NFC title - California dreaming

Make em eat Taco Bell

1 minute ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Off the top of my head I can only come up with Roger Staubach and Jim Plunkett as Heisman QBs to win the Super Bowl. As for guys to win the Heisman, national title and Super Bowl I can only think of Tony Dorsett, Marcus Allen and Woodson.

Joe Montana won the natty in 1977 and 4 Supers, Earl got the Heisman in 1977 even though the Irish beat Texas in the Cotton that year, spoiling the Horns perfect season. 

32 minutes ago, runthebone said:

Another Shanahan choke job, also.

Not gonna totally defend Shanny but his QB is is a flat out choker.  Jimmy G has proved it many times over.  Then again, as a Pats fan, I do appreciate that the only Super Bowl I have ever attended was when he was OC of the Falcons and Shanahan did prove to be not very good at calling plays.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Not gonna totally defend Shanny but his QB is is a flat out choker.  Jimmy G has proved it many times over.  Then again, as a Pats fan, I do appreciate that the only Super Bowl I have ever attended was when he was OC of the Falcons and Shanahan did prove to be not very good at calling plays.  

Jimmy is obviously nothing special but he and Shanahan go hand in hand.

Pretty easy to get the ball in Deebos hands. Starting with 2nd and 1 from the Rams 40 with the lead. I’m not sure Deebo touched it again. And mind you that series ended without Jimmy G getting chance. Maybe had they let him throw they convert. They should have gone on 4th.

People will make a big deal out of the final pick, but it should have been caught. And there’s a good chance that decision may have given the 49ers better odds. Catch and break a tackle or incompletion gives them significantly a better chance. 4th and about 20 after a sack. They have virtually no chance there.

They should have been feeding Kittle and Deebo all day.

Tartt catches it. Good chance they win.
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Pretty easy to get the ball in Deebos hands. Starting with 2nd and 1 from the Rams 40 with the lead. I’m not sure Deebo touched it again. And mind you that series ended without Jimmy G getting chance. Maybe had they let him throw they convert. They should have gone on 4th.

People will make a big deal out of the final pick, but it should have been caught. And there’s a good chance that decision may have given the 49ers better odds. Catch and break a tackle or incompletion gives them significantly a better chance. 4th and about 20 after a sack. They have virtually no chance there.

It’s not binary,  all of what you said is true, and Jimmy Grapes sucks. With even passable quarterbacking, they win this game.

Edited by Bateshorn

The above is correct.

I have no fucking idea what Shanahan was calling in the fourth. You can’t let your Qb scan the field for five seconds with the Rams Dline ears pinned back. Quick throws to Kittle or Debo. Creative running plays you’re known for. Nope, just basic shit.

The dropped interception was a killer for the Niners. Too many weapons on the Rams  O and they took full advantage.

1 hour ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Joe Montana won the natty in 1977 and 4 Supers, Earl got the Heisman in 1977 even though the Irish beat Texas in the Cotton that year, spoiling the Horns perfect season. 

Joe Namath won a natty and a Super Bowl.

So only guys named Joe have accomplished that double.

28 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

It was thrown to the shortest guy on the field with the longest hair.  He did get his hands on it.  But he had to take a chance on that throw rather than get in a 4th and 25.

15 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

I never really think of Montana as QB of the team in 1977 because when they came to Pitt for the opener it was Rusty Lisch who started the first three or four games that year. They beat Pitt that year, 19-9. On the same play that he threw a TD pass to Gordon Jones Pitt's Matt Cavanaugh broke his wrist when he hit the ground.

Pitt QB Wayne Adams, who never played before that day, fumbled the snap about 10 times that day, and lost six or seven and had one INT. If Notre Dame loses that day, and as they did the next week at Ole Miss, history would have been much different.

Or, if they lose to Pitt perhaps Dan Devine makes the change to Montana earlier than he eventually did.

13 hours ago, bullet said:

Joe Namath won a natty and a Super Bowl.

So only guys named Joe have accomplished that double.

Namath was drafted #12 by the Cardinals in the 1965 NFL Draft, and #1 in the AFL Draft. 

Dick Butkus was taken #3 (in a pick obtained from the Steelers 🤬) and they followed that with Gale Sayers at #4. And incredible two successive picks.

Sayers was picked by the Chiefs at #5 in the AFL Draft. Think about Sayers on those really, really good Chiefs teams.

Denver took Butkus as the first pick of the second round, 9th overall, in that draft.