2021-2022 Texas Winter Weather Thread

Hate

Well, it is still Winter.  Sometimes Winter means cold temperatures.  Earth is funny like that.  I'm mainly curious about precip later this week for myriad reasons.  

Plus I wanna know exactly how hard we should fucking party that our utilities stayed on in Austin when it got below 40 degrees for 40 minutes.  

Cold comes in at dinner time, sticks around 5 days.

Models are wavering but most of them stay above freezing daytimes.  This could change.  One model has us in the 40's during the days, another 10 degrees colder (none yet say below freezing daytime, and I doubt it'll be, but we'll see by tonight).  <coin flip> but we should know by tonight.  Cold air does have currents and where the coldest drops isn't always even.

Nighttimes won't actually be that bitter due to cloud cover most of this event.  But high 20's for sure, maybe 5-6 hours per day of freezing, above by 11 a.m. or so.

Rain should be mostly rain.  Best chance of light icing, mostly N and W of town, into early Thurs. morning.  Should be rain, and light, around that in ATX and S and E, but yeah, could see a run of sleet or light brief snowflakes.  Highly doubt freezing rain after 2 80°+ days which have made the ground pretty warm.

"Worst" icing if at all N and W of town, and that's right now not much (< .10").

This shouldn't really be a "winter storm" of any proportions (NWS has yet to even issue an advisory, never mind a watch).  I would just see it as a cold spell with some very light rain/sleet/f.r. if any.

Won't really be back as this isn't up to the same level as our last 2 freezing events, unless cold is pushed colder and rain rainy-er.

Edited by phdhorn

As I've posted above, my #1 go to guy now is Zack Shields @ Ch. 7 (weekday morning met).  Here's his latest graphic FYI:

image.png.1e6878691e802ffaabdc88d58f82724e.png

He's got light freezing in town overnight Thu and Fri (subtract about 3-4 degrees for suburbs), but nothing of any concern at all.  I think it could get a little colder than that (models often underestimate cold) but he's usually pretty accurate with this stuff.  Good ballpark I think.

Edited by phdhorn

I'm glad to see overnight lows won't be too bad.  I was thinking about two weeks ago with all the plants that had to get moved into the garage (Succulents and stuff) but not this time.  I have some tomato/pepper transplants that have not made it into the ground, yet, so I'll just put'em under a light in the garage.  Otherwise just looks like weather that is ripe for tons of complaints, especially during the Saturday baseball game dammit.

6 hours ago, phdhorn said:

As I've posted above, my #1 go to guy now is Zack Shields @ Ch. 7 (weekday morning met).  Here's his latest graphic FYI:

image.png.1e6878691e802ffaabdc88d58f82724e.png

He's got light freezing in town overnight Thu and Fri (subtract about 3-4 degrees for suburbs), but nothing of any concern at all.  I think it could get a little colder than that (models often underestimate cold) but he's usually pretty accurate with this stuff.  Good ballpark I think.

I like Shields as well. 

18 hours ago, Stringer said:

Am I crazy or has it been windy as shit this winter?

Windy as fuck.  Went to track meet last Thursday evening.  Temps were in the low 50s and dropped to mid 40s while there.  Walking back to the car at the end, there were 20-30 mph steady winds if not 30-40 and up... most miserable I have ever been in cooler-cold weather.  There was not at thing block it either.

Back in January, as I was getting over what I assume was flu\RSV\cedar fever\corona***, wind gust blew my weber grill off the back porch.  (***I mention that because I thought I was going to die getting that sumbitch back on the porch)  It can be a bit of wind tunnel on my back porch but its still takes a lot to push that thing around.  I have had to retrieve once before in August of 2020 and that was because of microburst\tornadic conditions.

Came down to Columbia, SC for a meeting tomorrow and flight home to DFW tomorrow night just got canceled. Not sure if weather related or something else but I’m not going to fuck around with trying to get home tomorrow. 

first time in my life I’ve packed light in my work backpack and I get stuck. Life lesson…

Interdasting... fastest/farthest recorded temperature drop in Austin's recorded history, from KXAN:

Austin’s current record for the largest 24-hour temperature swing stands at 51 degrees set in 1994 when temperatures dropped from 82 degrees to 31 degrees.

As of 8:30AM, the temperature dropped to 35 degrees in Austin, 54 degrees colder than yesterday’s 2PM temperature of 88 degrees. A new record.

TEMP-SWING.jpg?resize=790,492

• Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Interdasting... fastest/farthest recorded temperature drop in Austin's recorded history, from KXAN:

Austin’s current record for the largest 24-hour temperature swing stands at 51 degrees set in 1994 when temperatures dropped from 82 degrees to 31 degrees.

As of 8:30AM, the temperature dropped to 35 degrees in Austin, 54 degrees colder than yesterday’s 2PM temperature of 88 degrees. A new record.

TEMP-SWING.jpg?resize=790,492

Yay Us GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

One other quick update for ATX:

Driving:
Basically if there are going to be driving problems in the ATX region, it'll be briefly overnight tonight and tomorrow.  Rain is expected to pick up a bit this p.m. into near dawn (off/on) and anything that falls during this period might freeze (or fall frozen).  But it'll take awhile for the roads (except bridges) to freeze as it's been so warm.  Thurs. the temp will get above freezing by say 10-noon, so most of the problems will be morning rush, and very scattered.  Of course, the farther N or W you go, more problems (Advisories for Hill Country counties and north, none (yet, anyway) in WillTravHaysCo).  Freezing picks up again Thurs. evening and temps hit freezing in most spots overnight, again until mid-morning Fri., when the entire thing is gone for a day until the next one moves in (but temps will increasingly be warmer through this).

So, nutshell:  watch driving tonight late/Thurs early, Thurs late/Friday early, then probably outta here.  The more N/W you are, the bigger risk.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

Windy as fuck.  Went to track meet last Thursday evening.  Temps were in the low 50s and dropped to mid 40s while there.  Walking back to the car at the end, there were 20-30 mph steady winds if not 30-40 and up... most miserable I have ever been in cooler-cold weather.  There was not at thing block it either.

Cedar Ridge?  That weather was not good.  My son was almost a full second off his PR in the 100 m, the conditions just sucked.

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

One other quick update for ATX:

Driving:
Basically if there are going to be driving problems in the ATX region, it'll be briefly overnight tonight and tomorrow.  Rain is expected to pick up a bit this p.m. into near dawn (off/on) and anything that falls during this period might freeze (or fall frozen).  But it'll take awhile for the roads (except bridges) to freeze as it's been so warm.  Thurs. the temp will get above freezing by say 10-noon, so most of the problems will be morning rush, and very scattered.  Of course, the farther N or W you go, more problems (Advisories for Hill Country counties and north, none (yet, anyway) in WillTravHaysCo).  Freezing picks up again Thurs. evening and temps hit freezing in most spots overnight, again until mid-morning Fri., when the entire thing is gone for a day until the next one moves in (but temps will increasingly be warmer through this).

So, nutshell:  watch driving tonight late/Thurs early, Thurs late/Friday early, then probably outta here.  The more N/W you are, the bigger risk.

So you are saying I can go swimming in the San Marcos river? 

18 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Cedar Ridge?  That weather was not good.  My son was almost a full second off his PR in the 100 m, the conditions just sucked.

Kyle.  Granddaughter ran her slowest time ever by 3-4 seconds in the 100 meter hurdles.   

Thankfully tomorrow's schedule meet in Buda has been called off.

3 hours ago, Homercles said:

My kiddos go to RRISD, so far no mention of potential issues.  Fingers crossed the roads are warm enough, unlike the vocal Facebook folks I don’t want school canceled every time there MAY be a light freeze.  

RRISD delaying classes but not cancelling. 

3 minutes ago, boknowstecmo said:

Saturday's Austin FC opener will also suck.

Yep.  Am taking my kiddo and her two roommates.  I'm thinking we'll all need to fuel up in the beer hall first.  Fortunately, they are coming here from Canada, so they'll just bring their regular "we're walking outside" gear.  Woulda been a lot nicer if we had Monday's weather for this game.

• Haha 1

i have a daughter/granddaughter flying into DFW from Philly tomorrow for a national cheerleading competition this weekend. 

or rather...i had a granddaughter flying in. flight's cancelled and options range from 'terrible' to 'fuck no' (8 hour overnight layover somewhere). 

best case right now they just reschedule the whole thing...but i don't see that happening. i've seen those cheerleading shows...i'm sure the competition is proceeding weather be damned. 

hooboy...i'm afraid this is gonna be a tough lesson for an 11 year old ☹️