Apple Pie

tx 3 putt

Apple Pie  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Cheddar or no Cheddar ?

• yes
    • hell no !

13 minutes ago, Bill Brasky said:

it is almost as bad as people that put potato salad in their gumbo.   fucking savages.   

I had this at French quarter fest in new Orleans probably 15 years ago and it was actually really good.  Thought it sounded weird too at first, but the hot/cold combo and the flavors really came together well.

this topic has taken over the family holiday thread. what are your thoughts ?

My thoughts:

Royer’s Cafe in Round Top makes the best apple pie on Earth, and second place isn’t even close.

I don’t get the cheese thing, since pie MUST have a scoop of ice cream and there’s no way that works with a melted slice of cheese.
  • Hook 'Em 3

My thoughts:

Royer’s Cafe in Round Top makes the best apple pie on Earth, and second place isn’t even close.

I don’t get the cheese thing, since pie MUST have a scoop of ice cream and there’s no way that works with a melted slice of cheese.

They have great pies. One of their kids was baptized in our pool. Unrelated to the pie discussion.

I have had cheddar on apple pie a couple of times. The first time was at some place with my dad when I was 13 or so. I was skeptical, but ok I'll try it. It was good. I don't go out of my way to get the block out of the fridge if there's a pie, but I won't send it back if it's presented to me.

I don't give a damn about pumpkin pie. Gimme the apple.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, scottsins said:

My thoughts:

My wing of the family has been tasked to provide the pies for Thanksgiving. I’ll be paying JB a visit pretty soon. 

11 hours ago, davidg said:

Warm apple  pie and homemade vanilla ice cream. Any other variation is a travesty.

Here’s the last apple pie my mom made for me.  I had carried dad over to the farm and spent the night and when we got back the next evening she had this made.   Her (fuck) cancer was in remission at that point and was feeling pretty for the first time in months.  A big ass slice of pie into the bowl and a couple of scoops of ice cream on top.   Damn it was good.  RIP mom, miss you a bunch.

8A647EED-35A2-41A6-A025-74C409AF40FC.jpeg

I am of the opinion that apple pie a la mode is the bestest pie in the whole wide fucking world. 

Cheddar on an apple pie is acceptable, but not the preferred mode of delivery, and it’s gotta be sharp as shit, and high quality.

17 hours ago, scottsins said:

My thoughts:

Oh my friend, you are wrong. You can put a scoop of vanilla right on top of the melted cheddar. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

For real?  I was one of the doubters in the original discussion, but when Tom Joad’s chef friend confirmed things, I’ve been thinking about it. My assumption was that the cheese replaced ice cream. 

I'm telling you, I WON'T eat apple pie without some melted cheddar, its just not as good...like a burger with no cheese. 

The ice cream is just an enhancement, and it works with cheese. 

Just now, LW Goatman said:

I'm telling you, I WON'T eat apple pie without some melted cheddar, its just not as good...like a burger with no cheese. 

The ice cream is just an enhancement, and it works with cheese. 

Well goddamn if you don’t have me intrigued. I too consider a hamburger a waste of meat without cheese.