Texas BBQ

Washpark

I once found myself passing through Decatur, AL and stopped at Big Bob Gibson’s.  I thought their ribs were pretty good.  I’m not a big chicken guy, but since it was their specialty I ordered it and put their white sauce on it.  When in Rome and all of that.  Not a fan.  At all.  If I ever find myself back in Decatur (unlikely) I would go back and get the pulled pork and ribs.

Alabama is a barbecue desert like west Georgia. Big Bob Gibson is the best they have and it’s not good. They like light smoke and no seasoning. Like they are in Kentucky.

turkey is SO easy to smoke. can't recommend it enough in case anyone is curious. super easy

I’ve done turkey breast every two weeks since that video came out. I didn’t even know H‑E‑B carried whole boneless breasts until that video.

Go ahead and smoke a couple at a time because you won’t have leftovers if you cook just one.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 5/29/2022 at 8:00 AM, CooterBrown said:

I’ve done turkey breast every two weeks since that video came out. I didn’t even know H‑E‑B carried whole boneless breasts until that video.

Go ahead and smoke a couple at a time because you won’t have leftovers if you cook just one.

not all of them do, the local one JUST added them maybe start of May? before that had to go to another one that was 30 min away to see them consistently. we didn't even have them during holidays last few years

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

How was the line and what time did to arrive?

That looks great as I remember it.

We arrived about 9:15am and were served around Noon.  I visited with most everyone in front of us, the earliest arrivers were there at 6am.

We arrived about 9:15am and were served around Noon.  I visited with most everyone in front of us, the earliest arrivers were there at 6am.

It was good but not that good when I went there before the ranking. Plenty of great places around without a three hour wait.

Sunbird Update:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CePYV-iOKYf/

What's up everybody?! Just wanted to share a quick update. We have found a new location that we'll share with you soon. We should be able to let you know where maybe next week, just have a few more things to do before that happens. I also wanted to say THANK YOU for all of the kind comments and messages we've received over the last few weeks. We all miss you and can't wait to open our window to you soon!

3 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Leroy and Lewis was an awesome lunch grab. No wait, place had good shaded seating. Food was amazing. Tried the beef cheeks, liked them. But I went for the burger and it was 10/10. Would check it out again

It's a shame they only do brisket on the weekends.  

But, you should definitely come and get the brisket on the weekend.  It's great.

Stopped at a little place called Pioneer BBQ in Nixon on the way back from Port A yesterday.  Wasn't terrible, wasn't great.  Brisket had good flavor but they gave me some semi dry flat and saved the moist for my in-laws who ordered sliced sammiches.  Sausage was solid to good.  Was just happy to find a local place open on Monday.  

Hurtado's in Arlington. Really solid. Ribs and sausage better than the brisket. Buddy said there's one opening in Pilot Point today.

There was basically no line and they were good at taking orders and getting food out fast.

PXL_20220607_161934710.jpg

Edited by fellside
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, fellside said:

Hurtado's in Arlington. Really solid. Ribs and sausage better than the brisket. Buddy said there's one opening in Pilot Point today.

There was basically no line and they were good at taking orders and getting food out fast.

PXL_20220607_161934710.jpg

Those beans look incredible. 

On 6/3/2022 at 6:00 PM, dcbc said:

Sunbird's new location (still in the trailer).. Opening in about two weeks.

401 W Hawkins Pkwy, Longview, TX 75605

7 minutes from the parents and essentially behind  Papacitas which is the first place I go when back home (nostalgia is a bitch, I know there is better but whatever). Great location for him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

PXL_20220607_161934710.thumb.jpg.97c6685ac078eac504e43c199b193dfd.jpg

His brisket usually looks better than that and is top notch. Always has a special sausage.

I always worry when a barbecue place goes from one service to two, and even more so when they go from one location to two. Hope it’s not a portent.

You should have got his tortillas; made with brisket drippings.
  • Hook 'Em 2

His brisket usually looks better than that and is top notch. Always has a special sausage.

I always worry when a barbecue place goes from one service to two, and even more so when they go from one location to two. Hope it’s not a portent.

Don’t you live in Memphis?

15 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Hell I've only seen one transition from food truck to brick and mortar that didn't result in a quality decline (Aaron Franklin). In the Dallas area it's mostly been the kiss of death for quality. Heim was able to make the transition from food truck to what's about to be 5 locations but they're a shell of what they used to be at the food truck. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HRSchenker said:

Hell I've only seen one transition from food truck to brick and mortar that didn't result in a quality decline (Aaron Franklin). In the Dallas area it's mostly been the kiss of death for quality. Heim was able to make the transition from food truck to what's about to be 5 locations but they're a shell of what they used to be at the food truck. 

It's a HARD change across the board.

Pecan Lodge doubled their pit space and I think went to new pits when they jumped to an actual B&M from Farmers Market

Went to the Troubadour Festival in Georgetown on Saturday. By my count, I sampled barbecue from 33 different places. Some places had different bites for the VIP hours, so I sampled more than that.

I met both Luke Duke and Champ at the Dozier's tent.

Only a handful of places sampling brisket. Lots of pork, pork belly, and ribs. A few that were memorable:

Dayne's - whole hog
Interstellar - General Tso pork belly
Micklethwait - pork cheek
Feges - Alabama rib tips and pork jowl pastrami rice
Dozier's - Gochujang rib tips
Brotherton's - peach cobbler sausage & chicken mole sausage
Agape - excellent barbacoa
Lavaca - smoked tamales
2M - Carne asado tacos (most disappointing bite)
Brett's Backyard - prime brisket and jap cheese sausage
Leroy & Lewis - fajita pork rib
Teddy's - whole head barbecoa (pulled meat off the skulls at the tent)
Khoi - Asian inspired wings - really good
Tejas - chile relleno sausage, carrot souffle, and mint/mousse dessert

Three trips to Tejas for the carrot souffle - my favorite non-traditional side in Texas barbecue.

A bunch of other stuff I can remember.

Done eating in about two hours. Then there was nine hours of good live music.

Will do it again next year. VIP got me in an hour early, two drinks, a t-shirt, and a seat in the shade. Shade was worth the cost.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

Tejas was excellent today. 1/4 lb. Fatty, link of chile relleno.  

image.thumb.jpeg.b93df427122779a5182f6377dc8ebb1c.jpeg
I also saw via the social media that Willow took a job cooking at Killen’s and his wife will work at one of the steakhouses.  I hope this is good for them. Maybe one day he will have his own place again. 
Says he still wants to open his own place and is trying to learn operations from Killen

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/06-08-22-willow-villarreal-jasmine-barela-killens-barbecue-steakhouse-ronnie-killen/#slide=0
  • Hook 'Em 1