Texas BBQ

Washpark

RE: brisket hardship convo above

If they don’t serve brisket,I’m not likely to eat there, if I am seeking a BBQ joint.  

Edited by slorch

20 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Going to be driving through Lubbock around 11 on Sunday. Can any locals give me an idea about the line at Evie Mae’s? Don’t want to spend too damn long in line, but it would break up my drive a bit if it’s not too bad. Appreciate any insight.

It’s worth the stop and not usually too crazy of a wait. Open on Sunday 11-3-ish.

Depending upon your heading, see if Olton, TX fits in to your path?  Rejinos  is legit, as well. 

Edit Rejinos is closed on Sundays.  Maybe another time…

Edited by slorch

7 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

It’s fairly simple. Learn how to cook fucking choice or select grade briskets the way OG pit guys did it and still do it. Railhead and David’s sell very good sliced brisket for less than $20 a pound. Last time I was at Railhead the brisket was $17.50 lb. Chopped $13.50. Same as their great salami. And they have killer fries and ice cold beer.

This is the way. Get back to roots smoking scraps and problem cuts expertly and give up all this crafts farm prime meat.

Geren and Pilcher have held the line on price by doing just this and their beer sales are consistently strong as well.  Those prices are current as of yesterday and as much as I love Panthercity, Hurtado's, Goldee's, etc., I arrived at 11:30 just as a whole brisket was being sliced and enjoyed paying for 1/2 lb of brisket and 1/2 lb of ribs for under $20. It takes someone with skills I don't have to tell the difference between prime and choice brisket, but the 1 2 lb of brisket I had was as good as those sold at the craft stores for twice the price. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

went to Helberg on Sat AM - the drive through experience is great. had their barbacoa special, which was really damn good. jalapeno link and a half lb of pork steak - all of which were excellent.

BUT those dudes shorted me on a lb of brisket, which i did not realize until i was back home 3 hours away.

sucks, but is what it is. just going to consider it a $30 tip to some good folks who  need it a this point

but seriously, the drive through process was very, very easy. pull up - order - pull up to the trailers - dude asks if you need bbq sauce, bread, etc - brings out your order and you drive off. they have outdoor seating too (picnic tables)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 10/28/2022 at 9:36 AM, Storm the Field said:

Pit Room opening up a much larger 2nd location out in Memorial City, next door to Fishing Tackle Unlimited.

PIT_ROOM_10_26_22___RENDERING_Philip_Ewa

https://houston.eater.com/2022/10/26/23424738/houstons-pit-room-opens-new-resturant-expansion-katy-barbecue-bbq-memorial-city

Pit Room's 2nd location out in Memorial City is almost ready. They just posted yesterday that they're hiring staff for an expected March opening.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Pit Room's 2nd location out in Memorial City is almost ready. They just posted yesterday that they're hiring staff for an expected March opening.

Oh, dear Lord.  Right next door to Fishing Tackle Unlimited.

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

Admittedly, I am not experienced in running a restaurant, but I don't really understand the 3X cost model.  Let's say brisket used to cost $3/lb, and that price has spiked to $5/lb.  It would seem that the selling price would only need to go up $2/lb to cover that cost increase.  However, the argument is that total cost went from (say) $9 to $11 per pound, so the selling price has to go from $27 to $33 per pound.
The only explanation I can come up with is that ALL costs rose a similar amount, not just the cost of the meat.  That makes sense in a time of high inflation, but blaming the price increase only on the cost of the meat is wrong.
I am the definition of the "armchair beef economist" referenced in the article, so there you go.

The problem is most of these operators don’t have a clue about running a restaurant business. Most of their issues is that they don’t understand cost accounting and most importantly, lack cost awareness. They see TV shows that talk about the 3x model, without regard for the market. Meanwhile a lot of these folks couldn’t tell you their daily nut or the avg revenue per cover or the true cost of a hamburger bun.

The restaurant math has flipped crazysince Covid as food costs, fuel, labor, rents, packaging have gone nuts. They are wrapped up in ingredient inflation with farm specific custom meat, switching from Great value hamburger buns to custom brioche buns, and using craft sodas. Most of these guys have no clue what their real costs are, nor have the retail expertise to pivot their business. Its like flying an airplane, and they can barely drive a car.

At the end of all this the operators that made money with a popular trailer that go lease an expensive storefront and hire a dozen folks at $15 hour avg and can’t cook anything but prime brisket will vanish in a cyclone of debt and missed payrolls. And the OG guys using their old timey pits and choice meats and cheap rent will just be trucking along.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Party_Taco said:

Will obviously give it a shot, but scale sure does kill a lot of great trailers…

I mean how many trailers in the top 50 are doing two meal services per day and open these hours? 

The place I'm least concerned about drop off with the growth from trailer to B&M right now is L&L

IMG_3950.thumb.jpeg.440cde79dcd029a52300fb49c4c961b8.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

Will Guess BBQ in Waco make it? I ate there two weeks ago and the brisket was as good as any top ten. Ate there today and brisket was dry as could be.  Both times the place was empty just before noon. See where they are open on days they used to be closed and have added dinner service, seems like the kiss of death. Another brick and mortar that seems to be struggling. 

On 2/26/2024 at 8:50 AM, Frank Drebin said:

If you are going to have brick and mortar, you better have a good bar that sells a lot of booze.  And probably need to make money off of rubs and sauces online or at retailers.  Pinkertons does both and he does well.

As does Stanley's.  They're serving a lot of food between 11 a.m. and 10 p.m. and that bar always seems to be a lively place.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, deft said:

I’d kill for a cadillac motherclucker. I would drive from San Antonio to Tyler but I’d kill for one.

1 hour ago, deadshank said:

What is a cadillac motherfucker?  An off-menu item somewhere?

it's quite simply the best sandwich in Texas BBQ, non brisket division. From Stanley's in Tyler.

let me hand it off to BBQSnob himself:

The Mother Clucker isn’t offered as a Super Deluxe because the smoked chicken-thigh sandwich already comes on a jalapeño-cheese roll. Former Stanley’s employee (and current pitmaster at Franklin Barbecue) Jordan Jackson constructed the sandwich, but he didn’t name it. “Nick walked in the kitchen and said, ‘I want to make a chicken sandwich that’s made with chicken thighs and call it the Mother Clucker,’ ” Jackson said. “I did the rest of it.” He dusted a boneless, skinless chicken thigh with Pitmaster’s Spike, a rub created by another former Stanley’s pitmaster, Jonathan Shaw, and smoked it. Jackson whipped up a blend of mayo and the spicy barbecue sauce (a version of it is now sold as Clucker Sauce on grocery-store shelves) and added cheese and a fried egg.

I tried the sandwich shortly after it went on the menu. Jackson remembers Valentine’s Day 2014 because that’s when I called the Mother Clucker the best barbecue sandwich in Texas. Jackson remembers arguing with Pencis that he needed to charge more for the sandwich before then, but that day Pencis told him it was finally time to raise the price. It’s currently $10, but $2.50 more gets you a Cadillac Clucker with guacamole and candied bacon. It’s about the only time in my life I’d suggest skipping the guac.

and

Stanley’s Famous Pit BBQ, Tyler – Mother Clucker
Components: jalapeño cheese sourdough, smoked chicken thigh, fried egg, cheddar cheese, spicy barbecue mayo, candied bacon, and guacamole (on request).

This sandwich just sounds ridiculous, but it’s nothing short of ridiculously good. The smoked chicken thigh will make you rethink using a chicken breast on a sandwich ever again. It’s perfectly moist, tender, and smoky. If the BBQ mayo doesn’t enrich it enough, the yolk will once it’s broken. Just because it has egg and bacon, don’t relegate it just to breakfast. Texas’s best barbecue sandwich should be enjoyed all day long.

these are not my pictures

image.thumb.png.833610caf6d69cd168debae62c7422df.png

attachment-Untitled-1600-%25C3%2597-1067

the fact that nobody has fully ripped this off or done their own spin on it is a travesty.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Drool 3

1 hour ago, NoName said:

it's quite simply the best sandwich in Texas BBQ, non brisket division. From Stanley's in Tyler.

let me hand it off to BBQSnob himself:

and

these are not my pictures

image.thumb.png.833610caf6d69cd168debae62c7422df.png

attachment-Untitled-1600-%25C3%2597-1067

the fact that nobody has fully ripped this off or done their own spin on it is a travesty.

It's so monumentally good.  When my son used to work there, he told me that the calorie count on the bun alone is ridiculous.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 2/26/2024 at 8:57 PM, RMac5 said:

Will Guess BBQ in Waco make it? I ate there two weeks ago and the brisket was as good as any top ten. Ate there today and brisket was dry as could be.  Both times the place was empty just before noon. See where they are open on days they used to be closed and have added dinner service, seems like the kiss of death. Another brick and mortar that seems to be struggling. 

They've had dinner service for a few years now.  But they've been less consistent as of late.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, deft said:

It was supposed to say I wouldn’t drive from sa to tyler. Still wouldn’t but I’m just more soberer right now. Would still consider murder for that chicken Sammy tho.

Who could blame you?  That's a long-ass drive.  But there are plenty of people out there who could be traded for a Clucker.

Not sure if this fit’s exactly in this thread, but the Flatonia KCs knocked it out of the park with their BBQ chicken fundraiser plates this evening.  A very solid meal for $14.
IMG_5473.thumb.jpeg.68a4b3d7e482100c0d62f08b1e630dc7.jpeg

I wouldn’t have expected the KCs to serve an aborted fetus.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yesterday out toward the lake in the Morgan's Point/Belton area, in a pinch, I needed some food, and about the only thing around was Backyard Barbecue, or BBQ or whatever they call it. I hadn't been there in about 20 years, being unimpressed in prior visits. It was known more for chicken fried steak and other sources of grease and carbohydrates. But I was starving and way late for my usual eating time. I got a brisket and rib plate to go and it was actually quite good! Brisket was moist and smoky with just the right amount of fat, perfect pull, legit barbecue. The rib was large and had a perfect bite, no-frills smoked porky goodness. Sides were good, but I was shocked by how decent the barbecue goods were, and the price was lower than the usual trend. I've definitely been missing out. It may be my new local go-to barbecue destination when both quality and price and the lack of bbq tourist douche element are all factored in.

Edited by DougO
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DougO said:

Yesterday out toward the lake in the Morgan's Point/Belton area, in a pinch, I needed some food, and about the only thing around was Backyard Barbecue, or BBQ or whatever they call it. I hadn't been there in about 20 years, being unimpressed in prior visits. It was known more for chicken fried steak and other sources of grease and carbohydrates. But I was starving and way late for my usual eating time. I got a brisket and rib plate to go and it was actually quite good! Brisket was moist and smoky with just the right amount of fat, perfect pull, legit barbecue. The rib was large and had a perfect bite, no-frills smoked porky goodness. Sides were good, but I was shocked by how decent the barbecue goods were, and the price was lower than the usual trend. I've definitely been missing out. It may be my new local go-to barbecue destination when both quality and price and the lack of bbq tourist douche element are all factored in.

They must've accidentally hired a pitmaster who gives a damn.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

They must've accidentally hired a pitmaster who gives a damn.

When I first got there and parked near the pits I saw the pit guy walking and talking with what was probably a trainee about details of the job. I liked what little I heard, like the guy actually knew what he was talking about. Definitely encouraging. I'll check back again to test for consistency and be more prepared to get some pics. 

• Like 1

Don's in Austin gets a B+ from me today (maybe even a soft A-).

I usually go to the Oak Hill location as I work nearby but they have a location at Oltorf and 35 as well. 

$13.59 brisket plate - two sides and a drink. 

20240304_122454.thumb.jpg.1ea45ba8bbb6f8bffe3f3bcc939342c4.jpg

I've had pretty damn good BBQ from here and I have had painfully average BBQ from here.

Brisket was on point today - also they have fried okra as you can see. 

20240304_123035.thumb.jpg.82f3378202efe3dfb922a4e1c4fddd13.jpg

Really nice folks, they do great Mexican breakfast (tacos, guisada, barbacoa, migas) and do a good cheeseburger, too.

Edited by ztejas