This is who Steve Sarkisian is.

lilMAC25

8 minutes ago, Redneck Mutha said:

Yep, the dysfunction of us allowing BMDs/regents/presidents to make the hiring choices of our football coaches is mind bottling.  Let the AD handle it 100% and if he fucks it up, fire his ass.  It's not brain surgery.

Only hire that worked out in 6 decades is Mack, and DKR had to veto the BMD "brain trust" that was about to Gary fucking Barnett for that to happen.  

Akers wasn’t a bad hire. A muffed punt from being a national champion winning coach. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, lilMAC25 said:

TCU was utter dogshit last year with the same players. What change made the difference?

I didn’t say Dykes was a bad head coach but that team has upper class men playing and Patterson apparently had worn out his welcome.  Let’s see if Dykes turns them into a power house year after year or if they become the typical 8-9 win team with an occasional great year and some pretty poor years also.  The guy ain’t the second coming is all I am saying.  Our OL is terrible (but will be good in a year or so when our guys get older) and that is really hurting the offense right now.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

Since the replay is up I thought I would show you what QE was looking at on the very first play the offense stepped on the field. Count the box-9

Screenshot (311).png

When the linebackers are that far off the line, is that really still considered the box? We have two tight ends including an extra offensive tackle and they have three down line linemen, one standing edge rusher and everyone back off the line. Yet somehow they crash down and stop the run? 

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

When the linebackers are that far off the line, is that really still considered the box? We have two tight ends including an extra offensive tackle and they have three down line linemen, one standing edge rusher and everyone back off the line. Yet somehow they crash down and stop the run? 

Nice to know it's that easy to completely take our running game out of the equation for four quarters. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

It's not one game dude.  Look at the entirety of Sark's tenure as a HC.  He's a career .500 guy for a reason.  Last night was just one more data point consistent with that average.  

But it's futile arguing with a Strong apologist. 

I guess you can yell at clouds and sob into your "All Gas No Brakes" sweatshirt in a year or two when he's shitcanned.  

Every situation is not the same my guy. You are literally making the point for me. Strong was a good coach everywhere he went until here and then he went downhill. So we can look at his tenure and say "Strong is a good coach", but the circumstances he was in had a lot to do with that, right? Worked with Urban, then went to a team that had recruiting ties to Florida and lucked into a great college QB. Then he gets here and literally can't get a decent QB and can't recruit, the two things he was said to be good at coming in. So you can't pay attention to previous situations. 

Just now, troph said:

QE’s decisions have been a problem and one that is actually forgivable he’s a freshman. But a designed screen is a one read (?) play design I don’t think it was called once. JW had two great WR plays why not Bijan?

I just think that is a minor aspect compared to the whole of what is wrong.  More than why we didn’t throw a screen, I want to know why half the team failed to show up to play for the biggest game of the year?  Why is our QB regressing as the season progresses?  Why is our QB immune from accountability for poor play?  Those are the things that have caused me to lose faith in coach.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Thats what 9 in the box looks like my friend, and why we couldn't run on them. 

23 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

My expectation going into the season was for 8-9 wins.

Still attainable

Granted, the way we're losing games wasn't expected.

Ewers turning shitty wasn't expected.  Makes me think he's injured in some way?

Worthy not giving a shit wasn't expected.

The defense being as bad as they have been, but seemingly having the ability to be good (Bama/last night)?  Patterson call those games?

Biggest surprise is the lack of offensive production in the 2nd halves.  I mean what the fuck are they doing at halftime?  

Beat Kansas, Beat Baylor, win bowl game...finish in the top 20

Build on the young talent and come back next year and do it all over..

My expectations really were not about a W/L total. It was about seeing progress- especially on offense where we have so many young players. We can still go 7-5/8-4 but doing that while watching young, talented players regress and seeing our coaching staff make criminally bad in game decisions is disheartening. 

We likely go 7-5. So a two game improvement when one of those wins is Oklahoma and we played the worst version of them in 40 years. We infused the roster will all of that talent for not enough return. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Thatguy said:

Every situation is not the same my guy. You are literally making the point for me. Strong was a good coach everywhere he went until here and then he went downhill. So we can look at his tenure and say "Strong is a good coach", but the circumstances he was in had a lot to do with that, right? Worked with Urban, then went to a team that had recruiting ties to Florida and lucked into a great college QB. Then he gets here and literally can't get a decent QB and can't recruit, the two things he was said to be good at coming in. So you can't pay attention to previous situations. 

Strong was passed over for HC so many times because it was apparent to almost everyone that he's not HC material.  It was obvious to almost anyone he was going to be a disaster here.  That you were blindsided by this is not surprising.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Goredho said:

I just think that is a minor aspect compared to the whole of what is wrong.  More than why we didn’t throw a screen, I want to know why half the team failed to show up to play for the biggest game of the year?  Why is our QB regressing as the season progresses?  Why is our QB immune from accountability for poor play?  Those are the things that have caused me to lose faith in coach.

As more film is on us and QE teams have taken away what we like to do and we struggle doing something about it. Simple as that. 

Just now, bschoolprof said:

Strong was passed over for HC so many times because it was apparent to almost everyone that he's not HC material.  It was obvious to almost anyone he was going to be a disaster here.  That you were blindsided by this is not surprising.  

Lol. Blindsided? Hopeful he guy would figure it out is not blindsided. He built that Louisville team as a HC. Nothing wrong with hoping he could do that here. 

1 minute ago, bschoolprof said:

Do you remember his introductory PC?

lulz

2 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Thats what 9 in the box looks like my friend, and why we couldn't run on them. 

I count 8, but whatever.  

Selling out to stop the run with extra box defenders is middle school football.  The fact Sark can't anticipate this will happen and have a plan for it, with both personnel, play design, and play calls to punish it are exactly why he is a .500 coach.  Winners win. They have a plan.  Losers piss their leg and bury their head in the play sheet.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

As more film is on us and QE teams have taken away what we like to do and we struggle doing something about it. Simple as that. 

They've taken away the run and we've responded by throwing incompletions on 1st down and seemingly never checking down to easy passes in the flat they give us. Card is all about those check downs, perhaps to a fault, but it would've been an upgrade tonight. When we finally took the decision put of QE's hands and called a bubble screen, JWhitt broke it for one of our best offensive plays of the game.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Gerry even knows i feel like. @DefinitelyNotHollywoodColtwill like this

453677A6-1B70-4189-B0FB-D138F9FF276E.jpeg

The most charitable thing I can say here is that Charlie Strong made a habit of getting blown out by even semi-competent opponents, which we haven’t seen out of Sark so far. But we have seen a propensity to lose large leads and play totally incompetent football in the second half. In some ways, this is worse…

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

It seems like a good coach would either sit someone playing this poorly or at a minimum not dial up play after worthless play to him.

Yes, that is what a good coach would do. So when a coach refuses to correct the behavior or hold a player accountable that is a coaching issue. Every time a poster tries to use a players consistently poor performance as an excuse for Sark, they are actually highlighting how inept he is. It's become a joke.

And this ridiculous notion that once he gets better players everything will be better is sad. Exactly who is going to teach the young guys how to do it the right way? The coaching staff who can't correct the mistakes now? Or the players who aren't doing their jobs to begin with but still play? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, mdmost said:

I'm amazed that we keep hiring offensive coaches and yet we still seem to suck on offense when it matters the most. Maybe we should stop falling for gimmicks and hire the best overall coach available. 

the hard drugs are for the bartenders and the kitchen workers and the bartenders friends

13 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Lol. Blindsided? Hopeful he guy would figure it out is not blindsided. He built that Louisville team as a HC. Nothing wrong with hoping he could do that here. 

Sark never built shit as a head coach. He sucked before and still does. Not sure why you’re hell bent on being “that guy” and defend him after 6 straight qtrs with no offensive tds. He blows. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I count 8, but whatever.  

Selling out to stop the run with extra box defenders is middle school football.  The fact Sark can't anticipate this will happen and have a plan for it, with both personnel, play design, and play calls to punish it are exactly why he is a .500 coach.  Winners win. They have a plan.  Losers piss their leg and bury their head in the play sheet.  

8 or 9 its more than we can block, which constitutes a loaded box. Yes it is middle school football as well as NFL football. That's what you do when you think the opponent can only hurt you in the running game. We threw it and we didn't get the job done. Simple as that. You can say it's on Sark to have his players ready or whatever you want. We didn't get it done. However, this whole winners win shit is a laugher. Saban was this exact kind of coach until he wasn't. Go look at the coach we just played against. One winning season(8 wins) at Cal and here he is looking at a playoff berth. I am just watching the games and waiting to see if we turn the corner. We've shown flashes. Just choosing not to be a pessimist. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

15 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

don’t worry guys Nahlin said this is the year before the year. 

Heh. I used to buy into that, or at least see the potential. Now I feel like an idiot.

People don't seem to appreciate how much of this team's rushing production has been Bijan and RoJo making chicken salad out of chicken shit. The best run blocking OL on the team is gone next year. Yes, there's room for the OL to improve given the relative youth - though Majors is pretty much who he is at this point - but the run game is going to be a net neutral at absolute best without its three best pieces. So, DC's are going to be able to continue to employ the OSU/TCU strategy we have seen absolutely flabbergast the offense, both players and coaching staff. The passing game, both Ewers and the guys he's throwing to, are going to have to make a very big leap in order for the offense to not be the same inconsistent product we've seen this year. While I think it's certainly fair to expect Ewers to be better, that sort of across the board improvement with potentially a worse rushing attack is probably too much to ask.

Defense loses a lot of key guys - a trio of solid interior DL, Overshown, and Cook off the top of my head. That's a lot to replace. Probably going to see them take a step back - not necessarily 2021 bad, but also not as good against the run and perimeter screens as they have been this year. Best path to flipping the script is Sorrell continuing his upward trajectory and either Collins having a gaskamp season or one or two of the 2022 DL being an absolute revelation.

I think the most likely outcome for next season is a team that is about even or slightly worse than what's out there now.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, gmr548 said:

Heh. I used to buy into that, or at least see the potential. Now I feel like an idiot.

People don't seem to appreciate how much of this team's rushing production has been Bijan and RoJo making chicken salad out of chicken shit. The best run blocking OL on the team is gone next year. Yes, there's room for the OL to improve given the relative youth - though Majors is pretty much who he is at this point - but the run game is going to be a net neutral at absolute best without its three best pieces. So, DC's are going to be able to continue to employ the OSU/TCU strategy we have seen absolutely flabbergast the offense, both players and coaching staff. The passing game, both Ewers and the guys he's throwing to, are going to have to make a very big leap in order for the offense to not be the same inconsistent product we've seen this year. While I think it's certainly fair to expect Ewers to be better, that sort of across the board improvement with potentially a worse rushing attack is probably too much to ask.

Defense loses a lot of key guys - a trio of solid interior DL, Overshown, and Cook off the top of my head. That's a lot to replace. Probably going to see them take a step back - not necessarily 2021 bad, but also not as good against the run and perimeter screens as they have been this year. Best path to flipping the script is Sorrell continuing his upward trajectory and either Collins having a gaskamp season or one or two of the 2022 DL being an absolute revelation.

I think the most likely outcome for next season is a team that is about even or slightly worse than what's out there now.

Great post.  I don't see us improving a ton next year because we lose a lot of key pieces.  Next year is set up to be another 7-5 type affair.  Thanks Steve.  

8 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

The only improvement over the Charlie years is we don’t have half the fan base screaming “you gotta tear it down before you can build it back up!”

The other thing I've noticed is people bitching about/jerking off to the strength coach has disappeared.  I always found that silly.  At least that has gone away, apparently because folks finally realize how little difference it makes.  

55 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

If this happens I think everyone will end up being happy with the season despite the massive frustration in all of the losses. Side note - Bijan will opt out of the bowl game for sure.

Bijan opting out of bowl game would be fair after Sark opted out on him last night.

4 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Dead Fucking on

Sarkisian said in the presser he didn’t put in Card because it wouldn’t be fair to put him in and make him try to save the day. 
You could try and excuse the same rationale, maybe once, when Ewers was unbridled dogshit in Stillwater. But you have your head coach with (again) that sort of mentality tonight? 
Sarkisian shouldn't be the head coach here. Pretty simple. I like the guy. But he's not fit to be leading a team.

Has nothing to do with being fair to Card. He doesn’t care about that. He doesn’t want to look like an ass for keeping Ewers in ever since OKstate.

2 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Bijan opting out of bowl game would be fair after Sark opted out on him last night.

I would be extremely concerned about Bijan having sustained a head injury if he did not opt out of whatever also ran bowl game Texas ends up in. And frankly, it would be better for the program to let Brooks and Blue get some run in that one.

I hadn’t heard it until last night but apparently we script our first 20 offensive plays? This might explain why we constantly find ourselves in 3rd and long. It seems like Sark is terrified of making decisions in the moment and wants to treat play calling like it’s planning your route on Google Maps.

I know quite a few coaches script the first 10 or so, but damn, I’m not a fan of that at all.

13 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

8 or 9 its more than we can block, which constitutes a loaded box. Yes it is middle school football as well as NFL football. That's what you do when you think the opponent can only hurt you in the running game. We threw it and we didn't get the job done. Simple as that. You can say it's on Sark to have his players ready or whatever you want. We didn't get it done. However, this whole winners win shit is a laugher. Saban was this exact kind of coach until he wasn't. Go look at the coach we just played against. One winning season(8 wins) at Cal and here he is looking at a playoff berth. I am just watching the games and waiting to see if we turn the corner. We've shown flashes. Just choosing not to be a pessimist. 

Ehh..He had a decent run at La Tech before Cal. And did a damn good job at SMU. Career record of 81-63

• Hook 'Em 1

The inability for Ewers and Worthy to play pitch and catch downfield is astounding. Seriously, do they have some kind of amazing chemistry in practice or something? During games they look like a couple of guys who have never practiced together. And just found out what a football is. 

Just now, Brothahorn said:

Ehh..He had a decent run at La Tech before Cal. And did a damn good job at SMU. Career record of 81-63

You are missing the point my guy. He left Cal after having a Sarkisian type tenure there for another HC job. What if the people that hired him at SMU never even gave him a shot because he sucked at Cal? At some point a coach struggles until they don't is all I am trying to say. No one here wanted Dykes until now because he is 9-0. Cal is Cal. A lot of coaches would struggle at Cal. That needs to be taken into account.