2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

Serious question, where do we think he ends up?  I have doubts as to even his base level athleticism, much less football IQ and mental toughness.
When the career fan highlight is a teed up hit on a wr that didn't even result in a turnover, rather a penalty and an ejection... That's just a sad sad career at a school like Texas.  I'm glad no one is masochistic enough yet to make a career lowlights vid because that sucker would be at least a half hour long

UTSA , UH, or Tech

2 hours ago, derpyhorndog said:

We've had a long stretch of years where DBs flash (or even shine consistently) as underclassman only for them to regress in their later years. Sterns is another one beyond these two that come to mind. Looking forward to flipping that script. 

I think Sterns was a negative influence on the other DBs. That was a cultural problem within that group.

I think Adimora was more of a fit issue.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I think Sterns was a negative influence on the other DBs. That was a cultural problem within that group.

I think Adimora was more of a fit issue.

Sterns is now a solid starter in the NFL so maybe it was a cultural problem within our whole gahdamn football team

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 2

Cook finally seemed to find a spot that made sense, played well enough and showed improvement and you want to move him back to Safety? I mean, I guess, as long as Harold Perkins signs. 

Cook got off to a fast start but slumped mid-season. Probably in part because he wasn’t always on the field. Seem to recall some discussion of him working at safety maybe in the preseason. Course that coulda been some other moron speculating. He wasn’t good versus WVU in the pass game and was somewhat non-existent post OU, part of that being the game plan and getting a little bigger lineup on the field.

I’m not particularly excited about Coffey and a True frosh as two of the top 3 safeties since that’s no experience. Jerrin being the other. But if Perkins comes on board, that could be the guy working the slot. The younger guys inexperience could be offset if Thompson plays consistently well.

100% speculation on my part, but Cook has reasons for coming back. If he has NFL aspirations, maybe some work at safety helps that. Since he’s coming back, that would imply the coaches like him. Adimora is gone too.

I recall seeing Barron in the nickel some early. You have Jamison and Crawford. Cook and Thompson. Then whatever true frosh we get, Coffey. So we have pieces that could result in some mix and match. If the staff likes Barron and Crawford, they’ll have to play to keep them I’d think.

I’m just hopeful we find the best group and maybe some of that personnel is TBD based on the recruiting class. Based on what we saw this year, I’d assume we’ll rotate quite a bit. And I can see a safety getting tired running in from 30 yards out every other play so maybe you need 4 of those guys.

43 minutes ago, golfclap said:

They are gonna need to convince a couple of the corners to stay before they talk to them about moving to FS.  

I agree here. I have one corner I am expecting to transfer and I suspect its a name most won't like to see in the portal.

26 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

If anyone moves to safety it needs to be Cook.

Cook would have the same struggles at safety as BJ/Adimora. Just too slow and doesn't have terribly good instincts. He could probably work as a box safety though, but in a 2 deep look, yea he'd struggle. 

3 hours ago, squeegeedegg said:

Serious question, where do we think he ends up?  I have doubts as to even his base level athleticism, much less football IQ and mental toughness.

When the career fan highlight is a teed up hit on a wr that didn't even result in a turnover, rather a penalty and an ejection... That's just a sad sad career at a school like Texas.  I'm glad no one is masochistic enough yet to make a career lowlights vid because that sucker would be at least a half hour long

Hopefully a team we play against.  It would be a nice change getting to play against 10 defenders.

4 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Crawford and Barron are the only ones anyone is going to give a shit about so what’s the deal 

They have both been recruited throughout the entire year by several other staffs. They are the 2 best man cover CBs that we have. Crawford played ~30 snaps this season total despite being clearly better than his peers in practice, despite bringing an infusion of speed that is sorely lacking, and despite the starting trio struggling in coverage (man or zone) and tackling. Barron played more but it was still marginal - again, despite bringing a speed and athleticism that was sorely lacking. These guys are simply not a good match with Terry Joseph. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

21 minutes ago, golfclap said:

They have both been recruited throughout the entire year by several other staffs. They are the 2 best man cover CBs that we have. Crawford played ~30 snaps this season total despite being clearly better than his peers in practice, despite bringing an infusion of speed that is sorely lacking, and despite the starting trio struggling in coverage (man or zone) and tackling. Barron played more but it was still marginal - again, despite bringing a speed and athleticism that was sorely lacking. These guys are simply not a good match with Terry Joseph. 

We cannot lose those two.  I wish Sark had the edge necessary to pivot swiftly away from liabilities.  He needs a hatchet man, someone like Gary Patterson, who would likely turn Crawford and Barron into AAs.

• Hook 'Em 1

How Gerry rates the remaining 'fish'

I rank the fish remaining ...

1. Ewers - QB. Starting QB with very high-end anticipation and natural passer talent. Hughe perception win needed badly.
2. Banks - three year LT, and off to NFL draft
3. Perkins - rare athlete at LB, and such a need for Texas right now. Would be huge perception win when Texas needs it.
4. Devon Campbell - OG that is such a high-end talent
5. Neto Umeozulu - Banks and Neto give you something to jacked up about at LT and RT long term.
6. The player I mentioned expected to jump in portal shortly. Immediate starter at a position of need.
7. Denver Harris - high-end talent at corner. Position of need,
8. Kam Dewberry - likely an IOL long term, but again it's perception wins needed in the program.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, cafe society said:

We cannot lose those two.  I wish Sark had the edge necessary to pivot swiftly away from liabilities.  He needs a hatchet man, someone like Gary Patterson, who would likely turn Crawford and Barron into AAs.

I think we lose one of the 2. Jamison coming back certainly didn’t help. 

5 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Really curious about who the mystery portal target is

There certainly seems like some social media smoke around Mukuba. Obviously usually doesn't mean much, but seems odd that so many of our guys are tweeting at him if there's nothing there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

I think we lose one of the 2. Jamison coming back certainly didn’t help. 

Barron seems like he’s been active in peer recruiting, so Crawford may be the higher flight risk. I am hoping that the defensive coach addition Nahlin has been promising is in the secondary and that we are cutting Terry Joseph loose after NSD1. 

13 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Barron seems like he’s been active in peer recruiting, so Crawford may be the higher flight risk. I am hoping that the defensive coach addition Nahlin has been promising is in the secondary and that we are cutting Terry Joseph loose after NSD1. 

Yeah Barron has been publicly recruiting as much as anyone on the team, about the same as X. Had a good year too, doesn't seem like he's leaving. 

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)