NCAA Hoops 2021-22

shadow_operative

I think Michigan is fucking this up even more by waiting for the B1G's decision. Suspend him for the rest of the season and move on, or just move on from him. Waiting for the B1G to make the decision makes it look like you can't handle your own shit. 

And make sure your punishment is more than what the big 10 will do. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Juicy said:

I always thought it was just a bitch slap or a pimp slap. You southern boys are wild. 

It is.  But it looks like some posters are just itching for the chance to drop a “soft a n-bomb”.

This thread is the first time I’ve ever seen the term.  

Edited by Fudge Nuggets
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Jason Williams take:

Juwon was wrong, but Gard shouldn't have called timeout.  He said it was unusual.

As usual Jason Williamson is wrong.  they got in that position because Howard was pressing in a blowout, with his reserves I suppose.  Gard did nothing wrong or unusual. He called the TO to reset the 10 second clock for his reserves to get the ball across the line. there was 15 seconds left in the game. Here's the video of the last minute.

• Hook 'Em 2

Like I said, Whisky started running clock with 5 minutes left. Michigan showed some urgency for awhile, but they couldn’t hit a three, or really anything.  By the 1 minute mark, Wisconsin came down the court, and Howard let them basically  dribble down the clock.  Gard called a time out and pulled his starters for what was a very emotional day, given the half time (the guy behind me choked up a bit, as he had been an undergrad in the early 90sand it was the first time they had been good)

When Michigan suddenly started playing hard with 30 seconds left, it was super weird. Howard basically mismanaged the end of the game, and instead of owning it, he took it out on Gard.  I don’t think Gard understood how angry Howard was when he tried to talk to him. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

As usual Jason Williamson is wrong.  they got in that position because Howard was pressing in a blowout, with his reserves I suppose.  Gard did nothing wrong or unusual. He called the TO to reset the 10 second clock for his reserves to get the ball across the line. there was 15 seconds left in the game. Here's the video of the last minute.

And in women's college ball, a TO there doesn’t reset the 10 seconds. They have whatever is remaining of the 10 to get it across.

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Like I said, Whisky started running clock with 5 minutes left. Michigan showed some urgency for awhile, but they couldn’t hit a three, or really anything.  By the 1 minute mark, Wisconsin came down the court, and Howard let them basically  dribble down the clock.  Gard called a time out and pulled his starters for what was a very emotional day, given the half time (the guy behind me choked up a bit, as he had been an undergrad in the early 90sand it was the first time they had been good)

When Michigan suddenly started playing hard with 30 seconds left, it was super weird. Howard basically mismanaged the end of the game, and instead of owning it, he took it out on Gard.  I don’t think Gard understood how angry Howard was when he tried to talk to him. 

And like I don’t want to dump this all on Howard but I understand where Gard is coming from.  If a peer of mine thought I wronged him I’d like to explain myself

Yeah, I honestly think Gard wanted to explain his thinking and likely apologize in some way.  He didn’t realize Howard is a rage monster until it was suddenly way too late.  Since Gard is a normal sized human, I’m not surprised the basketball sized UW assistant jumped in with some force.  the Whisky assistant will probably catch a game suspension and a strong talking too, but I’m not sure what he was supposed to do when a 6’7” guy starts manhandling his 5’9” coach. 

Edited by Bateshorn

34 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Yeah, I honestly think Gard wanted to explain his thinking and likely apologize in some way.  He didn’t realize Howard is a rage monster until it was suddenly way too late.  Since Gard is a normal sized human, I’m not surprised the basketball sized UW assistant jumped in with some force.  the Whisky assistant will probably catch a game suspension and a strong talking too, but I’m not sure what he was supposed to do when a 6’7” guy starts manhandling his 5’9” coach. 

certainly wisconsin coaches are gonna see some punishment.  suck it man and the tall assistant for sure.

1 hour ago, Bateshorn said:

someone said Howard had just been T'd up a minute or so earlier.  its not on the video so I guess they cut it out.  He was probably pissed the dude hit the fadeaway 3 in his team's face with under a minute left but the shot clock was at 5 sec so the guy was just throwing it up.

If he's upset about calling a TO to put in reserves/walk-ons, he needs to not be a college coach anymore and should just quit.  go try to be an NBA coach or go to G League.

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

someone said Howard had just been T'd up a minute or so earlier.  its not on the video so I guess they cut it out.  He was probably pissed the dude hit the fadeaway 3 in his team's face with under a minute left but the shot clock was at 5 sec so the guy was just throwing it up.

If he's upset about calling a TO to put in reserves/walk-ons, he needs to not be a college coach anymore and should just quit.  go try to be an NBA coach or go to G League.

The reserves were already in. Howard apparently still had a couple of starters in and they were pressing, and trapping, and Gard called time out to benefit his guys who were in trouble. Howard flat out lied postgame about them not pressing. Howard should have pulled all of his starters and just let everyone run out the clock.

As far as Gard touching Howard “inappropriately,” I’ve watched hundreds of Big Ten basketball games and never perceived that there was some sort of ‘no touching’ rule in the handshake line. Touching is sort of what it’s all about. The notion that Howard felt threatened somehow by Gard and had to defend himself is laughable. Grow up, dude. If Gard touched Howard inappropriately then Howard responded by touching Gard inappropriately, and sticking his finger in Gard’s face.

I figure Howard shoukd be suspended for the rest of the regular season, Gard for one game. Players who threw punches should probably get single game suspensions. I think Terrance Williams should get two. He was pretty deeply involved from the start. Maybe that’s just because of the camera angle. Single game suspensions for any other assistants on either team who were involved in any way other than trying to break things up would be fair. Howard should also have to take some anger management classes because he clearly has some issues.

• Hook 'Em 1

This is the video my son took.  This is after Howard slap/hit the dude.  You can see the pushing and shoving. The Wisconsin cops got involved pretty quick and made the Michigan players get off the court. Howard hung around for a bit, but honestly, I was impressed at the Wisconsin fans for not throwing shit at the Michigan players. I guess I’m more of a degenerate than the midwesterners. 

Edited by Bateshorn

13 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

The reserves were already in. Howard apparently still had a couple of starters in and they were pressing, and trapping, and Gard called time out to benefit his guys who were in trouble. Howard flat out lied postgame about them not pressing. Howard should have pulled all of his starters and just let everyone run out the clock.

As far as Gard touching Howard “inappropriately,” I’ve watched hundreds of Big Ten basketball games and never perceived that there was some sort of ‘no touching’ rule in the handshake line. Touching is sort of what it’s all about. The notion that Howard felt threatened somehow by Gard and had to defend himself is laughable. Grow up, dude. If Gard touched Howard inappropriately then Howard responded by touching Gard inappropriately, and sticking his finger in Gard’s face.

I figure Howard shoukd be suspended for the rest of the regular season, Gard for one game. Players who threw punches should probably get single game suspensions. I think Terrance Williams should get two. He was pretty deeply involved from the start. Maybe that’s just because of the camera angle. Single game suspensions for any other assistants on either team who were involved in any way other than trying to break things up would be fair. Howard should also have to take some anger management classes because he clearly has some issues.

Howard should be done until next season or fired.

3 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Howard is being suspended for the rest of the regular season.

If so, the person who allowed for this IU / Ohio State uniform atrocity should be banned from Big 10 basketball activities for life. Dear lord.

That’s IU’s normal road uni.  I agree Ohio State is off the reservation with that shit.

23 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

yeah, I know.  gard called a TO after the fadeaway 3 at 48 secs to put in the reserves.   michigan scores.  they kind of half ass press( my thought is he wanted them to press but some of the players were confused, why? "the game is over coach") but get a steal at midcourt anyway and score. reserves for wiscy get caught when Michigan starts to press and michigan knocks the ball out.  gard calls the TO(it was a dead ball OOB aready) to reset the 10sec clock. Howard goes bitch and calls for a foul immediately on the inbounds. michigan scores after the FT's and wisconsin inbounds with a second left to end the game.

I think he was pissed about calling a TO to send in reserves, so he pressed, and then got more pissed when the TO was called to reset the clock so he told his team to foul.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Brian Fantana said:

Was shocking looking at Duke's schedule and realizing they hadn't played a ranked team since November.

It's just not a good year for the conference. I think dating back to last year as well. Syracuse needs to have a talk with Jimmy B. about him moving on. Coach K is out after this year, UNC has a first-year coach. Leonard Hamilton is not young, 73-years old now.

It's a conference in transition.

1 minute ago, PittsburghTiger said:

It's just not a good year for the conference. I think dating back to last year as well. Syracuse needs to have a talk with Jimmy B. about him moving on. Coach K is out after this year, UNC has a first-year coach. Leonard Hamilton is not young, 73-years old now.

It's a conference in transition.

Also none of the on and off programs are in the middle of a good stretch. Wake, NC St, FSU, Maryland all down.