French Catholic Church has abused 330K minors since 1950

Buzzrock

Catholic Church will slowly die in large part due to this scandal, albeit with a handful of child molesting priests holding a giant bag of cash.  The Baptist Church, particularly in Texas, has the same problem with molesting kids and shuffling the offenders around to other churches.  They somehow manage to avoid getting lumped in with the Catholics, though.  I don't understand why.  Baylor admin probably knows.

• Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

Catholic Church will slowly die in large part due to this scandal, albeit with a handful of child molesting priests holding a giant bag of cash.  The Baptist Church, particularly in Texas, has the same problem with molesting kids and shuffling the offenders around to other churches.  They somehow manage to avoid getting lumped in with the Catholics, though.  I don't understand why.  Baylor admin probably knows.

Just to be clear, while the pedo-priest are a huge problem, it is the cover-up, shuffling pedo's to other locations, and the denials that show the whole organization is a crime family.
I say let Italy have Vatican City and make it a museum, sell off all the property (make some of the nicer churches in museums if you like) and let folks find another cult to join.

Full disclosure: I am a cradle Catholic raised in the cult (currently non-practicing) no problem using the church as a way to teach good morals; had an Uncle who was a priest (RIP), close family friends in the clergy, and I went to Catholic school 1-7 grades. But the things that have come to light in the past decade or more show that these people cannot be trusted; and that they hide under their "calling", and use their position of power to control people to think it is just a few problems here and there.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Just to be clear, while the pedo-priest are a huge problem, it is the cover-up, shuffling pedo's to other locations, and the denials that show the whole organization is a crime family.
I say let Italy have Vatican City and make it a museum, sell off all the property (make some of the nicer churches in museums if you like) and let folks find another cult to join.

Full disclosure: I am a cradle Catholic raised in the cult (currently non-practicing) no problem using the church as a way to teach good morals; had an Uncle who was a priest (RIP), close family friends in the clergy, and I went to Catholic school 1-7 grades. But the things that have come to light in the past decade or more show that these people cannot be trusted; and that they hide under their "calling", and use their position of power to control people to think it is just a few problems here and there.

It sounds like you'd probably fit in well with the typical French person with your relationship to the Church. There was a recent poll that came out showing as of now 51% of the French (traditionally overwhelmingly Catholic) no longer believe in God, but 68% still believe that religion can “contribute to teaching young people positive values: respecting others, tolerance, generosity, and responsibility”.

1 hour ago, Samson's Wig said:

The Baptist Church is not top down like the Catholics.  Each church is independent and not controlled by a higher organization.

19 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

The Baptist Church is not top down like the Catholics.  Each church is independent and not controlled by a higher organization.

While this is true, the SBC has enough "control" and knowledge of the problem to largely alleviate it.

• Hook 'Em 5

4 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

What is it going to take to abolish the Catholic Church? What if this was a secular organization?

Same thing that happened to USA Gymnastics, Penn State, Ohio State, and BSA*. Law suits and settlements.

BSA is non-secular in the sense that AA is non-secular.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

While this is true, the SBC has enough "control" and knowledge of the problem to largely alleviate it.

I can just speak for my church -- with the caveat that we are moderate for a Baptist church in that we have women deacons -- but the SBC has no control over us.  We pay a small amount for the affiliation.  But that's it.  I only have experience with my church as I grew up Church of Christ and this is the first Baptist church I have been involved in.  We have total autonomy.  Other churches may be different.

I can just speak for my church -- with the caveat that we are moderate for a Baptist church in that we have women deacons -- but the SBC has no control over us.  We pay a small amount for the affiliation.  But that's it.  I only have experience with my church as I grew up Church of Christ and this is the first Baptist church I have been involved in.  We have total autonomy.  Other churches may be different.

Somewhat similarly, the Pope and the Roman bureaucracy do not control the operations of the various diocese throughout the world. They dictate canon law and matters of religious doctrine, but the operations of each diocese is governed by the bishop of that diocese.

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Seems low.

Yeah, why cut it off at 1950.  How many millions of kids have been abused by the "Catholic Church" over the last 2000 years.  And like has been mentioned, it isn't just the Catholics.  It's something that I will never understand.  How can there be that many people in the world with this particular incurable "disease"? 

• Rage+1 2

The feds need to step up to the plate and put the religious tax exemptions on the line. 

I'd prefer they be abolished all together but no politician will ever vote for that so it is essentially off the table.

But there needs to be some fine print that says if you, or a member of your clergy, or administration get caught diddling kids or breaking laws, your tax exempt status is revoked permanently. 

Edited by Orange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lobo said:

She tore up a photo.  Ten thousands priests tore up boys assholes and throats.  But remember, she’s the bad person. 

Not to mention the horrible abuses at Irish orphanages and homes for unwed mothers that have since been thoroughly investigated and well documented.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/12/ireland-report-appalling-abuse-mother-baby-homes

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

Catholic Church will slowly die in large part due to this scandal, albeit with a handful of child molesting priests holding a giant bag of cash. 

1.3 billion people and the longest continuously operating institution in the world.  I'll take the over on the dying thing.

14 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Not really. They have influence, but not control. Southern Baptist churches are autonomous. If they fire someone because of shenanigans, there is no higher authority to report said shenanigans to. So if the said sacked person moves along to another church they are caught up between a rock and a hard place where they can't exactly accuse them of being a pedophile if there wasn't a conviction without opening themselves up to liability in a libel lawsuit. Like most corporations today, all they can do without exposing themselves to potential ruin is verify employment. 

This is a structural problem with how the church is organized. While there is likely an element that wishes to cover things up in many of the churches, most of them have their hands tied because they can't afford the risk of a lawsuit.

1.3 billion people and the longest continuously operating institution in the world.  I'll take the over on the dying thing.

Was about to post this. And, according to the most recent stats, percentage wise, the church is growing faster than the world population.

14 hours ago, WBT said:

You are of course correct.  I was thinking about within North America, not globally.  And they'll still hang on here as well, in a limited capacity.

The French investigators called on church authorities to implement reforms, including better internal safeguards, supervision and training for priests. The report also calls for rethinking the theology of the clergy, suggesting that an exaggerated deference to priests made it easier for them to abuse minors.

how about naming all the molesters and every person involved that helped cover things up. then you start a victims fund, and start selling off pieces of the french catholic church for the funding. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Same thing that happened to USA Gymnastics, Penn State, Ohio State, and BSA*. Law suits and settlements.

BSA is non-secular in the sense that AA is non-secular.

Nassar and Sandusky are in prison and Catholic priests don’t go to jail. I think something like 7,000 priests have been accused and I’m only aware of one that has gone to prison because he plead guilty.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, I'm afraid to google the statistics...but I'm guessing there's a large percentage of Catholics that have repressed those memories that have no conscious idea that it ever happened at all.  And then on top of that, the almighty Catholic guilt has also probably persuaded another chunk of the population to not even bring it up to an anonymous survey...even with all assurances your information will never be shared.  I'm guessing you could comfortably place that total number not at 330k, but an even half million.  A million in Italy. A few million in the rest of Europe.  A couple million in the U.S.  A few million in Latin America.  A few million in Asia and Africa.  Just since WWII. 

Since the inception of the Catholic Church, worldwide, just extrapolating their own admitted maths...conservatively speaking, perhaps 100 million victims.  Or more.

But they do missionary work so it's a wash.

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

Nassar and Sandusky are in prison and Catholic priests don’t go to jail. I think something like 7,000 priests have been accused and I’m only aware of one that has gone to prison because he plead guilty.

Yes but your post was about organizations and as we have seen most organizations are not abolished after these scandals are revealed.

How the fuck does Baylor still have a football program?

Baylor shouldn't have a university after what they did/didn't do.  

Americans have a singular gift for being able to idolize institutions that are rotten to their cores.  I guess having so many gorgeous national parks was the tradeoff.

But there needs to be some fine print that says if you, or a member of your clergy, or administration get caught diddling kids or breaking laws, your tax exempt status is revoked permanently. 

That wouldn’t really work though. They could just get a new bishop, all new clergy, and reorganize as a new entity (or whatever the correct term is). You couldn’t just say “this building can never have a tax exempt religious organization in it again.”

7 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

That wouldn’t really work though. They could just get a new bishop, all new clergy, and reorganize as a new entity (or whatever the correct term is). You couldn’t just say “this building can never have a tax exempt religious organization in it again.”

Why not? Make it a covenant or deed restriction on the property.

Sorry your wife had to go through all that, Hullabalew

I have to give them credit, they are savvy businessmen.  My wife wanted to be married within her Catholic Church but put her own "stamp" on it, because you know...she was a bride and that's what brides want.  Not a real shocker.  

She wanted it here in Austin, not at her hometown/family parish back in Kansas.  She wanted her cousin to officiate.  He's a Catholic Priest from University of Kansas (awesome guy, very progressive, love him).  She wanted to get married on a Sunday because she wanted her extended family to come and enjoy Austin (most of them had never been on an airplane before).  She wanted to be married outside in April with wildflowers instead of lingering snow.  I had preferred not to convert to Catholicism but would agree to raise our children in the Church since that's all my wife asked of me during our engagement.  We did not want a full mass/communion at our ceremony since well over half the folks in attendance weren't Catholic and our ceremony should promote unity, not ostracize folks.  We did not want the typical Catholic wedding script either, I wanted to write the entire thing with her Priest cousin from start to finish (ever notice how a Catholic wedding always says "the couple has chosen to write their own vows" and then they proceed to say the exact same thing as every other Catholic couple in history?).  My final touches were my Lutheran minister grand-aunt would give the opening and closing prayers at the reception and it wouldn't just be wine with dinner, but full hosted bar for hours and hours.  

Her Kansas church dragged their feet and I just encouraged her to forget about them.  Eventually they quit calling.  Her diocese in Austin said no Sunday wedding, no outside-the-parish Priest (even if he is family), married inside the physical church for "reasons", they conveniently had no April availability for the church wedding setup, we'd need full mass with communion, we'd have to follow typical Liturgy scripts, and no outside-the-faith personnel should speak except as "familial toasts and the like" and I'd need to convert to Catholicism.  

After a few pleasant meetings with the diocese personnel, I slid a check across the desk and a few months later we were married on a Sunday at the Wildflower Center by her cousin and got every other thing we asked for and then some.  They drove a hard bargain though without ever bringing up the subject of money.  It was an artful dodge if ever there was one.  It was only in that moment across the desk I realized how this institution has endured so much for so long...If you hold little high ground but wait for your opponent to finally cave...you will almost always win  /csb

Edited by Lobo

5 hours ago, hullabelew said:

Now this was a married priest who the Catholic Church hired away from some other religion at some point when they were running low on priests.  I think he was Episcopalian.    I told him, "So, when your church needs something, it is OK to break the rules, but when it comes to showing simply human kindness, you stand your ground."   No thanks.

Was this one of the 2 twin brother priest who converted?