The Twitter Debate

Neonmoon

He used Trump’s method of smearing people with no facts or evidence, and then ran like a little bitch. I suspect Musk will keep this up until he runs off all of the advertisers, at which time he’ll blame Asperger‘s related depression while feigning contrition.

Charging for blue checks is, in effect, basically a tax on journalists and media outlets that use Twitter. They’re the ones that MIGHT pay for it, because the New York Times doesn’t want me creating a fake Maggie Haberman account that says she saw Trump eating live children.

• Haha 1

I wouldn't mind if twitter went away.  It's great for certain things where very short form is appropriate, like sports or humor.

It's terrible for news and analysis.  Look how many have to string together tweets with numbers, and those can be infuriating to try to read.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 6

28 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Charging for blue checks is, in effect, basically a tax on journalists and media outlets that use Twitter. They’re the ones that MIGHT pay for it, because the New York Times doesn’t want me creating a fake Maggie Haberman account that says she saw Trump eating live children.

And corporations that care about their branding.  It would be a drop in the bucket for most of them.

It would cost me almost a thousand bucks a year to keep the blue checks for the four accounts that have them, and there is no way I’m doing that because it’s not worth it - most of my followers either found my Twitter accounts through the associated websites, subscribed, and then didn’t think about the check, or they found them because they link to stuff they care about or other people who were following them. I’d take the thousand I’d save and just put it into cheap advertising on Google or Amazon and have a better return.

It’s  genius though, because a shit-ton of spammers will happily pay for a blue check.  Of course, it’ll make people stop giving a shit about the blue check and/or not trusting it at all, but short term, Musk could make a lot of money off of it. Don’t know if it’d be enough to offset the loss in advertisers, but Musk strikes me as the type who will fuck around and find out many times because he may not understand how advertising and user engagement work - he clearly doesn’t understand the nuances of not being a dumbass on Twitter and repeating Qanon conspiracies.  

He probably thinks of Twitter like the earlier days of SpaceX when they were trying to perfect the landing of the rocket boosters and had a lot of failures - he probably thinks he can rip through a bunch of policies with Twitter until he finds the perfect one, not understanding that driving advertisers and/or users away in the short term can actually be fairly permanent, and that there are no government contracts waiting in the wings to keep the revenue stream healthy.

His letter to advertisers made me think he was aware of how easy it would be to fuck around and find out, but if he opens up the platform to even more spammers and lets them buy blue checks, yeah he’s got a date with Gritty.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

It's terrible for news and analysis.  Look how many have to string together tweets with numbers, and those can be infuriating to try to read.

Depends on how you view it.  Having slogged through a ton of the strung-out/numbered threads (some running into the dozens of tweets), yeah,it can be a grind.

But it’s also an extremely fast news site/aggregator if you are careful, and there’s nothing currently like it for speed, portability, and accessibility.   I suppose you could follow a few subs on Reddit, or even use Google News (or an alternative aggregator), but it’s still hard to beat for speed. Or go back to using the websites of Reuters, AP, even BBC, CNN, etc., but all of those usually have a lag for everything but the absolute top stories.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I wouldn't mind if twitter went away.  It's great for certain things where very short form is appropriate, like sports or humor.

It’s great for finding new people who produce good content. I’d be perfectly happy going back to reading a lot of the people I follow if they had blogs instead (and it’d be even better for the quality of most of their content), but it would definitely make it a little harder to find new people whose writing I enjoy or simply find helpful or informative.

Another positive aspect of Twitter was that it was really the one place where the wealthy and powerful, who never hear anything in real life except for how brilliant they are, could reveal what idiots they actually are and get ruthlessly dunked on. Of course, that played a large role in why Elon bought the fucking thing, so obviously that was never sustainable in a world with as many billionaires as ours.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Or go back to using the websites of Reuters, AP, even BBC, CNN, etc., but all of those usually have a lag for everything but the absolute top stories.

I never stopped doing this but I've become a bit of a luddite in my early middle age.  Plus I see what's posted on surly.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Depends on how you view it.  Having slogged through a ton of the strung-out/numbered threads (some running into the dozens of tweets), yeah,it can be a grind.

But it’s also an extremely fast news site/aggregator if you are careful, and there’s nothing currently like it for speed, portability, and accessibility.   I suppose you could follow a few subs on Reddit, or even use Google News (or an alternative aggregator), but it’s still hard to beat for speed. Or go back to using the websites of Reuters, AP, even BBC, CNN, etc., but all of those usually have a lag for everything but the absolute top stories.

The speed also makes it easier to spread misinformation. I don’t need speed as much as I demand accuracy. If it means waiting a little bit to hear the correct story, I don’t mind. No method of delivery is flawless but lies travel faster on Twitter than truth does. And every time I see someone say “this is a great thread” about something on Twitter it just grinds my gears. Publish an article or start a blog. I’m not reading a Twitter thread.

I got along just fine keeping informed before Twitter ever came along. If every video posted on Twitter were posted on YouTube, I wouldn’t have much use for Twitter at all. If I don’t hear about breaking news RIGHT NOW and have to wait until later this evening, or tomorrow, it doesn’t make much difference to me. I’m not certain that by and large Twitter hasn’t done more to misinform the public than it has to inform them. Overall I think it’s been a net negative to our society. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

The speed also makes it easier to spread misinformation. I don’t need speed as much as I demand accuracy. If it means waiting a little bit to hear the correct story, I don’t mind. No method of delivery is flawless but lies travel faster on Twitter than truth does. And every time I see someone say “this is a great thread” about something on Twitter it just grinds my gears. Publish an article or start a blog. I’m not reading a Twitter thread.

I got along just fine keeping informed before Twitter ever came along. If every video posted on Twitter were posted on YouTube, I wouldn’t have much use for Twitter at all. If I don’t hear about breaking news RIGHT NOW and have to wait until later this evening, or tomorrow, it doesn’t make much difference to me. I’m not certain that by and large Twitter hasn’t done more to misinform the public than it has to inform them. Overall I think it’s been a net negative to our society. 

Agree.  After the quick release on Twitter I frequently end up spending just as much time checking the accuracy (especially due to the source), seeing what is out of context or edited, and such that other than quickly alerting me to something that was likely going to spread through other means results in me doing the journos job all over again.

I cannot imagine a world in which someone somewhere is not racing to be first with the news/tea, however. Telephone, telegraph, (don't you dare say tell-a-woman as football recruiting message boards are a quick refute that it is wholly gender based) lot of people want that thrill of being the bearer of good or bad news. But I don't have Twitter and use it as a lurker so we'll see how long that lasts with new ownership. It has broadened my scope of who is out there for good reads and words on a variety of topics and that is a positive. But the spread of lies and hate is such an awful counterweight that I will gladly trade social media for going on a knowledge quest of my own. Sometimes, a little more work yields more satisfactory results.

• Hook 'Em 2

I bet a blue check comes with very little as far as perks. 

It comes with tools to boost posts on to timelines of people who aren’t followers and wider reach.

Ever noticed the little section with suggestions on accounts to follow?

And the section on “If you like this tweet, here’s more like it”?

Or the Related Topics section?

There’s a lot of analytic tools available to verified accounts.

3 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Every time Elon makes Twitter shittier Kanye and Kyrie will blame it on the Jews.

Another thing that makes me fucking nuts with Twitter is when images are cut off so I can't understand what is trying to be conveyed without clicking into the actual tweet.  Fuck.  That.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Who the fuck is that?

He's just a current Arizona State Rep who is an election denier and was at the capital on January 6th. He's also a qanon nut and an anti-semite, oh and he's also running for Arizona Secretary of State and says if he loses he won't concede.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Grade of D as in David said:

He's just a current Arizona State Rep who is an election denier and was at the capital on January 6th. He's also a qanon nut and an anti-semite, oh and he's also running for Arizona Secretary of State and says if he loses he won't concede.

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

Fanfuckingtastic

brooklyn-nine.gif

49 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

That piece of shit was featured on a segment 60 Minutes ran last night on election deniers.

• Hook 'Em 1

Twitter’s users are its product for advertisers. Asking the popular content providers to pay for the privilege of using the platform is like charging strippers to dance. (I realize they do that at strip clubs). The difference is most of the blue check marks don’t need to be on the platform, and if they do, are probably against it on principle. Additionally, and most importantly, by allowing anyone to buy a blue check mark, you yourself are deluding the  credibility and purpose of the blue check mark. 

While some think it’s a shrewd business move to raise revenue. One can argue it’s hurting the brand at its core, which in the long run, will erode any short term revenue gains. 

• Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Twitter’s users are its product for advertisers. Asking the popular content providers to pay for the privilege of using the platform is like charging strippers to dance. (I realize they do that at strip clubs). The difference is most of the blue check marks don’t need to be on the platform, and if they do, are probably against it on principle. Additionally, and most importantly, by allowing anyone to buy a blue check mark, you yourself are deluding the  credibility and purpose of the blue check mark. 

While some think it’s a shrewd business move to raise revenue. One can argue it’s hurting the brand at its core, which in the long run, will erode any short term revenue gains. 

I think this is spot on. 

The GQP trolls live for Lib tears.  That's why the other scat sites like Gab, Parler, Truth, etc. don't ever take off - there are no libs to troll.  It won't take too long at this rate for the libs to leave Twitter and then the far right trolls will have no one to troll.  Twitter will bleed out while Elon and his creditors lose a metric fuckton of money.  Yay!

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Blue check and paying $20 should also come with verification services that the info you post is truthful or obvious satire. It actually would be pretty dope for major sources and would give meaning to the blue check again while maintaining a sense of value for the blue check receiver (amplified voice that is backed by Twitter) and the blue check reader. 

Unfortunately it's just a money grab and as Stephen King pointed out its basically a worthless money grab for clout. 

Surly horns couldn't get verified which is absolute horseshit. We had all kinds of articles written about us. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, immamac said:

Surly horns couldn't get verified which is absolute horseshit. We had all kinds of articles written about us. 

Well the site does have an unfortunate habit of harboring actual fascists and allowing them to continually make sock accounts after admin and community bannings

Edit: actually on second thought, twitter does the same thing lmao. Big tech hypocrisy amirite?

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Well the site does have an unfortunate habit of harboring actual fascists and allowing them to continually make sock accounts after admin and community bannings

Edit: actually on second thought, twitter does the same thing lmao. Big tech hypocrisy amirite?

Having terrible opinions and political views is not against the rules. Encouraging people to break the law and actively spewing hate speech is. 

I don't think this site has a disinformation problem. It's not a fascist haven, but if that's what your cup of tea is thats not really banworthy. 

Actively rooting for your team to do bad things that everyone can see are bad even for the person rooting for them is also not against the rules, it's just stupid. Stupid isn't a bannable offense. 

• Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, immamac said:

Blue check and paying $20 should also come with verification services that the info you post is truthful or obvious satire. It actually would be pretty dope for major sources and would give meaning to the blue check again while maintaining a sense of value for the blue check receiver (amplified voice that is backed by Twitter) and the blue check reader. 

Unfortunately it's just a money grab and as Stephen King pointed out its basically a worthless money grab for clout. 

I agree. If the fee was in combination with some kind of service, it would justifiable. But they're not. It's just a money grab to support the bottom line. New management doesn't give a fuck about verifying if the post was truthful or satire. Pretty sure that was confirmed by letting demon sperm doctor back on the platform. 

Edited by Neonmoon