Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

On 7/21/2021 at 7:25 PM, Texasrocks said:

I'd be ecstatic if I was Arkansas right now. They haven't been the same since going to the SEC and A&M joining didn't really help. They'd have more competition for Texas recruits, but bringing back that rivalry would be help them a lot. A&M and OU seem like the biggest losers. Literally and figuratively. 

Accurate.  Huge WIN for the Hogs IMO.  Letting aTm in was a mistake.  Now that ship has sailed and anything to hurt the Big 12 leftovers helps us.  

4 minutes ago, Pancho said:

If you’re talking about us being Texas, I’ve been reading some random message boards and folks in the Big 10 and ACC wants Texas and OU badly.

Damn, hit send before I finished:  So others might know more than I do, but I think Texas and ou are gone no matter what.  We aren’t returning to the 12.  We are going somewhere but it ain’t the big 12. 

This is correct. But I don’t think we’ll be taking 11th hour offers. We’ve made up our minds. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pancho said:

If you’re talking about us being Texas, I’ve been reading some random message boards and folks in the Big 10 and ACC wants Texas and OU badly.

Damn, hit send before I finished:  So others might know more than I do, but I think Texas and ou are gone no matter what.  We aren’t returning to the 12.  We are going somewhere but it ain’t the big 12. 

I don't think we make a move to the SEC without ESPN saying that's fine, we will work out the LHN and give you the money you need. The Big 10 can't offer that. They can offer money but they can't offer what's necessary to make this not be a larger financial burden for our administration. The ACC could but not to the same extent and that distance is not worth it. The money isn't there like it is for the SEC. The ACC is only has big boy football with 2 school: Clemson and Florida State. That's not enough to make this big a move. 

Additionally, I'll add that reportedly OU was fine with leaving because they're tired of Fox 11am kickoffs. The Nebraska game, which should be a bigger deal, is an 11am kickoff in September. That made the Sooners very angry. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

I don't think we make a move to the SEC without ESPN saying that's fine, we will work out the LHN and give you the money you need. The Big 10 can't offer that. They can offer money but they can't offer what's necessary to make this not be a larger financial burden for our administration. The ACC could but not to the same extent and that distance is not worth it. That's big boy football with 2 school: Clemson and Florida State. That's not enough to make this big a move. 

Another conference offering is more money doesn’t help if it’s imbalanced. That’s the same resentment that schools used as an excuse to leave when we were waxing their asses. 

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

Since he has protected his tweets and for some reason I can still see them, I figured the OGs in this thread would enjoy the return of our favorite doesn't know shit about anything but acts like he's an insider guy from Appalachia. The one, the only...MHVer3

Hver3  @MHver3

14m

I have awakened from my slumber to bring you what I have gleaned from my sources inside WVU. Not much is being said at this time but I can confirm that Gee and Lyons have reached out to both the B10 and the ACC.

Hver3  @MHver3

13m

Ok state and WVU reached out together to the ACC and there appears to be interest there on their end.

Hver3  @MHver3

12m

B10 pretty much shut us down and the feeling here is that ISU and KU are the targets they would desire from our group (assuming they don’t attempt an ACC poach of UNC and UVA).

MHver3  @MHver3

10m

It does seem like little cliques are forming with the remaining 8 trying to abandon ship. The sad thing for most is that the Pac isn’t interested in expansion. At least that is what is being said now.

Hver3  @MHver3

7m

There is a very real chance that none of the 8 find a home and must back fill with others. The consensus amongst at least 4-5 of the ADs and Presidents seems to that adding 4 gives them the best chance to retain at least a good chunk of their current tv value

MHver3  @MHver3

5m

Of course some are saying that this is the first step in a total breakaway from the NCAA for at least the SEC and B1G

So TLDR: it’s fluid

Edited by jTower

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Another conference offering is more money doesn’t help if it’s imbalanced. That’s the same resentment that schools used as an excuse to leave when we were waxing their asses. 

I'm meaning the finances necessary to pay out the almost 80 million to get out of the Big 12 and fold up the LHN. I have no doubt ESPN is happy with all of this because it takes one more channel off their plate 10 years before it had to wrap up. 

20 minutes ago, TexasFan21 said:

Source?

UT used outside counsel to complete the LHN deal.  They’re using the same group to help get out of it with minimal financial damage.  It’s very common knowledge that institutions do it like this.  Nothing sinister, just how life works.  You can easily figure out the firm to which refer.  My only point was now they this box is being checked; I think we are now In the green zone 

12 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

All he would tell me is that there were some meetings this week where this was specifically mentioned but lots of moving parts. More of a “I could see it once ou/tx move and the ripple effect afterwards”, but this is obviously not legit at this point. 

The Big 12 is going to end up like a ‘70s rock band or R&B group that is still touring today with none of their original members.  Or maybe, the Big 12, featuring Kansas State, performing tonight at the Bell County Expo Center!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

If Texas/OU started engaging the SEC months ago that would have to mean A&M wasn't involved correct? Certainly A&M would have leaked this much earlier if they were involved in this process.

If so, that's hilarious to me. Not only did the SEC let Texas join the conference they were likely working behind A&M's back to get it done. 

If this started months ago and A&M was involved what would be the reasoning behind not leaking it? I don't think A&M had any clue there were discussions with OU/Texas until very recently. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

If you’re going to make fun of something you should at least have your facts correct. Baylor University is affiliated with the Baptist General Convention of Texas not soMe “First Baptist”.  Just about every city and town in Texas has a First Baptist Church, but none are affiliated with the University.

Username...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

If Texas/OU started engaging the SEC months ago that would have to mean A&M wasn't involved correct? Certainly A&M would have leaked this much earlier if they were involved in this process.

If so, that's hilarious to me. Not only did the SEC let Texas join the conference they were likely working behind A&M's back to get it done. 

If this started months ago and A&M was involved what would be the reasoning behind not leaking it? I don't think A&M had any clue there were discussions with OU/Texas until very recently. 

Pour yourself a nice cocktail of aggy tears and enjoy.

• Haha 1

I’m fucking tired of reading stories and comments about how Texas is a terrible conference partner and killed the SWC and Big 12.
SMU, TCU and A&M killed the SWC by being fucking morons about openly giving cars and massive bags of cash to recruits in ways that brought NCAA scrutiny. Most of the league ends up on probation and can’t be on TV. To put the nail in the coffin, Arkansas leaves for the SEC and the conference is dead. How was that Texas’s fault?
With the Big 12, Missouri gets on its knees and begs to join the Big 10. Nebraska leaves because it can’t beat Texas on the field without partial qualifiers and tailbacks who drag girlfriends by the hair down staircases. Colorado leaves for the PAC 10 because they never liked being in the Big 8. 

Texas tried extremely hard to save the Big 12. We invited A&M to participate in a Texas sports network. It’s not our fault they were too fucking stupid to say yes. When Beebe said the conference payouts don’t need to be shared equally, Texas said that wasn’t necessary. A&M forced the unequal payouts and then left the next year over the LHN.
Pin this one!
  • Hook 'Em 1

Whatever comes from all this, this big 12 season is going to be crazy. If we're leaving every team being left behind is going to be pissed and out for blood when they play us. If we end up staying, which I don't think is going to happen, they will be out to prove a point. Either way, there will be extra motivation every game. 

That’s assuming every decent player doesn’t hit the transfer portal as soon as this is finalized. And that’s a pretty big assumption, at least for the teams that don’t quickly find a new home at a P5/4/3/2 or whatever this turns out to be

From the comments section of the Frank the Wank blog (some may remember it from the previous rounds of realignment), perhaps a Neb board originated the USC/Oregon/UCLA/Colo approaching the B1G rumor.  So maybe some interesting tidbits, or maybe fan fiction crap:

https://frankthetank.org/2021/07/21/red-river-realignment-texas-and-oklahoma-talk-to-the-sec/

wscsuperfan

From a Nebraska message board. Take it FWIW:

——————————————————-

If you recall, back in February the Third Wiseman came in with a report that the BIG expansion sub-committee had met for the first time in almost 24 months…

Today he checked back in with all the happenings…

“Amazing few months on the expansion front. Earlier this year I told you how the BIG had started looking again at expansion as a viable model and was examining potential targets. What I hadn’t gone into was “why” that it had started to emerge as a hot topic. The genesis of that was a report that predicted the impact of the Streaming Services on broadcast rights and the desire of Amazon and Apple to dominate these areas over the next decade.

With these new players emerging the belief is that ultimately college football will be controlled by super conferences outside of the control of the NCAA–and that “first movers” in the efforts to re-vamp expansion will reap big rewards–as they will have de-facto control over this rapidly changing environment.

In late March, the BIG was contacted by The Montag Group who presented the concept of Texas and Oklahoma joining the BIG. The Montag Group now has Jim Delany as a partner, so this shouldn’t be all that surprising. However, what was surprising is that the BIG was not immediately receptive to this idea–mainly because they felt that Oklahoma was not a good fit academically and from a research perspective—and as they weren’t an AAU member they didn’t enhance the vision that the BIG has for the future of new expansion candidates.

Texas is clearly the prize in that twosome, but they felt they would/could only move with Oklahoma as a partner—so despite the BIG’s interest in the Longhorns the combination was too much for them to swallow.

Where it gets interesting now–however—is the interest of some PAC schools who see the writing on the wall and are desperately clawing for a spot with one of the mega conferences.

So who does this mean?

Well it means Oregon, Colorado, UCLA and USC are all VERY interested…..and all have made direct overtures to the BIG about membership…..

all four of them are AAU Members—all have fine research credentials and more than solid athletic programs.

This would also complete Delany’s dream of BIG football from “coast to coast”….

stay tuned as a LOT will be breaking in the very near future….”

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Okie State pres:

I might seriously be in love.

1 hour ago, TeeDubya said:

Guess what Madame President Sunshine?  You don't get to call all the shots.

Where in any of that statement do you think she’s trying to call any shots? It literally “Fuck OU” and we’ll do what we can for ourselves. I thought you guys would appreciate the former.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 3

Whatever comes from all this, this big 12 season is going to be crazy. If we're leaving every team being left behind is going to be pissed and out for blood when they play us. If we end up staying, which I don't think is going to happen, they will be out to prove a point. Either way, there will be extra motivation every game. 
No team has ever needed extra motivation playing the horns, the great satan narrative no spans generations. Having said that, this season will be an epic shitshow as far as officiating...worse than ever.