adjective

sac·ro·sanct ˈsa-krō-ˌsaŋ(k)t 

: most sacred or holy : INVIOLABLE

: treated as if holy : immune from criticism or violation

I like this one better. 

sac·ro·sanct

/ˈsakrōˌsaNG(k)t,ˈsakrōˌsaNGk(t)/

adjective
  1. (especially of a principle, place, or routine) regarded as too important or valuable to be interfered with.
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Not true. But it does make me hard af knowing no matter what you do, how much money you donate, or who you vote for, the only changes to my sacrosanct hobby will be it might get even less restrictive. 

Pea dick’s cum bubble bursts, and a maggot crawls off, one day to become a pro gun water-head. /Bill Hicks approximately 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The copyright on that was 2009 and you can find a few message board comments on it from back then, gee I wonder what happened in 2009 that could have prompted Ruger to roll out a “hard r line”…

Edited by Covri

21 minutes ago, Covri said:

The copyright on that was 2009 and you can find a few message board comments on it from back then, gee I wonder what happened in 2009 that could have prompted Rutgers to roll out a “hard r line”…

A decent argument can be made that Obama really did break this country.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

You guys are going to love this!

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/10/us/guns-disposal-recycling.html

When Flint, Mich., announced in September that 68 assault weapons collected in a gun buyback would be incinerated, the city cited its policy of never reselling firearms.

“Gun violence continues to cause enormous grief and trauma,” said Mayor Sheldon Neeley. “I will not allow our city government to profit from our community’s pain by reselling weapons that can be turned against Flint residents.”

But Flint’s guns were not going to be melted down. Instead, they made their way to a private company that has collected millions of dollars taking firearms from police agencies, destroying a single piece of each weapon stamped with the serial number and selling the rest as nearly complete gun kits. Buyers online can easily replace what’s missing and reconstitute the weapon.

Hundreds of towns and cities have turned to a growing industry that offers to destroy guns used in crimes, surrendered in buybacks or replaced by police force upgrades. But these communities are in fact fueling a secondary arms market, where weapons slated for destruction are recycled into civilian hands, often with no background check required, according to interviews and a review of gun disposal contracts, patent records and online listings for firearms parts.

Some public officials and gun safety advocates said they had no clue this was happening. The Rev. Chris Yaw, whose Episcopal church outside Detroit has sponsored buybacks with local officials, said in an interview that he was “aghast and appalled” when told by a reporter how the process works.

“It tells me that our society is set up really well for buying and selling guns,” he said, “but it’s not set up very well for disposing of them.”

Seized firearms arrayed on a light gray surface, each with a tag and atop a brown paper envelope with writing on the outside. Guns seized or recovered by the police in Flint, Mich., displayed in 2020.Credit...Jake May/The Flint Journal, via Associated Press

This examination of the gun disposal industry reveals a hidden aspect of the government’s role in promoting the proliferation of guns and a gun culture that has divided the country. The New York Times has previously reported how federal officials and legislators have facilitated the spread of ammunition and favorable laws.

The industry relies on contracts with public agencies at the local, state and federal levels, and is subsidized by tax dollars and charitable donations that pay for buybacks. Governments arguably could be seen as complicit in bad outcomes — if a recycled assault weapon from Flint, for example, was later used in a deadly shooting — but it would be difficult to even know that: The salvaged gun parts typically would not include a serial number that could be traced.

A Missouri business called Gunbusters, which patented a “firearms pulverizer,” was responsible for dealing with the Flint weapons. The company says it has taken in more than 200,000 firearms over the past decade from about 950 police agencies around the country, from Baton Rouge, La., to St. Louis to Hartford, Vt.

At least a half-dozen other firms do similar work. LSC Destruction of Nevada says it has disposed of guns for police departments in Minneapolis and San Antonio, while New England Ballistic Services of Massachusetts has worked with Boston and towns in Rhode Island.

Gun auction websites have thousands of listings for parts kits, and even complete firearms, offered by firms that contrac with law enforcement agencies to handle disposals. Gunbusters and its five licensees across the country, for example, recently averaged more than $90,000 a week in combined online sales of hundreds of disassembled guns from government clients.

This little-known but profitable corner of the firearms economy exists because the approved method of destroying a gun contains a loophole that has been exploited.

The Rev. Chris Yaw, wearing all black except for an orange scarf, sits in a church pew. The Rev. Chris Yaw, whose Detroit-area church has worked on buybacks, said he was “aghast and appalled” to learn what happens to the collected guns.Credit...Emily Elconin for The New York Times

To be able to say a gun is destroyed, disposal companies crush or cut up a single piece that federal law classifies as a firearm: the receiver or frame that anchors the other components and contains the required serial number. The businesses can then sell the remaining parts as a kit: barrel, trigger, grip, slide, stock, springs — essentially the entire gun, minus the regulated piece.

Police agencies and disposal companies say they are following guidelines set by the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. While the guidelines, posted on the A.T.F. website, show illustrations of whole guns being cut into pieces with an acetylene torch, they also say that an “acceptable method” is to destroy just the receiver or frame.

The companies, for their part, say that if public officials want the whole gun destroyed, they must pay for it.

“Our services are free for law enforcement agencies,” said Scott Reed, president of Gunbusters. “If we can’t cover our costs by selling parts, then we charge them.”

Only about two percent of Gunbusters’ clients pay to have the full firearm destroyed, he said. Federal agencies, including the Secret Service, are among them.

Mr. Reed likened the recycling of parts to “organ donation,” allowing collectors to repair or maintain their firearms: “The people who are happiest with us are those who need parts for old guns that just aren’t made anymore.”

10gunbusters-01-zhqg-mobileMasterAt3x.jp 10gunbusters-03-zhqg-mobileMasterAt3x.jp 10gunbusters-qtmp-mobileMasterAt3x.jpg?a 10gunbusters-04-zhqg-mobileMasterAt3x.jp Some of the parts kits made from firearms sent to Gunbusters for destruction. A background check is usually not required to purchase them.Credit...Gunbusters

But while the parts kits have legitimate uses, they could also further the spread of so-called ghost guns when paired with an untraceable receiver or frame, said Nicholas Suplina, a senior lawyer with Everytown for Gun Safety. The number of do-it-yourself ghost guns turning up in violent crimes has surged, made possible by unfinished components — prefabricated metal pieces that need welding and drilling — that are not serialized, and often do not require a background check when purchased separately.

“These parts kits provide the necessary elements to complete a gun by a person who couldn’t pass a background check,” Mr. Suplina said.

Both Everytown and the Giffords Law Center, another national gun safety group, said they had not realized that “destroyed” firearms were being sold in this way.

In their marketing, gun disposal companies play up their no-cost services, often leaving out the information about parts-selling, which appears in the written contracts. Elected officials rely on their police departments — which typically look to save money — to make the arrangements, and they give perfunctory approval with little or no discussion. In interviews, some officials acknowledged that they had not understood the process, but were reluctant to speak publicly now because they had made inaccurate claims for years about guns supposedly being destroyed.

In Spartanburg, S.C., where a taxpayer-funded buyback in May collected 128 firearms that were given to Gunbusters, local news stories reported that they would be destroyed at no cost to the city. Police Chief Alonzo Thompson said he was aware that Gunbusters sold most of the parts rather than crushing everything, but felt that was acceptable as long as the company complied with A.T.F. regulations.

“But I understand the concerns and those who might feel they’re less than informed,” he said, adding, “My priority is to remove these guns from our community.”

Flint, like other Michigan municipalities, transfers its unwanted firearms to the state police for destruction. What Flint officials did not know was that the Michigan State Police was Gunbusters’ biggest client.

“The city was unaware that weapons were not being incinerated,” Flint officials said in a statement when told by a reporter about the company’s destruction method, adding that they would seek to clarify the disposal arrangement.

A gloved hand places a gun component into a boxy white metal contraption stamped “American Pulverizer Company” and “Gunbusters.” Gunbusters says it has taken in more than 200,000 firearms over the past decade from about 950 police agencies.Credit...Neeta Satam for The New York Times
Red vs. Blue

The disposal of unwanted guns has emerged as yet another front in America’s culture wars.

Red state lawmakers have pushed to prohibit law enforcement agencies from destroying firearms in their inventories, while also discouraging gun buybacks, calling them ineffective and a waste of money. At least nine states have laws mandating that the police sell seized guns or trade in their own when buying new ones. Gunbroker, the largest online firearms marketplace, lists hundreds of former police service weapons for sale.

At the same time, officials in mostly blue cities have stopped police departments from selling or trading in old or confiscated weapons, pointing to cases where the firearms resurfaced in crimes. They have also embraced buybacks, using tax dollars and charitable donations to pay citizens to turn in firearms.

Amid the rancor, entrepreneurs large and small have found a way to profit.

Jeff McCabe, a house painter with a firearms license in Orange County, Calif., started a side business, California Gun Services, to resell weapons. His buyback website says its goal is “to limit the number of cheap, dangerous or unwanted guns in our local community” by destroying them — unless they have historical “or significant monetary value.”

Mr. McCabe said that navigating the politicized environment around guns can be challenging. On one hand, he said, “there’s those, ‘You can pry it out of my dead cold hands’ Republicans,” and on the other, “there’s the liberals who think nobody should ever own a firearm.”

“I’m trying to be somewhere in the middle,” he added.

Other businesses deal only with law enforcement agencies. Gunbusters, the biggest of them, was established a decade ago by a retired St. Louis police officer. The company’s “pulverizer” crushes a firearm and videotapes the process so the police have a record.

• Rage+1 2

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I googled Gunbusters.  It seems they might be having some problems:

File not found (404 error)

I think you were on Nutbusters, as per usual.  And yes, they're always down for maintenance on Monday mornings for obvious reasons.

Yeah dude, upgrade your security system. There's a coin flip's chance that dude shows up on your doorstep with the same gun one of these days if he thinks the ex is there.

Within his rights as a Texan, of course.

Edited by aggie08
  • Like 5
  • Rage+1 1

Y'all are gonna love this story. One of my wife's friends has been staying with us off-and-on over the past 3-4 months as she extricates herself from a bad marriage. (Her husband is a decent enough former aggy Corps guy albeit a little on the strange side but he's got permanent brain damage from alcohol abuse that only became apparent just before their wedding. He's since fallen off the wagon in a big way, has taken two trips to rehab in the last 13 months, neither successful, as well as a drunken wreck in the neighborhood where he miraculously avoided a DWI. He's recently lost his sweet job with Morgan Stanley and is completely off the rails. I doubt he sees his 50th birthday. I think he's 47 or 48 now. He's got brain encephalopathy, etc.)
At any rate, he wants to cook dinner for our friend last night. He's had a string of good sober days in a row and planned to go to a sober living situation tomorrow. Our friend suspects he's been drinking by his texts but goes over there anyway. Immediately after arriving, she knows he's drunk, does a 180 and leaves. He gets pissed and starts blowing up her phone with calls and texts. At one point, he says he's going to Uber to a pawn shop to buy a gun and shoot himself in the head. Friend calls Dallas PD to do a wellness check after he sends a picture of some countertop with a Ruger pistol case on it. (Turns out he was at Academy.) Cops go by and he's not there.
FF to late in the evening and he calls me while I was showering for bed and follows up with four texts. Says he can't get ahold of her and asks me if I can just drop her by for a few mins so they can discuss something involving insurance. It's midnight, mind you. Not a fucking chance I'm doing that and I tell her. She again calls DPD, who goes by again. They wind up kicking in the back door and determine that he's fired at least one round inside the house and then jammed the gun by loading the clip/magazine backward.
They take the gun and our friend's husband for a 72-hour psych hold at Parkland. However, they say he's free to retrieve the gun when he gets out of there and is 'normal' again.
Long story short -- inebriated/troubled guy drives to Academy and purchases a handgun, which he brings home and discharges in his home all within a few hours. No telling what he's capable of in his agitated state, especially now that he seems to be realizing there's really zero chance our friend decides to go back to being his wife.

Why do you hate the second amendment and America and patriots and freedom and eagles? That’s how America works by design, man!
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

They take the gun and our friend's husband for a 72-hour psych hold at Parkland. However, they say he's free to retrieve the gun when he gets out of there and is 'normal' again.

I’m sad to say that I was pleasantly surprised under the circumstances that  they took the gun and put him in the hold.  

4 hours ago, locodos said:

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Y'all are gonna love this story. One of my wife's friends has been staying with us off-and-on over the past 3-4 months as she extricates herself from a bad marriage. (Her husband is a decent enough former aggy Corps guy albeit a little on the strange side but he's got permanent brain damage from alcohol abuse that only became apparent just before their wedding. He's since fallen off the wagon in a big way, has taken two trips to rehab in the last 13 months, neither successful, as well as a drunken wreck in the neighborhood where he miraculously avoided a DWI. He's recently lost his sweet job with Morgan Stanley and is completely off the rails. I doubt he sees his 50th birthday. I think he's 47 or 48 now. He's got brain encephalopathy, etc.)

At any rate, he wants to cook dinner for our friend last night. He's had a string of good sober days in a row and planned to go to a sober living situation tomorrow. Our friend suspects he's been drinking by his texts but goes over there anyway. Immediately after arriving, she knows he's drunk, does a 180 and leaves. He gets pissed and starts blowing up her phone with calls and texts. At one point, he says he's going to Uber to a pawn shop to buy a gun and shoot himself in the head. Friend calls Dallas PD to do a wellness check after he sends a picture of some countertop with a Ruger pistol case on it. (Turns out he was at Academy.) Cops go by and he's not there.

FF to late in the evening and he calls me while I was showering for bed and follows up with four texts. Says he can't get ahold of her and asks me if I can just drop her by for a few mins so they can discuss something involving insurance. It's midnight, mind you. Not a fucking chance I'm doing that and I tell her. She again calls DPD, who goes by again. They wind up kicking in the back door and determine that he's fired at least one round inside the house and then jammed the gun by loading the clip/magazine backward.

Long story short -- inebriated/troubled guy drives to Academy and purchases a handgun, which he brings home and discharges in his home all within a few hours. No telling what he's capable of in his agitated state, especially now that he seems to be realizing there's really zero chance our friend decides to go back to being his wife.

i did not, in fact, love either of these stories.

i think of other posters literally bragging about getting hard for their guns...

my god we are a sick fucking country. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, mchookem said:

i think of other posters literally bragging about getting hard for their guns...

There is a positive to this though. My wife and I might get to use his lower-level Stars tickets for tonight's Red Wings game at AAC, you know since he's in involuntary lockup and all.

BTW, he called and left a VM for his wife that we listened to this morning. He doesn't have shoes, his phone, keys or wallet. DPD busted in the front door and walked five strong, one behind the other, behind bulletproof shields down his hallway while calling his name early this AM. The gun was on the coffee table. He wasn't very happy how this all went down but don't go and buy guns in the middle of the night and threaten to shoot yourself or perhaps others when you're not making good decisions. Oh, and when trying to tell his wife where she could drop some of his things off he said a cart went by his room and he said I'm in "Room number jail, that's J-A-I-L, hospital jail." I laughed pretty hard at that. (Narrator: He's not allowed any personal items in hospital jail.")

Edited by C-Man

4 hours ago, mchookem said:

Season 4 What GIF by The Office

On 12/11/2023 at 11:48 AM, C-Man said:

I read through this and couldn’t help but think that the guy who drives drunk and can’t hold a job and manipulates loved ones by threatening to commit suicide and discharges firearms in the house might not be a decent enough guy. 

• Hook 'Em 2

But the person who sold the .45 to James was under no obligation to see if he was in NICS because it was a private transaction. The seller said James presented “appropriate identification,” APD said.

State lawmakers mulled changing the law just a few years ago.

In 2019, after the mass shootings in Midland and El Paso, Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick said it was time to require background checks for stranger-to-stranger sales. That support seemed to have quickly waffled, and by 2021, Patrick no longer explicitly supported the idea.

Nicole Golden, the executive director of gun safety group Texas Gun Sense, said it makes sense that James would go through a private seller to avoid scrutiny. The decision not to require background checks for all sales, she said, allows “individuals with documented dangerous histories to easily access firearms.”

Sheriff Salazar said James should have been barred from purchasing a weapon.

https://www.kut.org/crime-justice/2023-12-13/alleged-texas-mass-shooter-shane-james-criminal-history-mental-illness

2 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I read through this and couldn’t help but think that the guy who drives drunk and can’t hold a job and manipulates loved ones by threatening to commit suicide and discharges firearms in the house might not be a decent enough guy. 

He seemed like a decent enough guy at one point. His body and brain have been fried by years and years of addiction. I'm not sure he's ever had a firearm in his hands because the cops apparently told his wife that he apparently had no real clue as to how to handle the pistol he'd just bought.

Update to this story -- he was transferred from Parkland to a different mental health facility in Plano. A judge has issued an order that he remain there for at least a week, perhaps longer.

They have swag too.  Just in time for Christmas.     Spread the word and look good doing it | Mothers for Democracy 

Mothers for Democracy is Mothers Against Greg Abbott, but now expanding to a more national level.  They are doing all kinds of awesome work for candidates across the state and are working hard with all sizes of counties.   Please support this group.  They are truly grassroots and not full of a lot of politicos in it to make a living and/or pad a resume.  

They also have a sister organization that presents a podcast, and they have just started.  The podcasts were targeting the voucher scam and obviously M4D is pushing Gun Reform.   They have already endorsed Roland Gutierrez for Senate and I encourage you to check him out.  He's real.  

unisex-staple-t-shirt-navy-front-657a368387101-600x600.jpgunisex-premium-hoodie-white-front-657a9dd038eeb-600x600.jpgunisex-staple-t-shirt-white-front-657a98dcb63d4-600x600.jpgwhite-glossy-mug-white-20-oz-front-view-657aa5b40a685-600x600.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

This is extremely surprising.

The Supreme Court refuses to block an Illinois law banning some high-power semiautomatic weapons.

The Supreme Court on Thursday declined to put on hold a new Illinois law that would ban high-power semiautomatic weapons like the one used in the mass killing of seven people at a 2022 parade in a Chicago suburb.

The justices did not comment in refusing an emergency appeal from a gun rights group and others.

The law prohibits the possession, manufacture or sale of semiautomatic rifles and high-capacity magazines. It takes effect Jan. 1.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

Remember the guy who stabbed his family and then killed the SWAT officer a couple of months ago? Turns out the guy had body armor and an AR. APD released the body cam footage from the initial contact with him before they called SWAT in. (Say they won't release the rest of it because it shows private spaces inside a home?)

Fast forward to about 3:15 to see what it's like to be met with semi-automatic rifle fire. 

The latest news is 15 people killed in Prague by a shooter at the Philosophy Faculty of Charles University. 24 injured.  The shooter owned some weapons legally, Czech Republic has some of the most permissive firearms laws in Europe. 

He wrote a manifesto in Russian on telegram stating that he was inspired by a Russian school shooter. 

The police confirmed on Thursday afternoon that David Kozák is the writer of the channel on Telegram, which was created on December 9 under his name. He added contributions to it in the alphabet. In them, he wrote that the profile would be his diary and that he wanted to commit a school shooting, possibly even suicide. A day later, he added that he was inspired by Alina Afanaskina. But according to him, she didn't kill enough people, which he will try to fix. He was referring to the Russian schoolgirl Alina Afanaskinova, the perpetrator of the mass shooting at the Bryansk school, in which two people died and others were injured on December 7. She then committed suicide herself. Even in the following post, the author referred to Afanaskinová - he wrote that she helped him a lot. According to the post, he always wanted to kill. He stated that mass murders are preferable to serial killings. The following posts then describe his relationship to the world. He says he hates everyone and everyone hates him. He planned to leave as much pain as possible. At least fifteen people were directly killed in Thursday's attack, with one person said to have died after falling from a building while trying to take cover. The Cossack then killed himself. According to the interviewed expert, who did not want to be named, Kozák had a military passport and was a customer of a Prague arms store.

https://www.seznamzpravy.cz/clanek/domaci-zivot-v-cesku-ze-chce-zabijet-psal-na-telegramu-kdo-je-strelec-z-filozoficke-fakulty-242319?_si=NTFmYTlwazBoNw%3D%3D&_ho=Ng%3D%3D&_zn=aWQlM0Q5NzUwMjA1NDIzMjcwMTcyODkzJTdDdCUzRDE3MDMxNzkzNDMuMDY3JTdDdGUlM0QxNzAzMTc5MzQzLjA2NyU3Q2MlM0Q4M0M2QzcyNDI1QzQ4MjhBNUZGNTQ3N0NFRDBFNEJENw%3D%3D&_st=MTcwMzE3OTMzNTIwNA%3D%3D&_ts=JTdCJTIyaW5pdCUyMiUzQTElMkMlMjJ0Y2xvYWRlZCUyMiUzQW51bGwlMkMlMjJjbXB1aXNob3duJTIyJTNBbnVsbCUyQyUyMnVzZXJhY3Rpb25jb21wbGV0ZSUyMiUzQTElN0Q%3D&_tc=Q1AzSXdBQVAzSXdBQUQzQUNCRU5BZ0VzQVBfZ0FFUGdBQVRJSlZ3UVFBQXdBS0FBc0FDQUFGUUFMZ0FaQUE2QUNBQUZBQUtnQVdnQXlBQm9BRG1BSWdBaWdCSEFDU0FFd0FKd0FWUUF0Z0JmZ0RDQU1VQWdBQ0VnRVFBUlFBam9CT0FFNkFMNEFhUUE0Z0IzQUR4QUg2QVFnQWt3Qk9BQ2VnRklBS3lBV1lBdW9CZ1FEVGdHMEFQa0FqVUJIUUNhUUUyZ0owQVZJQXRRQmJnQzh3R01nTWtBWmNBMG9CcVlEdWdIZmdRSEFoY0JHWUNWWUlYUUlvQUZBQVdBQlVBQzRBSUFBWkFBMEFDSUFFY0FKZ0FWUUF0Z0JpQUQ4QUlTQVJBQkVnQ09BRTRBTXNBWm9BN2dCLWdFSUFJc0FYVUEyZ0NiUUZTQUxVQVc0QXZNQmdnREpBR3BnUXVBQUFBQS5ZQUFBQUFBQUFBQUE%3D

52 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

The latest news is 15 people killed in Prague by a shooter at the Philosophy Faculty of Charles University. 24 injured.  The shooter owned some weapons legally, Czech Republic has some of the most permissive firearms laws in Europe. 

He wrote a manifesto in Russian on telegram stating that he was inspired by a Russian school shooter. 

The Cossack then killed himself. 

Can you explain what they mean here? Are they saying he's from eastern Ukraine or southern Russia or is the AI translating his last name literally?

Btw, you should check out a new mockumentary-style series on Netflix called "1670." It's a Polish comedy that I think you'd get a kick out of.