Negative Recruiting Your Own School: The aggy Screenshot Megathread

texifornia

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

When they do axe him, I think they're going to target another "big time" hire that they have to moneywhip and who has hair all over their veneer as a HC that only aggie and then the media will be all too ready to overlook. I don't see how they get someone like Swinney, when he would just get a comparable raise to whatever the idiots offer him. Same for Heupel. I doubt Fickell is flashy enough. Who knows who will be flashy in a year or two? 

The fun part of this never ends. They'll eventually convince themselves that they need to hire an up and comer and I assume get that one wrong for all of the same wrong reasons as well.  

Why does the next hire always seems to be in response to the weaknesses of the previous hire? That phenomenon seems to be everywhere, not just at A&M. Defensive guy didn't work out? Hire an offensive guy. Older, experienced guy couldn't adapt to modern game? Take a flyer on a young up and comer. Last guy was an overbearing abrasive disciplinarian? Hire a players coach. 

We've done it here for years. Hired Mackovick in response to Akers offensive drudgery. Hired folksy homegrown McWilliams in response to Mackovick's Yankee wine sipping aloofness. Hired Mack in response to McWilliams' disorganization and lack of recruiting chops. Hired Strong to clean out the culture in response to Mack's a country club. Hired up and coming Mensa offensive guy in response to Strong's incompetence and offensive futility. Hired affable Sarkisian in response to dickhead Herman's arrogance. 

I'm not sure what the reaction to the Jimbo Fisher era is, though. I'm sure they think that the only thing wrong with their program is his antiquated offense, so they will probably go for the next young, spread guru. They also see what's happening in Knoxville so that probably seems like the path forward for them. Of course, the only given is that they will fuck it up. It's what they do. #aggieDNA

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

There is no media buy-in right now regarding Fisher and that program. The only people who would be giving a shit about either scenario would be aggies. I heard one of the talking heads on XM84 talking about what a cocky dickhead Fisher was to them at the SEC Media Days and you could feel the visceral disgust the guy had for him.

i think this was a lot of the difference between Mack and Jimbo. Mack made friends in the media and as a result they had his back longer than lots of other folks did.

Jimbo is 57 and has yet to learn that being an asshole when you don't have to or need to will come back and bite you in the ass approximately 100% of the time.

add in that everyone in the SEC has been sharpening knives for the last 9 months and you know it won't get any easier.

Klatt said on Wed that if his buyout was $30m he thinks he would be toast this offseason. i think if it was even half of what it is (so $43m) they would be trying to fundraise to bump him.

instead they gave a guy who was shown to have little motivation and being ok with leaving you a total and complete dumpster fire a long term, fully guaranteed contract and now 14 months into a TEN YEAR deal they want to get rid of the guy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

I was talking about them firing him for cause so they wouldn’t have to drum up funds for his buyout. I agree it probably won’t happen, but it’s certainly fun to think about and nothing is really out of the realm of possibility with them.

i truly wish them luck if they are willing to roll the dice on firing him for cause around concussion and concussion protocol. that is going to be a very, very, very ugly divorce with Jimbo burning it all to the ground on the way out.

if you are going to attempt to screw a guy out of $86m, you better be damn sure you have everything you need. oh yeah, and don't forget who his agent is and know the downstream impact that is going to have on the future.

• Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Why does the next hire always seems to be in response to the weaknesses of the previous hire? That phenomenon seems to be everywhere, not just at A&M. Defensive guy didn't work out? Hire an offensive guy. Older, experienced guy couldn't adapt to modern game? Take a flyer on a young up and comer. Last guy was an overbearing abrasive disciplinarian? Hire a players coach. 

We've done it here for years. Hired Mackovick in response to Akers offensive drudgery. Hired folksy homegrown McWilliams in response to Mackovick's Yankee wine sipping aloofness. Hired Mack in response to McWilliams' disorganization and lack of recruiting chops. Hired Strong to clean out the culture in response to Mack's a country club. Hired up and coming Mensa offensive guy in response to Strong's incompetence and offensive futility. Hired affable Sarkisian in response to dickhead Herman's arrogance. 

I'm not sure what the reaction to the Jimbo Fisher era is, though. I'm sure they think that the only thing wrong with their program is his antiquated offense, so they will probably go for the next young, spread guru. They also see what's happening in Knoxville so that probably seems like the path forward for them. Of course, the only given is that they will fuck it up. It's what they do. #aggieDNA

Akers > McWilliams > Mackovic > Mack

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

As far as I can tell with some quick googling, the largest buyout ever paid to fire a coach was 21.5MM to Gus Malzahn. I assume A&M will be willing to at least triple that (because of course they will), but they'll still have to wait until after the 2024 season when Jimbo's remaining salary drops to 67.5MM.

I don’t think there’s any way they can afford to buyout Jimbo and his assistants and pay buyouts and salaries for a new coach and his assistants by the end of next year. That would mean having to have around $40 million in cash within a few months plus paying a new coach top of the market salary while also paying Jimbo $7mm per year.

Unless of course they issue some more bonds for the stadium or Sharpe finds 8 figures of disaster relief funds just sitting around somewhere. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NoName said:

i think this was a lot of the difference between Mack and Jimbo. Mack made friends in the media and as a result they had his back longer than lots of other folks did.

Jimbo is 57 and has yet to learn that being an asshole when you don't have to or need to will come back and bite you in the ass approximately 100% of the time.

add in that everyone in the SEC has been sharpening knives for the last 9 months and you know it won't get any easier.

Klatt said on Wed that if his buyout was $30m he thinks he would be toast this offseason. i think if it was even half of what it is (so $43m) they would be trying to fundraise to bump him.

instead they gave a guy who was shown to have little motivation and being ok with leaving you a total and complete dumpster fire a long term, fully guaranteed contract and now 14 months into a TEN YEAR deal they want to get rid of the guy.

Thinking back on it, I wonder what would have happened if Jimbo was in a shotgun marriage with FSU for another few years. That program was in such shambles when he left, they are STILL digging out of it.

If the bloom is coming off of Jimbo's recruiting pitch rose, there is literally nothing else that he is good at. He runs the program like an 80's high school coach who just looks the other way on everything, including player health and felonious activity. He sucks as an offensive playcaller. His talent evaluations, particularly at the QB and OL, are hilariously bad. He has killed the careers of more 5 star receivers than Deion Sanders. It is amazing to me that aggy seems to be continually loading up on defense to hide their ineptitude at offensive recruiting without dropping stupid amounts of money, stacking absurd levels of talent in a few places, and then having the defense underperform.

There is no stupid and desperate team to swoop in this time with a bailout. Jimbo just has to sit in the festering shit he created and deal with it. This could be really really entertaining to watch.   

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, Masshole Horn said:

Akers > McWilliams > Mackovic > Mack

Goddammit. The point still stands even if my memory sucks. McWilliams was a Royal guy in response to them hiring Akers instead Mike Campbell. Mackovick still hired in response to McWilliams offense sucking. Folksy Mack in response to Mackovick yankee aloofness. Jesus I need to get some sleep.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

If Jimbo is fired this is payout structure(I'm only going next 3 years)

Due within 60 days:
2022:  $21,487,500
2023: $19,200,00
2024: $16,887,500

120 Days after the payment amount due within 60 days starts the recurring payments start.
Recurring Payment Amount:
2022: $7,162,500
2023: $7,200,00
2024: $7,237,500

So within the first 6 months he's due 25% of his buyout plus the recurring payment through 2031.
Total Due Within 6 months:
2022: $28,650,000
2023: $26,400,000
2024: $24,125,000

Add in you'll have 10-15 million in buyouts for assistants regardless of year and it's very very pricey plus the cost of bringing in an entire new staff.

95122b248ab03f024731bcf9b6a3e0ef.gif
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, NoName said:

Mack made friends in the media and as a result they had his back longer than lots of other folks did.

Beyond that, he made friends with all the state HS coaches.  Bringing in Bruce Chambers from Dallas Carter was genius.  Changing the entire paradigm of early committments was another.  

Then he got fat....

• Hook 'Em 5

11 minutes ago, NoName said:

i truly wish them luck if they are willing to roll the dice on firing him for cause around concussion and concussion protocol. that is going to be a very, very, very ugly divorce with Jimbo burning it all to the ground on the way out.

if you are going to attempt to screw a guy out of $86m, you better be damn sure you have everything you need. oh yeah, and don't forget who his agent is and know the downstream impact that is going to have on the future.

Latest Stephen Root GIFs | Gfycat

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

19 minutes ago, NoName said:

But they’re just the school to do it. Honor and integrity above all, except when they killed a bunch of kids with blatant negligence then hid behind sovereign immunity. They’re liars and frauds. Always have been. It’s a turdition. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Goddammit. The point still stands even if my memory sucks. McWilliams was a Royal guy in response to them hiring Akers instead Mike Campbell. Mackovick still hired in response to McWilliams offense sucking. Folksy Mack in response to Mackovick yankee aloofness. Jesus I need to get some sleep.

Dumb question...before my time but who is Mike Campbell?

Remember when the aggies had a lot of players sitting out the bowl game last year so they just lied and called it Covid and fucked the bowl the week before?

That’s a culture problem. 

Maybe they can claim the flu the rest of the season and for some games they’ve already played. “Only played 3 games in 2022 due to a flu epidemic. Jimbo saved many lives by his quick actions.”

Lying unethical university. Fuck them. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

If they are going to go the opposite of Jimbo, I  think it would have to be grossly underpaid and effective.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Remember when the aggies had a lot of players sitting out the bowl game last year so they just lied and called it Covid and fucked the bowl the week before?

That’s a culture problem. 

Maybe they can claim the flu the rest of the season and for some games they’ve already played. “Only played 3 games in 2022 due to a flu epidemic. Jimbo saved many lives by his quick actions.”

Lying unethical university. Fuck them. 

It’s also completely antithetical to the core identity that they perpetuate about 12th man and stepping up and never giving up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Scipio tells the story (I forget to whom he attributed it) that after firing Akers in 1986, Texas was in serious talks with John Cooper at Arizona State. They got down to time to make the offer, Cooper was very interested, and they slid the amount written on a piece of paper across the table to him. Cooper looks at the piece of paper and says “this is what my offensive coordinator makes.”  

And that’s how they ended up with David McWilliams.  

Edited by Duane Moore
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Butch Had Not said:

Dumb question...before my time but who is Mike Campbell?

Longtime assistant for DKR.  With him at Miss State, Washington, and then Texas.  DKR hand-picked him to be his successor. But, BMDs said Campbell was too old and went with Akers.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

I don’t think there’s any way they can afford to buyout Jimbo and his assistants and pay buyouts and salaries for a new coach and his assistants by the end of next year. That would mean having to have around $40 million in cash within a few months plus paying a new coach top of the market salary while also paying Jimbo $7mm per year.

Unless of course they issue some more bonds for the stadium or Sharpe finds 8 figures of disaster relief funds just sitting around somewhere. 

It would actually be more than 40 million.

Jimbo $28,650,000 due within 6 months

Lets estimate low end of $10 million for current staff buyout, I'm sure their coordinators contracts are multiyear so it could be even higher.

New coach buyout, lets say $5 million low end for a quality coach type

Cost of new staff for coach we will go low again at $10 Million.

At minimum you're looking at $50 million plus.

If new coach doesn't have buyout $45 million plus all within a year.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

11 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Guitar player in the Heartbreakers. Co-author of The Boys of Summer, Here Comes My Girl, Runnin' Down a Dream, and Refugee. Former touring member of Fleetwood Mac. Shredder extraordinaire. 

Mike Campbell's Dirty Knobs Announce Debut Album and Tour

One of the smoothest players around. “Mike Campbell has never wasted a note”.

Edited by Wishbone

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

It would actually be more than 40 million.

Jimbo $28,650,000 due within 6 months

Lets estimate low end of $10 million for current staff buyout, I'm sure their coordinators contracts are multiyear so it could be even higher.

New coach buyout, lets say $5 million low end for a quality coach type

Cost of new staff for coach we will go low again at $10 Million.

At minimum you're looking at $50 million plus.

If new coach doesn't have buyout $45 million plus all within a year.

Tom Herman is rested and ready

3 minutes ago, Grimas said:

I get they joy of attending the aggy game tomorrow... (Nephew in the corps and it's the one chance to see him "march in" before he graduates...) Told wife I was gonna wear burnt orange but was told by my aggy BIL it might not be wise...

Tell him to piss up a rope, and wear what you want to wear. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 5

8 minutes ago, Grimas said:

I get they joy of attending the aggy game tomorrow... (Nephew in the corps and it's the one chance to see him "march in" before he graduates...) Told wife I was gonna wear burnt orange but was told by my aggy BIL it might not be wise...

Is the nephew like a son to you or something? I would be a happy and hard fucking no on something like that unless, God forbid, it was my own child or grandchild.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• texifornia changed the title to Negative Recruiting Your Own School: The aggy Screenshot Megathread