Dwayne Haskins dead

Pancho

38 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

I’m no fan of Schefter, but he covers the NFL, not obits. Of course he’s going to report on Haskins’ death in the context of his career, that’s the only reason he’s talking about it.

Then STFU.  I think we've forgotten that we don't have to say something all the time.

• Hook 'Em 2

48 minutes ago, rantanamo said:

Then STFU.  I think we've forgotten that we don't have to say something all the time.

Yeah, how dare he report on something he actually covers 🙄

We should have put this thread on the “son, husband, beloved teammate” board instead of the football board, I suppose.

• Hook 'Em 7

Not much new info today.  Best I could find was this Breaking! News!:

And, well, this story:

Spoiler

WATCH: QB and Pittsburgh Steelers Star Dwayne Haskins Accident Demise Video Leaked On Twitter and Reddit: It has been a tragic second for us that Dwayne Haskins shouldn’t be between us. He died. He took his ultimate breath on April 9 and a day later he certainly not meet anyone. His family, his partner, and his youngsters all have been sad and despatched the tributes on social media. Based mostly on experiences, he was struck by a dump truck whereas he was strolling on a South Florida freeway. It was not recognized why he was strolling inside the midst of the freeway. Maybe some rigidity or any individual might want to have often called him harmful. Whatever the motive could also be, cops are discovering out. He was 24 years earlier when he misplaced his life. 

Dwayne Haskins was an American soccer quarterback who carried out three seasons inside the Nationwide Soccer League. He moreover carried out college soccer at Ohio State the place he lifted up the Sammy Baugh Trophy. Pittsburgh Steelers’ Haskins Jr. handed away in a automotive accident in Florida on Saturday. The data of his demise was confirmed by his agent, Cedric Saunders to ESP. The Steelers have expressed their condolences over his dying in an announcement.

Edited by immamac
aids link
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, formermav43 said:

I’m no fan of Schefter, but he covers the NFL, not obits. Of course he’s going to report on Haskins’ death in the context of his career, that’s the only reason he’s talking about it.

No kidding. His being a football player is the only reason anyone is talking about his death. If one of us died, random message boards and sports cable stations wouldn’t give two shits. With all due respect to Cardale and WhatTheBuck (which is basically none), you can’t expect to be given international regards and condolences and praise about what a man and brother you are because you played football and then expect people to not mention anything about how you played football. Especially true for SPORTS journalists. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

Dwayne Haskins was an American soccer quarterback who carried out three seasons inside the Nationwide Soccer League. He moreover carried out college soccer at Ohio State the place he lifted up the Sammy Baugh Trophy. Pittsburgh Steelers’ Haskins Jr. handed away in a automotive accident in Florida on Saturday. The data of his demise was confirmed by his agent, Cedric Saunders to ESP. The Steelers have expressed their condolences over his dying in an announcement.

That might be the most incredible piece of English prose I have ever seen. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

Not much new info today.  Best I could find was this Breaking! News!:

And, well, this story:

Hide contents

https://www.newszusa.com/watch-qb-and-pittsburgh-steelers-star-dwayne-haskins-accident-death-video-leaked-on-twitter-and-reddit/

WATCH: QB and Pittsburgh Steelers Star Dwayne Haskins Accident Demise Video Leaked On Twitter and Reddit: It has been a tragic second for us that Dwayne Haskins shouldn’t be between us. He died. He took his ultimate breath on April 9 and a day later he certainly not meet anyone. His family, his partner, and his youngsters all have been sad and despatched the tributes on social media. Based mostly on experiences, he was struck by a dump truck whereas he was strolling on a South Florida freeway. It was not recognized why he was strolling inside the midst of the freeway. Maybe some rigidity or any individual might want to have often called him harmful. Whatever the motive could also be, cops are discovering out. He was 24 years earlier when he misplaced his life. 

That second link is full of computer aids.

16 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

Not a OSU fan but this brought the dust out. From Michigan Fans across the country I never thought I’d say this but RIP and Go Bucks. Terrible loss for all involved

Thanks man. The older I get, the more I realize that caring about others is way more important than sports. It's cliche, but just finding a way to make someone's day better has a bigger impact than maybe we realize at the time.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 4/9/2022 at 2:37 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

Back atcha, bro. I thought that was totally uncalled for and very disappointing.

Some of you are emotionally fragile. Life is harsh. Reality is harsh. People being honest or straightforward (Schefter, imma) doesn’t make their comments mean. Maybe a little blunt, but not mean. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, formermav43 said:

2 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Some of you are emotionally fragile. Life is harsh. Reality is harsh. People being honest or straightforward (Schefter, imma) doesn’t make their comments mean. Maybe a little blunt, but not mean. 

Dozens of articles have been written about his career, it’s not like people don’t know he starred at Ohio State and hadn’t lived up to it in the NFL, but what does his professional “struggle” have anything at all to do with his tragic death? Just say he was an Ohio State standout and current Pittsburgh Steeler. Call him a backup if you want, but it’s still irrelevant. I also don’t think “struggle” is all that accurate either, he was in the mix in Pittsburg to back up Trubisky and who knows thereafter. Plus he was 24, had plenty of time for it to click for him. Full articles would probably include discussion of his career, but this was a tweet.  It’s not being a snowflake or whatever, it’s just irrelevant and dickish in a short tweet announcing the simple fact that he had died.

Yeah, how dare he report on something he actually covers
We should have put this thread on the “son, husband, beloved teammate” board instead of the football board, I suppose.

Schefter should’ve kept his original tweet up instead of deleting it and replacing it with a more empathetic one then.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Counterpoint - Try not to be a total fuckface dickhead. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Very tragic. RIP. Obviously more than just an athlete but the idea that you can’t mention his pro career so far has been disappointing doesn’t mean he wasn’t a great guy who was beloved. He ended his time at WFT due to his poor preparation and immaturity. Most teams don’t just cut first round talent as quickly. If Josh Rosen were struck and killed by a dump truck trying to cross a fucking highway I can assure people that his disappointing professional career would also get a mention aside from his success in college.

What I don’t get is the take from many in the sports world acting as though it’s out of bounds or racist to say he lost his job with the WFT because he fucked up.  I remember all the shit the Giants got for drafting Daniel Jones and it was deserved shit but how people lost their fucking minds that they passed on Haskins. No doubt Jones was a poor choice but people in the sports world were acting as though the Giants were assholes and racist for passing on Haskins. They were sure silent when he absolutely blew up his time with WFT. 

People can talk about his so far disappointing professional career because he brought it on himself. Apparently he was working very hard and had turned around his career at Pittsburg and unfortunately we will never get to see his time there play out. 

it’s a very sad situation clearly. But pointing out someone’s flaws and fuckups isn’t insensitive or racist. It’s part of this chapter of his life. The takes on this from the athlete community as a whole are imo misplaced outrage over the fact that some have mentioned his so far disappointing professional career that is 100% on him. 

RIP. Feel for all his loved ones. I don’t understand why anyone would ever try to cross a freeway and yet people die every damn day doing it. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Lmao, can you imagine doing that for an every day guy? "We're all here to remember and honor Ted, who by the way totally has been fucking up at work for like the past year or so. Did he not get that memo about the TPS reports?"

I definitely want you to write my obit. Lol. Sports figures/famous people when they pass their life as a whole will be covered. The good and bad. Insisting because someone died tragically that we never mention anything bad or negative about them is not realistic. those who mention his time with the WFT as a disappointment and something he was rebounding from in Pittsburg are not being insensitive.

It’s to me only insensitive if that’s all you focus on. I mean shit can you imagine the articles that would be written about Baker Mayfield or JFF if they were killed by a dump truck crossing the freeway this weekend? Heisman winner college success but…

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Dozens of articles have been written about his career, it’s not like people don’t know he starred at Ohio State and hadn’t lived up to it in the NFL, but what does his professional “struggle” have anything at all to do with his tragic death? Just say he was an Ohio State standout and current Pittsburgh Steeler. Call him a backup if you want, but it’s still irrelevant. I also don’t think “struggle” is all that accurate either, he was in the mix in Pittsburg to back up Trubisky and who knows thereafter. Plus he was 24, had plenty of time for it to click for him. Full articles would probably include discussion of his career, but this was a tweet.  It’s not being a snowflake or whatever, it’s just irrelevant and dickish in a short tweet announcing the simple fact that he had died.

Schefter is just adding context to who the guy is. I pay as little attention to Ohio State as possible and I never watch any sports television aside from live events. The truth is the truth, it isn't even ugly. He didn't bemoan the guy as a loser or a druggie or suicidal or anything else. I really can't imagine why people would get their noses out of joint about Schefter's benign tweet.

I doubt he had the slightest intention of putting Haskins down. Who gives a fuck?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I mean shit can you imagine the articles that would be written about Baker Mayfield or JFF if they were killed by a dump truck crossing the freeway this weekend? Heisman winner college success but…

"Richie Johnson did the world a favor today when he ran over the Heisman House Nissan carrying Baker Mayfield and Johnny Manziel to rehab in Pomona. Mayfield and Manziel, two of the shittiest fuckfaces in Heisman history, were trying to overcome their addictions to looking at themselves in the mirror and muttering how they'll show those unappreciative bastards..."

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Schefter stood on the line and Brandt absolutely crossed it.  A lot of this boils down to the short format for tweets.

The context is something you articulate in a second tweet, or if you go with a longer single tweet, bury it in the second paragraph.

Brandt was audio delivered and that's just cunty and stupid.  "He died and the way he died just goes to show what a dumbshit he's always been."  Brandt's 1000 years old and doesn't care, but he should be censured / suspended at a minimum.

15 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I definitely want you to write my obit. Lol. Sports figures/famous people when they pass their life as a whole will be covered. The good and bad. Insisting because someone died tragically that we never mention anything bad or negative about them is not realistic. those who mention his time with the WFT as a disappointment and something he was rebounding from in Pittsburg are not being insensitive.

It’s to me only insensitive if that’s all you focus on. I mean shit can you imagine the articles that would be written about Baker Mayfield or JFF if they were killed by a dump truck crossing the freeway this weekend? Heisman winner college success but…

Again, there have been and will be articles about his life and career which will appropriately address where he was professionally. To include that he "struggled" in a basic tweet announcing his death is just stupid. Imagine this for other celebrities.

"Pop star Michael Jackson, who is alleged to have diddled kids, has died."

"Marilyn Monroe, famous model who committed infidelity with president Kennedy, has died tragically."

"Former First Lady Nancy Reagan, who was known to have sucked a lot of cocks in Hollywood, has passed away in her home."

"Bob Stoops, whose cocksucking skills rivaled only that of Nancy Reagan, died when his neck goiter full of ejaculate suddenly exploded while devouring a bowl of dicks."

Ok, the last one would be totally appropriate.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

35 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Again, there have been and will be articles about his life and career which will appropriately address where he was professionally. To include that he "struggled" in a basic tweet announcing his death is just stupid. Imagine this for other celebrities.

"Pop star Michael Jackson, who is alleged to have diddled kids, has died."

"Marilyn Monroe, famous model who committed infidelity with president Kennedy, has died tragically."

"Former First Lady Nancy Reagan, who was known to have sucked a lot of cocks in Hollywood, has passed away in her home."

"Bob Stoops, whose cocksucking skills rivaled only that of Nancy Reagan, died when his neck goiter full of ejaculate suddenly exploded while devouring a bowl of dicks."

Ok, the last one would be totally appropriate.

It doesn’t bother me. But the Stoops one has to go down that way for sure. I think we can all acknowledge Schefter sucks and he’s for sure tone deaf. And shady as hell. But it’s a tweet and a sound bite.

Former Ohio State University record setting QB and Heisman candidate currently competing for the back up QB role with the Steelers has tragically died at 24 after being hit by a dump truck while crossing the highway.…..that’s a better way to say it, I guess. The second tweet will be explains by he’s the backup QB for the Steelers after being selected in the first round of the draft by the WFT. I mean it’s part of his football career. But I’m no way because he had a shitty 19 months with the WFT should that encapsulate who he is or that he was making a career comeback with the Steelers thru hard work. 

I just think Schefter is a tone deaf moron but the outrage over his tweet is a bit much. I heard he lost 11,000 followers on the Twitter because of the tweet. All I could think was he had 11,000 followers to lose? Really? I never liked the guy but any small amount of respect I had for him went out the proverbial window when he published that stuff on JPP’s hand injury. That was as low as it gets. I’m baffled ESPN gave him that much money I’m the first place. Or why he’s still used as an insider. He must have serious stuff on the people in the NFL. 

2 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Former Ohio State University record setting QB and Heisman candidate currently competing for the back up QB role with the Steelers has tragically died at 24 after being hit by a dump truck while crossing the highway.…..that’s a better way to say it, I guess.

Former Ohio State University record setting QB and Heisman candidate currently competing for the back up QB role with the Steelers has tragically died at 24 after a failed attempt at setting the Human Frogger record. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Lmao, can you imagine doing that for an every day guy? "We're all here to remember and honor Ted, who by the way totally has been fucking up at work for like the past year or so. Did he not get that memo about the TPS reports?"
Back in the day, there was a fistfight at a distant relative's funeral. Somebody in back called out the speaker for 'standing up there lying'. A few folks amen'd and the dead man's family didn't appreciate it obviously. Even though it was true. So when they were taking the body out, shit got real.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Schefter is just adding context to who the guy is. I pay as little attention to Ohio State as possible and I never watch any sports television aside from live events. The truth is the truth, it isn't even ugly. He didn't bemoan the guy as a loser or a druggie or suicidal or anything else. I really can't imagine why people would get their noses out of joint about Schefter's benign tweet.

I doubt he had the slightest intention of putting Haskins down. Who gives a fuck?

I think it has more to do with Shefty being a completely unlikable shit who everyone wants to punch. There's nothing wrong with his tweet but since he's hated Twitter people just look for anything to pile on him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

a million + Americans died over the last 2 years due to a pandemic and the Eastern half of an Eastern European country is being exterminated...

But everyone is up in arms about a Darwin award winner walking on the fucking interstate. 

I love sports but sports fandom brings out some of the worst and dumbest in humans. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

a million + Americans died over the last 2 years due to a pandemic and the Eastern half of an Eastern European country is being exterminated...

But everyone is up in arms about a Darwin award winner walking on the fucking interstate. 

I love sports but sports fandom brings out some of the worst and dumbest in humans. 

Particularly if they are Ohio State fans. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

I really can't imagine why people would get their noses out of joint about Schefter's benign tweet.

It's because we lived in a fucked up society now where it's a race to pounce upon someone's misstep. Doesn't matter if it really wasn't an issue to begin with. That's beside the point. 

Schefter seems like a douche. But in this case he did nothing wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brothahorn said:
6 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Back in the day, there was a fistfight at a distant relative's funeral. Somebody in back called out the speaker for 'standing up there lying'. A few folks amen'd and the dead man's family didn't appreciate it obviously. Even though it was true. So when they were taking the body out, shit got real.

In a somewhat related note, there are two famous instances of fighting for control over corpses.

One is the physical struggle in the Parkland Hospital between the staff and the secret service over who would carry out President' Kennedy's corpse. 

The other was the often-physical struggle between NYPD and NYFD over who would carry out the bodies from the 911 wreckage. If it was their man (or woman,) the two sides would have a physical struggle over control of the body that would sometimes turn into the throwing of the fists. 

That sounds like a CYE bit.  It's a total Larry move.

He then gets upset it when happens to someone he likes then gets pissed. Or it happens to him in some analogous way. Then he gets called out at the end and nods in agreement that he was being a hypocrite. Then cue Curb music.

10 hours ago, SizzleChest said:

Schefter stood on the line and Brandt absolutely crossed it.  A lot of this boils down to the short format for tweets.

The context is something you articulate in a second tweet, or if you go with a longer single tweet, bury it in the second paragraph.

Brandt was audio delivered and that's just cunty and stupid.  "He died and the way he died just goes to show what a dumbshit he's always been."  Brandt's 1000 years old and doesn't care, but he should be censured / suspended at a minimum.

Did you hear the full Brandt audio? The radio host asks him what his evaluation of Haskins was coming out college. He didn't just throw it out there, he was asked about it. But people don't play that part of the audio. If anyone should be criticized (which I don't think anyone should) it should be the guy hosting the radio show asking the questions.  

5 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

In a somewhat related note, there are two famous instances of fighting for control over corpses.

One is the physical struggle in the Parkland Hospital between the staff and the secret service over who would carry out President' Kennedy's corpse. 

The other was the often-physical struggle between NYPD and NYFD over who would carry out the bodies from the 911 wreckage. If it was their man (or woman,) the two sides would have a physical struggle over control of the body that would sometimes turn into the throwing of the fists. 

*Graham Parsons 

• Hook 'Em 1