2023 Transfer Thread - Texas Capitalized, ATM Victimized

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

The thing that's crazy to me about Ian Boyd is that he is actually employed and paid for his shit takes, and paid and employed by some people I respect, to boot.

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah, I don’t get it. Scipio was having him on his pod pretty regularly too. Maybe they’re like us and they don’t even read what he writes. I mean the guy’s analysis article on the PK hiring was that BJ Foster was a great fit as a single high safety in PK’s scheme. I don’t know how anyone who even casually follows the program could think that makes even a lick of sense. How do you put that guy out there as the X’s and O’s expert for IT? 

I did like his youtube live appearance where he was asked which player he fantasizes about switching positions this season. (spoiler: Malik to TE))

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I view this as impossible. I can’t even fathom how bad hearing him would have to be in order to match his futility and volume with the written form. 

the way he looks on camera, sitting on his sofa.. gives me chills (not in a good way).. I hear there is a serial assaulter around lady bird lake.. I find it highly unusual that attacks happen when Ian Boyd is NOT on a live Youtube show for IT... just saying.

image.png.320cee1cc1d5dba62afb2c7ea8579fa2.png

3 minutes ago, CashMcCoy said:

I knew this was going to happen.. if anyone listened to his mom rants on Twitter spaces this past season, you could easily put 2 and 2 together.  She would throw Worthy, Marion, Sark under the bus for not giving her son more PT.  She also would get in on Quinn for not targeting her son when he did play.. I got blocked from her because on the space I told her QE was looking for him but Brenan couldn't get separation at the LOS..

I know aggy came hard for him during his recruitment but I doubt he ends up there because she also hates Evan Stewart and also thinks Cook will be a diva like Worthy and him.

Maybe Clemson?

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Viper said:

I did like his youtube live appearance where he was asked which player he fantasizes about switching positions this season. (spoiler: Malik to TE))

Was this the same video he predicted Jett Bush to be the most dangerous pass rush  threat next year at linebacker?

10 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

guess the writing on the wall is very clear heading into the Spring game this week

Best time to get below 85. I assume you want to be at 82-83 for this portal window which gives you 2-3 spots for that. If you aren’t at 85 at fall just reward a walk on. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

5 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Sure seems like our most vocal recruiting ringleaders rarely make it to their third year recently.

That’s been the curse since the Chance Mock days and white linebackers committing early always seem the most egregious.  

That’s one reason I really wanted to sign Drew Sanders-I think Texas is due.  

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

His only elite football trait.

He's a tough kid, but it's hard when you aren't fully focused and that's the only way you'll find success. 

Why be decent at multiple things when you can be elite at one? Focus is a very valuable thing.

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Sure seems like our most vocal recruiting ringleaders rarely make it to their third year recently.

Reggie Hemphill-Mapps is somewhere throwing darts at a board with a picture of Drew Mehringer's face on it.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Haha 4

51 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

We can all rationalize away the exit for Thompson, but he could very well go somewhere else and be a standout. Marion had him in the doghouse because of his route-running. Sarkisian was fine with it because "he doesn't know the playbook". Awesome. He was a true freshman. You can't teach his speed. He left the 2022 with a less than positive outlook and then the new WRC didn't get a chance to know him well due to track. 

I'm of the opinion that trapdooring him is ill-conceived. I won't be surprised if he goes somewhere like Tech or TCU and makes a living making catches that Worthy fucked up all last season long. If he doesn't? Fine. 

Nonetheless, if there is one position that is always going to have plenty of players in the portal, it is WR. Bunch of fucking prima donnas. There will always be a ton of star power in the portal, unlike some other spots, so if the money is right, everything will be fine. Also, Moore and Cook have a lot of people excited about the depth chart and Thompson was falling behind in absentia.

Agree with this assessment. He's fast and he plays physically for his size. Track may slow down his development, but that was part of it from the start. Would people complain if Duce came then followed through on playing baseball? Staggering development curves isn't a bad thing regardless. We could end up a bit thin in 2024 but it's too early to start worrying about that. At least we won't have to face him if he goes to a TCU/OSU/Tech/etc. 

Also, I've updated the sticky with the latest developments.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Bodacious Bevo said:

Agree with this assessment. He's fast and he plays physically for his size. Track may slow down his development, but that was part of it from the start. Would people complain if Duce came then followed through on playing baseball? Staggering development curves isn't a bad thing regardless. We could end up a bit thin in 2024 but it's too early to start worrying about that. At least we won't have to face him if he goes to a TCU/OSU/Tech/etc. 

Developmental curves are ok, when the player recognizes it. From his mom's tweets their camp thought he was a star being held down by the man.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

We can all rationalize away the exit for Thompson, but he could very well go somewhere else and be a standout. Marion had him in the doghouse because of his route-running. Sarkisian was fine with it because "he doesn't know the playbook". Awesome. He was a true freshman. You can't teach his speed. He left the 2022 with a less than positive outlook and then the new WRC didn't get a chance to know him well due to track. 

I'm of the opinion that trapdooring him is ill-conceived. I won't be surprised if he goes somewhere like Tech or TCU and makes a living making catches that Worthy fucked up all last season long. If he doesn't? Fine. 

Nonetheless, if there is one position that is always going to have plenty of players in the portal, it is WR. Bunch of fucking prima donnas. There will always be a ton of star power in the portal, unlike some other spots, so if the money is right, everything will be fine. Also, Moore and Cook have a lot of people excited about the depth chart and Thompson was falling behind in absentia.

I was refering Trevell Johnson

3 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Who was that 240 pound center that all the idiots tried to get people fired up about as a recruiting bell cow?  That seemed like the worst cycle ever. 

1 minute ago, 6th Street said:

Understandable. Thompson could go some place like K State or CU and be the featured WR. He was going to get like 5 catches here this year at best

We were happy when we got him but we needed him last year and Q kept throwing it to the guy with the broken hand instead of anyone else on the team. He did not step up when the door was open and now with the new talent and track he has an uphill battle he is not willing to take on. Wish him luck and when you want to be a Longhorn and you yourself created no drama you will always be a Longhorn.

4 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

With the portal and the offensive year Texas seems poised to have, I doubt it.

Thompson has elite speed and that’s about it.  He’s an athlete that played QB in high school.  His route running, blocking, and pass catching needed work.  Bobby has mentioned plenty of times that it would be a huge learning curve for a guy like him coming from a small school that isn’t used to having darts thrown at him at live speed.  Cook and Moore are better than him in every aspect except elite speed.  I wish he was on the team but he wasn’t going to get many reps.  There’s 7 dudes ahead of him right now.  And he skipped spring practice.  With the way Sark can recruit WRs out of high school and portal, you better produce early or you will get recruited over.  

Edited by victory88