House of the Dragon

crash_davis

Two episodes in and Viserys makes an awful decision that weakens his throne and his bloodline. 

Alt Shift X nailed it. Viserys is a good man, but a bad king. 

If Daemon is smart he'll ask the Sea Snake to marry his daughter. 

Is Lady Alicent banging the king, and they just never showed it, or is she just comforting him with their talks? That's quite the 180to pick her if they've never slept together. Congrats to Otto. Dude definitey knows how to play the Game of Thrones. 

The Crab Feeder looks scary as shit. Dude will be trouble. 

• Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, slorch said:

The Princess has more balls than the rest of the council combined.

I feel like that’s part of the point. I’m enjoying her character. The look on her face when her dad was starting his engagement announcement was awesome. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I like the show so far. It has the early GOT formula: the palace intrigue, the scheming, the boogeymen in a far off place. 

The pacing is a little slow, but I’m ok with it. 

My only complaint from ep 2 is they never rationalized why the king chose to wed the BFF. Why give into the political pressure to remarry, only to chose the option that makes little political sense and will devastate your daughter and heir? Why not just stay unmarried?  

• Hook 'Em 4

34 minutes ago, kingkoopa6 said:

^ I think he just didn’t wanna court a kid. So he chose a women.  I have no idea how old she is. But it’s older then the kid he was suppose to marry. 

Maybe he also feels some connection between her losing her mom and him losing his wife? Just throwing that out there idk

She's apparently about the same age as our main gal, so fifteen or so. He told his daughter he had no intention of replacing her as heir, iirc, so I think he is just wanting someone who he enjoys spending time with and wants to remove himself from all the plottings that go along with things. He's a dude, so I assume he will bed her, but I think he is counting on there not being a male heir. That, or he plans to marry his daughter off soon enough to produce a grandchild male heir that he can claim has a more legitimate claim than any offspring of his new wife, her being officially named as the heir and all.

I guess we're not watching the same series. This is a snoozefest.

Good scene where the princess goes to Dragon Stone. Otherwise, slow scenes with slow dialogue about things we already know about. 

I'll keep watching in hopes it changes, but story-wise this is really bad IMHO.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't know, I find the politics this early on entertaining because you KNOW some serious shit is about to go down. The crab feeder looks like an interesting foe and the scenes from the beach were fucking gnarly. I get there hasn't been any all out battles unless you count the royal court's competition from the first episode but the mere presence of the dragons squaring up in this episode will do for now. My guess is this shit turns up to 11 sooner rather than later.

• Hook 'Em 1

So, this is 170 years before GOT and there has not been one single scientific or technological advancement? 170 years ago, an airship set a record by going 16 miles outside of Paris and those box bee hives were patented. If we lived in the GOT universe, bee hive technology would be the apex of human achievement.

34 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

So, this is 170 years before GOT and there has not been one single scientific or technological advancement? 170 years ago, an airship set a record by going 16 miles outside of Paris and those box bee hives were patented. If we lived in the GOT universe, bee hive technology would be the apex of human achievement.

more like, GOT was 1400 and HOT D was around 1200.   

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

This sounds suspiciously booky...

All of that has been illustrated so far.  The pinky cut and then maggots are significant.

My deal is that there is exactly one fucking person that would bug me if if they killed them off, the young princess, and that ain't gonna happen.  Nobody else is remotely endearing or interesting that way, in fact, I find myself wishing most of them would find their demise rather quickly.

Edited by slorch

9 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

After having 40 episodes mashed into 13 in GOT 7/8, I can see the pace felling slow. 

So far it’s better than sitting through all the extra waif and reek bullshit dragged out. 

6 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

Welcome to the thread. Now go back and read it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The King signed his death warrant wanting to marry the Hand’s daughter. A real king would marry the child and bone the mistress.  Between that and failing to squash rebels fucking the shipping lanes, just weakness all around.  Sending dragon riders would be a dramatic show of force- good instincts from the princess 

Weird they keep showing wounds that won’t heal with the king. That’s not a naturally occurring phenomenon. My money is on Otto behind that shit. His plan will be for the Hand to rule until the King’s future heir with his daughter comes of age. 

• Hook 'Em 3

10 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Is Lady Alicent banging the king, and they just never showed it, or is she just comforting him with their talks? That's quite the 180to pick her if they've never slept together. Congrats to Otto. Dude definitey knows how to play the Game of Thrones. 

Keep in mind 6 months has passed between the two episodes.  Twice they mention that Daemon has been at Dragonstone for 6 months. Alicent has been the King's confidante, probably daily, for that time.   I don't think he has tapped it to date.  When she gave him the gift, that was probably the first time someone has ever given him something that wasn't a gift to a king with strings attached.  I think that act made the lightbulb go off in his head.  Unfortunately, while that was the right decision for him personally, it's the worst decision for his crown. 

But he could plow green dress on the side and stay unmarried - he gets companionship and poontang.  

The only reason to remarry is for political reasons, and he chooses to do so in a way that makes no political sense. I understand he is weak and indecisive; but this decision makes absolutely no sense.  It at least warranted a scene, even ex-post, briefly explaining his reasons.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

But he could plow green dress on the side and stay unmarried - he gets companionship and poontang.  

The only reason to remarry is for political reasons, and he chooses to do so in a way that makes no political sense. I understand he is weak and indecisive; but this decision makes absolutely no sense.  It at least warranted a scene, even ex-post, briefly explaining his reasons.  

He believes it shows him to be strong.  He's been advised by everyone to marry the tween.  He's blinded by his affection for Alicent and he thinks it shows strength to the Small Council by going against their advice.

Edited by CooterBrown

My best guess, if I had to justify it, goes back to the scene with his daughter and the queen that never was (men would rather put the realm to the torch than see a woman on the throne). I think all the scheming and pressure from the lords causes him to (correctly) infer that most will not really accept his daughter as the true heir, despite their loyalty oaths.  So he realizes he probably has to marry.  He just makes an incredibly poor choice, which is on brand for him, and it's one that's so bad, he should have just stayed unmarried.   

Still a scene or some dialogue to explicate this a bit more would have made the episode better IMO.  There was a lot of filler and not much on the one decision that looks like it's going to really fuck things up down the line.  

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

His reasoning is known. It was known from the time the hand reminded him he also lost his wife, and couldn’t imagine being forced into a match just for politics or whatever he said exactly. 

Watch V at that moment. Like a light coming on, realizing he’s the fucking King and can marry whomever he fucking wants.

Of course the hand has been pushing buttons through Ali, and having her subtly push her way in over 6 months.

Push comes to shove, a ~15yo whom you’ve grown a bit fond of (watch how he looks at her) trumps your 9yo 2nd cousin. 

10 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

Bruh. I was eating at the beginning. Hahaha fuck me 

🦀🧟‍♂️ 

LOL same. we just sat down with our chinese food....quick recap last episode, ok.....cool intro with music, sweet.....and flesh eating crabs. All Stop on eating noodles.

1 hour ago, Post Oak said:

Bridge scene was awesome.  

Yup, it was pretty bad ass.  Otto talks a lot of shit, and his crew doesn't really seem to back him.  Of course they HAVE to do what he says, but the looks on their faces was like meh. Wish there would have been a little bit of fighting on that bridge.  (Also fuck that long ass walk to get to the Castle. 

Dragons flexing was great.  

8 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

unimpressed michael keaton GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

I like the show so far. It has the early GOT formula: the palace intrigue, the scheming, the boogeymen in a far off place. 

My only complaint from ep 2 is they never rationalized why the king chose to wed the BFF. Why give into the political pressure to remarry, only to chose the option that makes little political sense and will devastate your daughter and heir? Why not just stay unmarried?  

Edward IV did the same thing, and it led to renewed battle/bloodshed during the Wars of the Roses and he was temporarily overthrown.  Kings make stupid, selfish decisions.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I doubt it’s greyscale since it produces open sores. Greyscale turned flesh to stone.

There's no indication it's greyscale.  They'd have called it that--it wasn't an unknown disease.  And the wound they were treating with the maggots was the cut he got on his finger from the iron throne.  And I think he referred to the wound on his back as being from the throne, as well.

He has some kind of immune deficiency that keeps cuts/wounds from healing.  Symbolically, the throne is destroying him.

checks notes...

emily carey born april 2003 so 19 years old.....

lady alicent is fucking hot and i would have done the same thing as king but probably would have tried to get one over on daemon and gotten his lady of the night to go menage with her.

oh shit, i just put it together that the actress that plays daemon's chick is sonoya mizuno...who was the other android besides alicia vikander in ex machina.  hmm.

Edited by sidis

Hope we get a good villain out of the crab feeder and a nice little war.

These are good characters, no question.  They lack something that the characters had in the first few episodes of GoT.  Can't put my finger on what that is.  They're not as compelling/interesting?  Not sure.

But I don't think it's fair to compare them, really.  This is an entirely different story in a very different time.

Edited by Augustus
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Augustus said:

There's no indication it's greyscale.  They'd have called it that--it wasn't an unknown disease.  And the wound they were treating with the maggots was the cut he got on his finger from the iron throne.  And I think he referred to the wound on his back as being from the throne, as well.

He has some kind of immune deficiency that keeps cuts/wounds from healing.  Symbolically, the throne is destroying him.

Sounds a bit bookfaggy. There has yet to be an indication in the 2 episodes thus far that grayscale exists. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Hope we get a good villain out of the crab feeder and a nice little war.

These are good characters, no question.  They lack something that the characters had in the first few episodes of GoT.  Can't put my finger on what that is.  They're not as compelling/interesting?  Not sure.

But I don't think it's fair to compare them, really.  This is an entirely different story in a very different time.

Charisma? GOT started out by fleshing out characters and making you like or dislike them just as much it did political discourse. We haven't gotten as much of that here.

• Hook 'Em 1

Otto tells the king in the council meeting "perhaps there are some betters uses of the princess's talents".

I wish Rhaenyra would've said on the bridge to Otto in front of his men after she got the egg, " perhaps there are some better uses for the Hand of the King's talents"

• Hook 'Em 3

Definitely did not think the episode was bad, but it was a bit of a cooler after that pretty hot start.

There is a lot of small council and small council adjacent type stuff. Lots of meetings in rooms or out on the castle grounds. Scope-wise, we're cooped up in the castle a lot and not seeing other places/stories. Maybe that will change.

Speaking of other stories, one thing that is sorely missing is humor. This series could really use a Tyrion, Bronn, or Jamie. Right now there's like none of these guys. Even just the way some of the characters addressed each other jumped out at me as feeling kind of off. Like are we in Middle Earth or Westeros right now?

• Hook 'Em 7

On 8/25/2022 at 9:09 AM, Go Pokes said:

I think you'd have to go to Essos to get that done.  No smith's in Westeros know how to rework Valyrian steel.  

On 8/25/2022 at 10:07 AM, Augustus said:

In Game of Thrones, Tywin had Ned Stark's Valyrian steel sword melted down and re-forged into two swords for Jaime and Joffrey.  I can't recall for sure, but it seems like he mentioned a smith who had the competence for that, but that might be my mind creating something, not sure.

On 8/25/2022 at 10:13 AM, Augustus said:

You were right!  I just watched the YouTube clip.  Tywin said there were 3 smiths who knew how to re-work Valyrian steel.  The finest of them was in Volantis, so Tywin brought him to Westeros.

On 8/25/2022 at 1:56 PM, Go Pokes said:

I'm gonna guess they have a pretty sweet blacksmith shop at the Red Keep.   Making a dude that sailed across the ocean to do you a solid go down to the Street of Steel seems like a dick move.   

image.gif.4913da2f2f7c257a05b8bf1555c31b2d.gif

On 8/26/2022 at 5:17 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Typical Surly, Milly Alcock has weird eyebrows, would not bang. 

If Ms. Alcock hit on any of us at a bar, we’d immediately go home with her. 

Negative. Not attractive.