BSA Sexual Assault Settlement

RPM

They also had to pledge on their honor,

I will do my best
To do my duty, to God and my country, and to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight.

• Hook 'Em 1

It's well known that I am a Scouter & my Dad was a 52 year Scouter as well.

That BSA shuffled people around in an effort to avoid public embarrassment is no different than what many churches, schools or sports leagues have also done.

(This is in NO way meant to excuse the behavior or try & reduce the harm caused by BSA)

Ultimately, the fault lies with those who caused harm to youth. Scouts BSA now has protocols in place to try & eliminate this kind of activity & many of the Chartered Orgizations have a supplemental program as well (the Methodist church we are chartered through has something called "Trusted Confianza" & another nearby Troop that is chartered through a Catholic church also has some ki d of ancillary program).

The damage done to youth cannot be resolved through a monetary award, however it does move the needle more than doing nothing.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Doesn't sound like enough:

""You're talking about clients who, in some cases, were anally raped for years that are now supposed to get payouts of $3,500 ... maybe $5,000," "

Why so much art?

"The group's total assets top $1 billion and including massive tracts of land around the country, extensive holdings and financial investments, and fine art valued at $59 million according to court documents."

4 minutes ago, ROFL BOX said:

It's well known that I am a Scouter & my Dad was a 52 year Scouter as well.

That BSA shuffled people around in an effort to avoid public embarrassment is no different than what many churches, schools or sports leagues have also done.

(This is in NO way meant to excuse the behavior or try & reduce the harm caused by BSA)

Ultimately, the fault lies with those who caused harm to youth. Scouts BSA now has protocols in place to try & eliminate this kind of activity & many of the Chartered Orgizations have a supplemental program as well (the Methodist church we are chartered through has something called "Trusted Confianza" & another nearby Troop that is chartered through a Catholic church also has some ki d of ancillary program).

The damage done to youth cannot be resolved through a monetary award, however it does move the needle more than doing nothing.

It is absolutely a way to excuse the behavior.   Maybe the Baylor or Penn State message boards would be more your speed.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

7 hours ago, woohorn said:

""You're talking about clients who, in some cases, were anally raped for years that are now supposed to get payouts of $3,500 ... maybe $5,000," "

Why so much art?

"The group's total assets top $1 billion and including massive tracts of land around the country, extensive holdings and financial investments, and fine art valued at $59 million according to court documents."

wow 60,000 people were ass raped. that’s crazy!

Guest Lobo
53 minutes ago, futureman said:

If 60,000 crazy...wait until I tell the stats for the Baptist and Catholic Churches.  60k is an executive summary to them.  

I'm not sure they "shuffled people around" ala the Catholic Church.

I think it was a combination of lack of background checking and ignoring complaints/retaining leaders with complaints.

And it went on for a long time, unreported by them and undiscovered by the public.

9 minutes ago, woohorn said:

Read in another report that this settlement was only for former scouts who are now 60 yo and older, so there are other cases going on.

4 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

2016_Rude_Sign_-_The_Shocker__03489.1524

vs

png-transparent-boy-scouts-of-america-sc

I see you familiar with a Snipe Hunt.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Why so much art?

My understanding is that the settlement does not cover any local councils. This is just the portion from BSA.
  • Like 1

My kid scouts. If BSA dies, any number of the literally dozens of similar scouting organizations could fill the gap. I happen to like the resources for running a cub scout den that BSA provides, but I assume similar material exist elsewhere. I like that there is an activity/extracurricular outside of sports that kids can do outside. And I like how Boy Scouts encourages "you figure it out" independence skills.

In Texas what we could lose are those scout camps that BSA owns. Texas has way too few public parks and wilderness areas. Maybe if the Leg applies some if the rainy day billions to buying up big ranches and such. It is simply hard to find good places for our pack to run around for a weekend. You can feel itbhere in Austin - every park is jammed packed all the time.

Edited by CleverNickname
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

If 60,000 crazy...wait until I tell the stats for the Baptist and Catholic Churches.  60k is an executive summary to them.  

I'm amazed at how well the Baptists have managed to keep a lid on their scandal.  The information is out there now, but it seems like no one knows about it (or perhaps in Texas their prevalence is still large enough that everyone is just pretending like it hasn't come to light).  BSA and the RCC everyone is aware of.  Baptist Church absolutely belongs in any discussion of the holy trinity of sexual abuse with the other two.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ERhine said:

My understanding is that the settlement does not cover any local councils. This is just the portion from BSA.

I believe the 850 is BSA and locals, but does not include money from any of the insurers. The fight with the insurance companies is ongoing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, CleverNickname said:

My kid scouts. If BSA dies, any number of the literally dozens of similar scouting organizations could fill the gap. I happen to like the resources for running a cub scout den that BSA provides, but I assume similar material exist elsewhere. I like that there is an activity/extracurricular outside of sports that kids can do outside. And I like how Boy Scouts encourages "you figure it out" independence skills.

In Texas what we could lose are those scout camps that BSA owns. Texas has way too few public parks and wilderness areas. Maybe if the Leg applies some if the rainy day billions to buying up big ranches and such. It is simply hard to find good places for our pack to run around for a weekend. You can feel itbhere in Austin - every park is jammed packed all the time.

Agree about the lack of public land in Texas. For being such a big state there isn't much space for Texans to actually do any outdoor activities on.

1 hour ago, CleverNickname said:

Agreed.  We like the resources and facilities for our kids, and we enjoy the campouts with the other families.  

Our pack and troop have been solidly run, and while our kids joined the scouts well after the lawsuits, etc., we are very satisfied with the safeguards in place.  The safeguards are a helluva lot better than my wife's church.

Guest Lobo

^

Yeah, our oldest started talking about getting into scouting with her friends and the wife and I are pretty satisfied with the safeguards in place.  Obviously, something bad can always happen at the drop of a hat...but you can't let that tiny risk ruin their very high chance for a great experience. 

And then I look over at her Church as she now wants our daughter to get more involved there as well.  And I am just not even remotely sold on their protocol.  It seems to consist entirely of, "Look, we quit moving the child rapists around the country and world with no punishments.  What more do you want?"  And you're left thinking, "Well, what if you just quit protecting those people entirely?  No legal help, just let them go to jail and pay for their crimes?"  And they reply "That's not part of god's plan of forgiveness."  

If anything happened to my children while scouting, I could have the perpetrator arrested or killed within a week.  If anything happened to my children while engaged in some sort of Catholic Church activity, I have no doubt I would be killed within a week.  They are so much more powerful and full of action than people realize. 

2 hours ago, CleverNickname said:

I'm not so sure about the first part.  Cub Scouting is not really a basis on which to judge BSA.  And I am not aware of anything that would exactly replace Scouting for bigger kids.

• Hook 'Em 1

Why so much art?

giphy.gif
  • Like 1

I believe the 850 is BSA and locals, but does not include money from any of the insurers. The fight with the insurance companies is ongoing. 

I was trying to simplify it but, this is my understanding as well. Caveat being I’m not handling the docket of cases my firm has.

22 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

I'm amazed at how well the Baptists have managed to keep a lid on their scandal.  The information is out there now, but it seems like no one knows about it (or perhaps in Texas their prevalence is still large enough that everyone is just pretending like it hasn't come to light).  BSA and the RCC everyone is aware of.  Baptist Church absolutely belongs in any discussion of the holy trinity of sexual abuse with the other two.  

Right you are.

http://www.stopbaptistpredators.org/index.htm

I’ll just note that 4-H hasn’t had any issues as far as I know, and has been teaching useful stuff to all manner of youth for a long time.
https://www.augustachronicle.com/article/20130403/NEWS/304039836

https://www.abc15.com/news/crime/pd-former-glendale-4-h-coach-accused-of-sex-with-minor

https://casetext.com/case/evans-v-ohio-state-univ

It's unfortunate, but it happens.

Guest Lobo
1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

Sheep can't talk.

Not with the threat of being kicked outta the most prestigious veterinary school, they won't talk.  Duh! 

In general, no. In the context of this organiation exclusively for young men led by male scout leaders, I'd wager that most of the offending pedophiles did in fact have homosexual tendencies. Hence the $850 million payout. 

23 minutes ago, Blotto said:

In the context of this organiation exclusively for young men led by male scout leaders

They went co-ed 2 or 3 years ago, but have had plenty of females in various leadership roles over the years.  Even prior to them going co-ed, women were something like a quarter to a third of the leadership positions.  I know the troop that is associated with our Cub Scout pack has had quite a few women running things over the years (as has our Cub Scout pack).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

They went co-ed 2 or 3 years ago, but have had plenty of females in various leadership roles over the years.  Even prior to them going co-ed, women were something like a quarter to a third of the leadership positions.  I know the troop that is associated with our Cub Scout pack has had quite a few women running things over the years (as has our Cub Scout pack).

Interesting. Doesnt match my recollection  from a couple of years in cub scouts, but obviously thats just one town. I wonder if the accused in these sexual assault allegtions follow a similar percentage split. 

On 7/2/2021 at 1:38 PM, Samson's Wig said:

Whatever happened to the NCAA report & decision on the Baylor rape/coverup scandal that was supposed to be made public over a year ago?

57 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Whatever happened to the NCAA report & decision on the Baylor rape/coverup scandal that was supposed to be made public over a year ago?

Baptist coverup magic.  I have no idea how they do it, but I'll bet it's underhanded and disgusting.  

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

My mom wouldn’t let my brother and me join the Scouts because she felt they put country before God. Turns out they operate just like the Catholic Church. 

Congratulations on not being raped by a scoutmaster.  Condolences if she signed you up to be an altar boy as an alternative activity.

2 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Congratulations on not being raped by a scoutmaster.  Condolences if she signed you up to be an altar boy as an alternative activity.

We were Protestants. There was a lot of mistrust of the Catholics among my parents, aunts, and uncles. 

There is an active movement within Scouting to eliminate the requirement to have a specific belief in "God".  Part of the process has to do with "reverent" & that is relevant to units that are chartered through or populated by non-profit organizations that are not Christian in their background.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/2/2021 at 1:38 PM, Samson's Wig said:

On 7/3/2021 at 5:30 PM, Samson's Wig said:

Baptist coverup magic.  I have no idea how they do it, but I'll bet it's underhanded and disgusting.  

You do realize that Baptist churches are all independent, right? Acting like there is some grand conspiracy to keep predators under wraps among Baptists is as ludicrous as acting like there is a conspiracy between all gas station owners to do the same. Or all churches, protestant or Catholic. The fact is that there is a lot of petty bickering that goes on between churches, and they don't cooperate that well for things outside of missions.

The most likely mechanism that allows sexual predators to move about within the Baptist Church is a combination of worry about liability and general embarassment since congregational committees are typically the ones who select candidates and then the whole church votes on them. If you got generally run off from your job because you were a little too handsy with your coworkers, but there was no proof other than he said she said, the HR folks aren't going to say much about that because of liability. You get to run off to another company who will eventually run you off as well. The Baptist churches operate the same way. There is no mystery beyond the fact that religious organizations are a magnet for predators because they provide access to kids.

3 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

You do realize that Baptist churches are all independent, right? Acting like there is some grand conspiracy to keep predators under wraps among Baptists is as ludicrous as acting like there is a conspiracy between all gas station owners to do the same. Or all churches, protestant or Catholic. The fact is that there is a lot of petty bickering that goes on between churches, and they don't cooperate that well for things outside of missions.

The most likely mechanism that allows sexual predators to move about within the Baptist Church is a combination of worry about liability and general embarassment since congregational committees are typically the ones who select candidates and then the whole church votes on them. If you got generally run off from your job because you were a little too handsy with your coworkers, but there was no proof other than he said she said, the HR folks aren't going to say much about that because of liability. You get to run off to another company who will eventually run you off as well. The Baptist churches operate the same way. There is no mystery beyond the fact that religious organizations are a magnet for predators because they provide access to kids.

Excuse GIF by MOODMAN

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/5/2021 at 1:53 AM, ROFL BOX said:

There is an active movement within Scouting to eliminate the requirement to have a specific belief in "God".  Part of the process has to do with "reverent" & that is relevant to units that are chartered through or populated by non-profit organizations that are not Christian in their background.

Since there is no “God,” that movement should expand way beyond Scouting. It should already exist in the mind of any rational, educated adult. 

In middle school, our scout leader was the single mom of this learning disability kid. It became clear quickly that her motives were less about enriching her kid’s life than trying to find a man. It was uncomfortable how she was always hitting on the other dads, most of whom were married. Will this type of unwanted sexual harassment qualify my and my friends’ fathers for this settlement?

On 7/2/2021 at 1:22 PM, CleverNickname said:

It has over 1.7 million public acres of such.  That is more than Colorado, Utah, Arizona, Tennessee or Hawaii.  

47 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I'm not sure what's worse about evangelical atheists, the fact that they feel the need to come in and preach their religion anywhere the subject of god or gods comes up, or the fact that they can't understand that their beliefs are literally no different than those of the religious folks.

I’m not sure what’s worse about scientists, the fact that they feel the need to come in and preach their facts anywhere the subject of fairytales or fairytales comes up, or the fact that they can’t understand that their facts don’t want to be recognized by anyone who believes in fairytales. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

It has over 1.7 million public acres of such.  That is more than Colorado, Utah, Arizona, Tennessee or Hawaii.  

Colorado population is 5.8M. Utah is 3.2M, Arizona is 7.3M, Tennessee is 6.8M, Hawaii is 1.4M. Texas is 29M. And Texas, because it was a country, doesn't have much national forests or BLM lands. Compared to anywhere else west of the Mississippi it just doesn't have much public lands. I didn't think anyone seriously would disagree. On nice weekends in the fall/spring it is very hard to find a state campsite. There are only a handful of overnight backpacking trails in the entire state. We are something like 45 out of 50 in public lands, as a percentage of land. 

• Like 1

Where do you get this number from? The post saying “some” were ass-raped?

Ever since I was in scouting - the 90s - we had mandatory abuse training. Two Deep rules said I could not be alone with a kid (good rule). I wish I could get the hours back from waiting after a troop meeting for a late parent so that the Scout Master would not be alone with a kid waiting on a parent.

If I had to meet an Eagle candidate to discuss his project outside Troop time, I’d arrange to meet at a fast food place. Those were fast rules.

I can see how it was a problem in the past, but it was incredibly well run since I was a Scouter. If I saw an adult with a scout not his son, alone, I’d walk up and remind him or her of the two deep rule being mandatory. Women scouters let their mom instincts override sometimes.

Short version: these are mostly bad deeds done before the problem was understood.

I’m glad the victims get something, if just for closure and validation.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1