Let’s talk about how fucked up Tennessee is

Pancho

16 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

That's not what I had in mind.

Biden ought to make him his running mate in 2024.  It gets rid of the dead weight that is Kamala Harris, but nobody could be too pissed about losing a Black woman from the ticket if you're replacing her with this guy.

And putting him on the ticket draws attention to two big issues that are key to the Democrats' chances in 2024: 1) the GQP efforts to erode our democracy, and 2) gun violence that is made possible by the GQP's refusal to do anything other than make more guns available to more people.

Jesus Christ 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I’m all in for Justin Jones.  Anybody know anybody in Tennessee politics?   I don’t know shit about fuck over there, but let’s help bundle for him for Congress.  He’s already gotten the off-white business shit stigma thing over with.  Let’s do this!

• Hook 'Em 1

Thing is, I feel like this is an unforced error by TN Republicans. They already have the super majority. They can do whatever they want. 

Targeting these three achieves what? I suppose it serves to "chill" anyone's idea of doing something similar. But it paints Republicans in a really, really bad light. It brings national attention to their activity. It stirs up voters (not sure if that matters or not). And a week following the murder of six people in a school, they act quickly not to improve school safety but to expel these three. 

What exactly is the win except for feeling like you put someone in "their place."

37 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

That's not what I had in mind.

Biden ought to make him his running mate in 2024.  It gets rid of the dead weight that is Kamala Harris, but nobody could be too pissed about losing a Black woman from the ticket if you're replacing her with this guy.

And putting him on the ticket draws attention to two big issues that are key to the Democrats' chances in 2024: 1) the GQP efforts to erode our democracy, and 2) gun violence that is made possible by the GQP's refusal to do anything other than make more guns available to more people.

Dragons Den Television GIF by CBC

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

His constituents should be rioting. Apparently that districts votes don’t matter.

They should be rioting. Not just for themselves but also because I’m sure Republican legislators in Georgia are watching and gauging what possible response they might see if they fire Fani Willis. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Thing is, I feel like this is an unforced error by TN Republicans. They already have the super majority. They can do whatever they want. 

Targeting these three achieves what? I suppose it serves to "chill" anyone's idea of doing something similar. But it paints Republicans in a really, really bad light. It brings national attention to their activity. It stirs up voters (not sure if that matters or not). And a week following the murder of six people in a school, they act quickly not to improve school safety but to expel these three. 

What exactly is the win except for feeling like you put someone in "their place."

Your last sentence is all their voters care about.

16 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Targeting these three achieves what?

It was pretty fucking stupid because it draws national attention to the three of them, which means a lot more money to support them in the reelection, and it comes across as incredibly petty and incompetent, especially when Jones got up there and destroyed them. 

A whole lot of people didn't know the Republicans were just fine with an admitted child molester hanging out in their midst, and now they do.

16 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

He was a Black man who quoted scripture at them.  No way in hell they'd allow that to stand.

• Hook 'Em 4

11 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Well, they don’t fear her voice, plus….she’s white.  They are only afraid expelling the two black men.   Now what does that tell you?

I thought for sure she’d be expelled too just so it wouldn’t look so obvious. But nope. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Nashville home prices are approaching Austin levels and the entire state is much higher than neighboring states. 

For politics, I can't support the 3 yahoos that are fixin to be voted out.  Stop shouting, do something substantive.  Neither will work of course but being a street hoodlum is bad optics. 

Your mother just called me and told me to tell you to go fuck yourself in your racist MAGA goat ass.

She also said to remind you to bring her the Honeybaked ham for Sunday - but don’t forget to defrost it first this time.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

6 peop!e dead, 3 were 9yos and 3 Dems were brave enough to stand with pissed off students and those 3 Dems(1 already) are likely to be expelled from State House.  Good.  Fucking.  Job.  Tennessee.  As if the optics of that State isn't bad enough and following the bullshit spewed from Rep Burchett recently. GFL , we have lost our ever loving fucking mind. 

SEC!

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

The whole democratic caucus of both houses should walk out 

That's what I was thinking.  But there's probably a law against it. 

https://doggett.house.gov/media/in-the-news/dallas-morning-news-killer-bees-offer-strategic-roadmap-texas-democrats-latest#:~:text=In 1979%2C a dozen state,John Connally's chances.

• Rage+1 1

Holy shit.

Ok what's worse optics:

1) Doubling down on lax laws after the death of multiple children and then expelling the black members that raised a stink about those lax laws (while keeping the white woman who joined them)

2) joining a chant with protesters about those lax laws while being black.

Taco Bell guy, want to give us an update on your view of optics now that this has played out?

Also, what's your stance on 1) Pissing in the seat of a fellow member, 2) child molesters?  According to information learned today, it sounds like neither of those are as big a deal as chanting with protesters while being black.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 4/5/2023 at 9:15 AM, Neonmoon said:

The GOP is the Confederacy. We are in a Cold War. 

When politics become religion where truth and reason are non-existent, agreements will not be honored, and the opposition is deemed the enemy the only path to making one's presence felt is through violence. It's breaking down. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

When politics become religion where truth and reason are non-existent, agreements will not be honored, and the opposition is deemed the enemy the only path to making one's presence felt is through violence. It's breaking down. 

The right has been asking for it for a long time now with their rhetoric. Maybe it's time to start the FO phase. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mchookem said:

i know nothing of their districts but hopefully all three can go back and be re-elected in massive landslides in their districts. 

i have always felt that's what Franken should have done... just run again and win. 

The two that were expelled should be reappointed. The one that didn’t get expelled would not have been reappointed as Knox Co is controlled by R’s at this point.

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

So the woman doesn’t get expelled 

Maybe because she wasn't a *checks Taco Bell's notes* a "street hoodlum"?

I think they're still grandstanding before making the vote on the other guy.

https://www.npr.org/2023/04/06/1168363992/tennessee-expel-3-democrats-house-vote

In a 65-30 vote, lawmakers failed to pass a motion that would have removed Rep. Gloria Johnson, who represents about 70,000 Tennesseans in Knoxville.

Cheers erupted in the gallery of the House when the final vote was read aloud.

The vote on Johnson followed an earlier, extraordinary move by the body, which voted to remove Rep. Justin Jones of Nashville.

The House has yet to decide the fate of Rep. Justin Pearson.

The three lawmakers acknowledge that they didn't follow the rules of order and decorum by speaking without being formally recognized. But they're facing a disciplinary measure that's only been used twice since the 1800s. Republicans have said the trio's actions amount to an insurrection.

Video of the Tennessee House session is being live-streamed on YouTube and social media. Member station WPLN is closely watching the vote and reporting from the scene.

Livestream: https://tnga.granicus.com/player/event/7223?&redirect=true

• Hook 'Em 1

Welp, it's official that two of the three are out.

Gallery seems to be going wild. Chants of "Shame on you"

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

13 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Giving these three a national platform when they'll likely just be reappointed before the end of the month is an all-time unforced error.

Maybe we ought to take inspiration from him and not quit on our own state we often claim to love so much. 

• Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Giving these three a national platform when they'll likely just be reappointed before the end of the month is an all-time unforced error.

Watched his speech live. It emotionally overwhelmed me. One of the finest I've ever heard, read, or experienced. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1