• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

17 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Who is terrified of Traylor coaching at ATM? 

I think it is a crapshoot as to whether or not he would work out there, but I think there are guys I'd prefer to see them land, like Swinney or Schumann. 

This. The only name I heard mentioned that would have come close to “terrifying” me was Lanning, but Phil Knight was never going to let that happen. 

Traylor has my attention, but he has never had to assemble a major college coaching staff. I could see the hire going one of several ways, but I could see it going well, and I’d rather they hire someone else. 

6 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

What tier is it then?

Because it's no better than the 7th best job in the new SEC.

Clearly behind Texas, Florida, Georgia, Alabama, LSU, and OU.

It's in the tier with Auburn and Tennessee.

Yup, there are basically 3 tiers:

1) Blue Bloods (8 schools) - perennial contenders

2) Half bloods (about 16 schools) - have a fantastic year once every 5-10 years, maybe contend every once in a while

3) everyone else

aggie falls into #2 only because of their location, money, and rabid fanbase. Their history is shit and their tradition has become an albatross around their neck

15 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

2) Half bloods (about 16 schools) - have a fantastic year once every 5-10 years, maybe contend every once in a while

3) everyone else

aggie falls into #2 only because of their location, money, and rabid fanbase. Their history is shit and their tradition has become an albatross around their neck

Who is the 8th blue blood?  Nebraska?  Because that job is now clearly tier 2 if not 3.

Just catching up on podcasts:
Now Pate is saying those who claim A&M isn’t a tier 1 job are equivalent to flat earthers. 

200.gif

yes I get it, A&M has money, resources, and recruits but that analogy is silly.
My fave analogy is Ford vs Ferrari. Henry Ford Jr wanted a racing pedigree to sell more cars so he spent an amount of money Enzo couldn't match, hired some of the best engineers to work on a single race car, went to Europe and beat Ferrari for a few years in the late 60's.

So Ford cars are equal to or better than Ferrari now? Blueblood status isn't something you can buy by winning over a popular sports talking head.
  • Hook 'Em 6

2 hours ago, Chili dog said:

This. The only name I heard mentioned that would have come close to “terrifying” me was Lanning, but Phil Knight was never going to let that happen. 

Traylor has my attention, but he has never had to assemble a major college coaching staff. I could see the hire going one of several ways, but I could see it going well, and I’d rather they hire someone else. 

I wouldn’t want them to have DeBoer

Traylor could do well there but he’s definitely not scary imo

• Like 1

19 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Who is terrified of Traylor coaching at ATM? 

I think it is a crapshoot as to whether or not he would work out there, but I think there are guys I'd prefer to see them land, like Swinney or Schumann. 

Traylor is UTSA Tom Herman. He will never be successful at a real school.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

48 minutes ago, ousux said:

My fave analogy is Ford vs Ferrari. Henry Ford Jr wanted a racing pedigree to sell more cars so he spent an amount of money Enzo couldn't match, hired some of the best engineers to work on a single race car, went to Europe and beat Ferrari for a few years in the late 60's.

So Ford cars are equal to or better than Ferrari now? Blueblood status isn't something you can buy by winning over a popular sports talking head.

Good analogy. I'll add that the GT40 in Gulf colors was beautiful. Maroon, not so much...

Good analogy. I'll add that the GT40 in Gulf colors was beautiful. Maroon, not so much...
GT 40 was incredible, and Ford has made 2 tribute models over the years that were awesome in their own right, but none of that trickled down to the cars and trucks pumped out for the public to buy. Ferrari is Ferrari and for a very long time selling cars was only to support their racing efforts, and to a lesser degree that continues today. Point is aggy is Ford, Texas (and other blue bloods except Corn) is Ferrari. No amount of spending and propaganda can change that fact.
GT 40 was incredible, and Ford has made 2 tribute models over the years that were awesome in their own right, but none of that trickled down to the cars and trucks pumped out for the public to buy. Ferrari is Ferrari and for a very long time selling cars was only to support their racing efforts, and to a lesser degree that continues today. Point is aggy is Ford, Texas (and other blue bloods except Corn) is Ferrari. No amount of spending and propaganda can change that fact.

40 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Pate continued by saying A&M is on the same level as Texas.

“A&M does not take a back seat tobtecas anymore, that’s big 12 and SWC talk.”

someone has DEFINITELY been educated by looch

They don’t yet because we haven’t officially started in the conference, but they have beta’d their way under Bama’s nuts for the entire time they have been gone, so they are still well practiced.

Traylor can coach. He’s a genuine guy that kids relate to and he seems to always make excellent hires. He reminds me of Gundy in this way (the hires not relatability). I also believe that he’s a real culture builder. Elko is a defensive guy that will always have to hire the right OC to succeed. If they do succeed the OC will get hired away and they’ll have to start over. I hope it’s Elko.

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

Now Pate is saying those who claim A&M isn’t a tier 1 job are equivalent to flat earthers. 

Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

He’s talking out of both sides of his mouth.

aggy is the best job because of money and resources. It’s such a great job/money huge names are in play that you wouldn’t figure similar to Brian Kelly>LSU or Reilly>USC

aggy can hire Traylor or Elko if they are the best candidate

aggy doesn’t have to pay $11.5m/yr to get the right candidate

So if aggy hires a big name, he was right. If aggy hires a 2nd:3rd tier candidate, he was right and it doesn’t mean it not a huge job.

There is literally no way he can be wrong, and he’s setting it up so that aggy looks good no matter what they do.

Dude drank the maroon Koolaid Looch keeps serving him.

3 hours ago, Pancho said:

Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

That's fine, but I'm waiting to hear what mee-maw had to say. Not really, between mee-maw, paper popping and Pate constantly bragging about his past commentary being proven right, I quit listening to his podcasts.

As far as national talking heads go, Joel Klatt was much more accurate in his assessment of A&M than Pate. He said they’re the 4th best job in the region and at best the 7th best job in the SEC.

Pate’s just making a business decision because he knows that the cult will eat up his BS and give him more clicks/views.

1 hour ago, SuckitKevin said:

Traylor can coach. He’s a genuine guy that kids relate to and he seems to always make excellent hires. He reminds me of Gundy in this way (the hires not relatability). I also believe that he’s a real culture builder. Elko is a defensive guy that will always have to hire the right OC to succeed. If they do succeed the OC will get hired away and they’ll have to start over. I hope it’s Elko.

Based on his head coaching experience being limited to 3 years at a low level program I think this remains to be seen

4 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

3) everyone else

I mean, if you want to consider us a blue blood, I probably wouldn’t use “perennial contender” as your metric, homie

• Like 2