2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

5 minutes ago, runthebone said:

Rainout tonight would really help them.

Not really. Nola and Wheeler would still only pitch twice They would still have to scramble with their starters for 3 games.  And if a rainout forces a game to be played on Thursday that would potentially be 5 games in 5 days which is advantage Astros. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Not really. Nola and Wheeler would still only pitch twice They would still have to scramble with their starters for 3 games.  And if a rainout forces a game to be played on Thursday that would potentially be 5 games in 5 days which is advantage Astros. 

It helps them because they can use their two aces at home instead of just Nola.

That also helps their pen for their 3 home games.

On 10/29/2022 at 10:07 PM, Fudge Nuggets said:

Ford and Sparks summed it up perfectly.  That was the most tense half inning where the tying run never came to the plate and they didn't score a run.

2 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Next two games if we can’t score 7-9 runs then we won’t be able too. Gotta rough up the bullpen the next two games and put the pressure their arms. 

For all the talk about our bullpen advantage, through two games, we've scored zero runs against their relievers while we have given up two and allowed an inherited run to score. 

We need to get to Thor early and force them to use someone other than Dominquez, Alvarado, and Effrin. Then we need to actually hit those guys. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Syndergaard’s strength is his fastball which scares me a lot less than pitchers that have a nasty slider. Hopefully Peña and Bregman feast tonight 

If we play.  Accuweather forecast for Philly is much better today than it was yesterday.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon

17 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

We need to get to Thor early and force them to use someone other than Dominquez, Alvarado, and Effrin. Then we need to actually hit those guys. 

I don’t think the Phillies expect Thor to go more than 4-5 innings. Tonight is a semi bullpen game. And tomorrow, with Suarez going, is the same. Their bullpen is going to be tested. 

9 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I don’t think the Phillies expect Thor to go more than 4-5 innings. Tonight is a semi bullpen game. And tomorrow, with Suarez going, is the same. Their bullpen is going to be tested. 

Yeah, and if we get these next two games, they're gonna need 7 or 8 from Nola in an elimination game under massive pressure, or they'll be down to the relievers they don't want to use against us.

We're in good shape.  Just get 2 of the next 3 and all is well.

• Hook 'Em 1

are we really worried about their starters and where they're pitching?  we took 5-0 leads on both of them.  the postgame team seemed to even think wheeler might be injured in some way.

once we see their relievers a little more, things will loosen up.  that's what we do.

the blueprint for a dominant series is holding up except for one dude - verlander.  if he holds a 5-0 lead like he should, it's 2-0 and people are using the s word.  but he dropped the line drive and here we are.

i'd feel a lot more nervous if nola and wheeler had shut us down and we were stuttering on offense.  besides verlander, the one aspect we're struggling with, somehow, is defense.  jv's play, abreu missing the grounder, ground ball to yuli, pena's flip.  even going back to our defense vs nyy (mostly by our pitchers too).  tighten up.

the season starts tonight.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I have to go trick or treating tonight. I hate Halloween. I’ve always hated Halloween, even when I was a kid.

Unfortunately, my wife and kids love Halloween.  She scheduled trick or treating 30 minutes away from our house at 6:30. So, I’m out on watching the game until 8:30, possibly 9:00. 

I love this woman more than my own life. She’s really testing the limits of that love with this. 

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I have to go trick or treating tonight. I hate Halloween. I’ve always hated Halloween, even when I was a kid.

Unfortunately, my wife and kids love Halloween.  She scheduled trick or treating 30 minutes away from our house at 6:30. So, I’m out on watching the game until 8:30, possibly 9:00. 

I love this woman more than my own life. She’s really testing the limits of that love with this. 

Kind of fucked up for your wife to do that to you when she knows how important the Astros are to you. 

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I'm not a doctor, but I play one on surly. I've diagnosed you with something rather contagious. For the sake of children all over town, I prescribe bed rest, no physical activity, and some television watching this evening.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, royiv said:

Kind of fucked up for your wife to do that to you when she knows how important the Astros are to you. 

She didn’t schedule Halloween to be during the World Series and we unfortunately live out in the sticks where it’s virtually impossible to trick or treat. She indulges all my nonsense unless and until it interferes with the children. Then it’s a complete and total non starter. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, n64ra said:

I'm not a doctor, but I play one on surly. I've diagnosed you with something rather contagious. For the sake of children all over town, I prescribe bed rest, no physical activity, and some television watching this evening.

Should that be chased with Anal or Oral sex after an astros win, doctor?  This is important for my rx that I need to present her with. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Is there any reason why Vazquez should not be plugged in the DH role? There is no legit justification for trotting Aledmys or Mancini out there. All of Vazquez’s numbers this season and past history of making clutch hits in the playoffs is calling for his use. 

Yes. If you Ph for Maldy or he gets hurt then you lose the DH for the rest of the game. If they were going to consider that they would have carried a 3rd catcher. Hensley is the answer imo. 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

She didn’t schedule Halloween to be during the World Series and we unfortunately live out in the sticks where it’s virtually impossible to trick or treat. She indulges all my nonsense unless and until it interferes with the children. Then it’s a complete and total non starter. 

Yeah, I get it and everyone's situation is different, but I still think it's kind of fucked up especially if she knows that you hate Halloween. It's not like the kids are going to be scarred and need counseling if dad misses trick or treating. I'm guessing they're aware of how much you love the Astros. Just my opinion, which isn't worth anything.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yes. If you Ph for Maldy or he gets hurt then you lose the DH for the rest of the game. If they were going to consider that they would have carried a 3rd catcher. Hensley is the answer imo. 

I mean, the pitcher can't possibly be worse than Macini/Diaz.  Just saying. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Same. You'll never get these moments back with your kids.. One day they won't want to trick or treat anymore so try to enjoy it.. 

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I don't get why we haven't seen Hensley in the DH spot. Let's see what happens. Maybe he provides a spark. It can't be worse than Diaz.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Then Mancini and/or Diaz just get one AB each rather than four or five.

We have the bullpen depth to live with that.

4 minutes ago, texashorne said:

Same. You'll never get these moments back with your kids.. One day they won't want to trick or treat anymore so try to enjoy it.. 

Eh, playing traffic cop so my kids don’t get run over while they greedily stalk our neighborhood for early onset diabetes isn’t really a moment I’m going to be revisiting later, or at least I hope not.  I’m with @Wulaw Horn, World Series should come first.  

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

can you work a streaming ipad with ear pods into your costume?  shouldn't be that hard.

31 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

16 minutes ago, texashorne said:

Trick or treating doesn't even register in my memory bank of bonding experiences that I had with my father. 

• Hook 'Em 2