[BAN HAMMER THREAD] Washington St fires HC and assistants - Football only

BurntOrange&White

Yep.  Christian Scientist, some "subgroups" of Amish (forgive me, not trying to be flippant...just don't know the names), some "subgroups" of Jehovah's Witness (same), and some "subgroups" of Mennonites.  I think Church of Scientology is still kind of up in the air in terms of judicial rulings simply because it's so new that my dad once said, "Yeah, I think they called me to help get something started up in Chicago").  

But those first groups are almost always granted blanket exemption/opt-out for anything required for schooling/employment/etc. that involves inoculation/vaccination/medical treatment of almost all kinds.  I don't believe in them obviously, but you have to give them some modicum of judicial acknowledgement if only because they've stuck to those principles for centuries.  They didn't suddenly just get religion in the last election cycle.  /noCR...but the football coach now protesting his dismissal is still coaching carousel news.  But I'm assuming he's going for a portion of his buyout and not a civil case versus the government for reinstatement.  Because that would be one awkward locker room reunion.

Plus, this was the Wazzou coach who used to bring in tarot card readers to meet with the team.  And not being ironic like Mike Leach.  Catholics, except for my mom and her crazy group of friends from Mexico, really frown upon that kinda shit. 

Edited by Lobo

On 10/18/2021 at 9:55 PM, aggie08 said:

If I believed for a second that most of these people consulted honestly with their personal doctors, epidemiologists, and local public health experts, but still decided that they're just not comfortable with getting vaccinated yet, I'd have sympathy. But that's not what's happening. Most of them are acting on junk science from bad faith actors with a political agenda (many of whom are vaccinated themselves) and what they hear from social media directly or via family/friends. Then they usually spread that misinformation further in an attempt to justify their choices.

Or said perhaps a little more eloquently, there are a bunch of dumb motherf*ckers out there that believe anything they read or hear, even though it’s propaganda. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

The WSU coach decided to take $0 in income, rack up legal fees, go against the leader of his religion, and get added to the black book by ADs around the country for no good reason?

Bold move.

But, he can always run for Congress in eastern Washington, probably get elected in a landslide, and grift off of people and various super PACS going forward.  Get a ghostwriter to help him pen his tale, make frequent apperances on a variety of "news" programs, whatnot.  In fact, it probably would pay out a lot more than just coaching.

• Rage+1 1

I guess he's my mom's brand of catholic. The pope is infallible, unless he's a flaming liberul. Something something baby fetuses. 

The pope has spoken. Vaccines are okay.

He will not win this case. Good luck coaching high school football in some small southern town that will worship your fake martyrdom. 

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Story I heard yesterday was that the "committee" that did the blind reviews is 2 people. He was given the exception. Then they pass that recommendation up to his boss, the AD, and AD was the one who shot it down. Basically they couldn't create an environment that would be safe if he were running around unvaxed so adios. 

21 hours ago, C-Man said:

That game was insanely bad. The story I heard was Mike Price's team was just blitzing Texas mercilessly, overwhelming our O-linemen. They came to the sideline at one point imploring the OL coach (MacWhorter, I think) to coach them on what to do. He had no fucking idea and walked away. That was the night I wanted Mack Brown to go away.

you were wanting Mack Brown to go away in 2003....???    bullshit.

the year where we finshed 2nd in the Big 12 before the Champ game.... where we got totally BCS fucked because Kstate DESTROYED ou that week, meaning Kstate got the auto invite and ou, despite being beaten like a bitch, was given the chance to go play in the MNC vs LSU.?

we were #5 in the fucking country and we werent allowed to play in a big 4 bowl game for the 3rd straight year.

our whole team was sick and fucking tired of finishing in the top 10 and not being allowed to play in a fucking Big 4 bowl game.  If ou wins that fucking game we get to play in one of the bowls.   instead we get the Holiday Bowl for the 3rd out of the previous 4 years.   Thats why we got rocked  ( just like Cal did the next year).

it was the reason Mack got so much shit in 2004 reminding the voters that we got fucked the last 3 years in the big bowl games and that we had clearly played better than Cal and deserved the '04 Rose bowl.  Mack wasnt going to let us get fucked again in the voiting.

3 hours ago, SizzleChest said:

All legal precedent working against him.  There's really no remedy.

old lawyer joke,

if the law is on your side, pound the law.

if the facts are on your side, pound the facts.

If neither is on your side, pound the table. 

He did that and FAFO

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

the year where we finshed 2nd in the Big 12 before the Champ game.... where we got totally BCS fucked because Kstate DESTROYED ou that week, meaning Kstate got the auto invite and ou, despite being beaten like a bitch, was given the chance to go play in the MNC vs LSU.?

we were #5 in the fucking country and we werent allowed to play in a big 4 bowl game for the 3rd straight year.

our whole team was sick and fucking tired of finishing in the top 10 and not being allowed to play in a fucking Big 4 bowl game.  If ou wins that fucking game we get to play in one of the bowls.   instead we get the Holiday Bowl for the 3rd out of the previous 4 years.   Thats why we got rocked  ( just like Cal did the next year).

it was the reason Mack got so much shit in 2004 reminding the voters that we got fucked the last 3 years in the big bowl games and that we had clearly played better than Cal and deserved the '04 Rose bowl.  Mack wasnt going to let us get fucked again in the voiting.

old lawyer joke,

He did that and FAFO

There was a decent number of Texas fans wanting Mack gone by '03. Repeated record-setting losses to your main rival will do that. I still remember the FireMackBrown.com website that was up and running around that time.

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

That Holiday Bowl game to end ‘03 was when I remember people starting to get really impatient with Mack. Everything you stated is true, but Mack had also lost to OU 4 straight, including 2 total ass beatings. Mack was in his 6th year and everyone had kind of concluded after that game that his program had plateaued and that he couldn’t get over the hump.

He made the defensive change going into ‘04 and VY became VY that season, and the rest is history. But there was a lot of doubt about Mack after that Wash St game.

1 hour ago, AUS-97HORN said:

old lawyer joke,

He did that and FAFO

I absolutely did. I was covering aggy for the FWST that year and watched the first half of the K-State/Texas game from a hotel room (in OK maybe -- EDIT: I was in Lubbock about to watch BJ Symons throw for 25 TDs against aggy that night) and we fell behind pretty bad early. I called Mack a "cancer" on Shaggy and Katy either banned me or suspended me. I guess I got banned because I came back as "Cancer Man" and later shortened it to C-Man because using the "C" word was a little uncomfortable after awhile. By the time Wazzu rolled around, I was ready for Mack to pack up his shit and go. We'd lost to OU four years in a row. I remember drinking beer with fellow FWST scribes Jimmy Burch and Mike Jones under the Cotton Bowl sign in October 2004 just after the 12-0 whitewash to OU in a driving thunderstorm thinking he was gone, gone, gone -- and I was pleased. I actually covered the Texas-OkState game the next week (maybe) and Texas fell way behind at home. Then Vince drove us down the field for a TD to cut it to 35-14 at the half or something and then we just skullfucked them in the second half. Vince never lost again.

EDIT: Cleaning up some facts. We were up big on K-State that year but blew a 17-3 lead to fall behind 20-17 in the fourth. That's when I called Mack a "cancer." Texas won the game in the closing minutes. (Let me add we'd already lost to Arkansas that season and would get our doors blown off the next week at the RRS 65-13.) My recounting of the OkSt game is off by a year. We were losing at the half, though. I did cover that game at Stillwater and the one the following year in Austin. The 2004 OkSt game was several weeks after the shutout loss to OU.

Edited by C-Man
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

That Holiday Bowl game to end ‘03 was when I remember people starting to get really impatient with Mack. Everything you stated is true, but Mack had also lost to OU 4 straight, including 2 total ass beatings. Mack was in his 6th year and everyone had kind of concluded after that game that his program had plateaued and that he couldn’t get over the hump.

He made the defensive change going into ‘04 and VY became VY that season, and the rest is history. But there was a lot of doubt about Mack after that Wash St game.

To reiterate my case against Mack at the Holiday Bowl debacle:

• Run of four (or so) straight Top 5 recruiting classes
  • Four straight losses to OU, including 63-21 and 65-13
  • Home loss to Arkansas
  • Burped up lead against K-State before rallying for win
  • Losing to OkState in Stillwater at the half before rallying to win
  • Looking like amateurs against Wazzu's pass rush in (another) Holiday Bowl

I wanted him gone, plain and simple. Add in the shutout loss to OU the following year AND falling behind OkState 35-7 in the first half in Austin and it was done. Then VY.

I'm glad I wasn't making the decisions because I would've fired Mack several times before 2005. :)

• Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I wanted him gone, plain and simple. Add in the shutout loss to OU the following year AND falling behind OkState 35-7 in the first half in Austin and it was done. Then VY.

your memory, however, needs to be recalibrated

Vince's last loss was ou.  The Okie Lite game we are talking about was 4 weeks later.  

Oki Lite got 2 VY INT's that '04 game. The defense was getting torched because they couldnt tackle and forgot 4th & 1 doesnt always mean a run up the dead middle (sound familiar) and Freshman Killebrew was doing  Killebrew things on 3rd and long and a QB throwing the ball away while running along the sideline.

yeah we were down 35-7 in the first half, but that score lasted 1 min 15 seconds. we finished the half at 14-35. thats a big diff.   Vince and Cedric both calmed down, VY stopped throwing stupid shit, and the defense remembered to wrap up and thats how we rolled off 7 straight TD's to end the game.  

The next week was FatGino and his BBBBBBB  BCS rant game where his team couldnt stop VY on 4th and 17. 

then we doubled up aggy to finish the regular season and VY decided he liked Pasadena a few weeks later..

2 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

Dude, tons of people wanted Mack gone in 2003, and they were mostly right to think so. Mack hired Gerg and Tomey, the defense got stout, Vince Young told GDGD to run Mizzou's offense and we had a good year.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Foosters said:

There was a decent number of Texas fans wanting Mack gone by '03. Repeated record-setting losses to your main rival will do that. I still remember the FireMackBrown.com website that was up and running around that time.

But there was Zan the Fan in Jan 2009.

I think 2 things: 1, Mack would never go out a loser and 2, if Texas gets to the title game, they will seal the deal.

So, my question is this:

Does Mack hang em up if he wins it all next year?

and....

Is it worth losing a game/the title if it means Mack would come back?

http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/26212-Does-Mack-walk-if-Texas-wins-it-all-next-year?p=634551&viewfull=1

Narrator: The title game was lost that year and it wasn't worth it.

• Rage+1 1

7 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

your memory, however, needs to be recalibrated

Vince's last loss was ou.  The Okie Lite game we are talking about was 4 weeks later.  

Oki Lite got 2 VY INT's that '04 game. The defense was getting torched because they couldnt tackle and forgot 4th & 1 doesnt always mean a run up the dead middle (sound familiar) and Freshman Killebrew was doing  Killebrew things on 3rd and long and a QB throwing the ball away while running along the sideline.

yeah we were down 35-7 in the first half, but that score lasted 1 min 15 seconds. we finished the half at 14-35. thats a big diff.   Vince and Cedric both calmed down, VY stopped throwing stupid shit, and the defense remembered to wrap up and thats how we rolled off 7 straight TD's to end the game.  

The next week was FatGino and his BBBBBBB  BCS rant game where his team couldnt stop VY on 4th and 17. 

then we doubled up aggy to finish the regular season and VY decided he liked Pasadena a few weeks later..

Isn't that what I said in my second post where I laid out the reasons I was anti-Mack the minute the Holiday Bowl loss to Wazzu was over? I didn't say we lost again after the OU shutout. But it was only a few weeks later that OkSt ran out to a 35-7 first-half lead. I mean, c'mon, there were thousands at DKR that night that were going to burn the stadium down if we got mudholed in that game. But, as you and I both said VY did VY things and the rest is history. What's equally wild is that we were down 28-9 (I think) in the first half at Stillwater the following year before going ballistic in the second half. The combined second-half score of Texas-OkSt games over that three-year period is mind-bottling.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/20/2021 at 2:54 PM, AUS-97HORN said:

Up until kickoff at Camarohead there was talk that this 2003 OU team might be the best team in CFL history (amazing as 2001 Miami was came just 2 years prior).  

It was cold night in Kansas City . . . 

On 10/20/2021 at 4:58 PM, Spider2YBanana said:

Well I guess since we're contributing something, here's mine 

514DF350-DAAB-46EC-8AFE-F24F1FAA9D4C.jpeg

If you are anti-mask, you are not nearly as imaginative as you think you are.