Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

23 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

OU & UT changed the game mayne... (aggy didn't make Penn State get scared in the shower stalls to look at ACC, did they..?)

Not a chance in hell. The Big 10 isn't losing members. Before the Texas OU move, they were the kings of revenue. They'll still be miles ahead of the ACC. That's silly wishcasting. 

Just now, mdmost said:

Not a chance in hell. The Big 10 isn't losing members. Before the Texas OU move, they were the kings of revenue. They'll still be miles ahead of the ACC. That's silly wishcasting. 

But it is entertaining for ACC fanboys 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

Hmm... Not disagreeing with logic, but: if Disney can pull Notre Dame/ Ohio State/ Michigan/ Penn State/ West Virginia/ +1, that's massive in pay...

Is the thinking that Texas is going to take a loss upfront to be made up long-term by increasing the size of the SEC pie? There has to be more to the story. I get where we don't want to get paid more by ESPN than the other conference schools for conference-related business, but that wouldn't include getting paid an early exit fee by ESPN for LHN, would it? ESPN would then rebrand it as one of two SEC networks and use both to sell subs to ESPN+ or their cable networks.

Why stop at two 20 team or four 16 team conferences?  Why not be preemptive and avoid possible (anti-trust) and other government interference litigation??  Why not generate a ton of money to pay players in this new NIL universe???  Why not get rid of the NCAA and solve realignment in one fell swoop????    I don't know but may be this would be a start.

At the end of 2020 there were 128 FBS schools in ten conferences and Independents.  Once the Big XII in cannibalized as you outlined, dissolve the Sun Belt conference too and incorporate their members and the five Independents into four other 16 member conferences.  Like this:

Independents - Army, UMass, Liberty, and New Mexico St join the AAC; along with Kansas St to form a sixteen member AAC

Texas State, Louisiana, UL Monroe leave the Sun Belt for Conference USA to make sixteen

Troy, South Alabama, and Arkansas St leave the Sun Belt and join the Mountain West along with Independent BYU adding up to sixteen

Coastal Carolina, Appalachian St, Georgia St, and Georgia Southern leave the Sun Belt to join the Mid-American for sixteen

Then the 8 Super Conferences quit the NCAA and form a new 128 member organization (like the old CFA).  Each conference can then auction off television rights to the highest bidders.  ESPN, Fox, CBS, NBC, ABC, TBS, etc., will all drive up television revenue bidding on conference television packages.   Playoffs are the 12 best teams selected by committee.   Tie the Bowls in with conference CCGs and the playoffs and the quality games will generate mega television and Bowl payouts.  The conferences can also leverage other sports to drive up television revenue.

Almost everyone would not have a legitimate complaint about this set up because of the money it would generate and the fact that everyone is included.  Then College Football will look like this:

PAC 16

USC
UCLA
Stanford.
California
Washington
Washington St
Oregon
Oregon St

Arizona
Arizona St
Utah
Colorado
Oklahoma St
Texas Tech
TCU
Baylor
Big 16

Ohio St
Michigan
Michigan St
Penn St
Indiana
Purdue
Rutgers
Maryland

Nebraska
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Iowa
Northwestern
Illinois
Kansas
Iowa St
SEC

Alabama
Georgia
Florida
Auburn
Tennessee
South Carolina
Kentucky
Vanderbilt

Texas
Oklahoma
LSU
Arkansas
Texas A&M
Missouri
Mississippi
Mississippi St
ACC

Clemson
Florida St
Miami
Georgia Tech
North Carolina
North Carolina St
Duke
Wake Forest

Notre Dame
Boston College
Syracuse
Louisville
Pittsburgh
Virgin Tech
Virginia
West Virginia
AAC

Cincinnati
UCF
East Carolina
Temple
Navy
Army
Massachusetts
Liberty

Tulsa
Memphis
SMU
Houston
Tulane
Southern Florida
Kansas St
New Mexico St
USA

Marshall
Florida Atlantic
Western Kentucky
Charlotte
Middle Tennessee
Florida International
UAB
Southern Mississippi

UTEP
UTSA
North Texas
Rice
Louisiana Tech
Texas State
Louisiana
UL Monroe

Mountain West

San José State
Boise State
Nevada
San Diego State
Hawaii
Fresno State
Air Force
Wyoming

New Mexico
Colorado State
Utah State
UNLV
BYU
Troy
South Alabama
Arkansas State
Mid-American

Buffalo
Kent State
Miami (OH)
Ohio
Akron
Bowling Green
Toledo
Ball State

Western Michigan
Central Michigan
Eastern Michigan
Northern Illinois
Coastal Carolina
Appalachian State
Georgia State
Georgia Southern

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Speedway said:

Why stop at two 20 team or four 16 team conferences?  Why not be preemptive and avoid possible (anti-trust) and other government interference litigation??  Why not generate a ton of money to pay players in this new NIL universe???  Why not get rid of the NCAA and solve realignment in one fell swoop????    I don't know but may be this would be a start.

At the end of 2020 there were 128 FBS schools in ten conferences and Independents.  Once the Big XII in cannibalized as you outlined, dissolve the Sun Belt conference too and incorporate their members and the five Independents into four other 16 member conferences.  Like this:

Independents - Army, UMass, Liberty, and New Mexico St join the AAC; along with Kansas St to form a sixteen member AAC

Texas State, Louisiana, UL Monroe leave the Sun Belt for Conference USA to make sixteen

Troy, South Alabama, and Arkansas St leave the Sun Belt and join the Mountain West along with Independent BYU adding up to sixteen

Coastal Carolina, Appalachian St, Georgia St, and Georgia Southern leave the Sun Belt to join the Mid-American for sixteen

Then the 8 Super Conferences quit the NCAA and form a new 128 member organization (like the old CFA).  Each conference can then auction off television rights to the highest bidders.  ESPN, Fox, CBS, NBC, ABC, TBS, etc., will all drive up television revenue bidding on conference television packages.   Playoffs are the 12 best teams selected by committee.   Tie the Bowls in with conference CCGs and the playoffs and the quality games will generate mega television and Bowl payouts.  The conferences can also leverage other sports to drive up television revenue.

Almost everyone would not have a legitimate complaint about this set up because of the money it would generate and the fact that everyone is included.  Then College Football will look like this:

PAC 16

USC
UCLA
Stanford.
California
Washington
Washington St
Oregon
Oregon St

Arizona
Arizona St
Utah
Colorado
Oklahoma St
Texas Tech
TCU
Baylor
Big 16

Ohio St
Michigan
Michigan St
Penn St
Indiana
Purdue
Rutgers
Maryland

Nebraska
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Iowa
Northwestern
Illinois
Kansas
Iowa St
SEC

Alabama
Georgia
Florida
Auburn
Tennessee
South Carolina
Kentucky
Vanderbilt

Texas
Oklahoma
LSU
Arkansas
Texas A&M
Missouri
Mississippi
Mississippi St
ACC

Clemson
Florida St
Miami
Georgia Tech
North Carolina
North Carolina St
Duke
Wake Forest

Notre Dame
Boston College
Syracuse
Louisville
Pittsburgh
Virgin Tech
Virginia
West Virginia
AAC

Cincinnati
UCF
East Carolina
Temple
Navy
Army
Massachusetts
Liberty

Tulsa
Memphis
SMU
Houston
Tulane
Southern Florida
Kansas St
New Mexico St
USA

Marshall
Florida Atlantic
Western Kentucky
Charlotte
Middle Tennessee
Florida International
UAB
Southern Mississippi

UTEP
UTSA
North Texas
Rice
Louisiana Tech
Texas State
Louisiana
UL Monroe

Mountain West

San José State
Boise State
Nevada
San Diego State
Hawaii
Fresno State
Air Force
Wyoming

New Mexico
Colorado State
Utah State
UNLV
BYU
Troy
South Alabama
Arkansas State
Mid-American

Buffalo
Kent State
Miami (OH)
Ohio
Akron
Bowling Green
Toledo
Ball State

Western Michigan
Central Michigan
Eastern Michigan
Northern Illinois
Coastal Carolina
Appalachian State
Georgia State
Georgia Southern

I'd complain pretty loudly if I was the pac. TCU and Baylor? Ew

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Is the thinking that Texas is going to take a loss upfront to be made up long-term by increasing the size of the SEC pie? There has to be more to the story. I get where we don't want to get paid more by ESPN than the other conference schools for conference-related business, but that wouldn't include getting paid an early exit fee by ESPN for LHN, would it? ESPN would then rebrand it as one of two SEC networks and use both to sell subs to ESPN+ or their cable networks.

The primary idea is the Big 12 splinters and there’s no buyout at all, but even if that doesn’t happen, Texas wouldn’t be taking a loss by paying the buyout and leaving 3 years early. They’d make that money up and also probably be able to settle with the Big 12 and avoid the full buyout anyways. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I have a sneaking suspicion that the B12 is t going to die, and so this will go the legal/negotiated buy route.

We all talk about schools poaching the Tagalong 8, but which ones move the needle enough to make the move worthwhile?
Can you justify expansion to USC and UCLA by saying TT and OSU will bring in more $$?
Does bringing in KU, ISU or OSU fly with Minnesota or Michigan, knowing that those inclusions won’t increase the payout and will finally kill the dream of landing ND?
How do you sell WVU to the rest of the ACC, knowing they are only “valuable” for a group of 3 geographic rivals.

Yeah... I keep wondering why 16 is a magic number. Why do the others have to follow if they can't poach great programs?

6 hours ago, GTX Horn said:

Evidently this is a move by the SEC powers that be meant to cripple the great Jimbo and prevent aggy football from becoming the fully operational Death Star they were clearly on track to becoming. Pooooooooor aggy

51554CD8-CCE4-4795-9BE6-4BC67F259AC1.jpeg

Wow, the persecution complex with this bunch is over the top.

Alabama, Auburn, Florida, LSU, and the rest of the SEC absolutely do not give two shits over the fact that aggy has improved somewhat since Jimbo took the helm.  Even if Jimbo did the impossible and got aggy a natty, they would all still get paid the same either way.

This is a business deal.  Adding Texas and OU to the conference means that even more benjamins will be flowing into their everyone's accounts.  And rest assured, the SEC blue bloods like benjamins more than anything else.

But as usual, aggy has to make it all about them.  It just validates all the little brother stereotypes that we have been saying all along.

Edited by orangebird

2 minutes ago, orangebird said:

Alabama, Auburn, Florida, LSU, and the rest of the SEC absolutely do not give two shits over the fact that aggy has improved somewhat since Jimbo took the helm.

I'm sure Saban is really worried after only beating aggy by 28 last fall.

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Maybe I dreamed this, because I can’t find any link to it, but I recall a&m only receiving a partial share their first year or so in the SEC.

If this was the case, and OU/Tex both negotiate to receive full shares their first year that would be glorious.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Don't think so.  That is what contributes to SEC stability.  All paid the same from the get go and you do not have exit fees if you want to leave.  Just say I am gone and everyone would wave goodbye.  But I would ask Georgia Tech before I ever left.  Getting voted back in seems to be a little difficult.

Nebraska, Maryland, etc.  faced less pay entering the B1G.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, orangebird said:

Alabama, Auburn, Florida, LSU, and the rest of the SEC absolutely do not give two shits over the fact that aggy has improved somewhat since Jimbo took the helm.  Even if Jimbo did the impossible and got aggy a natty, they would all still get paid the same either way.

This is a business deal.  Adding Texas and OU to the conference means that even more benjamins will be flowing into their everyone's accounts.  And rest assured, the SEC blue bloods like benjamins more than anything else.

But as usual, aggy has to make it all about them.  It just validates all the little brother stereotypes that we have been saying all along.

Most other programs have something other than an "SEC" identity to lean on. aggy has incredibly little of importance to differentiate them from other programs than their SEC membership. Sumlin had to initially depend on making clear to recruits that he didn't believe in enforcing conduct standards. That helped. Being a large SEC safety school for athletes has been big for them lately.

In reality, what does aggy have now to set themselves apart from OU, LSU or UT? An opportunity to experience a white supremacist indoctrination camp first hand?

Wanting to harpoon aggy's recruiting wasn't a motivating factor for bringing UT and OU in, but it certainly is an externality of the deal. Quite clearly, Sankey was willing to negatively affect the trajectory of one program (aggy) to serve the interests of the bigger conference. In the long run, it is in aggy's best interest to go along, but no aggy is aware enough to see part their own nose. Which is why aggy has been historically inept at both managing their university and their athletics department.

• Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, orangebird said:

Agree but also don't underestimate the SEC's willingness to cut down programs who fly too close to the sun. A&M has taken their recruiting to a new level of cheating and they're starting to do it with prospects from GA, AL, LA, etc, encroaching on the power schools' turf. I'm sure Saban, Kirby, and O don't appreciate the going rates getting driven up by a bunch of goober aggies. 

Ole Miss can vouch.

54 minutes ago, DiceHands said:

Why?  Fuck those schools.  Esp Okie Lite.  Fuck all of those people. They want to talk shit about us, horns down, say we are arrogant, this and that all the fucking time.  They act like they can do it on their own.  Well then, time to put up or shut up.  

The big 12 has treated us like fucking garbage for the past 10 years.  This is what they get when they dont recognize what we did for that conference and those schools.  Time for them to learn the hard way.

Adios you fucks

The definition of Fuck Around and Find Out.

• Hook 'Em 3

34 minutes ago, Chopper said:

ESPN has to pay us for the LHN regardless till 2031 unless we voluntarily kill the contract. That money goes to the SEC as we sign away our tier 3 rights when we join the SEC. The LHN folds into an SEC 2 Network or just goes away entirely since everything's going to ESPN+ eventually. I'd imagine our exit fee is then covered by the SEC. OU has their own tier 3 deal with Bally's that ends in 2022 I believe. Then when 2023 hits, the ABC/ESPN contract is 60-70 million a year per school. There's also a thought that ESPN will buy out the remainder of the CBS SEC Game of the Week deal that ends in 2023. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Agree but also don't underestimate the SEC's willingness to cut down programs who fly too close to the sun. A&M has taken their recruiting to a new level of cheating and they're starting to do it with prospects from GA, AL, LA, etc, encroaching on the power schools' turf. I'm sure Saban, Kirby, and O don't appreciate the going rates getting driven up by a bunch of goober aggies. 

Ole Miss can vouch.

But we’re not Ole Miss. 

Agree. A few times in this thread I’ve misread ACC as AAC and vice versa. It really doesn’t make a difference either way. Both are at-best second tier conferences at this point.

5 hours ago, Candi Fisther said:

To be injected directly into your cock veins

https://www.si.com/college/2021/07/24/texas-am-cant-escape-sec-shadow-longhorns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now, the next commissioner of the SEC—and the rest of the league—seems prepared to ignore their wishes and serve them a humbling reminder of their place in the college athletic hierarchy.

The messages to that effect are clear. SEC message No 1: We like you, Texas A&M, but we love the idea of Texas in our league.

The Aggies have done what they can to slow the train that is prepared to run them over, refusing to let this stealth power play unfold behind closed doors.

28 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

LOL, Hi is this Dr. Dipshit from OleMiss?  I'm Dr. ChiTownDumbAss, I happen to be a Sooner.  I'm sure you've heard the big SEC news.  How do you think we can collaborate?  I was told this is what we should all be doing.  And I do everything I'm told because I'm a dipshit.  

i'll give you a call this week

we have something to discuss

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, GTX Horn said:

Will somebody please think of the children!?!?!?

2 hours ago, GTX Horn said:

Will somebody please think of the children!?!?!?

8D17FDCD-CAE1-48D1-BED4-944DF77DE5A8.jpeg

So futile! 
1. You piss off lege staff with a bunch of form-letters. 

2. An intern enters it into CMS where it is never seen again

3. Might get a vague letter or email that goes like this: Thank you for contacting my office concerning blah, blah, blah……

These people are clueless

Edited by Penche Gringo
Sp error

1 minute ago, RDCanecutter said:

Why Ah say ah say Good Mawnin, Suh. I am gladdified and heartigasted to welcome all y'all Sooner bwahs to our lil ol' conference. Especially y'all from the Great State of Oklahoma. Ah would dearly love to collaborate. Y'see, (like always) the evil overarchin Fedral Gummint has seen fit to intersert itself into we proud Missippians PUHSONAL BIDNESS, such as how we vote, who we prosecute, and which innocent useful medicines we prescribe to our patients. Why just last week them Feds "intercepted" some useful meds that I bought on the FREE MARKET from a Meskin gennleman in Nuevo Laredo. Looks like some of my most upstandin patients are fixin t'git all twitchified and sandankerous, unless they get a little boost, a little taste, just a soupcon so to speak...

...of some of that famous Oklahoma lab-created finest.

Reckon y'all could help? I'd rightly approximate it.

Boomuh Soonuh.

God damn it. Now I feel like an idiot making fun of the whole idea.  I will be blindly reaching out, in the hopes of having this exact conversation. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

i'll give you a call this week

we have something to discuss

That’s not how it works.  It simply won’t work between us.  You have to reach out to FL/GA or Vandy if you wanna push your luck.  I have to go with OleMiss/MSU and whatever others have sub 80 IQ’s.  Godspeed.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

God damn it. Now I feel like an idiot making fun of the whole idea.  I will be blindly reaching out, in the hopes of having this exact conversation. 

Please do! And come on down to the Deeuh Camp with us this Fall, we'll knock back a beverage, watch a game, then we'll hire somebody to give the trackin hounds a run through the swamp for ol times sake.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, DiceHands said:

Why?  Fuck those schools.  Esp Okie Lite.  Fuck all of those people. They want to talk shit about us, horns down, say we are arrogant, this and that all the fucking time.  They act like they can do it on their own.  Well then, time to put up or shut up.  

The big 12 has treated us like fucking garbage for the past 10 years.  This is what they get when they dont recognize what we did for that conference and those schools.  Time for them to learn the hard way.

Adios you fucks

Yep.  Especially after that amateur hour shit with the yellow bars on their score board when we’re attempting a FG and trying to blame it on technical issue.   And screw that shithole stadium in Stillwater.  Piece of shit is a hazard with the grandstands basically within a  few. feet of the sidelines with zero distance between the players and grandstands.   With all the money T Boone dumped in that hole, you think they could have moved back the first few rows of seats.

And let’s not forget Ref gate in Austin 2015.   F them and the Big 12 Refs forever for that obvious collusion. 

Screw  you Okie State.  Hope you all end up in the NAIA 

• Hook 'Em 1