The Twitter Debate

Neonmoon

2 hours ago, G650 said:

I mean, which party in this case do you think benefits most from protracted legal action. I wouldn't say Twitter.

Hard to say.  I suppose they can both afford it.  Metard probably moreso.

But if Elmo is going to bark about having a lawsuit, he can probably have his lawsuit and keep it going for a while.

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Hard to say.  I suppose they can both afford it.  Metard probably moreso.

I guess that's where we differ. Twitter fixing to have trouble paying the electric bill, much less lawyers. Meanwhile Meta is over there Scrooge McDucking it in all their money.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

The attorneys.

26e21c29b366466b337e14517c031e81.gif

Always. But FB has a lot more cash to throw at this than Twitter.

Fixed, since there's the distinct possibility that Twitter's attorneys don't yet realize they may be working pro bono.

And….yeah…my advice is for Twitter’s lawyers to get about a $50 million retainer.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, G650 said:

I guess that's where we differ. Twitter fixing to have trouble paying the electric bill, much less lawyers. Meanwhile Meta is over there Scrooge McDucking it in all their money.

So yeah now they are trying to claw back lawyers fees paid 6 months ago. I can tell you Meta would bleed Twitter dry in a protracted legal battle

So, the money paid to this law firm was for legal fees incurred by the company due to Musk’s attempts to renege on his agreement to buy the company. Now that he owns the company, he is trying to assert that the company’s trying to enforce a valid agreement was due to manipulation of the company by the law firm?

55 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

So, the money paid to this law firm was for legal fees incurred by the company due to Musk’s attempts to renege on his agreement to buy the company. Now that he owns the company, he is trying to assert that the company’s trying to enforce a valid agreement was due to manipulation of the company by the law firm?

Interesting 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

If I read it right, that law firm’s success in court against him was part of the reason he was forced to buy Twitter, so this is him being angry (over Threads?) and lashing out.

9 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

If I read it right, that law firm’s success in court against him was part of the reason he was forced to buy Twitter, so this is him being angry (over Threads?) and lashing out.

There's no way the lawyers could have prepared a legal complaint like that in just a couple of days. Elon's been stressed about money for months and this is just part of it.

On 7/6/2023 at 11:30 PM, TwiceHorn said:

There's a whole lot of ways you can try to insulate yourself from trade secret liability.  But the fact remains that if you hired any significant number of former employees of any significance, you can be on the wrong end of a trade secret dispute for a couple of years.

And, as always, when some rich narcissist shit immediately files a  lawsuit, he or she always seems to be shocked that the other side gets to do a legal colonoscopy of discovery on their own like-to-keep-that-shit-quiet shenanigans.    

Back when the world was new and not as many people communicated via email, my employment racial discrimination suits usually had a happy ending when I got a judge to let my IT expert copy the emails and pictures on the alleged racist’s computer.     You could always bet that what was on there was 10 times worse than the things the employee was complaining about.  Imagine the minds of Tiger Rant 20 years ago - before they got so woke - having discussions about all things race they thought no one was going to see. Good times.  Nice checks. 

It makes me sad that defendants are more sophisticated now.  

Edited by Gatorubet
  • Hook 'Em 1

There's no way the lawyers could have prepared a legal complaint like that in just a couple of days. Elon's been stressed about money for months and this is just part of it.

Really? It looks pretty boilerplate to me

11 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Really? It looks pretty boilerplate to me

What I skimmed is they hunted around the inboxes of the ex-employees for "evidence" of their version of events where the executives were raiding coffers. Don't think that would have been possible in just like two days or however long Threads existed. Which is actually funnier, because it confirms how torn up Elon was about having to actually buy Twitter.

• 2 weeks later...

Asking again for those of you who know the twitter hacks.  I signed up before the midterms to follow some pundits and their predictions.  In the immediate aftermath, maybe made like a dozen posts.  One got me suspended and the next one flat out locked me out/semi-banned/whatever it's called.  Well, I keep waiting 30 days of no activity to go in and cancel/delete the entire account.  But it won't let me, saying that only people with accounts in good standing can delete their accounts.  What kinda weird shit is that first of all?  And second, is there some kinda work-around so I can just be done with them and stop getting emails about my account status and "topics you may be interested in" emails 'n shit?  I even tried blocking their emails but it doesn't work, and I just don't like my name on that fucking website anymore, makes my teeth itch.  Thanks for any tips...

Musk doesn’t know what to do. He’s destroyed Twitter and refuses to look in the mirror:

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/elon-musk-is-rebranding-twitter-to-x-and-killing-the-bird-logo-165944573.html

Elon Musk’s rebrand of Twitter seems to be underway. In a series of late-night tweets Saturday, Musk shared that the company’s famous bird logo and name would soon be no more. The company, it seems, will simply be known as “X.”

“And soon we shall bid adieu to the twitter brand and, gradually, all the birds,” he tweeted. He later said in a Twitter space that the Twitter logo would be changed Sunday. “It should have been done a long time ago, sorry it took so long,” he said.

Later that night, he reportedly emailed employees about the change. According to Platformer’s Zoe Schiffer, Musk emailed staff saying the company would become X and that his note “was the last email he’ll ever send from a Twitter email address.”

Twitter didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

At my rather advanced age, I find one of the few things that bring me joy anymore is watching these spoiled little rich boys go down the tubes.  Call me a crusty old man and enjoy your trip down to Hell for my entertainment.  Bon voyage

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Asking again for those of you who know the twitter hacks.  I signed up before the midterms to follow some pundits and their predictions.  In the immediate aftermath, maybe made like a dozen posts.  One got me suspended and the next one flat out locked me out/semi-banned/whatever it's called.  Well, I keep waiting 30 days of no activity to go in and cancel/delete the entire account.  But it won't let me, saying that only people with accounts in good standing can delete their accounts.  What kinda weird shit is that first of all?  And second, is there some kinda work-around so I can just be done with them and stop getting emails about my account status and "topics you may be interested in" emails 'n shit?  I even tried blocking their emails but it doesn't work, and I just don't like my name on that fucking website anymore, makes my teeth itch.  Thanks for any tips...

Check your handle against https://shadowban.yuzurisa.com/

But yeah, what you are describing is a problem a lot of other people are having, and it's just broke.  I see a shit-ton of broken stuff all the time, because I'm still using it to follow a handful of people/groups (but they have plans for moving away from twitter as well thankfully).

48 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

what happened to stepping down and letting someone else fix his fuckups? was his goal to bomb the platform all along? because that's what is about to happen.

I have a feeling the new CEO didn't sign on for him switching it all over to X.com on a whim, but she should have known.

It's a case of ego - he thought he could swoop in and "save" twitter because a bunch of incels were begging him/fawning all over him.  It didn't work out, he's ready to trash it and move on to "2.0" or whatever.

The amusing thing is that if he had outlined his goals for X.com say a year ago, and then bought twitter to help jumpstart it, a lot of people would be like "that's pretty smart, because a major part of twitter's value is the user base, and he wouldn't be able to buy any user bases bigger than twitter's".  

Instead he's driven off a major chunk of the revenue and the user base, has given plenty of reasons for everybody else to bail when Threads is more feature-complete, and is now trying to half-ass hack some services/website together with what's left of twitter.

I’ve been reading a book about the history of WeWork, and had a major revelation. 

Despite having worked most of my career in startups and with or for VC firms, I never realized that the top VC, Wall Street, and PE firms purposely hitch their wagons to massive narcissistic, serial lying, grifting, psychopaths. Why you ask?

Because they know that the business leader will spout such outrageous garbage publicly that it will spin up just like a Ponzi scheme.

That way the investors can all dump their shares on unsuspecting buyers/investors and get out before it all come crashing down.

You watch, at the end of all this, he and his money buddies will have made a fortune, and someone will be left holding a big bag of doo doo. 

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

just logged in and the bird is gone. X doesn't make sense. guess I will need to read up on his stupid reasoning for the change

same reasoning as an 8th grader making an "X" over his body with the can of axe body spray

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I’ve been reading a book about the history of WeWork, and had a major revelation. 

Despite having worked most of my career in startups and with or for VC firms, I never realized that the top VC, Wall Street, and PE firms purposely hitch their wagons to massive narcissistic, serial lying, grifting, psychopaths. Why you ask?

Because they know that the business leader will spout such outrageous garbage publicly that it will spin up just like a Ponzi scheme.

That way the investors can all dump their shares on unsuspecting buyers/investors and get out before it all come crashing down.

You watch, at the end of all this, he and his money buddies will have made a fortune, and someone will be left holding a big bag of doo doo. 

Dude, that's how all shareholder capitalism works. Fuck making a good product or service, just gotta trick enough rubes into pumping the stock price so you can get next quarter's bonus. Or keep the share price up to enable you to loot the business for spare parts and leave it as a hollowed out husk

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Dude, that's how all shareholder capitalism works. Fuck making a good product or service, just gotta trick enough rubes into pumping the stock price so you can get next quarter's bonus. Or keep the share price up to enable you to look the business for spare parts and leave it as a hollowed out husk

Don't post this to 6th Street. Those CEOs earned that 500 million dollar salary!

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Dude, that's how all shareholder capitalism works. Fuck making a good product or service, just gotta trick enough rubes into pumping the stock price so you can get next quarter's bonus. Or keep the share price up to enable you to loot the business for spare parts and leave it as a hollowed out husk

To some extent, yes, but I’m talking about a focused effort to seek out and find these nut jobs as their main business strategy. At least Jobs was a psychopath who actually did care about building cool products.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Captainant said:

Jobs ain't our current business climate. That dude died more than a decade ago. Product enshittification is all the rage nowadays

I think you might be just a little too bitter about the world. It’s bad, but not that bad everywhere. There are still some people with integrity out there. But I do have to admit I’ve been complaining that it’s hard to find them these days. 

23 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I think you might be just a little too bitter about the world. It’s bad, but not that bad everywhere. There are still some people with integrity out there. But I do have to admit I’ve been complaining that it’s hard to find them these days. 

It's not that people with integrity don't exist - it's that our social contract has been so irreparably undermined by overvaluing shareholders that it's a bit pollyana-ish to expect anything less from any for-profit shareholder entity. Sure, they may not be moustache-twistingly evil right now but that's only because it's not profitable right now

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

just logged in and the bird is gone. X doesn't make sense. guess I will need to read up on his stupid reasoning for the change

1 hour ago, Pig Bellmont said:

He still harbors a lot of insecurities about being pushed out at PayPal and he thinks he can create an American version of WeChat. 

Yup. He wanted PayPal to rebrand as "X.Com", and held onto the site/name for over 20 years for just this moment.