• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

7 minutes ago, blutow said:

Yeah, I don't know.  Even if $17.5m is the payout for an NC year, that's not a dumb number.  Shit like that drives finance people crazy (because it's hard to know what to plan for), but the reality is that will be a very rare year and even if he's winning an NC ever few years that's $ well spent.  It's a way you can convince Elko he's making as much (or more) as the top guys without committing to pay him $10m/year+.  Under that plan, chances are his average annual salary would be well under $10m, even if he's getting into the playoffs frequently.  

No. It’s dumb. This is a HC with 2 years of experience, taking a job at an also-ran in the toughest football conference. 

It’s dumb. 

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Pretty decent photo gallery of last night’s and today’s Elko related events here: https://theeagle.com/gallery/gallery-coach-mike-elko-arrival-and-welcome-celebration/collection_fb815f1e-8d78-11ee-8430-f3785d7a8268.html?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter_TheEagleAggies#15

but GD this one photo fucking cracks me. It is the look on Bjork’s face:

IMG_8241.jpeg

Bjork has the look of a guy who just came out of the boss's office after an all-morning chewing-out.  Probably because that's exactly what happened.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

However, the most instructive activity Bjork and his team undertook, as he recounted Monday, was a research project that studied how each national champions in the SEC are built. 

"The more you look at it, the simpler it gets. The majority of the winners have these things in common: a defensive-minded head coach, a championship-level culture, recruit and acquire elite NFL-type talent, play great offense and score a lot of points with a high-level quarterback," Bjork said.

Ricky Gervais Lol GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

25 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

This is the gold from Bjork

"The more you look at it, the simpler it gets. The majority of the winners have these things in common: a defensive-minded head coach, a championship-level culture, recruit and acquire elite NFL-type talent, play great offense and score a lot of points with a high-level quarterback."

no shit dude.  you have 1 of 6. good luck.

I never paid much attention to him before, but that m'fer is as dumb as they come in CS. Too bad he wasn't around in the thujone mspaint days. 

It's simple.  So simple.  
Yet aggy has never even sniffed winning the SEC, and the last time they won a NC was just after Hitler invaded Poland. 
Could have been before? CFB seasons were shorter back then, hard to keep leather conditioner on the helmets in cold/wet weather.

Just now, orangebird said:

The mental gymnastics they are going through to make this hire seem like a good idea is really...something.

Especially when they could have hired him 2 weeks ago and not have actually offered the job to Stoops in the meantime. They had to hire somebody right after the Stoops debacle so they wouldn't have that debacle lingering around, and besides Robinson (who was never gonna happen), Elko was the easiest hire.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

No. It’s dumb. This is a HC with 2 years of experience, taking a job at an also-ran in the toughest football conference. 

It’s dumb. 

OK, but not in the same league of dumb as Jimbo's contract (or Lincoln's).  Elko's an unproven guy.  Maybe the base salary is too high or the term too long, but using incentives is a good way to only pay the guy if he does well.  For me, the dumb contracts in college football are the guaranteed 9+m/year even if you suck. That said, I've got zero background in compensation for football coaches, I have no idea what makes these guys tick.  But I've spent a lot of years around comp plans for sales execs and I don't mind paying them 2x what the CEO makes if he's knocking it out of the park.  And a painless exit plan for non-performers if they can't get done in a reasonable amount of time.  Why it has to be so different for coaches, I don't understand.   

39 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Uh, it's actually easier than that...the majority of SEC championships over the past 10 years have had 1 thing in common.  Nick Saban.

Hey now, Gene Chizik and Ed Orgeron deserve some fucking respect. They totally fit the archetype, and I’m sure Bjork spent a lot of time researching their success as well.

On 11/26/2023 at 1:20 PM, Blotto said:

Fuck all that noise. Its impossible to win a championship at aggy either. Hell Stoops had two 10 win seasons at UK in the time that Jimbo was fleecing A&M.  I would demand $5 million more than I was making at my current gig just to stomach the nonstop fucktardedness that defines that shit hole. Call it a milkman tax

Texas A&M Football: What Does Gig Em Mean, Explained | vlr.eng.br

Just came across this picture that was posted yesterday and about 20 pages ago but the kid with the white upper body and black lower body is freaking me out. What kind of Dr Frankenstein shit they doing down there in the shit fields of CS?

Screenshot_20231127-192505.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

This is the gold from Bjork

"The more you look at it, the simpler it gets. The majority of the winners have these things in common: a defensive-minded head coach, a championship-level culture, recruit and acquire elite NFL-type talent, play great offense and score a lot of points with a high-level quarterback."

no shit dude.  you have 1 of 6. good luck.

• Haha 2
  • Drool 1

11 minutes ago, NoName said:

why do they have to be so weird? Are the yell leaders there just so people know how fucking weird they are?

Watch Elko in that video. He is already wondering what he's gotten himself back into.

IMG_2901.jpeg.3508619a898b61ba2a7084b0b84fcfbb.jpeg

remember that time your backwoods cousin invited you to a cookout and you found out it was a klan rally? 

• Haha 4
  • Prepare your anus 1

10 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Just came across this picture that was posted yesterday and about 20 pages ago but the kid with the white upper body and black lower body is freaking me out. What kind of Dr Frankenstein shit they doing down there in the shit fields of CS?

Screenshot_20231127-192505.png

There’s a black lady between the two kids, so they photoshopped her out but forgot to remove the legs….

• Like 1

So his buyout starts at $6.5M, but they owe him 75% of the entire contract if he leaves - or only if they fire him?

If it's no matter why he leaves, he should sign the contract, then tell them he's going back to Duke. Have them subtract the $6.5M from the $30M they owe him, then go back to Duke.

If he has to get fired, start saying "Hook'em" after every sentence until they tell you to leave.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

"We will become the absolute best version of ourself as quickly as possible, because the best version of Texas A&M football wins the national championship," Elko said. "The best version of Texas A&M football, our way, wins the national championship." 

Has he ever sniffed a national championship?   He's not 84 years old, so hasn't seen what it takes for aggy to win a national championship.  Hell, he wasn't even coaching when they won their last conference championship.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MIkeHoncho said:

"We will become the absolute best version of ourself as quickly as possible, because the best version of Texas A&M football wins the national championship," Elko said. "The best version of Texas A&M football, our way, wins the national championship." 

Has he ever sniffed a national championship?   He's not 84 years old, so hasn't seen what it takes for aggy to win a national championship.  Hell, he wasn't even coaching alive when they won their last conference championship.  

FIFY

• Haha 1

We are not going to talk about it anymore," Elko said Monday, "we are going to be about it."

"We will become the absolute best version of ourself as quickly as possible, because the best version of Texas A&M football wins the national championship,"Elko said. "The best version of Texas A&M football, our way, wins the national championship." 

Says they aren’t going to talk about winning the national championship anymore.  The proceeds to talk about winning the national championship.  They are the gift that keeps on giving, an early Christmas miracle

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

11 minutes ago, MIkeHoncho said:

"We will become the absolute best version of ourself as quickly as possible, because the best version of Texas A&M football wins the national championship," Elko said.

"My goal has always been one thing, and that is to become the best version of ourselves that we can become."  Matt Campell

• Haha 2

Has he ever sniffed a national championship?   He's not 84 years old, so hasn't seen what it takes for aggy to win a national championship.  Hell, he wasn't even coaching when they won their last conference championship.  

FIFY

They won the big 12 south one year and didn’t even have to play in the ccg they were so good. The wall outside shoulda told ya.

Volume up

New keyboard. You owe me one.
  • Hook 'Em 1

"All 30 coaches saw immediately that Elko was the perfect choice and, without prompting, recommended him highly. Stoops was even so taken with the potential for Aggieland that he was going to fly to College Station and beg the school to hire Elko, but he turned around when they told him it was already a done deal. Whoop!"

How long before that becomes the myth?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5