2022 Texas Coaching/Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

It doesn't, but I'll give a short one. 

Jamaal Charles's YPC dropped by over two yards from 2005 to 2006 despite the OL returning 4 future NFL players, the difference was QB play. RS freshman Colt McCoy wasn't a bad QB, but he was much worse than the previous year's QB. QB play affects what people think are OL issues just as OL play affects QB stats. Vince Young winning 7 games with this year's team is one of the dumbest things I've ever read. 

The real kicker to me is that he ignores what the line looked like when McCoy led us to the national championship game. Ulatoski-Tanner-Hall-Huey-Hix didn’t exactly remind me of the 90s Cowboys.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Snacks said:

Stats or of context are data points, not information.

What did we rank in sacks?

Any QB that lined up behind that OL was going to be middle of the pack at best.

VY night have won 7. Colt maybe 6. Everyone else that has played the position here since 1981 (ie, 40 years) would have been mediocre to terrible.

Until we have an OL that can keep a QB of his ass, we won't know what the QB can talk do.

It’s funny but sack rate and completion percentage are the most predictable stats for a QB. Yet, people thinks sacks are solely an OL start. Texas won 5 games. I can’t think of a single game that QB play won a game. I can think of 2 games Texas won, despite QB play. OL definitely improved throughout the year and was a huge reason Texas won its last game.  In the 5 wins Texas’s lowest rushing total was 170 yards (ULL). The other games 437, 336, 272, and 208 in the other wins. Texas averaged 199.2 yards rushing, 2nd in the Big 12, and still has a losing record. The truth is the Texas offense completely fell apart, when the run game wasn’t dominant 

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The scary thing about Ewers behind last year's line, early season, is that he gets traumatized the way Card evidently was, and Buechele was. 

Sure, he's got some tools that would help him avoid that fate, but you can't be sure until he's back there.

Card panicked, because he was not ready or prepared (post-game Sark mentioned they prepared for a 4 man front). He faced a drop 8, probably for the first time, and he did it in one of the most hostile environments Texas has seen in the last decade. That game had me doubting Hudson will ever be a starter. It wasn’t, because he was bad, but because he froze. Sam was terrible as a freshmen, but put Sam in that situation and he probably throws 4/5 ints. Good or bad, Sam is throwing punches. Not sure I can say that about Card. I will concede he is young and Card can over come it, but it is just something that stuck in my head about him. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

The real kicker to me is that he ignores what the line looked like when McCoy led us to the national championship game. Ulatoski-Tanner-Hall-Huey-Hix didn’t exactly remind me of the 90s Cowboys.

… and Colt ended up being broken in half because of that line.
We need an upgrade in ‘want to’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Snacks said:

That line is far better than this line. I thought I established that around game 6 of this season...

So you’re sticking with Colt would’ve won exactly 1 more game than what we threw out there this season with Sarkisian calling plays instead of Greg Davis? Jesus Christ….let me guess also 5 wins?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Holy crap. I know this is hard for some people to believe because we haven’t seen it at Texas in a decade, but position groups can improve throughout a season. Flood had the OL in a much better spot the last half of the year compared to Arkansas. When Tope Imade, who couldn’t sniff the field for 5 years, comes out and says he would have been a NFL player under Flood if he had multiple years under him, that isn’t just smoke being blown up our asses. Outside of Arkansas and the second half of OU/ISU, the OL played at a level that is good enough to win most games. If this team just had average QB play or an average defense, we easily win 8-9 games. I lost count at the number of times we ran the football on 3rd and 6+ because we were scared to let our QB’s throw the  ball. We had QB’s who couldn’t throw, wide receivers who couldn’t catch and a defense who gave up a 50 spot to Kansas. 

I know it’s just embedded into our minds as Texas fans to assume the OL sucks. Not saying they are a top 10 OL in the country or anything but they played adequately enough to where if you have an average QB, Bijan Robinson and Xavier Worthy you should be lighting up scoreboards. 

The line was much better as the year progressed, we even got serviceable play out of Christian Jones in short stretches in the last few weeks. If Kyle Flood can do that with Tope and Jones, then he should be able to make Banks, Campbell, Williams, et al into monsters.

Edited by Vertigo

Do y’all fuckers forget that Colt was the leading rusher in the 2008 season? He had to scramble because of the shit O-line and fucking Britt Mitchell, Ulatoski, and Michael fucking Huey, not to mention the 2009 season which was even worse and giving up 25 sacks to Donkey dick Suh. Shit

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Jersey Man10 said:

Do y’all fuckers forget that Colt was the leading rusher in the 2008 season? He had to scramble because of the shit O-line and fucking Britt Mitchell, Ulatoski, and Michael fucking Huey, not to mention the 2009 season which was even worse and giving up 25 sacks to Donkey dick Suh. Shit

In all fairness Suh was pretty fucking nails. 

but damn, what could have been if we had 3 guys who could block.

Edited by Doc Reeves

1 hour ago, Jersey Man10 said:

I still have nightmares of watching Britt Mitchell completely whiff on basic blocks against mediocre defensive lineman. 

IT Humidor:

Spoiler

*Continuity is a big buzzword behind the scenes. That leads us to believe no defensive coaching changes are on the docket. We haven’t heard with certainty one way or the other but if a change was going to be made, we likely would have heard by now.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Recent history tells us that Texas gives head coaches one chance at a reboot to bring in new assistants.  I doubt Sark wants to use that up this early in his tenure.  If PK can make progress next year then great.  If not, he can use his reboot and either bring in Patterson off the bench or someone else from the outside and buy himself another year or 2 to right the ship.  Seems logical from Sark's perspective and self-preservation mode.  I don't think replacing Coleman alone qualifies as a reboot.  It's either gotta be changing a coordinator or bigger staff overhaul.  I just can't see them changing PK after 1 year.  But just because IT hasn't heard anything, that doesn't mean squat either, so who knows.

1 minute ago, WBT said:

Meh.  People do realize that Patterson was just fired and that TCU's defense was worse than ours this year?

They had a ton of injuries. The previous 5 years in FEI defense they ranked 19th, 17th, 19th, 22nd and 33rd. 

This board went insane over Ash who finished 40th in FEI defense. 

I don't know about the role or whatever but there's no denying that Patterson is a legit defensive mind. 

• Hook 'Em 7

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

Hiring Patterson as a DC - who would hopefully right the ship on defense, and who would also go down with the ship if Sark continues to suck and gets canned - would be awesome.

Hiring Patterson as some kind of analyst or made up GM role - where he won't fix the defense, has an incentive to undermine Sark without it reflecting poorly on Patterson's own performance, and where Del Conte will have him waiting in the wings as an option to replace Sark if Sark continues to suck and gets canned - would likely be counterproductive.

Send a memo to CDC

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Hiring Patterson as a DC - who would hopefully right the ship on defense, and who would also go down with the ship if Sark continues to suck and gets canned - would be awesome.

Hiring Patterson as some kind of analyst or made up GM role - where he won't fix the defense, has an incentive to undermine Sark without it reflecting poorly on Patterson's own performance, and where Del Conte will have him waiting in the wings as an option to replace Sark if Sark continues to suck and gets canned - would likely be counterproductive.

Tend to agree but the analyst/GM route isn’t so black or white. A) He could still help fix the defense from those roles depending on specifics. B) I doubt CDC really has the power to fire Sark and replace him with GP. Jay and Eltife are the ones who’d have to go that route and I don’t see a situation where they’d pick GP as the permanent replacement. C) if Sark wins games, none of the above matters bc he ain’t getting canned.

So as long as GP is in some role to help fix the defense and where he’s clearly beneath Sark, I’m ok with it. 

2 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

I don't like it and I don't like it much the same way I don't like mushrooms. Just a visceral reaction to gross and oddly textured things.

You don’t like Fat Gare. You don’t like fungus. Fat Gare most definitely has multiple types of fungus growing in the fold beneath his cheeseburger tits. So it’s understandable you don’t like this. That’s very linear sheriff.

Edited by Herbie Hancock
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Yes,  but we also realize his track record of fielding good defenses and knowing this conference.

PK also has a pretty good track record albeit not in this conference. I’m not defending the job he did this year, our defense was atrocious, but maybe he and Gary both had a problem with talent.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

You're not the first to throw out this conspiracy level shit, but think about it.  If the common wisdom regurgitated on this board is that CDC was removed from the head coaching search, do you really think those usurpers of the AD will allow him to pull something like this off?  And if CDC's simple-mindedness is to be believed, then I seriously doubt he is capable of this sort of play.  Everybody needs to recognize our Longhorn PTSD and calm down.

From FCB:

Former TCU coach Gary Patterson met with Texas coach Steve Sarkisian and the Longhorns’ staff in Austin Friday about a possible role for Patterson in the UT program, sources told Horns247.

According to sources, the meeting went well and could lead to Patterson joining the Texas football program in some capacity.

Another source close to the situation said an announcement of Patterson joining the UT football program could come quickly

Patterson spent 21 years as the head coach at TCU, winning six conference championships and becoming the school’s all-time victory leader, before being let go toward the end of the 2021 season.

Patterson’s expertise is defense, but going into Friday’s meeting it didn’t seem likely Patterson’s role would involve any on-field coaching, sources said. Patterson, however, could serve as an advisor to the defensive staff in a new role, one source said.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

So, CDC bringing the biggest negative recruiter ever as a looming threat to the Sark is a good idea?  It isn't.

Yea fuck that guy for doing his job. There’s reasons to not like this, but him using any advantage he had against us when he had little isn’t one of them.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2