This is who Steve Sarkisian is.

lilMAC25

13 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Can't tell if serious?

SR 4 year starter...25 TD / 2 int.

2531 yds passing, 66% completion rate.

He’s playing good ball right now but it only took him 4 years and losing his job to get to this point. If it weren’t for the guy that replaced him getting hurt, he might not have seen the field this year. Football is funny thing, but it never seems to fall our way. 

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

Did I miss the discussion about Bohl’s article claiming CDC had Sonny Dykes teed up to come to Texas when Eltife intervened? Supposedly they had the deal done and ready to go. 

I have a feeling what the reaction would have been if that hire went through, which is funny knowing what we know now. Dykes had a career record of 63-59 following the 2020 season.

45 minutes ago, Levi said:

He’s playing good ball right now but it only took him 4 years and losing his job to get to this point. If it weren’t for the guy that replaced him getting hurt, he might not have seen the field this year. Football is funny thing, but it never seems to fall our way. 

Yep, although he played well last year too, similar stats, problem was their defense didn't do well against teams that passed well. This year all those teams they struggled with don't have as good a QB and/or TCU took them out of the game. Things have definitely fallen their way this year and I think good coaches seem to make that happen more often.

4 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Yep, although he played well last year too, similar stats, problem was their defense didn't do well against teams that passed well. This year all those teams they struggled with don't have as good a QB and/or TCU took them out of the game. Things have definitely fallen their way this year and I think good coaches seem to make that happen more often.

Right, the coaches not squandering the opportunity’s that were put in front of them is big. The tcu coaches aren’t trying to out smart themselves either. Feed your good running back, and if the secondary defense is playing off on a crucial 3rd & 4 under 3min left, then run a simple slant with one of the best wr in the nation. It’s simple stuff. Sark, unfortunately, forgets he has some of the best players in the nation, and over complicates crucial calls. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jinx said:

I’ve been to three Florida games this year and watched the rest on TV. The difference between how the season started for UF and the 2nd half ass whipping they laid on A&M and absolute demolition of USC last weekend is a whole different team than started the year.

South Carolina is liquid ass. A&M lost to them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dignan said:

Agree with Klatt 100%. With the portal there is no reason to be rebuilding over 2-3 year period. It can happen immediately. If you have a good coach you should be able to turn around immediately. Yeah, just like USC. Sucks but true. 

To be fair, last year he gets a pass, but this year he had all the tools to be successful because NIL, Xfer Portal, everything was already figured out for him. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I love all this talent shit.

Looking at BOW's talent chart, KU has 66 3 and 4 stars and we have 78.  The vast majority of the talent in the B12 is concentrated in 3 and 4 stars, with a heavier bias toward 4 stars for the better teams.  And a few 5 stars sprinkled in there.

Are you dildos really that convinced that there's a ton of measurable difference between 3 and 4 star talents?

If we were loaded with 5 stars, that might be something.

This whole notion that we're way more talented that the rest of the big 12 is just an arrogant masturbatory fantasy fueled by 9.95ers, who are uniformly full of shit, according to this board, on virtually every other matter.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, immamac said:

To be fair, last year he gets a pass, but this year he had all the tools to be successful because NIL, Xfer Portal, everything was already figured out for him. 

I mean, this kind of assumes that you can fix a whole fucked up roster of 85 people just with portal players and freshmen.  Even if you can wallet whip the fuck out of them.

That's a pretty tall assumption.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Looking at BOW's talent chart, KU has 66 3 and 4 stars and we have 78.  The vast majority of the talent in the B12 is concentrated in 3 and 4 stars, with a heavier bias toward 4 stars for the better teams.  And a few 5 stars sprinkled in there.

Are you dildos really that convinced that there's a ton of measurable difference between 3 and 4 star talents?

This whole notion that we're way more talented that the rest of the big 12 is just an arrogant masturbatory fantasy fueled by 9.95ers, who are uniformly full of shit, according to this board, on virtually every other matter.

Fucking lulz. We have 52 4 stars to KU's 3. KU has 63 3 stars to the Horn's 26. Do I think that is significant? Absolutely. You're talking about the difference between the top ranked BigXII school and the bottom ranked BigXII school with respect to recruiting rankings. Apparently your argument is that recruiting rankings really dont matter for any teams in the BigXII, which is an interesting take. 

This article from 247 analyzes the 2017 and 2018 draft classes relative to the 2013 and 2014 recruiting classes. Chances of being drafted for those classes worked out to

2013 HS Class - 247Sports Composite

Five-star: 35 (65.7%)
Four-star: 330 (23%)
Three-star: 1,790 (5%)
Two-star: 1,720 (1.4%)

2014 HS Class

2014 Class - 247Sports Composite

5-star: 33 (57.6%)
4-star: 296 (23.6%)
3-star: 1,541 (6.9%)
2-star: 1,666 (1.1%)

https://247sports.com/Article/NFL-Draft-recruiting-rankings-go-hand-in-hand--117819292/

Using the averages of those two high school classes, a Texas team with  6 5* recruits , 52 4*  recruits, and 23 3* recruits would expect to have 17.3 NFL players on its roster. Kansas with its recruiting profile should expect to have 4.5 NFL players on its roster. Roughly 4X the amount of NFL talent seems like it would be significant to me. At least it should be significant if our coaches were worth a shit.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I mean, this kind of assumes that you can fix a whole fucked up roster of 85 people just with portal players and freshmen.  Even if you can wallet whip the fuck out of them.

That's a pretty tall assumption.

Weird how everyone else did it. Namely the good coaches who had the same infrastructure advantages. 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

This is seriously one of the worst takes I’ve ever read online regarding collegiate talent. It’s kind numbingly bad.

last year’s Kansas team beat Texas with a 3rd string QB and a walk on FB/TE (IIRC).

Edited by lilMAC25
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, lilMAC25 said:

This is seriously one of the worst takes I’ve ever read online regarding collegiate talent. It’s kind numbingly bad.

last year’s Kansas team beat Texas with a 3rd string QB and a walk on FB/TE (IIRC).

What were their star rankings?

I'm told that's all that matters.

I'm just not convinced that we have this massive talent advantage that everyone loves to crow about.

It also matters where the talent is concentrated.  Over the last 10 years, Texas, without doubt, has accumulated a lot of "star-based" talents, in cumulative positions and positions not of need.

Then you have the magical, disappearing 2018 and 2019 classes, so we're missing a shit ton of what should be upperclass talent.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Blotto said:

Fucking lulz. We have 52 4 stars to KU's 3. KU has 63 3 stars to the Horn's 26. Do I think that is significant? Absolutely. You're talking about the difference between the top ranked BigXII school and the bottom ranked BigXII school with respect to recruiting rankings. Apparently your argument is that recruiting rankings really dont matter for any teams in the BigXII, which is an interesting take. 

This article from 247 analyzes the 2017 and 2018 draft classes relative to the 2013 and 2014 recruiting classes. Chances of being drafted for those classes worked out to

2013 HS Class - 247Sports Composite

Five-star: 35 (65.7%)
Four-star: 330 (23%)
Three-star: 1,790 (5%)
Two-star: 1,720 (1.4%)

2014 HS Class

2014 Class - 247Sports Composite

5-star: 33 (57.6%)
4-star: 296 (23.6%)
3-star: 1,541 (6.9%)
2-star: 1,666 (1.1%)

https://247sports.com/Article/NFL-Draft-recruiting-rankings-go-hand-in-hand--117819292/

Using the averages of those two high school classes, a Texas team with  6 5* recruits , 52 4*  recruits, and 23 3* recruits would expect to have 17.3 NFL players on its roster. Kansas with its recruiting profile should expect to have 4.5 NFL players on its roster. Roughly 4X the amount of NFL talent seems like it would be significant to me. At least it should be significant if our coaches were worth a shit.

The point was, the data set was the B12.  Certain folks like to claim that Texas is way ahead of the rest of the conference in talent, save OU.

But, Texas, like all the other teams, including talent cellar-dweller KU, has most of its talent concentrated in 3 and 4 stars.  It's not like we have a bunch of 5 stars and everyone else is stuck with 2 and 3 stars, especially the pygmies.

So, our major advantage is having a shit ton more 4 stars as the worst-recruiting team in the conference.  And we know well that the fourth star can come simply by being recruited by Texas.

And stats like the above don't account for evaluations and recruiting to positions of need, which we have been shitty at for quite some time.  See, eg, OL, LB, DE, WR, etc.  Nor do they account for attrition/young talent vs, upperclass talent, as in the case of TCU.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'm just not convinced that we have this massive talent advantage that everyone loves to crow about.

It also matters where the talent is concentrated.  Over the last 10 years, Texas, without doubt, has accumulated a lot of "star-based" talents, in cumulative positions and positions not of need.

Then you have the magical, disappearing 2018 and 2019 classes, so we're missing a shit ton of what should be upperclass talent.

I know you’re being intentionally obtuse in an effort to win an argument, but you’re still wrong.

You were told that Texas football has more talent than KU (Sark has the tools he needs to succeed), but lost because KU has better coaching.

Even if you prove (you can’t) that Texas and KU talent is equal (again, LOL), coaching is STILL the differentiating factor.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lilMAC25 said:

I know you’re being intentionally obtuse in an effort to win an argument, but you’re still wrong.

You were told that Texas football has more talent than KU (Sark has the tools he needs to succeed), but lost because KU has better coaching.

Even if you prove (you can’t) that Texas and KU talent is equal (again, LOL), coaching is STILL the differentiating factor.

I actually didn't argue either of those points and never made any assertion about winning or losing to KU or whether we do or do not have a talent advantage over KU. 

I did use the "least talented" team in the Big XII to argue that our talent advantage is not as decisive as some seem to believe.  It's there, but it's not a massive gulf, except on paper.

Because most assert our talent advantage over every team in the BXII not Oklahoma, and whatever advantage there is becomes vanishingly slim and reliant on whatever difference there may be between 4 star and 3 star recruits and how they're evaluated and recruited to positions of need, and whether they stay in the program long enough to develop.

We have roughly 4x the number of 4 stars as TCU and OSU, the next two after OU.  And their divisions of 3 and 4 stars are roughly equivalent to KUs, and everyone else's in the BXII.  You can't seriously contend that we have a 3x or 4x talent advantage over TCU or OSU, or even 2x.

Both Gundy and Patterson seem to be/have been good evaluators that recruit/ed to their needs, especially in the trenches over time.  That's better than what we've had.

And I don't contend that coaching doesn't matter, either.

My sole point is that our talent advantage I think is often illusory.  And certainly not helped by development and continuity.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

4 of the starters on offense and 6 on defense were brought in by Dykes via the portal.

It was very mean of you to post this. Your are correct, but pointing out that some coaches can quickly improve their team via the portal is very upsetting to Hookem2147 and others on this board. Why are Sark and these posters impervious to the truth? That is God's own private mystery. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

The point was, the data set was the B12.  Certain folks like to claim that Texas is way ahead of the rest of the conference in talent, save OU.

But, Texas, like all the other teams, including talent cellar-dweller KU, has most of its talent concentrated in 3 and 4 stars.  It's not like we have a bunch of 5 stars and everyone else is stuck with 2 and 3 stars, especially the pygmies.

So, our major advantage is having a shit ton more 4 stars as the worst-recruiting team in the conference.  And we know well that the fourth star can come simply by being recruited by Texas.

And stats like the above don't account for evaluations and recruiting to positions of need, which we have been shitty at for quite some time.  See, eg, OL, LB, DE, WR, etc.  Nor do they account for attrition/young talent vs, upperclass talent, as in the case of TCU.

Here is overall:

image.png.8a918b2c92c248b9b3dc166612111331.png

Texas and Texas A&M are the outliers of this group, grossly underachieving.

1 - Bama, needs no explanation, perennial playoff team
2 - Georgia, no explanation, defending NC
3 - Ohio State, no explanation, perennial playoff team
4 - LOL, washed coach we all shit talk for underperforming
5 - Clemson, no explanation, perennial playoff team
6- LOL, we grossly underachieve
7 - made playoffs, wins PAC occasionally
8 - recent national champion
9 - makes playoff often, wins conference
10 - Makes NC games, competes in playoff.

We're not just top the big 12 were just outside the top 5 in all of college football from a roster talent perspective. 

To me as it does with A&M equates to shit coaching not getting the most out of the talent on hand.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

12 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Here is overall:

image.png.8a918b2c92c248b9b3dc166612111331.png

Texas and Texas A&M are the outliers of this group, grossly underachieving.

1 - Bama, needs no explanation, perennial playoff team
2 - Georgia, no explanation, defending NC
3 - Ohio State, no explanation, perennial playoff team
4 - LOL, washed coach we all shit talk for underperforming
5 - Clemson, no explanation, perennial playoff team
6- LOL, we grossly underachieve
7 - made playoffs, wins PAC occasionally
8 - recent national champion
9 - makes playoff often, wins conference
10 - Makes NC games, competes in playoff.

We're not just top the big 12 were just outside the top 5 in all of college football from a roster talent perspective. 

To me as it does with A&M equates to shit coaching not getting the most out of the talent on hand.

According to Twicehorn, we dont have a talent advantage. The team with the 6th most talent on paper has no talent advantage of KU.....because they have a lot of 3 stars or some stupid shit. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

My sole point is that our talent advantage I think is often illusory.  And certainly not helped by development and continuity.

11 hours ago, CTC2 said:

Moved on to basketball. Those guys are hungry and play like it.  No egos and seemingly appreciative of the fans as well as a head coach that does not suck. 

5 hours ago, lilMAC25 said:

Was Breece Hall right  ?

• Hook 'Em 1

I love you guys arguing talent vs coaching like it’s some binary thing when the most likely answer is both things are true.

1. Our talent on paper is not that decisive an advantage
2. Our coaching and development is shit.

Put your hands together and that’s how you get to a decade+ of this bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 2

Every time I listen to Sark he really needs to do like Brian Kelly and "evolve" past calling plays and put that behind him. Want to work with QBs, help in scheming, sure but he needs a full time play calling OC so he can be head coach unless he wants to just move to OC and let someone else come in to be HC.  He's not spending enough time in either role and I'm not sure he can.

• Hook 'Em 3

I love you guys arguing talent vs coaching like it’s some binary thing when the most likely answer is both things are true.

1. Our talent on paper is not that decisive an advantage
2. Our coaching and development is shit.

Put your hands together and that’s how you get to a decade+ of this bullshit.
ddeec0e804b34652b05521d71b627aef.jpg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Every time I listen to Sark he really needs to do like Brian Kelly and "evolve" past calling plays and put that behind him. Want to work with QBs, help in scheming, sure but he needs a full time play calling OC so he can be head coach unless he wants to just move to OC and let someone else come in to be HC.  He's not spending enough time in either role and I'm not sure he can.

Yep. Very few HCs can also be the primary play caller. It doesn’t lend to a ton of success. It’s an ego thing and a security blanket. It typically doesn’t work out well at all. I dug out an old article and posted it a while back when Sark was at Washington. Said he was hired for his play calling and wasn’t giving it up. Jimbo was also mentioned in the same article talking about the same thing. Pride comes before the fall I guess. The TCU game should have broken our way (bad ref call aside on that one TD.) we’ve talked about why we lost all week but it’s really not hard to see that Sark can’t be both a HC and the primary play caller. I don’t know many HCs that sit up in the booth but if he’s not giving up the OC job he needs to be up there so he can see what the fuck is happening. Because he’s not interacting with players on the sideline. Just giving them awkward shoves to pump them up before they run through the tunnel.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I actually didn't argue either of those points and never made any assertion about winning or losing to KU or whether we do or do not have a talent advantage over KU. 

I did use the "least talented" team in the Big XII to argue that our talent advantage is not as decisive as some seem to believe.  It's there, but it's not a massive gulf, except on paper.

Because most assert our talent advantage over every team in the BXII not Oklahoma, and whatever advantage there is becomes vanishingly slim and reliant on whatever difference there may be between 4 star and 3 star recruits and how they're evaluated and recruited to positions of need, and whether they stay in the program long enough to develop.

We have roughly 4x the number of 4 stars as TCU and OSU, the next two after OU.  And their divisions of 3 and 4 stars are roughly equivalent to KUs, and everyone else's in the BXII.  You can't seriously contend that we have a 3x or 4x talent advantage over TCU or OSU, or even 2x.

Both Gundy and Patterson seem to be/have been good evaluators that recruit/ed to their needs, especially in the trenches over time.  That's better than what we've had.

And I don't contend that coaching doesn't matter, either.

Kansas HC would be thrilled to successfully recruit the players we do.

• Hook 'Em 3

I keep thinking this game may be very important to Sarkisian's tenure on the 40.  Has any Horns head coach lost to Kansas twice in football?  Certainly not in back-to-back years, I wouldn't think.  Since Kansas is fairly new to the schedule, let's equate them with Rice and ask the same question:  has any coach lost in back-to-back years to bottom feeders?

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

without even using the Googles I can tell you no. No Texas coach has lost to Kansas back-to-back and no coach has lost to Kansas twice in their career at Texas.

He should be fired on the spot if we lose. Right on the fucking field. Before time runs out. Fuck him in the ass if that happens 

Sadly, Sark and Strong are the only two Texas coaches to lose to the Jayhawks in the modern era. You have to go back to the 1930s to find another example… 

Is that good lol? 

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

without even using the Googles I can tell you no. No Texas coach has lost to Kansas back-to-back and no coach has lost to Kansas twice in their career at Texas.

He should be fired on the spot if we lose. Right on the fucking field. Before time runs out. Fuck him in the ass if that happens 

Come on. This isn’t your older cousins Kansas.  These guys have talent

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, JFKFC said:

It was very mean of you to post this. Your are correct, but pointing out that some coaches can quickly improve their team via the portal is very upsetting to Hookem2147 and others on this board. Why are Sark and these posters impervious to the truth? That is God's own private mystery. 

First off, it isn't even true about what he posted. Second, people are just tired of your never ending rear view mirror wishcasting. At what point do you move on from the fact that Sark didn't go get offensive linemen in the portal? The 200 plus days of bitching complaining isn't going to change what took place. Move the fuck on, JFC.

11 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

This is real stupid. Stop doubling down

• Hook 'Em 1

Kansas isn’t a bad team. If Daniels doesn’t get hurt vs TCU they have at least two more wins under their belt. I think he will be back for our game but he’ll be rusty from not playing. We shall see. At least they know they have their HC (assuming he doesn’t bolt.) bean is also hurt so if they trot out a third stringer and beat us damn. Oh wait…

• Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

They got 3 stars all over the place

we shit more stars than they have. Not one position was recruited or starts that was higher star out of high school than Texas has.

We should all just call it over if we lose. I mean over over . lights out and I'm in hiding over

I might be drinking by the way

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Kansas isn’t a bad team. If Daniels doesn’t get hurt vs TCU they have at least two more wins under their belt. I think he will be back for our game but he’ll be rusty from not playing. We shall see. At least they know they have their HC (assuming he doesn’t bolt.) bean is also hurt so if they trot out a third stringer and beat us damn. Oh wait…

They definitely beat gooner

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

we shit more stars than they have. Not one position was recruited or starts that was higher star out of high school than Texas has.

We should all just call it over if we lose. I mean over over . lights out and I'm in hiding over

I might be drinking by the way

220F8455-705C-41B1-9844-AB9687B57C82.gif.4035adb0e3476a3b7312659ba10738ac.gif