This is who Steve Sarkisian is.

lilMAC25

2 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

You are missing the point my guy. He left Cal after having a Sarkisian type tenure there for another HC job. What if the people that hired him at SMU never even gave him a shot because he sucked at Cal? At some point a coach struggles until they don't is all I am trying to say. No one here wanted Dykes until now because he is 9-0. Cal is Cal. A lot of coaches would struggle at Cal. That needs to be taken into account. 

And what of Washington, USC, and Texas?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

The inability for Ewers and Worthy to play pitch and catch downfield is astounding. Seriously, do they have some kind of amazing chemistry in practice or something? During games they look like a couple of guys who have never practiced together. And just found out what a football is. 

All I know is worthy didn’t just slide, he went head first down my list of players on the team, I know he couldn’t have got to all of those last night but he could have for sure got fingers on 2 of them and didn’t even jump. 

21 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

The other thing I've noticed is people bitching about/jerking off to the strength coach has disappeared.  I always found that silly.  At least that has gone away, apparently because folks finally realize how little difference it makes.  

Good point. I don’t even know who our S&C coach is.

16 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Ehh..He had a decent run at La Tech before Cal. And did a damn good job at SMU. Career record of 81-63

Sonny Dykes is a decent enough coach, but his results at Cal were only really so-so - not unlike Sark's at Washington.  1 win, 5 wins, 8 wins, 5 wins.  He did lead the Cal team to a win over Texas 45-44 in 2015 and 50-34 in 2016.  He was 1-11 against the other California PAC12 teams.  While at Cal he had Tony Franklin as OC and (after Franklin quit to spend more time with his family) he brought on Jake Spavital.  He was fired.

Texas fans would have gone ballistic if Dykes was brought on.  Moreover, he'd have brought along his merry group of G5 assistants - resulting in further vitriol.

Dykes is a fine enough coach, but TCU is winning in a mediocre Big12.  TCU will get steamrolled if they go to the playoffs.  Texas just wrote the defensive script on how to stop them.  Texas was 1 defensive mistake and refs ignoring Jared Wiley's holding from keeping them to 3 points.

Edited by boilerhorn
additional details.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but Dykes was fired from Cal.

read

7 minutes ago, boilerhorn said:

Sonny Dykes is a decent enough coach, but his results at Cal were only really so-so - not unlike Sark's at Washington.  1 win, 5 wins, 8 wins, 5 wins.  He did lead the Cal team to a win over Texas 45-44 in 2015 and 50-34 in 2016.  He was 1-11 against the other California PAC12 teams.  While at Cal he had Tony Franklin as OC and (after Franklin quit to spend more time with his family) he brought on Jake Spavital.  

Texas fans would have gone ballistic if Dykes was brought on.  Moreover, he'd have brought along his merry group of G5 assistants - resulting in further vitriol.

Dykes is a fine enough coach, but TCU is winning in a mediocre Big12.  TCU will get steamrolled if they go to the playoffs.  Texas just wrote the defensive script on how to stop them.

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Jesus fucking Christ.

You are cdt23. Welcome back, man. It’s, uh, great to have you.

Me and you have different expectations. You think we should win because We Are Texas, and we have been close in all these games. We haven't so you are angry. I get it. I see an "its all about me wideout" not trying. He gets benched for a play and then two receivers end up 5 feet from each other. He gets pulled again and a receiver runs himself backwards out of bounds. Line gets beat a few times. Freshman QB is pressing and errant. However, I see a lot of growth sprinkled in and promise waiting in the wings. I see games where our offense is good and defense is not. Then we couldn't move the ball on TCU or Bama but the D was tough, something you couldn't tell any of us last year. We are getting better players and though we aren't consistent all phases at one point or another have shown promise. I will reserve my anger for further down the road. 

And you know I go way back before that dude so quit it. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Red Five said:

The inability for Ewers and Worthy to play pitch and catch downfield is astounding. Seriously, do they have some kind of amazing chemistry in practice or something? During games they look like a couple of guys who have never practiced together. And just found out what a football is. 

This. 

Sark having the deep ball thrown between these two repeatedly throughout not only last night, but also the last few weeks is truly the definition of insanity.

7-4 Sark is not the answer here.

Dude needs to be gone after this season. So frustrating the way the D played last night ,and the offensive guru and the O laying a big goose egg again.

26 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Maybe it's because Quinn just got here in January, so he still has time to write his story, but he looks so out of synch with his players it seems like a far cry from the days where VY called for late night practices so we could be ready to beat Ohio State. From the days where you knew Colt and Shipley had thrown thousands of passes to each other because they seemed to have a mental connection on the field. There's no way these guys have met up for some out-of-practice route running sessions. 

2 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

They’ve already learned #8 doesn’t require a double team.  A DB just running shoulder to shoulder takes him out of the play.

Correct. Worthy refuses to dominate a 1v1 situation and so it leaves the opposition to be able to dedicate more resources to the run game. Teams will continue that trend until we force them to do something else. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

44 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I would be extremely concerned about Bijan having sustained a head injury if he did not opt out of whatever also ran bowl game Texas ends up in. And frankly, it would be better for the program to let Brooks and Blue get some run in that one.

Good point

15 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Me and you have different expectations. You think we should win because We Are Texas, and we have been close in all these games. We haven't so you are angry. I get it.

You got the wrong guy. We’re doing exactly what I expected. 

Don’t worry, as you mentioned later in your post, you’ll come around eventually. Hopefully once you do, you’ll be able to look back and realize all the signs were there if you wanted to see them.

1 hour ago, lilMAC25 said:

TCU was utter dogshit last year with the same players. What change made the difference?

I don't know, Maybe the broken bone in Duggan's foot had something to do with it. Remember your ringing endorsement will be here with Sonny Dukes from here on. 

4 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Can we please money whip a big time coach from a big time program for once like USC did with Riley? I mean let's offer big time money to Dabo or Ryan Day. Make them say no. I don't want washed up Urban or another up and comer.

Why would they say yes?

Edited by David Dennison

Prior to this year, I would say that Dykes has been "OK" after Cal. 

He continued Chad Morris's upward trend at SMU, so he deserves some credit.  But there are very few signature wins.  2018: vs. Major Applewhite's #17 Houston; 2019 at #25 TCU; 2021 at unranked TCU.

This is his first year as a coach to ever win more than 1 game against a ranked opponent.  This year it is 5: OU, Kansas, OSU, KSU, Texas.  And it is entirely possible only 1 is ranked at the end of the year.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

You got the wrong guy. We’re doing exactly what I expected. 

Don’t worry, as you mentioned later in your post, you’ll come around eventually. Hopefully once you do, you’ll be able to look back and realize all the signs were there if you wanted to see them.

All the signs are always there until they are not. Something I fully understand. Every blue blood that's ever sucked had these same signs whether they turned it around or not. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Meyer or stay the course.  SEC is just over the horizon.  It’s been a schizophrenic season for The Longhorns with inexplicably high and inexplicably low moments on both sides of the football.  Consistency is not what has been going on here.  One game defense is a sieve, the next it is absolutely dominant with no in between. Sometimes the running game is a force, and in other games it is non-existent.  Ewers has had games where he looked like he was on his way to big things, and other games (namely Ok State and TCU) where he looked inaccurate, unconfident, and lost (yes, I understand he’s a freshman)

1 minute ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

Meyer or stay the course.  SEC is just over the horizon.  It’s been a schizophrenic season for The Longhorns with inexplicably high and inexplicably low moments on both sides of the football.  Consistency is not what has been going on here.  One game defense is a sieve, the next it is absolutely dominant with no in between. Sometimes the running game is a force, and in other games it is non-existent.  Ewers has had games where he looked like he was on his way to big things, and other games (namely Ok State and TCU) where he looked inaccurate, unconfident, and lost (yes, I understand he’s a freshman)

Aside from a shitty OU team this team’s identity is no different from last year. Ultimate chokers. Don’t see that changing under Sark

Just now, Steelers Roll Left said:

That that is a fair question shows just how continuingly far down the spiral The Longhorn football program has fallen.  Even the 00’s Seminole football program figured it out in less time

With regard to coaches like Day and Swinney, when would it not have been a fair question?

8 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Why would they say yes?

Money, fertile recruiting ground, location ... i don't know. It's unlikely they will say yes, but we have more money than those other programs, especially after the year oil just had. Time to shoot for the stars.

24 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Can we please money whip a big time coach from a big time program for once like USC did with Riley? I mean let's offer big time money to Dabo or Ryan Day. Make them say no. I don't want washed up Urban or another up and comer.

I’ll fucking say it.  Why not Riley?   Or maybe he wouldn’t come idk

• Hook 'Em 2

Not trying to play Card for even one series is criminal and Sark needs to be asked about it repeatedly on Monday. Don't let him get away with a BS "wouldn't be fair to Hudson" answer.  It's not fair to Quinn to keep throwing him into the fire when it looks like he decided ballet was his real passion over football a few weeks ago and he's playing at gunpoint right now.  He's missing most of his throws, he's throwing into triple coverage instead of finding a wide-open Worthy in the end zone, he's throwing short when Bijan is all alone behind his target.  Hudson has improved in taking care of the ball this season...6 TDs, 1 INT, he's looked more comfortable in the pocket, and his drives have been leading to scores.  We scored 34 against Tech in probably his worst game, where he was hobbling around and didn't have Worthy in the second half, so Tech was able to play shallow because they weren't worried about getting burned deep.  34 points would have been plenty if our D played like they did against TCU.  It's not fair to Hudson, who worked all off-season to get better, who is completing 14% more passes and taking less sacks, to not see if he can jump-start an absolutely lifeless offense where no one trusts Quinn anymore.  Lincoln [I eat dicks for breakfast] Riley would have benched Quinn long ago, and that's why he wins games.  For whatever reason, Sark refuses to change up his QB or gameplan, just like he refuses to acknowledge the deep pass to Worthy isn't working, yet he keeps going back to it like it will.  18 straight fucking drives resulting in 6 points.

Edited by OU Sucks
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

As more film is on us and QE teams have taken away what we like to do and we struggle doing something about it. Simple as that. 

Nice pro Sark argument you’re making.

”other teams adjust and we don’t.”

Just stahp man, you’re such a fucking beating with this stupid shit

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, UTEE97 said:

Austin vs. Columbus - need I say more? Could OU keep Riley if they matched USC's offer? Would Riley still stay in Norman?

Sure, if he’d rather live in Austin than Columbus, then they could probably make it happen. I thought by “money whip” we meant make him an unmatchable offer. 

4 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Austin vs. Columbus - need I say more? Could OU keep Riley if they matched USC's offer? Would Riley still stay in Norman?

Lol. tOSU is a machine that he's sustained. He's not leaving there. He's the king of the conference. Columbus has no issues with bringing in high profile recruits. Shit, Austin might be added to the list of reasons why our recruits constantly underperform when they step on campus. I believe a player was reprimanded for expressing that exact belief. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

I don’t understand how it’s even possible for our offense to be this inept. We should get a TD or two just by simply out athleting teams. No offensive TDs in 6 quarters???

We have players either regressing or dogging it.

But somehow that is a crutch for Sark instead of a damning indictment to some…well, one.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Lol. tOSU is a machine that he's sustained. He's not leaving there. He's the king of the conference. Columbus has no issues with bringing in high profile recruits. Shit, Austin might be added to the list of reasons why our recruits constantly underperform when they step on campus. I believe a player was reprimanded for expressing that exact belief. 

Nobody thought it was possible to snatch Riley away from OU to a dumpster fire USC program. He was on top of the conference and making the playoffs with ease every year. My point being, you never score on shots you don't take.

Maybe it's Day, Harbaugh or Swinney, or someone else like them we should go after, but it seems like UT is content spending $5-6M a year on up and coming coaches instead of opening up our massive oil rich wallets.