Tell Me About Texas a&m

MrPhlegm

11 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

"Let's face it, education of students is no longer a primary consideration," Bledsoe said. "That lofty goal has been replaced by a political, anti-Black, anti-Brown and anti-education agenda."

chris colfer GIF

• Hook 'Em 3

• Replies 72.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

The Rudder Association, which describes itself as a collection of Texas A&M students, former students, faculty and staff who are “dedicated Aggies committed to preserving and perpetuating the core values and unique spirit of Texas A&M,” also has acknowledged complaining to school administrators about McElroy’s hiring.

Milk-Truck-300.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

Funny they call themselves "the Rudder Association."  Considering what a collection of directionless cowards who blindly follow bigoted stupidity off the cliff every year in a Sisyphean effort to become nationally relevant in anything, "And this year's the year fellas....whoop!" 

Like a huge chunk of America, they looked around and thought, "Wait, what?  It's finally cool to let our vitriolic hatred for anything different shine outward for all to see?"  And while that has taken a rebooted foothold in this country (sadly) to an extent...being Aggies...they fucked it up.  They're the dipshits who show up to the hate rally to share the like-minded beliefs and value sets as the keynote speaker, and after all the applause and chanting, shout out, "And we're gonna show them by burning down our own sacred institutions from the inside to prove how dangerous those people are to our own sacred institutions, right!?!?!?  Who's with me?!?!?!?"   

• Hook 'Em 4

On 7/19/2023 at 5:36 PM, pyrohornIII said:

I remember this happening, but I don't think it happened in CS.  That game was Home for Rice on the odd years.  Here's a vid on the 73 game that really turned up the heat.   

We should probably have a MOB thread.

think bigger....

let's invite the MOB as the surprise halftime guest for gomer at dkr in 25.....  LHB joins the MOB in full-scatter fire hydrants

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

On 7/20/2023 at 7:38 AM, TrashMaster G said:

#1 aggy... what a weird phrase.

i read that too

and went to look it up

agroid were #1 in the AP poll for 3 weeks in 1957 on 28 October, 4 November and 11 November, the last poll before running out of time at rice in the above video

in the final poll that year they tumbled to 9th

the only other time in the history of the AP poll that aggy were #1 were the last 4 polls of 1939

oh, and aggy were not even ranked in a single poll in the following years:

42, 44 ......

hold a second - a brief aside - gomer claims they were off winning the war while darrel royal was carrying 350 players on scholly ...... ww2 started in '39 and ended in '45

aggy were ranked at some point in 39 40 41 43 and 45, and only 2 years during the war (42 & 44) were they not ranked

SHAME on aggy for playing football during the war!  SHAME aggy!  SHAME!

back to the list of years aggy were not ranked at all in the AP

42 44 46 47 48 49 52 54 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 69 70 71 72 73 80 81 82 83 84 03 08 09 17

conversely, the years we haven't been ranked at all in the AP

36 37 38 39 44 55 56 66 86 87 93 14 15

final score:

weeks #1 in the AP poll, all time

Texas 44

aggy 7

weeks in the top 5 all time is houston-tulsa-68 level punishment

someone else can count it up

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/texas/polls.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/texas-am/polls.html

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

rice beat aggy 7-6 on 16 November 57

the korean armistice was signed 27 July 53

but aggy didn't intregate (wimmens) until '63 !!!!

"Give me a handful of aggy and I'll keep Chairman Mao on his side of the line." - Dwight Fuckin Eisenhower

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

“Apparently, no one knows who made the offer, no one knows how many offers were made, nobody knows who signed which offer, and nobody knows who read or wrote those offers,” said Raymundo Arróyave, an engineering professor. “Frankly, we look incompetent.”

Texags-Gold-Q.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, wood said:

McElroy already telegraphed the upcoming lawsuit a couple days ago when she said she had been damaged by aggy's recruitment process, and that it was race-based. She's going in dry, with sandpaper, as well she should. 

Gonna be entertaining. Get your popcorn ready.

Would be awesome if she hired Tony Buzbee. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Drool 1

10 hours ago, wood said:

McElroy already telegraphed the upcoming lawsuit a couple days ago when she said she had been damaged by aggy's recruitment process, and that it was race-based. She's going in dry, with sandpaper, as well she should. 

Gonna be entertaining. Get your popcorn ready.

Can aggy pull the sovereign immunity card in a lawsuit?

29 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Can aggy pull the sovereign immunity card in a lawsuit?

Other law dogs can weigh in, but the immunity defense asserted by Tech in the Mike Leach case was based on a contract to which sovereign immunity generally applies.  McElroy never had a contract with aggy, and I'm guessing that she would assert a 1983 claim.  I don't know if she'd ultimately prevail on the merits of that claim (Fifth Circuit narrator:  "She won't"), but I don't think aggy will have an easy out with immunity. 

• Like 1

On 7/21/2023 at 9:20 AM, Evil Bill Obrien said:

image.thumb.png.8606bb261ee5eec45e69f65c4dc0e214.png

I had to google to confirm this was an actual thing at aggy and not a joke.

They are using state dollars to "teach" this useless crap.  That's money that's not available to other universities that actually, you know, educate their students.  The damage that aggy does to higher education in this state is unreal.

Also apparently when you are an idiot redneck you have to wear a hard hat to look at pieces of meat.  Odd grocery stores don't have the same rules.  I guess that says something about the ability of your average stocker at HEB vs. your average aggy "student"

• Haha 1

Next time some rural "old school" Texan tells you that colleges in this state waste money on worthless classes in shit like History, Literature, and Humanities.  Remind them how much "we" spend on meat judging and figuring out ways to get animals to pork each other.  

i will give them meat judging

There are 21000 companies in the $750 billion food processing industry worth $2 trillion globally (yes we the US consume 37% of all processed food)

someone has to go on the front line of industrial slaughterhouses

https://catalog.tamu.edu/undergraduate/agriculture-life-sciences/food-science-and-technology/food-science-technology-food-industry-bs-option/

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Next time some rural "old school" Texan tells you that colleges in this state waste money on worthless classes in shit like History, Literature, and Humanities.  Remind them how much "we" spend on meat judging and figuring out ways to get animals to pork each other.  

Don't forget other super high end classes in the Ag school like "Put seed in ground, make big plant 301 ", "Cut plant, take to market", and of course "Use Fence Keep Animal Where you Want 505."

Food is important, sure, but there shouldn't be a state funded school vaporizing money for 4 year degrees that are just common sense.

• Haha 1

I know processed meats and BigAg are massive industries.  But most of what they're teaching in these programs at A&M could just as easily, and more effectively, be taught in myriad ag/livestock/processing plant hubs around the state with a certificate program-styled model.  No need for 120 hours over 5 years at a massive university with cumbersome G&A overhead and administrative bloat.  

I mean, yeah between a chicken plant supervisor with a college degree and one that learned on the job as an apprentice, society is better off with the one with both a technical skill and a well-rounded education.  Problem with A&M is they somehow manage to produce graduates who have the technical skills, but somehow regress in terms of critical thinking and original thought over their 4-6 years in College Station.  It's really quite remarkable.  They become wholistic dummies by having attended.  I don't get it.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I know processed meats and BigAg are massive industries.  But most of what they're teaching in these programs at A&M could just as easily, and more effectively, be taught in myriad ag/livestock/processing plant hubs around the state with a certificate program-styled model.  No need for 120 hours over 5 years at a massive university with cumbersome G&A overhead and administrative bloat.  

I mean, yeah between a chicken plant supervisor with a college degree and one that learned on the job as an apprentice, society is better off with the one with both a technical skill and a well-rounded education.  Problem with A&M is they somehow manage to produce graduates who have the technical skills, but somehow regress in terms of critical thinking and original thought over their 4-6 years in College Station.  It's really quite remarkable.  They become wholistic dummies by having attended.  I don't get it.  

I couldn't agree more.  In all honesty you don't even need a certificate type system.  99.9% of what's taught in the food science/ag science schools is just "don't be dumb".

Meat Science - for example - should be like 1 hour of training: standard restaurant food safety training, how to make the cuts, and how to detect anything that's rotten.

There it is.  I literally just condensed a 4 year degree in to a FREAKING LINE OF TEXT.  Granted the average redneck farmer in the US is probably going to have an IQ of like 10 so it might take reading that line a few times, but the point still stands.

2 hours ago, ermahgerdhorn said:

Don't forget other super high end classes in the Ag school like "Put seed in ground, make big plant 301 ", "Cut plant, take to market", and of course "Use Fence Keep Animal Where you Want 505."

Food is important, sure, but there shouldn't be a state funded school vaporizing money for 4 year degrees that are just common sense.

Is this serious? Farming -- it's just put a seed in the ground and make a big plant. 

On 7/21/2023 at 2:25 PM, Armybrat said:

aggy competing with real Army at HEB’s gift card rack?

524D4501-F532-4611-9E36-098EFB23572E.jpeg

The process of obtaining an aggy gift card & an aggy acceptance letter are almost identical. The gift card would be worth more than the degree in the end so it's really a no brainer.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CHIEF said:

Not to be a dick, but if you think that all you need to know about meat is if it is rotten or not, I am going to assume you eat Walmart sirloins, well done, with ketchup.

CHIEF

I certainly select and eat good meat but, guess what, I didn't need to be in college for 4 years to learn how to do that.  The other comment about bubba at the bait shop grading sushi is accurate too - these "meat scientists" are the dumbest and the dumb college students and even with 4 years of education they aren't going to be better than bubba in the bait shop.

2 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Is this serious? Farming -- it's just put a seed in the ground and make a big plant. 

It is much more complicated than that.

But the farmers in my family never went to college - they learned the business from their families & neighbors. Am glad my grandpa went a different route and started as a blacksmith like his dad, but quickly got into the rural telephone business then owning an auto repair garage.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

No, but you wouldn't be eating USDA Prime at a relatively inexpensive price. You can bet they have backgrounds in genetics, food safety, feedlot efficiency, cost streamlining, and a myriad of other like classes totaling a mere 36 hours of their major. They have another 90 or so hours in classes like history, foreign language, Wester Civilization, biology, and zoology, to make them an educated, and well-rounded (but delusional) individual. And agriculture majors don't just go for four years to learn to put a seed in the ground to grow a plant. They are genetically engineering different strains of grains, fruits, and vegetables, to be drought and disease resistant, so you don't have to eat that $10 banana that always gets posted on here.

Our ability to feed our nation is our greatest National Security asset. Food is cheaper in the US, when compared to the average consumer expenditure, then anywhere else in the World. 

I'm no aggy fan, but the US is a leading food producer, and a net exporter thanks to the years of research and work put in by our nation'a land grant universities and colleges.

CHIEF

I get it, but I don't trust aggy with our food supply.  Hell, they fucked up ice cream.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

It is much more complicated than that.

But the farmers in my family never went to college - they learned the business from their families & neighbors. Am glad my grandpa went a different route and started as a blacksmith like his dad, but quickly got into the rural telephone business then owning an auto repair garage.

My Grandfather was a Greek immigrant who joined the US Army at the Age of 17 during the WWI era and later worked the shipyards in Aransas Pass as a young man.  Met my Grandmother to be and moved south to what is now north McAllen and became a successful farmer.  Didn’t have one hour of Ag education  from a college much less a college degree.  He did raise one daughter  (My Mom) who went to UT and a son who went to A&M, so he was .500 there.  Lol.  

• Hook 'Em 2

I used to work with a guy whose dad grew sorghum and cotton in Robstown.  He went to UT, and he sent his oldest son to UT.  When my former co-worker was a senior in high school, his dad told him that, while The University was the greatest school in Texas, he (former co-worker) should go to aggy.  He did, and got a degree in Parks and Rec.  He never worked in Parks and Rec, but he knew the shit out of how to grow grass.