Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

1 hour ago, UncleBuck said:

I think you've missed the mark by quite a bit. I think almost anyone would put Murphy back a little based simply on how big of a project he is. Then factor in that Bobby may not believe he actually ever starts at Texas (or for long), not because he won't be good enough, but because Arch will be the one who ultimately succeeds Ewers. These are all factors Bobby considers, I'm sure.

As for the Burke point, why can't the guy just really like a kid that continued to dominate en route to a 6A state championship, and who will most likely finish a 4 star? We're acting like the kid's a *PWO or something.

*he's for sure not a prisoner of war.

Having Maalik that low because he is a project not ready to play yet, and then turning around and having Burke rated that high is not logically consistent. I hope Burke ends up being great, but I've learned to stop listening to Texas media and fans when it comes to Westlake and LT kids.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

Part of my doubts on him is they also have  DE that many feel is better. The idea of Westlake having 2 Kids that are national prospects at DE seems unlikely to me. The other issue is positional fit. I dont see him as a guy that can play OLB in PK's system. I dont see that kind of athleticism. 

Lol what

7 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Having Maalik that low because he is a project not ready to play yet, and then turning around and having Burke rated that high is not logically consistent. I hope Burke ends up being great, but I've learned to stop listening to Texas media and fans when it comes to Westlake and LT kids.

Different positions though. Project at QB means that he is a couple years away. Anytime you say that the best bet is to say unlikely starter at Texas. I dont agree with it, but that is the modern world of QB recruits. They start by year 2 or they are likely gone. 

5 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Lol what

Not sure the question. Burke is a national recruit. Flipped from Michigan to Texas. Vasek is considered to be equal or better by many, so it would indicated that he would also be a national recruit. He has offered from Utah, Tech, and Indiana in the last 10 days. Just seems crazy that Westlake would have those kind of kids on defense based on the history of the program. QBs, sure. DEs, no. 

Edited by Codaxx

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

Not sure the question. Burke is a national recruit. Flipped from Michigan to Texas. Vasek is considered to be equal or better by many, so it would indicated that he would also be a national recruit. He has offered from Utah, Tech, and Indiana in the last 10 days. Just seems crazy that Westlake would have those kind of kids on defense based on the history of the program. QBs, sure. DEs, no. 

It is pretty rare for an elite high school defense to have more than one elite player. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

Vasek is considered to be equal or better by many

Sure, people who don't take into account that he's a Westlake kid coached by his dad and is going to show up on some campus pretty maxed. The excitement on Burke isn't production, it's traits and untapped upside. As prospects, they're not all that close. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, Ricky's one-hitter said:

This is a gross overgeneralization. Depends on what needs to be fixed. Maalik could come on faster than that, especially with the extended senior season. 

It probably is, but we are talkign about a kid with 31 TDs and 12 Ints this year (2 seasons, in a short period of time). Even this past season is 22 TDs and 9 ints, that has to be a flag for early time. 63% comp is not great either. The kid has great physical tools, but he is behind in things like reading coverage. 

1 minute ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Sure, people who don't take into account that he's a Westlake kid coached by his dad and is going to show up on some campus pretty maxed. The excitement on Burke isn't production, it's traits and untapped upside. As prospects, they're not all that close. 

I dont get this take. I have seen both and Vasek is the higher end athlete of the two. No idea how they develop, but I think the "dad is is coach, so he is hte maxed kid" is an extremely lazy take. 

11 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

But what does another good player have to do with Burke and your doubts? I would hope he isn’t the best DL on our team either.

Edited by Hank_Hill

1 minute ago, Hank_Hill said:

But what does another good player have to do with Burke and your doubts? 

Just trying to wrap my head around the idea that Westlake has two dominant Edge players that will be highly productive in college. Just doesnt seem right. Like lottery type odds that could happen. 

4 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Don't take it wrong. Sometimes we are all for lazy takes. On some nights, a hot buzzed sorority girl near closing time hits just the right spot.

Hot buzzed sorority girl is gonna hit every time for me. Now mediocre, sloshed, 60 year old divorcee is a different story 

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Maalik is a long term project who needs to completely redo much of his mechanics. He also needs to learn to play QB at a high level.  He needs to work on almost every aspect of being a QB.  This will take years. 

Burke is a good player right now with an elite frame and plus athleticism.  He just needs to fill out and he could see the field very quickly.  While I'm sure he needs to learn stuff too, what's on his plate is a metric ton less than Maalik.  They're on completely different time lines and Maalik is just much more likely to not make it because of how much he has to learn and implement vs Burke.   

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

California recruits don’t stay on our roster when they don’t play. QBs don’t stay on our roster when they don’t play. An Austin-based DE is far more likely to stick around long enough to develop into a contributor 

11 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

His dad showed up at Texas at 238 pounds in 1991, and he left five years later at 245. That might be a concern.

Training tables, S&C departments, and nutrition in general is a lot different today than it was 30 years ago. Not to mention that 245lbs was a good size for a DE in that era. 

12 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

His dad showed up at Texas at 238 pounds in 1991, and he left five years later at 245. That might be a concern.

That I cant argue with. I dont know how any recruit will take to adding another 40 pounds. I would just lay a lot of money on 40 time and shuttle times between the 2 having seen both play at various levels 

37 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Having Maalik that low because he is a project not ready to play yet, and then turning around and having Burke rated that high is not logically consistent. 

Not really. Two completely different positions, and he could simply feel better about one's chances over the others. I mean, how many kids do you see come into this program that aren't projects to begin with? Whether it's one year, or two+ years? He's ranking them based on what type of impact he thinks they'll make as Longhorns, it doesn't really have to make perfect sense to any of us. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Depends on if we move angilau to center. 

I don't understand people talking about this. If Angilau to center was viable, it would have been done last year when we had plenty of guards but no centers other than a rs freshman.

Just now, Viper said:

I don't understand people talking about this. If Angilau to center was viable, it would have been done last year when we had plenty of guards but no centers other than a rs freshman.

While I don't entirely disagree, we had Angilau and Okafor when the season started and questions behind them. Turns out our next best guards were Tope Imade and Hayden Connor, neither of which would have been one of the best 5 in fall camp which is when they could have tried Angilau at center. 

31 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

It probably is, but we are talkign about a kid with 31 TDs and 12 Ints this year (2 seasons, in a short period of time). Even this past season is 22 TDs and 9 ints, that has to be a flag for early time. 63% comp is not great either. The kid has great physical tools, but he is behind in things like reading coverage. 

I don't want to downplay his obvious developmental needs, but he was playing behind a crappy o-line, making passes while running for his life, and throwing to midgets. 

37 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I dont get this take. I have seen both and Vasek is the higher end athlete of the two. No idea how they develop, but I think the "dad is is coach, so he is hte maxed kid" is an extremely lazy take. 

More or less lazy a take than 'no high school could have two top DL prospects'? 

• Haha 2

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

More or less lazy a take than 'no high school could have two top DL prospects'? 

My take was lazy, but you need to say "no white affluent HS could have 2 top DL prospects". While completely lazy the odds are certainly in my favor. #reverseKatfid

5 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Part of my doubts on him is they also have  DE that many feel is better. The idea of Westlake having 2 Kids that are national prospects at DE seems unlikely to me. The other issue is positional fit. I dont see him as a guy that can play OLB in PK's system. I dont see that kind of athleticism. 

3 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Just trying to wrap my head around the idea that Westlake has two dominant Edge players that will be highly productive in college. Just doesnt seem right. Like lottery type odds that could happen. 

Your take isnt lazy, it's nonsensical. 

By your logic: Texas has "lottery-type odds" to land multiple 5-star OL, because Texas has never landed multiple 5-star OL. So if Devon Campbell commits to Texas, then we should automatically have doubts about his ability and rate him as a 4-star, because a 5-star OL is already committed. 

Nonsensical.  

9 minutes ago, Askew said:

Your take isnt lazy, it's nonsensical. 

By your logic: Texas has "lottery-type odds" to land multiple 5-star OL, because Texas has never landed multiple 5-star OL. So if Devon Campbell commits to Texas, then we should automatically have doubts about his ability and rate him as a 4-star, because a 5-star OL is already committed. 

Nonsensical.  

Animated GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

18 minutes ago, sidis said:

sorry to drop in on this nonsense but just checking in on developments...

we still feeling pretty decent about campbell and abor?

any other major targets in which we have at least a prayer on NSD2?

Insiders are strongly hinting that Campbell has signed already and is just waiting to announce. 

It seems like we have a shot with Abor but it's a long one. I saw some speculation he was just using Texas to get Ohio State to not be complacent in their recruitment. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Viper said:

Insiders are strongly hinting that Campbell has signed already and is just waiting to announce. 

It seems like we have a shot with Abor but it's a long one. I saw some speculation he was just using Texas to get Ohio State to not be complacent in their recruitment. 

that's disappointing.  he looked good in state championship game when he played.  would be concerned with the number of plays he just took off but he is a specimen.  fuck ohio state, kid...stay home. 

4 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Dear God. What?  This is the surlyest post I’ve seen. We comparing to dudes fathers 30 years ago in terms of potential today. Wild 

Edited by Sgt Hulk
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Not really buying the Abor was trying to make Ohio State jealous stuff. It’s the dead period, but phones work both ways. He could have easily called Daytime Vampire Ryan Day. If Day isn’t taking Abor’s calls, then he shouldn’t sign with them. 

Ohio State was taking him for granted 

Did we ever pinpoint the exact moment at which the tides turned in 2022 recruiting?

I think some of the candidate are:

• Horns With Heart announcement
  • post-Iowa State Bo Davis video
  • Xavier Worthy live streaming an image of the Texas-TT score on his phone
  • Cristobal visits Miami to be with family
  • Bedenbaugh decides to stay in Norman
  • Xavier Worthy changes twitter profile photo to Quinn Ewers
  • This thread reaching 900 (admittedly very close in time to some of the other non-Surly events)

2 minutes ago, Ben Ficus said:

Did we ever pinpoint the exact moment at which the tides turned in 2022 recruiting?

• This thread reaching 900 (admittedly very close in time to some of the other non-Surly events)

Yeah it was when all the coaches left the schools they were at to take another job or being fired. 

We got lucky as fuck.  We had 2, and likely 3 blue chip OL fall into our laps with the Cristobal and Riley coaching changes. Then Ewers gave us some juice.  Things could have gone the other way with the currents flowing in a different direction or even just with different timing.  Still gotta show a much improved product on the field next season. We won't get lucky 2 seasons in a row.   

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Pretty sure it was when surly started eating massive amounts of CFS and posting pics of that chick pinch hitting for Kate. Someone correct me if I'm wrong..
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, RabidM said:

We got lucky as fuck.  We had 2, and likely 3 blue chip OL fall into our laps with the Cristobal and Riley coaching changes. Then Ewers gave us some juice.  Things could have gone the other way with the currents flowing in a different direction or even just with different timing.  Still gotta show a much improved product on the field next season. We won't get lucky 2 seasons in a row.   

This type luck happens a lot now in CFB. With the amount of coaching changes and the transfer portal you can capitalize on this stuff on almost a yearly basis if you're a big program.  

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

This type luck happens a lot now in CFB. With the amount of coaching changes and the transfer portal you can capitalize on this stuff on almost a yearly basis.  

Not every school gets these opportunities on a yearly basis. But when they happen to you, you better fucking pounce. 

Just now, irishtexan said:

Not every school gets these opportunities on a yearly basis. But when they happen to you, you better fucking pounce. 

Maybe not to this extent but the idea of poaching 2 or 3 big time recruits from coaching changes and then another 2 or 3 big time players in the portal is no longer crazy talk. 

You can do this almost every year if you're committed to it. 

Obviously, getting a generational talent like Ewers doesn't happen every year but college football has changed so much recently with the amount of coaching changes and the number of quality players looking to hit the portal. 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting