Fair Park- Parking / Transportation / Coupons / Other Shit

Wally Pryor

10 hours ago, markstanco said:

Where are you going to park? If you don’t get there at 6a you will not be parking in the fairgrounds. Take your chances in somebody’s yard is a choice.

10 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

6am is a bit much.

but getting there by 8/8:30 will be tricky finding parking on fair property 

You will DEFINTIELY WANT TO GET THERE AT 6AM. College gameday... lots of folks going to that who will not be going into the Cotton Bowl afterwards. 

10 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

6am is a bit much.

but getting there by 8/8:30 will be tricky finding parking on fair property 

I was thinking I needed to be at the Cotton Bowl gate at 8:00 am to navigate the clusterfuck that is going to ensue from the digital only tickets.  Obviously will have to get to the fairgrounds much earlier to park.  The last few times I did the valet parking which seemed to work well.

23 minutes ago, bluto said:

I think it was 19 that was the shit show, solid 30 minutes switchback line.

we got lucky in 2019, i found a guy whose company did acoustic setup for the fair and he sold me his parking pass for $20.  it was a General Contractor pass issued by the state fair allowing him to park in any parking lot, we parked right by the ampitheater.  

6 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I was thinking I needed to be at the Cotton Bowl gate at 8:00 am to navigate the clusterfuck that is going to ensue from the digital only tickets.  Obviously will have to get to the fairgrounds much earlier to park.  The last few times I did the valet parking which seemed to work well.

I don't think it'll be quite THAT bad but if you want to catch kickoff, I'd definitely try to get to your gate by 10:00.  Maybe even 9:45.  As noted several times above, you can now buy beer inside the Cotton Bowl gates, so no need to worry about slamming that last wax-cupper at Bailey's at 10:30 or something..

8 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

Are we going to do a Surly meet up?

Yes - northwest corner of the food court. We will be having a watch party somewhere. There is usually a Toyota stage where they show the game, but it looks like they may have changed the park around and that may not be there. I'll be sure to make an announcement and/or sticky a thread so people can find us if you don't have tickets to the game and are watching at the fair. 

• Hook 'Em 4

I don't think it'll be quite THAT bad but if you want to catch kickoff, I'd definitely try to get to your gate by 10:00.  Maybe even 9:45.  As noted several times above, you can now buy beer inside the Cotton Bowl gates, so no need to worry about slamming that last wax-cupper at Bailey's at 10:30 or something..

Agreed, it’ll be a bitch but geez that seems excessive.

Sorry, what’s the concern with the digital tickets at this game vs every other sporting event the past 5 years that has required something to be scanned?

There is no security to go through at the cotton bowl gates, plus this game has the added dynamic of a $5/$10/$20 handshake getting you in that won’t fly at any other stadium.

Edited by UTexasFight

1 minute ago, UTexasFight said:

Sorry, what’s the concern with the digital tickets at this game vs every other sporting event the past 5 years that has required something to be scanned?

There is no security to go through at the cotton bowl gates, plus this game has the added dynamic of a $5/$10/$20 handshake getting you in that won’t fly at any other stadium.

Has that worked for anyone in the past five years though? I feel like they've tightened down on that by hiring scared kids with pit bosses watching instead of indifferent neighborhood folks.

Haha it looks like the Starlight Lounge no longer opens at 6am.  I was going to say go park there and walk to the Fair as it's about a mile walk.  The other good option is to pay to park in one of the hood front yards off Haskell Ave since you're helping support the local economy.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, immamac said:

Yes - northwest corner of the food court. We will be having a watch party somewhere. There is usually a Toyota stage where they show the game, but it looks like they may have changed the park around and that may not be there. I'll be sure to make an announcement and/or sticky a thread so people can find us if you don't have tickets to the game and are watching at the fair. 

Would love to meet up with y’all before I go into the game.

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

Be careful with that. We’ve been arresting fans/ticket takers for that the past few years. 

1 hour ago, Saint Austin said:

Has that worked for anyone in the past five years though? I feel like they've tightened down on that by hiring scared kids with pit bosses watching instead of indifferent neighborhood folks.

I had a friend a few years ago give some sob story about how she and her boyfriend, who had her ticket, got separated and they just let her in for free. 2015-16 I want to say. I was simultaneously impressed and irritated that I paid.

Edited by gmr548

Also lack of cell service. People who aren’t smart enough to have their tickets pulled up when it’s time to scan are on the same level as check writers at the grocery store.

Old coupons from previous years are still accepted too.

We sure that they are honored at the vendor level this year? After the Iron Mountain "shredding" fiasco they initially required old tickets to be exchanged at the business office from 9-5 M-F. I wouldn't count on using old coupons Saturday.

6 minutes ago, woohorn said:

We sure that they are honored at the vendor level this year? After the Iron Mountain "shredding" fiasco they initially required old tickets to be exchanged at the business office from 9-5 M-F. I wouldn't count on using old coupons Saturday.

They took them last year (Covid year)...

5 minutes ago, woohorn said:

Interesting. Didn't know that. I've never tried to use old coupons in previous years, just read this article a while back: https://www.dallasobserver.com/restaurants/state-fair-of-texas-coupons-jump-from-50-cents-to-one-dollar-12464951

17 minutes ago, woohorn said:

Never heard of this.  I've used extra tix from year before for the past decade with no issue (other than last year for obvious reasons).

15 minutes ago, Lidig8r said:

This year will be my 39th Texas - ou game. But, first since 2016. That year, I got to sit next to one of the Big Bosses on here. That game was on October 8. 22 days later, my daughter died.

This year, it is time to go back to a game she and I shared a number of times. With hope, strength, love and inspiration.

Oh... and if anyone has any ideas how I can get down on the field and spread just a few of her ashes ... let me know.

https://adadsjourneywitheatingdisorders.home.blog/2021/10/06/ashes-texas-football-memories/

Shoot me a pm and I will see what I can do for you. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

if youre not there at 6am to park in the fairgrounds parking you better park at one of the dart trains and take the train in. you start parking in someone's driveway and they will have a new car. 

The twisted panties on this thread about some shit is hilarious. Literally done this every year I’ve gone and never once an issue from anybody ever.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, immamac said:

awesome.  i'm afraid if i go to lee harvey's on friday i'll drink too much and feel like shit on saturday, but will definitely come by and see everyone on saturday.

9 hours ago, Lidig8r said:

This year will be my 39th Texas - ou game. But, first since 2016. That year, I got to sit next to one of the Big Bosses on here. That game was on October 8. 22 days later, my daughter died.

This year, it is time to go back to a game she and I shared a number of times. With hope, strength, love and inspiration.

Oh... and if anyone has any ideas how I can get down on the field and spread just a few of her ashes ... let me know.

https://adadsjourneywitheatingdisorders.home.blog/2021/10/06/ashes-texas-football-memories/

I've got a 13 year old that would be willing to do it for you.

Cotton Bowl.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

Some of you worry warts are making the trek thru Fair Park and into the Cotton Bowl sound more daunting and challenging than the storming of Omaha Beach. 

If you've been going to this thing for years and you still can't figure out how to do it right without arriving at 6am you need to take some lessons from others. 

It's been the same for us for years. Hotel bar bloody mary(s) at 7. DART around 730 from downtown and wax cups & Fletchers in hand and meeting up in the Food Court by 830am. That gives a good solid two hours of bullshitting and beer pounding before walking out of the Food Court, into the stadium, and in seats as the Longhorn band takes the field. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Lidig8r said:

I was at the game in 2019.  I showed up right when the gates opened because my friend's gf wanted to get there early enough to ensure we actually got to sit in our row 3 student seats.  I want to say they opened them at either 8 or 830.  I had no trouble walking on the field with my buddies and taking it all in.  The security to stop people from getting on the field doesn't show up that early.  You can walk right onto the field.  I think teams don't take the field to start practicing until 9.  PM me if you want more information. 

Edit: Also I am more than happy to help.  I am going to the game this Saturday and can show up early.

Edited by Tex48
  • Hook 'Em 3

The official schedule from the fair:

7 AM - parking gates, fair gates, coupon booths (including online purchase pickup) all open

8 AM - outdoor concessions and Tower Building Food Court open

845 AM - buses arrive

9 AM - Cotton Bowl gates, exhibits, other indoor concessions open

My official schedule:

7 AM - park in fair parking lot, begin drinking bourbon and one special candy

8 AM - go into fair, purchase Fletcher's and fried butter with cinnamon sugar

830 AM - food court, assorted foods and beverages

1015 AM - go into Cotton Bowl 

3 PM - get choco milk and sweet tea from Oak Farms booth in food court, shotgun both, helps so much with the shredded vocal cords 

330 PM - grab a seat in Embarcardero, watch football, maybe doze, eat more

7 PM - wander fair, more food

Edited by TXSooner518
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 10/6/2021 at 2:13 PM, Hookem2147 said:

Interesting. Didn't know that. I've never tried to use old coupons in previous years, just read this article a while back: https://www.dallasobserver.com/restaurants/state-fair-of-texas-coupons-jump-from-50-cents-to-one-dollar-12464951

Fuck yea, ive got about 30 in my console that haven’t moved since I left in 19’. 

On 10/6/2021 at 12:32 PM, PantsTent said:

I’ve been supporting the fine folks at James Madison High School for years even though I can get closer at the time we arrive. It just works and never had an issue.

That doesn’t sound too bad. What are they charging over there. I’m interested. 

No enforcement of masks today. 2/3rds no mask.

ESPN Game Day is setting up in the West side Cotton Bowl Plaza. This area was already a logistical nightmare any year. Be prepared for that side of the stadium to be a complete cluster fuck.

I believe Immamac is pregaming at the Magnolia Beer Garden.

But for some of you guys that are early enough but not going to the game, The Embacadero building just outside of the eastern side of the stadium had two interesting indoor choices with TV’s - a small margarita Tex-Mex cantina, and a larger fried fish place called ‘The Dock’.

There were also two of the larger usual choices heading towards the main concert stage.

And then there was something super interesting being setup just north of the stadium connecting to the back of the hall of state. But this looked like you might needed to have friends in higher places.

photos:

560C5EEE-4A97-492D-BA08-9EA1BEB6AF3B.jpeg

B6AAABB0-5EBD-4352-B735-1EFDB3EABF2A.jpeg

36F3EF0B-E0F0-441D-8965-2489373BC0C0.jpeg

759303AE-90EA-4F06-9E61-5FE4FD848158.jpeg

40055E43-ABD9-4A6B-8980-97185AE7FFE1.jpeg

Edited by JohnnyRage