What the fuck is wrong with you, Austin?

crash_davis

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Tried to go work out. Gym was closed. Two dudes were arguing over a machine. One dude stabbed the other guy. It's closed until the cleaning crew can arrive to clean up the blood.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/la-fitness-police-austin-texas-west-anderson-lane/269-66a8727b-d9ba-4a3a-9e9d-2c415682787c

One person was arrested following a stabbing inside an LA Fitness in North Austin, according to police.

The stabbing happened at around 11:30 a.m. Friday at the gym on West Anderson Lane, near Burnet Road.

Police aren't sure what led up to the stabbing but said a man was taken into custody behind the building after running from the scene. He's expected to be charged with aggravated assault. 

The victim was taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

Yeah, but when I ask the next guy to wipe down the machine, he's gonna wipe down the machine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

7 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Tried to go work out. Gym was closed. Two dudes were arguing over a machine. One dude stabbed the other guy. It's closed until the cleaning crew can arrive to clean up the blood.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/la-fitness-police-austin-texas-west-anderson-lane/269-66a8727b-d9ba-4a3a-9e9d-2c415682787c

One person was arrested following a stabbing inside an LA Fitness in North Austin, according to police.

The stabbing happened at around 11:30 a.m. Friday at the gym on West Anderson Lane, near Burnet Road.

Police aren't sure what led up to the stabbing but said a man was taken into custody behind the building after running from the scene. He's expected to be charged with aggravated assault. 

You just brought cardio to a knife fight, bitch!

In cheerier news, murders have slowed. As of today, here is where we stand versus recent years:

2020: 5
2021: 11
2022: 13
2023: 12
2024: 8

Note that 2021 ended up being the recent record coming out of Covid.

In not cheery news, going to be mid-80s next week and the extended forecast is for warmer/drier than average. Winter is over.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

Big Tex Gym is your answer. No stabby folks there.

13 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Big Tex Gym is your answer. No stabby folks there.

Big Gym Blade?  Oh, Slade.  Tight End for the Kansas City Chiefs has satisfied pop-stars all over the world and the capital of Nebraska is Lincoln! 

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

In cheerier news, murders have slowed. As of today, here is where we stand versus recent years:
2020: 5
2021: 11
2022: 13
2023: 12
2024: 8
Note that 2021 ended up being the recent record coming out of Covid.
In not cheery news, going to be mid-80s next week and the extended forecast is for warmer/drier than average. Winter is over.

Um, 8 two months into the year when there were 12 all of last year isn’t exactly slowing.

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

Well there's your problem right there.  Get out of the 'hood, go to a gym in a better part of town.  The mean streets of Allandale and Crestview are no place for gentle folk.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

18 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Um, 8 two months into the year when there were 12 all of last year isn’t exactly slowing.

12 murders a year? What do you think we are? A modern society like Japan or somewhere in Europe?

On 2/15/2024 at 8:34 PM, HornOnTheBayou said:

You sure? I have always been told that you are supposed to take it right into the zone of danger. Ride into the zone of danger.

That’s only true for highway driving.

Just for confirmation -- the homeless issue in Austin is never going to be better, right? All I notice is that the homelessness just gets worse. More camps, more trash, with no improvement or end in site. Those motels? Boarded up and now blight. Trails and greenbelts are also being taken over, and I see it continue to creep more and more. You can go on Google Maps and see camps in green space everywhere.

If you're compassionate and try to provide resources and help, it turns the city into a magnet. But we can't even handle who we've got now. 

Meanwhile, you've got to think that more and more residents are going to get fed up and just leave. Hell, I have a kid. I don't want to raise a kid where we have to be careful about which trail we go down in the Greenbelt. 

image.png.f69d47323a20b6b4487a4d996462b4dc.png

image.png.91adb75f6b0c978ca3e9379b68587c20.png

image.png.aa5d2faea40f453becb91f9053e34d5d.png

image.png.7551fda7865d9c98211ba9dc35bebde5.png

I'm not sure if it predated the latest version of the site, but I couldn't find a thread here relating to the Austin Bomber of 2018.

But the Investigation Discovery show See No Evil did an episode tonight about it, including surveillance footage I hadn't seen before. If anyone cares to watch it.

I was doing package delivery back then, too, and got pulled over at least 3 times checking to see who I was and why I was taking boxes to people's doors. And had a couple people follow me around or confront me about what I was doing.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Just for confirmation -- the homeless issue in Austin is never going to be better, right? All I notice is that the homelessness just gets worse. More camps, more trash, with no improvement or end in site. Those motels? Boarded up and now blight. Trails and greenbelts are also being taken over, and I see it continue to creep more and more. You can go on Google Maps and see camps in green space everywhere.

If you're compassionate and try to provide resources and help, it turns the city into a magnet. But we can't even handle who we've got now. 

Meanwhile, you've got to think that more and more residents are going to get fed up and just leave. Hell, I have a kid. I don't want to raise a kid where we have to be careful about which trail we go down in the Greenbelt. 

image.png.f69d47323a20b6b4487a4d996462b4dc.png

image.png.91adb75f6b0c978ca3e9379b68587c20.png

image.png.aa5d2faea40f453becb91f9053e34d5d.png

image.png.7551fda7865d9c98211ba9dc35bebde5.png

How long did it take you to compile those images?  I’m as big a google maps nerd as anyone and it never occurred to me to use it as a homeless camp identifier. 

8 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

How long did it take you to compile those images?  I’m as big a google maps nerd as anyone and it never occurred to me to use it as a homeless camp identifier. 

Five minutes if you know where to look, which is any green space that's not an official park that's next to a major thoroughfare. For instance, instead of keeping a green space along Braker Lane between 183 and MoPac, UT just had to install a chainlink fence with barbed wire around their property with big no trespassing signs. So instead of greenery, we get barbed wire and fences.

image.png.06f26c06e758e6fd9964271c533bf243.png

image.png.b52c58ef522aa28b18b7d3f2f2aadea7.png

image.png.3a47ba060ec03795e67251ef6803e176.png

A couple years ago Denver recognized the negative effect the homeless in downtown were having on business and tourism. In about six months they pushed most of them out and down I-25 to Colorado Springs. Austin should bring in some Denver folks to help relocate their urban campers to San Antonio.

why is it that cops never ever ever direct traffic in this city? stoplight out? thunderdome. stalled car? thunderdome. closed lane for construction? thunderdome. 

also the way the stoplights are programmed in this city is fucking stupid. sunday morning stoplights shouldn't run the same exact way as Tuesday 4pm stoplights. stoplights at road closures for construction should be turned off or blinking. hell, we need more blinking red and yellows at night and on Sunday mornings. 

wtf.

• Hook 'Em 3

28 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

also the way the stoplights are programmed in this city is fucking stupid. sunday morning stoplights shouldn't run the same exact way as Tuesday 4pm stoplights. stoplights at road closures for construction should be turned off or blinking. hell, we need more blinking red and yellows at night and on Sunday mornings. 

Here’s my local traffic bitch along those lines:

The timing of the lights at Burnet and North Loop are maddeningly moronic. Green for the Burnet traffic for a long time, and then the traffic backed up on North Loop gets a fraction of the time to get through the intersection, which really sucks in late afternoon when nearby Lamar and McCallum schools get out. 

And the city made it worse by closing a dedicated right turn lane on eastbound North Loop at this intersection for it’s “mobility” bullshit. If you live in my hood, you know what I’m talking about.

For decades this city has been putting fucking idiots in charge of the city’s infrastructure.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Herbie Hancock said:

A couple years ago Denver recognized the negative effect the homeless in downtown were having on business and tourism. In about six months they pushed most of them out and down I-25 to Colorado Springs. Austin should bring in some Denver folks to help relocate their urban campers to San Antonio.

IMG_9463.jpeg

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

why is it that cops never ever ever direct traffic in this city? stoplight out? thunderdome. stalled car? thunderdome. closed lane for construction? thunderdome. 

You mean tasks/duties that help with public safety?  Sir, these are police.

also you never know what’s going to happen when you direct traffic. Traffic = outdoors = trees = ACORNSSSSSSS

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

The timing of the lights at Burnet and North Loop are maddeningly moronic. Green for the Burnet traffic for a long time, and then the traffic backed up on North Loop gets a fraction of the time to get through the intersection, which really sucks in late afternoon when nearby Lamar and McCallum schools get out. 

And the city made it worse by closing a dedicated right turn lane on eastbound North Loop at this intersection for it’s “mobility” bullshit. If you live in my hood, you know what I’m talking about.

We went to Home Slice last night.  The lights were fucked up then, too.

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

I don't think they really give a shit about smart traffic flow. How else are they going to convince people that mass transit is the solution to their traffic woes? Meanwhile, we have City Council members talking a big game about initiatives (read: spending money) to help combat climate change. How about all the cars sitting through multiple light cycles trying to make a fucking left turn to get to work because some dipshit timed the light to let exactly four cars through during rush hour? 

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

And the city made it worse by closing a dedicated right turn lane on eastbound North Loop at this intersection for it’s “mobility” bullshit.

We'll be reminded that improved sidewalks and bike lanes are what passed in the mobility bond. I'm not sure it would have gotten the same support if people understood the trade off of constricting traffic flow to get those improvements. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

wtf.

As cheap as electronics & video are these days, if Austin was serious about reducing air pollution via greenhouse gases, the city would equip all the major intersections with computers that could ease the ridiculously stupid & unnecessary traffic buildup that burns an unimaginable tonnage of gasoline & diesel every day

On 10/2/2023 at 2:50 PM, TexArcher said:

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

Here’s my local traffic bitch along those lines:

For decades this city has been putting fucking idiots in charge of the city’s infrastructure.

We like going to meet our oldfart happy hour group at La Mancha on Hancock once every couple of months. 
However, the aggravation of leaving the restaurant about 5 or 5:30 in the middle of rush hour to drive north on Burnet to 183 to get onto northbound MoPac is worse than driving I-35. 

24 minutes ago, Cap33 said:

How about all the cars sitting through multiple light cycles trying to make a fucking left turn to get to work because some dipshit timed the light to let exactly four cars through during rush hour?

You mean two cars, maybe, depending on how long it takes for the first person in line to look up from their phone?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 3

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/crime/increased-patrols-schools-after-string-of-alleged-abduction-attempts/500-661187dd-429a-445e-a4d0-a454b2a4973c

Hopefully, they catch the POS perp before he kidnaps and kills somebody’s daughter. I would almost guarantee this person has a record and shouldn’t be out free. As is the case with most of these POS. They CANNOT be rehabilitated and quite honestly we should spend more time on young people and foster kids and such and stop worrying about the POS who are wasted of space. They should be incarcerated for life. Or dead. I don’t care which. 

SMDH. We spend so much time worried about the absolute shittiest fuck ups in society when we should be saving people who haven’t earned the right to be fucking eradicated. It baffles me. We linger over the worst of society and lament it. Instead of recognizing some people aren’t worth it. 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Cap33 said:

We'll be reminded that improved sidewalks and bike lanes are what passed in the mobility bond. I'm not sure it would have gotten the same support if people understood the trade off of constricting traffic flow to get those improvements. 

Never underestimate the naiveté of the average Austin voter.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 years ago you didn't go into downtown Denver at night. We were told not to wear our dress uniforms downtown because the Bloods would kill anyone in the wrong area in blue. A high school kid got shot and killed for wearing a red baseball cap while unknowingly riding a bike thru a Crips area.
  • Rage+1 1

I don't think they really give a shit about smart traffic flow.

They don’t. Just look at Congress. They put a protected turn lane at 5th but not at 7th, which is the street people turn down to get to 35. Made no sense. And without the 3rd lane, now traffic stacks up because of people wanting to be in the right hand lane to turn onto 6th.
  • Hook 'Em 1

35 years ago you didn't go into downtown Denver at night. We were told not to wear our dress uniforms downtown because the Bloods would kill anyone in the wrong area in blue. A high school kid got shot and killed for wearing a red baseball cap while unknowingly riding a bike thru a Crips area.

Even the gangbangers got tired of the homeless in Denver. Now you have to go to Wheat Ridge to find anyone of ill repute!

21 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I use my DJI as a fun way to keep tabs on our greenbelt. I haven’t needed to use it to drop water balloons yet. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Primary early voting start tomorrow. On the ballot is our terrible DA -- Jose Garza -- and I feel like there hasn't been shit mentioned about this race. In other words, we're going to be stuck with him again. 

image.png.cfafde0234043284b435310cb45cc80c.png

On 2/18/2024 at 8:12 AM, Herbie Hancock said:

San Antonio was already much faster on the draw in this regard.

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Primary early voting start tomorrow. On the ballot is our terrible DA -- Jose Garza -- and I feel like there hasn't been shit mentioned about this race. In other words, we're going to be stuck with him again. 

I've seen a few tv spots for Sylestine . . . emphasizes "tough on crime" 

On 2/18/2024 at 8:16 AM, hayden_horn said:

wtf.

They are too busy chatting over the free food and coffee at the Rudy’s on Lamar.  Roll my eyes every time I see them all SWAT’ed up with tactical gear. 

On 2/18/2024 at 8:16 AM, hayden_horn said:

wtf.

There aren't enough officers right now.  Any given shift there are sometimes only 30-40 officers for the entire city of Austin.  

3 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

anyone but Garza, come on down Jeremy

From the article posted, it looks like Soros dumped Jose after contributing $650,000 in 2020

"Garza’s January filing was much less interesting (no George Soros donations this round). He took in just over $39,000 – perhaps because he entered the primary with a mountain of cash on hand. He spent $112,000, which left him with about $158,000 in cash as of Jan. 25."

Edited by ChickenSandwich