Negative Recruiting Your Own School: The aggy Screenshot Megathread

texifornia

28 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Yeah, I was gonna say . . . Weigman looked good in part because his release is pretty quick and he made quick decisions.  He didn't jack around and hesitate like many frosh QBs starting their first games.  So in those respects, he looked good.  He was also quite accurate on the majority of his short and intermediate reads.  

But he was helped by the fact that Ole Miss had no college film on him.  Things will get tougher once opposing DCs start developing a book on him.  He was also aided by the fact that he was playing at home in front of a supportive crowd.    

Other thoughts after seeing what I think were pretty much all of his throws:

-- Although his release is quick on the shorter stuff, it looked like he really had to wind up in order to spin it deep or when he wanted to put some extra velocity on deep outs and similar routes.  His arm strength doesn't appear to be top level -- certainly not up to the level of Ewers, for example.  Weigman can't just flick his wrist and put the ball 20-30 yards downfield like some QBs.  He has to wind up a bit, which will give opposing DBs opportunities to break on the ball.  

-- He got away with a handful (4 or 5) questionable decisions/throws.  In other games, some of those are going to be incompletions or even picks.  Stewart, for example, bailed him out more than once.  For the most part, though, I thought Weigman's decisionmaking was good, esp. for a true frosh playing his first game.  He seems a whole lot less jittery than King when he's in the pocket. 

--  As would be expected, accuracy degraded significantly on the handful of occasions when he was under pressure.

--  Ability to withstand hits and take punishment is still an open question.  But he doesn't strike me as being a twig waiting to be snapped like King. 

He also threw it as hard as he could every single throw. It was weird seeing him fire a frozen rope to a 5 yard slant, but Stewart and Muhammed made him look good bringing those in. 

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Yeah, I was gonna say . . . Weigman looked good in part because his release is pretty quick and he made quick decisions.  He didn't jack around and hesitate like many frosh QBs starting their first games.  So in those respects, he looked good.  He was also quite accurate on the majority of his short and intermediate reads.  

But he was helped by the fact that Ole Miss had no college film on him.  Things will get tougher once opposing DCs start developing a book on him.  He was also aided by the fact that he was playing at home in front of a supportive crowd.    

Other thoughts after seeing what I think were pretty much all of his throws:

-- Although his release is quick on the shorter stuff, it looked like he really had to wind up in order to spin it deep or when he wanted to put some extra velocity on deep outs and similar routes.  His arm strength doesn't appear to be top level -- certainly not up to the level of Ewers, for example.  Weigman can't just flick his wrist and put the ball 20-30 yards downfield like some QBs.  He has to wind up a bit, which will give opposing DBs opportunities to break on the ball.  

-- He got away with a handful (4 or 5) questionable decisions/throws.  In other games, some of those are going to be incompletions or even picks.  Stewart, for example, bailed him out more than once.  For the most part, though, I thought Weigman's decisionmaking was good, esp. for a true frosh playing his first game.  He seems a whole lot less jittery than King when he's in the pocket. 

--  As would be expected, accuracy degraded significantly on the handful of occasions when he was under pressure.

--  Ability to withstand hits and take punishment is still an open question.  But he doesn't strike me as being a twig waiting to be snapped like King. 

As far as CWs' throwing motion goes, I found it odd somehow,  like an infielder firing one to first base to beat the baserunning.  Also seemed to have to put a lot of effort into throwing the ball. 

1 hour ago, SHOOTER12 said:

As far as CWs' throwing motion goes, I found it odd somehow,  like an infielder firing one to first base to beat the baserunning.  Also seemed to have to put a lot of effort into throwing the ball. 

Yup, I saw the same thing on long throws in particular.  More of a baseball throwing motion than most QBs.  Had to wind up a couple times to throw deep outs or across the field to the opposite hash.  Almost seems to "push" the ball at times rather than letting it spin out naturally.  Maybe it's something that can be corrected to an extent, but my guess is that mechanical tweaks will add only so much. 

I'm one who thinks accuracy is generally more important than "arm talent" in a QB, but at some point the need to wind up to throw the "fastball" is going to give an opposing DB an opportunity to drive on a receiver's break and make a play on the ball. 

Edited by Carl Spackler
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Carl Spackler said:

Yup, I saw the same thing on long throws in particular.  More of a baseball throwing motion than most QBs.  Had to wind up a couple times to throw deep outs or across the field to the opposite hash.  Almost seems to "push" the ball at times rather than letting it spin out naturally.  Maybe it's something that can be corrected to an extent, but my guess is that mechanical tweaks will add only so much. 

I'm one who thinks accuracy is generally more important than "arm talent" in a QB, but at some point the need to wind up to throw the "fastball" is going to give an opposing DB an opportunity to drive on a receiver's break and make a play on the ball. 

I believe it was Steve Young who made the comment that mechanics are important, but nothing will fix an unnatural thrower. His opinion was that you can watch a QB and instantly tell whether their throwing motion is natural or a taught mechanic that will break down with pressure and unable to make the high level throws.  Not making any comment on Weigman at this stage (only an idoit/aggy would), but you can only do so much with a guy's motion. Especially if rooted in baseball mechanics.

They live in such a dream world. They're the good guys and most everyone else are poor to bad with tu being pure evil. That sets up a pretty delusional worldview.

They bought a bunch of players last year, yet redass Aggies are so affronted at any suggestion those players came from the east and south because they love A&M as much as real Aggies do. How could they not? Aggies are the best people in the world and wherever they congregate is the best place to be once you get it.

They were prone to anthropomorphise Jimbo as deeply committed to A&M and proud to be an Aggie. They took a stange pride in the irony of having to pay him unprecedented money over unprecedented time to get him to come. Yep, Jimbo was dying to be an Aggie

When Calzada struggled last year, they thought a BBQ where concerned Aggie fathers could buck up Calzada was a very reasonable idea.

Aggies who are not even in the corps argue that A&M is a military school. 

Ah, you all know the drill. Weirdos.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Why would anyone call King QB1 at this point? 

if he was being a smartass? not sure.

6 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Fisher named Weigman.

thx!

5 minutes ago, Hornbeliever said:

The one who is better than VY, Weigman.  He is subtly saying his head hurts

if he misses a game for concussion symptoms there needs to be a full investigation into how the injury at the end of the game was handled

i hope we see schools change the "checking out the guy who may have had a concussion" protocol based on this.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, NoName said:

if he was being a smartass? not sure.

thx!

if he misses a game for concussion symptoms there needs to be a full investigation into how the injury at the end of the game was handled

i hope we see schools change the "checking out the guy who may have had a concussion" protocol based on this.

I think the aggies see a way to fire Jimbo for cause. If Weigman was concussed and sent back into the game, they have him.  I wonder if they would have to pay the total due if fired for cause?  Word is jimmy Sexton was in CS…could be a negotiation. 

2 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I'm sure it's somewhere in this thread, but was that story that Weigman's parents were kind of on a hair trigger for pulling him due to concussions just fake news?

That was the rumor. When you have a number of concussions early, new ones are easier to come by. It sounds like that is what is happening here if the stories are true. The kid should just go play baseball if he is interested in his longterm future. 

21 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

That was the rumor. When you have a number of concussions early, new ones are easier to come by. It sounds like that is what is happening here if the stories are true. The kid should just go play baseball if he is interested in his longterm future. 

But that seems incongruous with starting the week after you got your bell rung in your first full game.

1 hour ago, Harvdog said:

I think the aggies see a way to fire Jimbo for cause. If Weigman was concussed and sent back into the game, they have him.  I wonder if they would have to pay the total due if fired for cause?  Word is jimmy Sexton was in CS…could be a negotiation. 

If they take tens of millions away from him, or try, would he just keep quiet about their recruiting practices?

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I was curious about this and haven't been keeping up with the boards.  Could have sworn I read well before this latest incident his parents had concussion concerns.  I mean if you have concussion history, a coach that doesn't give a shit about your health (as evidenced by Jimbo's lack of concern in the 4th quarter) and essentially a guaranteed baseball future, I'm not sure why wasting time in football unless you just really love the game (which might very well be the case).

Edited by Skipper

I hope Weigman is fine. That said, him medically retiring from football would be kind of perfect for aggy. They'd be undefeated in every hypothetical matchup for the next four years with four imaginary championships and Heisman trophies. Every year, King/Johnson/[fill in the blank] is going to lead them to glory... and then they actually play. If Weigman doesn't play, the fantasy never has to end. 

Edited by Texasrocks
grammar is harder than winning
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

40 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

But that seems incongruous with starting the week after you got your bell rung in your first full game.

13 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I was curious about this and haven't been keeping up with the boards.  Could have sworn I read well before this latest incident his parents had concussion concerns.  I mean if you have concussion history, a coach that doesn't give a shit about your health (as evidenced by Jimbo's lack of concern in the 4th quarter) and essentially a guaranteed baseball future, I'm not sure why wasting time in football unless you just really love the game (which might very well be the case).

I've posted previously that, per folks I deal with who are involved with the CFB landscape, he had multiple concussions in HS and his parents were anxious about that rearing its head in college. They supposedly also weren't feeling like they'd been leveled with during the recruitment by Fisher and company, specifically because of the way the QB situation was unfolding this season.

Now, those guys with that kind of POV are guys that have plenty of credibility here and across the country, but they're only as good as the info folks are willing to pass on. @Dennis Taylor, I believe, is a friend of the family and has an argument that calls into question the info I've posted and just reiterated, so it would be prudent if he were able to post those thoughts here so everyone can have a better picture, myself included. I don't know the player or family whatsoever. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I've posted previously that, per folks I deal with who are involved with the CFB landscape, he had multiple concussions in HS and his parents were anxious about that rearing its head in college. They supposedly also weren't feeling like they'd been leveled with during the recruitment by Fisher and company, specifically because of the way the QB situation was unfolding this season.

Now, those guys with that kind of POV are guys that have plenty of credibility here and across the country, but they're only as good as the info folks are willing to pass on. @Dennis Taylor, I believe, is a friend of the family and has an argument that calls into question the info I've posted and just reiterated, so it would be prudent if he were able to post those thoughts here so everyone can have a better picture, myself included. I don't know the player or family whatsoever. 

Yes, IIRC @Dennis Taylor has stated that Weigman had one concussion in HS. It's also been stated that Weigman hasn't swung a bat in 18 months or so and is NOT a pitcher so take that for what it's worth. I don't know what kind of baseball prospect he is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harvdog said:

So was Kiffin who is also a Sexton client.

3 hours ago, Harvdog said:

Auburn job opened up so, if he's there, I'm sure it's a negotiation - for an extension & more money. That's the aggy way.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

3 hours ago, C-Man said:

Yes, IIRC @Dennis Taylor has stated that Weigman had one concussion in HS. It's also been stated that Weigman hasn't swung a bat in 18 months or so and is NOT a pitcher so take that for what it's worth. I don't know what kind of baseball prospect he is.

Here's what I've said, which are the facts not an argument. 

- 1 concussion in high school

- played short and third, no pitching whatsoever 

- might have played some select ball in summer of 21, otherwise hasn't played baseball since junior season ended in May of 21. Had it not been obvious early on he was leaning towards football he would have been drafted fairly high. Hard to say how high 

Parents have never said he'd give up football for baseball for injury or any other reason. They also wouldn't say anything to anyone if they were happy with his situation or not. 

Not sure if he was concussed Saturday or not. But people with his best interests at heart said he's fine. I think it's fair to say any qb is susceptible to injury if they take a shot to the head, or land on the back of their head, or get driven into the turf on their shoulder with a 250 pound LB along for the ride to make sure they stick the landing for that matter.  

I'll defer to all the above posts by qb mechanics experts, but I guess he had a lot of people snowed to get a 5 star rating, be in the Elite 11, and dozens of offers. 

Edited by Dennis Taylor
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

- might have played some select ball in summer of 21, otherwise hasn't played baseball since junior season ended in May of 21. 

Parents have never said he'd give up football for baseball for injury or any other reason. They also wouldn't say anything to anyone if they were happy with his situation or not. 

Not sure if he was concussed Saturday or not. But people with his best interests at heart said he's fine. I think it's fair to say any qb is susceptible to injury if they take a shot to the head, or land on the back of their head, or get driven into the turf on their shoulder with a 250 pound LB along for the ride to make sure they stick the landing for that matter.  

I'll defer to all the abposts by qb mechanics experts, but I guess he had a lot of people snowed to get a 5 star rating, be in the Elite 11, and dozens of offers. 

Obviously the parents have concern for his well-being, but do you know if there is heightened concern due to the HS injury or the Q4 play vs Ole Miss?  I know he seems to be alright, but that play demonstrates how the injury can "pop up".

10 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

- might have played some select ball in summer of 21, otherwise hasn't played baseball since junior season ended in May of 21. Had it not been obvious early on he was leaning towards football he would have been drafted fairly high. Hard to say how high 

I'll defer to all the above posts by qb mechanics experts, but I guess he had a lot of people snowed to get a 5 star rating, be in the Elite 11, and dozens of offers. 

I have known both of his parents for 30+ years and this is 100% accurate - "They also wouldn't say anything to anyone if they were happy with his situation or not."  

• Hook 'Em 4

29 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I respect a family that values their privacy but that makes it seem like they also might be the type of people who don't share the exact number of head injuries their son has had with every family friend. 

I was at all 48 Bridgeland games that group played in, no other head injuries.  But impressive mental gymnastics 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Thanks for the clarification on this. All things considered, I actually thought Weigman looked pretty good, certainly better than Haynes King or even Max Johnson looked.

1 hour ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Seems like the kid comes from a good family. Hoping for the best for him, and the worst for Aggy. Thanks for sharing.

• Hook 'Em 1

• texifornia changed the title to Negative Recruiting Your Own School: The aggy Screenshot Megathread