2021 Fall Camp Thread - Bend Over & I’ll Continue Showing You

BurntOrange&White

4 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Yeah, uh, when you consistently “play terrible” against a certain opponent, to the tune of 2-8 in a decade, it gets to “I’ll believe it when I see it” territory. Texas definitely could beat TCU but it feels silly to call that a W when this group has dropped a couple in a row to TCU teams that were likely worse than this one is going to be.

Piggy isn’t there yet. That program was a total rebuild starting last year. They’ll be amped but that is not a good team. If Texas loses that game it’s time to look for another coach because that’s a colossal failure.

Also, beyond Wulaw’s take, the general sentiment on this site that we should roll teams like TCU but Arkansas is this big early season challenge against a quality opponent really makes no sense. Arkansas sucks and would be lucky to be anything better than 7th in the Big 12.

They are terrible and we should beat them convincingly.  

15 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Plus when you start a fight at midfield pre-game as a favorite, you know good things are happening. 

That's probably why the pizza herman tried to order at halftime didn't arrive. We definetly could have stopped the jet sweep if our players could get a dang Papadia.

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Yeah, uh, when you consistently “play terrible” against a certain opponent, to the tune of 2-8 in a decade, it gets to “I’ll believe it when I see it” territory. Texas definitely could beat TCU but it feels silly to call that a W when this group has dropped a couple in a row to TCU teams that were likely worse than this one is going to be.

Piggy isn’t there yet. That program was a total rebuild starting last year. They’ll be amped but that is not a good team. If Texas loses that game it’s time to look for another coach because that’s a colossal failure.

Also, beyond Wulaw’s take, the general sentiment on this site that we should roll teams like TCU but Arkansas is this big early season challenge against a quality opponent really makes no sense. Arkansas sucks and would be lucky to be anything better than 7th in the Big 12.

Really wish the Texas Bowl last year wasn't canceled because TCU would have been a good barometer for Arkansas against the Big 12.

It's pretty clear we're improved from the Morris era and were a cunt hair away from beating both Auburn and LSU last year (bad officiating in both) but 3-7 is still 3-7 I guess. Even A&M we only lost by 11 on the road which isn't too terrible with a first-year coach since they were a top 5 team. But then Alabama it wasn't remotely close at any point in the game which is to be expected. Georgia also put it on us after we led at the half...we're obviously not up to competing at that level of talent yet.

If we improve in Pittman's 2nd year I could see us closing out some of those close games and the record looking a lot better but that's not a guarantee. If you look at the "talent" judging by preseason all-SEC selections we only have two fewer picks than LSU (one of theirs being a kicker) and one fewer than A&M. We're also tied with Ole Miss yet they're picked two spots higher than us in the division, but one of theirs being the QB goes a long way. So I don't think we're lagging behind in talent as much as we have been but still have quite a way to go.

• Hook 'Em 6

7 minutes ago, Gohogs14 said:

Really wish the Texas Bowl last year wasn't canceled because TCU would have been a good barometer for Arkansas against the Big 12.

It's pretty clear we're improved from the Morris era and were a cunt hair away from beating both Auburn and LSU last year (bad officiating in both) but 3-7 is still 3-7 I guess. Even A&M we only lost by 11 on the road which isn't too terrible with a first-year coach since they were a top 5 team. But then Alabama it wasn't remotely close at any point in the game which is to be expected. Georgia also put it on us after we led at the half...we're obviously not up to competing at that level of talent yet.

If we improve in Pittman's 2nd year I could see us closing out some of those close games and the record looking a lot better but that's not a guarantee. If you look at the "talent" judging by preseason all-SEC selections we only have two fewer picks than LSU (one of theirs being a kicker) and one fewer than A&M. We're also tied with Ole Miss yet they're picked two spots higher than us in the division, but one of theirs being the QB goes a long way. So I don't think we're lagging behind in talent as much as we have been but still have quite a way to go.

LSU and Auburn, who fired their coach because of bad results, were not good last year.

Also, why would you judge talent solely based on all-SEC selections?

35 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Any word on if we’re doing any “sell the PI” drills with our receivers? 90% of the time our WR’s were locked up for a ball they’d just jog back after like nothing happened, even when it was close to interference. No pleading their case at all. Maddening. 

Are you asking if we are doing “whine about a flag to the ref” drills?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Piggy isn’t there yet. That program was a total rebuild starting last year. They’ll be amped but that is not a good team. If Texas loses that game it’s time to look for another coach because that’s a colossal failure....   Arkansas sucks and would be lucky to be anything better than 7th in the Big 12.

Fyi -- Looks like 2021 Arky returns 19 or 20 starters 

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/arkansas-football-projecting-starting-lineups-2021/

https://texags.com/s/40180/with-19-starters-returning-arkansas-is-aiming-to-rebound-in-2021

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Awesome.  So a team that was sucky last year returns 20 of their sucky starters.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Their problem is the two lost starters (from a 3-7 team) were bad ones - their QB and their best defensive player. And the new QB doesn't seem to have been setting the world on fire in practice.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

They'll be amped up but they're also not very good at football. Even with Baby Briles.

The pigs are going to play their best game in a decade against us. Don't underestimate their hatred. That date has had a big circle on the calendar since the day it was scheduled. Our guys better be ready.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Are you asking if we are doing “whine about a flag to the ref” drills?

You can state your case to the ref without being disrespectful. You won’t get that call but it’ll be in the back of his mind throughout the game and could help with later calls. Complaining about ticky-tack stuff won’t help, but many times I didn’t really see our guys advocating for themselves when they should’ve been. 

36 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Awesome.  So a team that was sucky last year returns 20 of their sucky starters.

Like some on here have already stated, Arky on the road will not necessarily be a push over for this TEXAS team.  

Watched several of the Arky games last year -- their defense was really good early in 2020 at home.  They struggled late in most games due to depth issues, COVID-19 protocols, and had a few late season key injuries along with a terrible targeting suspension that hurt them at the end of the LSU game.    Catalon is a helluva safety for Arky.

Edited by LTtxfan

9 hours ago, Muy Frio said:

When I get too hopped on Kool-Aid it’s good for me to remember that Luke Brockermeyer and Brendan Schooler are running with the 1s on defense.

What’s better than one coach on the field? Two coaches on the field. 

Schooler is athletic and had 4 ints and 76 tackles as a freshman playing safety, I wouldn’t be too down on him starting.  They were talking about his coverage grade his freshman year on the radio yesterday and said it was better then Brandon Jones had in his best year.  

Just now, Hook1997 said:

They were talking about his coverage grade his freshman year on the radio yesterday and said it was better then Brandon Jones had in his best year.  

If that’s the case why move him to receiver? We needed another spare at that position? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

They were still decent. Matt Jones was their QB. But yes, they always get up to play us more than anyone else.

Matt jones was a MOTHERfucker. The 03&04 games were also some of the funnest i watched @ DKR and on TV

• Hook 'Em 1

Nahlin and Gerry

Real quickly with an assist from Gerry.

Defensive back Chris Adimora has made the switch from nickel to free safety behind BJ Foster. The move was made possible by Jerrin Thompson not only moving to nickel but looking comfortable at the position. Je. Thompsons is fluid in coverage, more so than Adimora, and while he might not be as physical, he’s no slouch when it comes to taking on bigger players.

Overall the secondary is looking good and deep. One source said there isn’t much drop off across the board from the first and second team. Second team consists of Kitan Crawford, Jahdae Barron or Darion Dunn, Adimora, Tyler Owens, and Anthony Cook.

The DB’s are benefiting from the DL and vice versa.

D-tackle is proving to be a real strength. Keondre Coburn in particular has been giving guys the business and it doesn’t matter if he’s going against Jake Majors, Junior Angilau, or a center/guard combo. Moro Ojomo was also mentioned, as was Alfred Collins (2nd team) and Byron Murphy. It’s good to hear Murphy’s name mentioned outside of player driven practices. So far so good whether playing the run or getting after the quarterback. 

The feeling is Bo Davis is making strides with this group.

The d-line is often in a traditional four-man front with both OLB’s having their hands in the ground. The XOLB, Ray Thornton, still drops some, but he also lines up as a 4-tech at times too.

Freshman wide receiver, Xavier Worthy, is repping with the ones. He’s playing inside and outside, and is often on the field with Jordan Whittington at the same time. 

Though the o-line has had its hands full with the d-line, the offensive tackles are showing some fight. When asked who the best o-lineman was in camp so far, IT heard either Derek Kerstetter or Christian Jones.

One point of concern so far in camp is blocking from the tight end position. IT has heard Jared Wiley isn’t 100% healthy. We’re not sure how much of a contributing factor that is, as he struggled blocking in the spring as well.

Today is an off day after a pretty fast paced four day stretch. Practice resumes tomorrow morning.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Helobious said:

You can state your case to the ref without being disrespectful. You won’t get that call but it’ll be in the back of his mind throughout the game and could help with later calls. Complaining about ticky-tack stuff won’t help, but many times I didn’t really see our guys advocating for themselves when they should’ve been. 

If that works then let's get our edge rushers to respectfully advocate strongly about OU holding.  Especially in those cases where the OU left tackle clotheslines the rusher, grabs his facemask and pulls him to the ground.  Usually when that happens on critical downs, Walt Anderson's boys call defensive holding, offsides and then they go intimidate the head coach for complaining.  This year will have some real special officiating.      

• Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, nycHorn said:

TFB

Hide contents

I have to say this surprised me a bit. And, I’m not saying I agree with this assessment.

But, I was told that the staff seems to not only like the team they’ve got but there are apparently some on the staff who believe they will go undefeated in Sark’s first season.

Coming from Alabama you have to think they have a pretty decent gauge on what talent looks like. So, either they really like the team or don’t think much of the schedule. Or, perhaps some combination of the two.

Excited Oh Yeah GIF

ron burgundy anchor man GIF

4 hours ago, Helobious said:

Any word on if we’re doing any “sell the PI” drills with our receivers? 90% of the time our WR’s were locked up for a ball they’d just jog back after like nothing happened, even when it was close to interference. No pleading their case at all. Maddening. 

Nothing to plead with BIG XII officials now that we are gone. It will be that way until we actually leave.

B12 officials were not going to give a fuck.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Theres a fine line to walk with that, do it too much and the zebras simply let the DB's get away with anything. I do agree if its clearly interference they should protest a bit..but not enough to draw a flag.

Idk but will the Arky players really care that much about Texas? The older fans definitely will but this rivalry has been silent for longer than most of these kids have been alive
They will get reminded of it by people around the program far more than our players will...and it will be evident in the stadium. No idea if that helps them at all, just sayin.

4 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Matt jones was a MOTHERfucker. The 03&04 games were also some of the funnest i watched @ DKR and on TV

I hated the game in DKR (because we lost and I had just flown in from Europe).

I enjoyed the game in Fayetteville because we won and we mocked some of their fans as they streamed out of the stadium with their heads hung. There was definitely an “us against the world” vibe that night. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Eggo said:

Last time we went into the Shootout undefeated was 2011 and they fucked us sideways that game. The past 3 times we've beaten them we've been 3-2, 1-4, and 4-1. So we need to drop at least 1 to beat the goons. Who's it gonna be?

your mom

• Hook 'Em 3