2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

I hope the team has seen that. Old Mac ain't giving up. Fuck that noise.

Yep, the Astros are down 2-1, and hell, they might not win this thing, which we all knew coming in ... but then again they just might. It's not over yet. Still gotta play the games.

LFG Astros!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, wood said:

Yeah we should probably all just quit and start trashing the team, like that pussy Helobious did when the Yankees were tied 1-1 in the ALDS.

I'm not giving up.  I just don't have a good feeling.  Bad guys have all the momentum.  All the pressure is on us.

1 hour ago, Guadaloopy said:

I ain't tryna get behind the Chronicle's paywall.

Here you go bro

PHILADELPHIA — Dusty Baker kept allowing Lance McCullers Jr. to get hammered.

Home run, home run, home run. Two more huge ones followed, and Game 3 was officially toast, with Citizens Bank Park celebrating like the wild-card Phillies had just won it all in one glorious night.

As another big-name Astros starting arm was pummeled in this World Series, the past and present stared Baker’s suddenly struggling club in the face.

Wake up, Astros.

Before it’s again too late.

Remember Washington in 2019?

Atlanta in 2021?

It’s happening again to the “better” team.

Two more defeats, and the Astros will be World Series losers to a better National League East squad in a third consecutive Fall (un) Classic.

It was 2-0 Philadelphia in the first inning Tuesday night. It was 4-0 Bryce Harper’s crew after the second.

Move on from the clearly struggling McCullers and try to string together rested bullpen arms, building a modern road to victory like Phillies manager Rob Thomson did in Game 1?

Not in a horrific fifth Tuesday as Baker kept McCullers on the mound and two more huge Philly blasts followed.

The end: 7-0 Phillies, as the National League’s best club swung the Fall Classic and grabbed a 2-1 series lead with pure power.

“They hit a lot of solid pitches,” said McCullers, who allowed six hits and seven runs in 4⅓  losing innings. “But at the end of the day, we got beat pretty bad, and I got beat up pretty bad.”

McCullers kept emphasizing that there were no excuses.

Alex Bregman, who went 0-for-3 with a walk, said the same. The Astros' offense recorded only five hits (all singles), left eight on base and was shut out for the first time in the playoffs, with Ranger Suárez rolling through five scoreless frames.

After burning through their initial two postseason series with a combined 7-0 sweep, the Astros are being beaten by a still-hot Philly team that fought back to take Game 1 on the road in 10 tense innings and absolutely dominated Citizens Bank Park in Game 3.

“Whatever happened before, we’re down 2-1 right now,” Bregman said. “Let’s come back (Wednesday), compete, ready to go, and put together some better at-bats offensively and give our pitchers some run support.”

Thomson’s slugging crew feasted on McCullers’ off-speed offerings. After almost 48 hours of World Series inaction — a travel day was followed by a rainout — it was all Philly through three innings, and the pressing question became how long McCullers would stay in the game.

The next Q: Was McCullers tipping his pitches and unintentionally giving the Phillies an early look at what would soon drift across the plate?

“I think guys have conversations all the time before at-bats and before innings and things like that,” McCullers said. “So I’m not going to sit here and say anything like that. I got whupped. End of story.”

Whupped is a professional way of putting it.

This is a carousel. Use Next and Previous buttons to navigate

Houston Astros shortstop Jeremy Peña, center, sits in the dugout in the ninth inning during Game 3 of the World Series at Citizens Bank Park on Tuesday, Nov. 1, 2022, in Philadelphia.1of116Houston Astros shortstop Jeremy Peña, center, sits in the dugout in the ninth inning during Game 3 of the World Series at Citizens Bank Park on Tuesday, Nov. 1, 2022, in Philadelphia.Brett Coomer/Staff photographer

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Baker stuck with Justin Verlander too long in Game 1. In Game 3, the veteran manager allowed McCullers to give up five home runs, despite the fact  it was obvious in the first inning that his starter didn’t have it.

Throw in Yordan Alvarez’s struggles at the plate and another off night for Jose Altuve (0-for-4), and the Astros have simply been beat in two of three contests, with two more still to come inside a roaring ballpark that loudly loves its Phillies.

“It's pretty evident what kind of threat they pose. They can hit the ball out of the ballpark, and they can hit,” Baker said. “So we've just got to go back to the drawing board and figure was it them (Tuesday) or was it Lance … not having his stuff. So we'll go back and analyze it. We've had 10 minutes to analyze it. That's not very much time. So we'll go back, and we'll figure it out.”

The Astros are a 106-win team that was heavily favored to win the World Series, just like in 2019 and ’21.

McCullers said the next goal for the 2022 Astros is simple. Win one in Philly and guarantee a return to Minute Maid Park for Game 6.

“We are a team that bounces back well,” said McCullers, who added he’ll soon focus on returning to the mound for a potential Game 7.

Bregman highlighted an even more limited World Series focus: Win the next pitch.

“That’s the most important pitch,” he said. “You’ve got to turn the page from (Tuesday). You’ve got to move on.”

Blowing Game 1 in Houston should have been the only reminder these Astros needed.

The once-lesser Nationals led the 2019 World Series 1-0 and hoisted the trophy.

The once-overlooked Braves also took the first test last season and turned a 2-1 series advantage into a world title. 

Can Cristian Javier be a road hero in Game 4?

“He’s a stud,” Bregman said. “He’s one of the best in all of baseball. We’re super confident in him.”

Will Verlander finally earn a World Series win in Game 5?

Before three Philadelphia home runs in two innings Tuesday night, Baker oddly insisted that Verlander was penciled in as his Game 5 starter, not inked in.

“I don't have a pen,” Baker said.

It’s too late for silly games and bad misses with a world-championship-or-bust team that could change its manager and/or general manager for 2023.

Baker is down 2-1 to Thomson in this World Series, and a light-hitting Houston team faces the same deficit. 

The Phillies are for real, especially in Philadelphia, and keep cranking home runs. 

Wake up, Astros.

Before it’s too late and you give away another trophy.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

HIT THE FUCKING BALL, ASSHOLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fukin right.  They need to man up. 

I gave up at 7-0. Had to be up to drive at 4am. I haven't even checked the final box score today. Didn't even listen to sports radio on my 4hr drive.

I want to forget about that game. 

I'm going in raw tonight with no expectations.  

• Like 1

Ready to forget about yesterday.

Today is a new day and we can make this a best of 3 series with home field advantage with a W.

That being said, Dusty has done a shitty job so far in this series. And yet all it takes is a W tonight and.....

spacer.png 

This article made me rage, but also kind of helped me walk back from the edge as I know I'm not taking crazy pills.

Phillies bomb Astros to take 2-1 World Series lead (deadspin.com)

The funny thing, no matter what Dusty Baker’s rep is, and will be, is that he’s gotten more looks at the postseason than many. While he’ll always wear the epic choke jobs of the Giants in 2002 and the Cubs in 2003 — fair or not — his time in D.C. and in Houston has shown a guy who has learned how playoff baseball works. He’s usually been pretty aggressive getting to his bullpen, ready to wheel back a starter if need be in relief, and treated the next out as the only out that matters. That’s how you do it.

For some reason, in this World Series, someone zapped him back nearly 20 years.

This World Series is a beautiful juxtaposition

Baker was too slow to recognize in Game 1 that Justin Verlander was never going to get through the Phillies lineup a second time, and that he’d lost command of basically all his pitches. Baker had a fully rested bullpen after sweeping the New York Yankees, and only had two games to worry about before another off-day. You can basically go whole hog on your bullpen in Games 1 and 2, especially when they’ve had three full days off from the end of the last series. Dusty and the Astros may never get that win back.

He may have done it again for Game 3. Now whether Lance McCullers was tipping his pitches or not is certainly not Dusty’s fault. What is, or may be, is that with the rainout pushing the game back a day, Baker had the option of skipping over McCullers altogether. Joe Sheehan was beating this drum all day yesterday, as the Phils were a top-10 hitting team against sliders and curves all season. All McCullers throws are sliders and cutters, and clearly was a worse matchup for the Astros than Christian Javier, who thanks to the bonus off-day was available to start Game 3, with Verlander available to start Game 4, and Framber Valdez available to start Game 5, all on normal rest. The option of never offering the Phillies a look at a breaking-ball-only pitcher was on the table. Baker didn’t take it, and his team lost by a touchdown. There’s not much Baker can do about his lineup going missing, and they barely even put together competitive ABs, but this felt like a mistake.

That doesn’t mean the Phils are helpless against fastballs. They were 10th in wOBA against four-seamers all season. If you restrict that to fastballs at or over 95 MPH, they drop all the way down to 22nd with a .291 mark. Javier averages 94 MPH on his fastball, but one could say that with World Series adrenaline and a directive that he would only go through the lineup twice, at most, he could live in the range that Philly finds so difficult to deal with. We’ll see how it plays out in Game 4 tonight, obviously.

Again, it’s hardly Baker’s fault if McCullers was signaling unintentionally to the Phillies what he was throwing all night. Without the purported tipping, maybe he twirls a gem anyway and this is all moot. But this felt like the second time in three games that Baker didn’t take advantage of the options that were open to him. Now his team is down 2-1. They’ll have to beat two of Aaron Nola, Zack Wheeler, and Ranger Suarez, and maybe all three to win the Series. Trickier now as they’ve already beaten Wheeler once, and had Nola beaten, and it’s hard to fathom that given proper health (no sure thing with Wheeler reportedly) those two will back up a poor start with another one.

Once again, it felt like Baker reverted to the old version of being stuck in his ways, ways that dictated that Verlander can’t be pulled with a lead because he’s Justin Verlander, and ways that said to not deviate from how the rotation was set before the series no matter what. It’s becoming a trend for him, for sure.

Tree Fiddy said: "Baker stuck with Justin Verlander too long in Game 1"

That's the one that sticks in my Craw. So the Manager who has never won a World Series (as a manager) tries to get Verlander his First World Series Win by trying to stick with him thru five. Good fuckin move, Dusty, you old romantic you.

41 minutes ago, WBT said:

start?

It started in April 😂

8 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Tree Fiddy said: "Baker stuck with Justin Verlander too long in Game 1"

That's the one that sticks in my Craw. So the Manager who has never won a World Series (as a manager) tries to get Verlander his First World Series Win by trying to stick with him thru five. Good fuckin move, Dusty, you old romantic you.

I’ll guess every mlb manager lets it ride with jv in that game 

Edited by tx 3 putt

This series could and should be 2-1 Astros, the Astros outplayed Philly the first two games, they've been in more postseason games than any other team in MLB the last seven years or so and y'all pussies think this shit is even close to over?

Philly needs two more, we need three.

Stros in 7.

• Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, Macklemore said:

Click isn’t aggressive enough for Crane. He’s told him that he’s not in Tampa anymore and can spend money. Not signing Correa long term when Correa signed for a 1 year deal for just $3 million more than the $32 million a year offered in the 5 year deal we offered stings and shows the lack of deal making prowess. The credit for all of the home grown players like Peña belongs to the GOAT. Crane is going to bring one of Luhnow’s guys back to run things and going to send Click packing so he can go back to a cheapskate organization. The lack of adding any difference makers at the trade deadline is the nail in Click’s coffin IMO.

Not signing Correa was 300000% the right move. The problem was not getting a real bat to replace Brantley, when they knew he was never coming back. It wouldn't have mattered last night, but could have made a difference in Game 1, when Diaz was making the last out while swinging at ball 6. The Yankees got Bader for Jordan Montgomery; the Astros could have made that move with their plethora of starting pitching. Ian Happ was gettable as well. Probably should have gotten them both. There is no reason to go into the playoffs with players that have gone a combined 1-35 so far.

• Hook 'Em 5