filthy D Line class. You have to wonder how many guys on the team will portal out when these dudes hit campus. 

Maybe Sweat, Warren, and one of Collins or Broughton?  We still need at least another half dozen players portaling out if Sark wants to bring in 33+ new student-athletes.

5 hours ago, NorLa Horns said:

Im hoping aggy going crazy with the bag game this year, results in them giving themselves enough rope to hang themselves via NCAA violations.

I know thinking the NCAA will do anything is a vain hope. But one can dream, right?

Id love the aggy tears from half their team bailing like what happened at Tennessee last year. 

The NCAA should come after all the bag programs right now. They had to turn a blind eye when everybody was doing it illegally. They could point to Texas and all the other schools doing it legally and hammer them with infractions for continuing to cheat when it wasn't necessary

• Hook 'Em 1

TFB: Savion Red

Spoiler

As you know, Texas has been in pursuit of 2022 WR, Savion Red (Grand Prairie).

A couple notes of importance.

***One, I’m told this one is strongly trending Texas. Probably not a huge surprise there.

***Two, I’m told that Texas is actually recruiting Red as a running back. Sounds like they are looking for him to be the replacement for Jamarion Miller.

• Hook 'Em 9

2 minutes ago, nycHorn said:

TFB: Savion Red

Hide contents

As you know, Texas has been in pursuit of 2022 WR, Savion Red (Grand Prairie).

A couple notes of importance.

***One, I’m told this one is strongly trending Texas. Probably not a huge surprise there.

***Two, I’m told that Texas is actually recruiting Red as a running back. Sounds like they are looking for him to be the replacement for Jamarion Miller.

Worked with Roschon - lets try it again.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Everyone looks super happy #1 and #2 holy cow does he have a lot of Texas gear we sent damn near the whole staff.

Seems like he really wants to come here, we’ve just done everything possible to make him question that decision. 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting