This is who Steve Sarkisian is.

lilMAC25

5 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

At least it’s an improvement right?  

Listen, Sark probably isnt the guy and will get fired after 2 more years if the W-L record still sucks but I don’t see another coach really doing much with this team as it is currently constructed either.  Sonny Dykes wouldn’t have this team playing any better.  That guy ain’t the next Nick Saban and based on what I have seen from TCU this year they barely won a bunch of games against a mediocre Big 12. I may be wrong but is TCU starting a freshmen QB, freshmen OL, Freshmen CB etc… TCU will get destroyed in the playoffs against OSU or UGA once the Big 12 refs aren’t calling their games.  Duggan was not that impressive last night but their WR is a total stud.  Better than anyone we had on the field last night. 

But Dykes's team won the game, no? And he has his team in position for the postseason? Looks to me like he's done more with less than Sark. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, immamac said:

Sark is too stupid to use Roschon and Bijan for 45 combined touches.

Harbaugh was a chronic underachiever at Michigan until he finally realized running the ball until you break your opponent’s will is a pretty great strategy for winning football games. Wish Sark would’ve done that this year considering our RB stable. I know our oline isn’t the best at it but I think they would’ve adjusted as the season went on.

1 hour ago, royiv said:

But Dykes's team won the game, no? And he has his team in position for the postseason? Looks to me like he's done more with less than Sark. 

Are you sure about the more with less?  Is their O line better than our O Line?  Is their QB better than ours?  How bout the defensive players compared to ours?  Do they have more depth and experience?  Below is their starting offense.  Looks to me like a very experienced unit loaded with upper classmen.  Their O line is 4 RS seniors and 1 RS junior.  The Defense of theirs is similar but they do have one freshman starting at NT I believe.  Let’s see how great Dykes does with a less experienced roster.  Maybe he is the next great coach and they will go undefeated or lose a game here or there for the next decade.  I am guessing this is their “year that everything fell in place” and he goes back to being the 3-5 loss a year coach he was at Cal and SMU.  

Once again, I am not saying Sark is the answer and will be great here.  He probably flames out in another 2 years based on what we have seen, but we are starting and playing way too many true freshman or RS freshman which shows how shitty the roster was that was left to him.  In 2 years our OL will be mostly juniors with tons of experience and they will be dominant so whomever is coaching the team then will have the advantage of being able to pound the football with the run and get good pass protection which will lead to a really good offense.  It all starts in the trenches.

WR-X 1 Johnston, Quentin JR 00 Conwright, Blair RS JR 6 Jackson, Chase RS FR        
WR-Z 18 Williams, Savion JR 87 Nowell, Blake RS SO 7 Hudson, Jordan FR        
WR-Y 12 Spivey, Geor'Quarius RS SR/TR 80 Rogers, D'Andre RS FR 81 Curtis, Chase SR/TR        
WR-H 4 Barber, Taye SR 11 Davis, Derius SR 27 Henderson, Gunnar SR/TR        
LT 77 Coleman, Brandon RS JR/TR 71 Williams, Marcus RS JR 55 Rochester, Robby SO/TR        
LG 79 Avila, Steve RS SR 76 Hayes, Garrett RS SO 58 Barlow, Altrique RS SO 75 Brown, Brannon RS JR    
OC 56 Ali, Alan RS SR/TR 52 Dotson-Oyetade, Ezra RS FR/TR            
RG 53 Lanz, John RS SR 78 Harris, Wes RS SR 66 Bolticoff, Noah RS FR        
RT 74 Coker, Andrew RS JR 68 Nichols, Michael RS SO 72 Lott, Jasper RS FR        
TE 19 Wiley, Jared SR/TR 84 DiNunzio, Dominic RS JR 47 Ware, Carter RS SR        
QB 15 Duggan, Max SR 2 Morris, Chandler RS SO/TR 16 Jackson, Sam RS FR        
RB 33 Miller, Kendre JR 3 Demercado, Emari RS SR/TR 17 Battle, Trent RS FR 9 Bailey, Emani JR/TR 21

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

35 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:
53 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:
Why?
I've often wondered how people can make these comments unless you know him personally.

He likes his sense of fashion.

I'd rather Sark be a raging asshole like Saban, Urban, and Kelly as long as he wins.

Who wouldn't trade Sark for any other Big 12 coach right now, except Venables?

4 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

I'd rather Sark be a raging asshole like Saban, Urban, and Kelly as long as he wins.

Who wouldn't trade Sark for any other Big 12 coach right now, except Venables?

If it means the clock starts all over with the new guy in this scenario then not many. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Are you sure about the more with less?  Is their O line better than our O Line?  Is their QB better than ours?  How bout the defensive players compared to ours?  Do they have more depth and experience?  Below is their starting offense.  Looks to me like a very experienced unit loaded with upper classmen.  Their O line is 4 RS seniors and 1 RS junior.  The Defense of theirs is similar but they do have one freshman starting at NT I believe.  Let’s see how great Dykes does with a less experienced roster.  Maybe he is the next great coach and they will go undefeated or lose a game here or there for the next decade.  I am guessing this is their “year that everything fell in place” and he goes back to being the 3-5 loss a year coach he was at Cal and SMU.  

Once again, I am not saying Sark is the answer and will be great here.  He probably flames out in another 2 years based on what we have seen, but we are starting and playing way too many true freshman or RS freshman which shows how shitty the roster was that was left to him.  In 2 years our OL will be mostly juniors with tons of experience and they will be dominant so whomever is coaching the team then will have the advantage of being able to pound the football with the run and get good pass protection which will lead to a really good offense.  It all starts in the trenches.

WR-X 1 Johnston, Quentin JR 00 Conwright, Blair RS JR 6 Jackson, Chase RS FR        
WR-Z 18 Williams, Savion JR 87 Nowell, Blake RS SO 7 Hudson, Jordan FR        
WR-Y 12 Spivey, Geor'Quarius RS SR/TR 80 Rogers, D'Andre RS FR 81 Curtis, Chase SR/TR        
WR-H 4 Barber, Taye SR 11 Davis, Derius SR 27 Henderson, Gunnar SR/TR        
LT 77 Coleman, Brandon RS JR/TR 71 Williams, Marcus RS JR 55 Rochester, Robby SO/TR        
LG 79 Avila, Steve RS SR 76 Hayes, Garrett RS SO 58 Barlow, Altrique RS SO 75 Brown, Brannon RS JR    
OC 56 Ali, Alan RS SR/TR 52 Dotson-Oyetade, Ezra RS FR/TR            
RG 53 Lanz, John RS SR 78 Harris, Wes RS SR 66 Bolticoff, Noah RS FR        
RT 74 Coker, Andrew RS JR 68 Nichols, Michael RS SO 72 Lott, Jasper RS FR        
TE 19 Wiley, Jared SR/TR 84 DiNunzio, Dominic RS JR 47 Ware, Carter RS SR        
QB 15 Duggan, Max SR 2 Morris, Chandler RS SO/TR 16 Jackson, Sam RS FR        
RB 33 Miller, Kendre JR 3 Demercado, Emari RS SR/TR 17 Battle, Trent RS FR 9 Bailey, Emani JR/TR 21

That's a whole lot of words for a Sark stan.

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Oh it could have been worse... you have forgotten pick 6's thrown by Card in the past when under pressure...  😬😬😬😬😬

I tend to agree with you that Card likely would have been a disaster with more negative plays and actual turnovers.

Still, though, it seems to me we maybe ought to have tried him in the "piss on a spark plug" kind of thinking.

2 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Yes I am a big sark Stan whatever that is.  Nothing I wrote was incorrect.  

"Stan" = psychotic fanboi, from an eminem joint.

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

I tend to agree with you that Card likely would have been a disaster with more negative plays and actual turnovers.

Still, though, it seems to me we maybe ought to have tried him in the "piss on a spark plug" kind of thinking.

"Stan" = psychotic fanboi, from an eminem joint.

In that case, no I am not a sark fanboi.  I hope it works out and our team wins but I could give two shits who our coach is and if Sark loses enough games he will be shown the door and hopefully the next guy is better.  I still think the talent is too young on this team and that leads to mistakes which leads to close losses.

• Hook 'Em 1

Why?
I've often wondered how people can make these comments unless you know him personally.

He just seems like a good guy to me.

I didn’t know Herman personally either but he seemed like a dick.

I didn’t know Strong either. He just seemed clueless.

I did meet Mack personally a few times. Can confirm very thin skin.

50 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Why not?

Who's done less with more than Sark?

I don’t want more meadiokor. 

50 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

You know Mike Gundy, Matt Campbell, Sonny Dykes, Lincoln Riley, Dave Aranda, Lance Leipold, Neal Brown, and Joey McGuire?

Gundy is consistent but shits the bed himself, don’t want. Campbell will break through once every 5-6 years for a NY6 bowl and will win 8-9 games a year with the occasional losing season. Dykes, yeah no. Riley isn’t a B12 coach. Aranda is 6-4, not our standard? Okay I’m done. Like I said, we are almost half way through this nightmare no do overs now with also rans giving them 5 year contracts.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, DFW Horn said:

Why?

I mean, with Sark, a big part of it is that he’s an addict and has owned that and made changes in his life. That is admirable and isn’t easy, and many people can relate to what he’s gone through. He comes across as a humble, accountable, positive guy. That makes him likable (from afar).

None of that makes him a good coach or means he should be evaluated differently than his predecessors, of course.

• Hook 'Em 2

This time around, when Pete Kwiatkowski’s defense gave Texas every bit of a chance to take complete control of it’s destiny in the conference by overwhelming the No. 4 team throughout the better part of three quarters, Sark’s offense pissed the opportunity away, putting together one of the hardest-to-watch performances I can recall.

Burnt Orange Nation: Initial thoughts from No. 18 Texas’ 17-10 loss to No. 4 TCU.
https://www.burntorangenation.com/football/2022/11/12/23455483/initial-thoughts-from-no-18-texas-17-10-loss-to-no-4-tcu

• Rage+1 3

2 hours ago, DFW Horn said:

Why?

I didn't need to know Herman personally to hate him. His presented himself as-a-holier-than-thou asshole coupled with candy ass, sophomoric garbage both on and off the field.

Sarkisian conquered some serious personal demons in his life, really admirable. and comes off as a genuine, no-nonsense type of person.

It's not about knowing someone personally. You can see plenty of examples of how they present and carry themselves to know whether or not to like a person. But Sarkisian feels done in, twice now, not electing to bench a QB who was playing like garbage. And then exacerbating the issue with some nonsensical explanation last night that "it wasn't fair" to Card to give him a chance to win the game. What wasn't and isn't fair is Sarkisian sacrificing the good of a team when apparently he was too blind to see that Ewers needed to sit. 

59 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

He just seems like a good guy to me.

I didn’t know Herman personally either but he seemed like a dick.

I didn’t know Strong either. He just seemed clueless.

I did meet Mack personally a few times. Can confirm very thin skin.

Only HC I met in person, briefly, was Chuckles. Not PC, but I'm inclined to agree with Red McCombs assessment. /noracist

Agree that TFH does come off like a dick, but we'd overlook his juvenile antics if he won more. I still think he's a better coach than Sark. Not that it's a high bar.

• Hook 'Em 1

Sark's offense is the one that isn't playing his favorite buzzword "complementary football"

His continuous wasted second and short play of heaving the ball deep to double/triple covered Worthy who unless the ball is placed exactly in his hands (which happens never on these routes) won't make an effort to catch it just continuously wastes plays and sets team up for a predictable 3rd/short run play that teams just close all gaps and damn near tackle RB in back field.

Then punt and defense is back on field. Just crazy. Quit throwing deep to Worth on fly routes. It NEVER fucking works

His post-game presser comment underscores how fucking lost he is. It went something like, "when the defense gives you deep shot looks, you have to take them" or something.

Right, because that's how great teams win - by chucking multiple deep shots per game with a QB who hasn't connected on one since September.

If he doesn't make significant changes to how he operates the offense, he'll get humiliated at least twice a year, and lose 2-3 more close games.

Edited by CurlyDumps
  • Rage+1 1

When TCU sold out its LBs (and safeties sometimes) to stop the run, Sark's answer was and is to throw deep, which is fine, except Ewers sucks at the deep ball.  This is a systemic problem that should have been anticipated in, I don't know, May.  

Seems like we could have attacked the middle more to punish the LBs keying on the run so much.  

Anyway, the simple blueprint on this offense is there for all opponents to see.  

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

All due respect, my main concern about Sark here remains as it was through last season and thus far in this one: he is not able to carry out both HC and OC duties. Until he picks one and eschews the other, he's going  to continue to be shitty at both. 

Can he just be the OC and hire himself a HC to be his boss?  

• Like 1

Well the beauty in all this complaining about not running the ball is we'll have even less options to run the ball next season when Bijan and Roschon are both gone. So more Ewers throwing deep to Worthy! I guess we can pray Jaydon Blue and Jonathon Brooks just kick ass next year in a way Bijan and Roschon weren't really allowed to. 

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

All due respect, my main concern about Sark here remains as it was through last season and thus far in this one: he is not able to carry out both HC and OC duties. Until he picks one and eschews the other, he's going  to continue to be shitty at both. 

I don't think it's a time management issue. It's more a problem of coaching acumen problem, or lack thereof. Inability to adjust, stupid in game decisions such as roughing punter repeatedly, head scratching substitutions, etc.

What’s changed? Well he’s 11-11 so there’s that. And Kansas is a chance to redeem ourselves…Okeedokee! 
The article is a pretty brutal read:

In other words, TCU is everything Texas thinks it is, or should be, but hasn't been since Colt McCoy got knocked out of the 2010 BCS Championship Game in a 37-21 loss to Alabama. Steve Sarkisian is the third coach Texas has turned to since Mack Brown resigned in 2013, but 22 games into his tenure I've yet to see much evidence of it happening on the field.”

Edited by Nicole44
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

He tried to hire Stoops and Texas fans said “FUCK ALL THAT NOISE” and then he hired Pete

Reassign Milwee to recruiting, hire Riley Minor as OC. Then leave Riley to build the O based on talents instead of trying to hammer them into some predetermined system. If a new OC can make something happen, that's great, good, and wonderful; if he doesn't, it won't make a helluva lotta difference.

• Hook 'Em 1

So at this point, we are fucked. Not aggy fucked, but fucked. Getting rid of a HC after his 2nd season would make the program even less likely to attrack top tier HC. So in the meantime we have to hope Sark figures it out, and/or it really is the roster, the number of freshmen and RS freshmen, attrition, etc. Maybe the team matures and deveolpes under the position coaches to the point they can win inspite of the HC. Worked once. That was a very special group. 

As for Ewers, someone needs to get hold of him quick and get him straightened out. That deer in headlights thing never works out for the deer. He is an elite arm talent who is starting to look like less than elite head talent. Sam got away with it as a freshman because Herman's offense valued him as a fullback and he could move the chains. A QB who can't throw accurately in this offense is just a wasted uniform.

• Hook 'Em 1