2023 Transfer Thread - Texas Capitalized, ATM Victimized

closetojumping

4 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

With the portal and the offensive year Texas seems poised to have, I doubt it.

Well, we’ve got the three freshmen, two attrition candidates (Cain and Alexis), and two guys hoping to go to the league (Neyor and Mitchell). We probably return five. Not great but adding a guy like Micah Hudson helps obviously. 

We’ll be an attractive spot for transfers but impact players are expensive and we’ll have other holes to fill. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, DanTheHorn said:

@closetojumping Jaydon Blue is on the sticky as out. Is that still the case with all the praise he is getting from players? I would hate to lose that guy, I think he could be a very good back for us.

58 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

that was probably just me or someone else forgetting to take him off

Right. He announced that he was testing the portal this winter, Texas told him that if he entered he was gone, and he got religion and didn’t enter the portal. Not saying he won’t this spring, but he was on the surly list because of his prior bullshit, I assume. 

31 minutes ago, GTJ1982 said:

Hate to see him leave. He was one of my favorite players during the 2022 cycle. Shocking 2022 guys are already jumping ship.

They're getting passed up at practice by the new recruits who are just better. They see the writing on the wall. 

Thompson is fast as shit, and talented enough to be a star somewhere, maybe everywhere. He played sparingly at wr last year, and got slightly disgruntled. But he chose to pursue track, which was always part of the deal with him, fine. But he needs reps at wr to hone the basic shit, and while he was doing track he got passed by young studs who are already more polished. 

It’s easy to say we can get more portal WRs, true. And we can recruit more studs, true. But there simply aren’t many studs OR portal players that run 10.22. It’s a loss, and potentially a big one. But with his attitude and commitment to track, it’s hard to see how this dynamic wasn’t the most likely the entire time. Maybe if we hadn’t gotten Whittington back and signed Mitchell. But what situation would you prefer?

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 5

7 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

They're getting passed up at practice by the new recruits who are just better. They see the writing on the wall. 

He isn't agile or fast enough for LB. And at ED, our weakest position by far, he is behind pretty much every scholarship player on the roster. He hasn't put on weight and can't hold the edge and his pass rushing hasn't even been very good. Satya can't even work up the strength to bitch about him being processed and sent on his way.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Do you really need a lot of practice to run fast?

May 16, 1987, Columbia, SC  —  As Will Ferrell said in Talladega Nights…”that just happened”.  That’s how everyone felt when Deion Sanders cemented his legend at the Metro Conference Championships in 1987.  The Metro would occasionally host the championships for all the spring sports over one weekend and in the same location and the University of South Carolina was the spot that spring.  Deion was playing baseball and running track and the Seminole were in the middle of the Metro baseball tournament with a double-header facing them against Southern Miss in the morning and Cincinnati that night.  As fate would have it, the dominant FSU track program was having a closer than normal run for the Metro Championship and a pivotal 4 x 100 meter relay would probably determine the conference champs.  FSU track coaches had planned to run the relay without Deion, but knew they needed him and when it was clear that there was a chance Deion could run between games, they sent word to the USC baseball field to find Deion.

Here is where the “that just happened” moment came.  Fortunately, the baseball field and track complex were nearly adjacent at South Carolina.  Deion literally ran over to the track in his baseball uniform, jumped into a track uniform.  Word spread to the baseball field about what Deion was trying to do and his baseball teammates climbed the outfield fence to what the race.  Deion flew down the track managing to both receive and pass the baton perfectly and FSU won the race and secured the Metro title.  Deion threw his baseball uniform back on and ran to the baseball complex managing to finish his day with a home run in FSU’s 6-3 win over the Bearcats that night.

That is a fact.

https://seminoles.com/wilson-report-deion-sanders-top-moments/

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GTJ1982 said:

Hate to see him leave. He was one of my favorite players during the 2022 cycle. Shocking 2022 guys are already jumping ship.

Shocking is the wrong word bro. More like totally and completely expected. 
I completely believe- going forward- that a typical class of 25 dudes will see something like 5 guys leave after year 1 and 15 guys leave by the end of year 2. Maybe 10 or 11 after year 2 if the class really hits and the coaches want to keep most of the class around.  
we should be looking to take 25-30 guys every year (portal and high school). If we are healthy and rolling we should be losing 3-5 guys to the NFL after 3 years, Graduating 10-15 every year, and seeing 10–15 guys that can’t cut it and have clearly been passed on the depth chart by someone younger. There are 85 scholarship guys so that means basically 4 guys per spot. If you are at 4th on the depth chart and the new incoming freshman showed up and is better than you, even after a year- it’s probably time to move on and the coaches probably welcome that and should. 
This is the flip side to professionalizing the game. The NFL has 53 man rosters. The NCAA has 85 scholarships. Think of year 1 as an extended training camp to see if the young guys suck. If they do move them out in favor of someone better. 
This will be the way. 
Thompson is the closest we’ve come to losing someone that might hurt to the portal and I think he’s still on the meh side of the line. 
I looked at the roster before these moves and saw 12 guys I’d yawn at losing and that was after we ran off what- 10 or 12 this winter?  

Edited by Wulaw Horn

39 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Shocking is the wrong word bro. More like totally and completely expected. 
I completely believe- going forward- that a typical class of 25 dudes will see something like 5 guys leave after year 1 and 15 guys leave by the end of year 2. Maybe 10 or 11 after year 2 if the class really hits and the coaches want to keep most of the class around.  
we should be looking to take 25-30 guys every year (portal and high school). If we are healthy and rolling we should be losing 3-5 guys to the NFL after 3 years, Graduating 10-15 every year, and seeing 10–15 guys that can’t cut it and have clearly been passed on the depth chart by someone younger. There are 85 scholarship guys so that means basically 4 guys per spot. If you are at 4th on the depth chart and the new incoming freshman showed up and is better than you, even after a year- it’s probably time to move on and the coaches probably welcome that and should. 
This is the flip side to professionalizing the game. The NFL has 53 man rosters. The NCAA has 85 scholarships. Think of year 1 as an extended training camp to see if the young guys suck. If they do move them out in favor of someone better. 
This will be the way. 
Thompson is the closest we’ve come to losing someone that might hurt to the portal and I think he’s still on the meh side of the line. 
I looked at the roster before these moves and saw 12 guys I’d yawn at losing and that was after we ran off what- 10 or 12 this winter?  

Trevell Johnson

Brennen Thompson

Derrick Brown

Sawyer Goram-Welch

Max Merril

Charles Wright

BJ Allen - Maybe

Jaden Alexis

54 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I think I disagree with both you and @closetojumping (although I don't remember what he said). Thompson may end up being great at another school but his path here at Texas is pretty murky. If Niblett, Cook, and Moore have good years, if anyone comes back, if we sign Hudson or another star, and/or if we pick up a transfer, where does that put Thompson on the depth chart? And I am sure Thompson is going to run track again this year so he wouldn't be improving all that much.

Edited by Bevo

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Trevell Johnson

Brennen Thompson

Derrick Brown

Sawyer Goram-Welch

Max Merril

Charles Wright

BJ Allen - Maybe

Jaden Alexis

Will stone 

the deep snapper that didn’t start but is on scholly

Larry Turner Gooden

Jett Bush

Kris Ross

Blue

That’s 14. Thompson wouldn’t have been on my initial list of 12 but he literally was the cut line  

I suspect that of this list of 14 players at most you’d find one guy at the end of their college careers where you said- dang- that could have  been useful if he stuck around  

I expect this year and every year that we will be happy with the portal and consider what we got superior to what we lost  

Tell me who I’m wrong about or why we’d be an idiot for losing one of these guys  

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Will stone 

Larry Turner Gooden

Jett Bush

Kris Ross

Blue

That’s 14. Thompson wouldn’t have been on my initial list of 12 but he literally was the cut line  

I suspect that of this list of 14 players at most you’d find one guy at the end of their college careers where you said- dang- that could have  been useful if he stuck around  

I expect this year and every year that we will be happy with the portal and consider what we got superior to what we lost  

Tell me who I’m wrong about or why we’d be an idiot for losing one of these guys  

Why Kris Ross and Blue? By all accounts so far Kris Ross has done well at his new position and Blue seems to be doing well so far. LTG is one of those guys who you wait a few years for and see what he can bring, not every recruit you bring is is going to be ready to go immediately.

Jett Bush I think is on a year to year scholarship so if there is a year where we need to get a scholarship back it would be him or Taeffe. That is why i didn't list him. 

I don't agree with your special teams analysis as Stone is the only kicker on campus who can consistently reach the end zone on kickoffs. If he can get his accuracy down on field goals then he'd overtake Auburn but Auburn is currently more consistent. There are multiple other schools who have long snappers on scholarships that are elite programs so I don't see an issue with that either.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Will stone 

Larry Turner Gooden

Jett Bush

Kris Ross

Blue

i think the other Long Snapper left already? Edwards? St Louis is on scholarship. edit: yes, Edwards. he entered portal in January

for sure i think one of LTG or Allen leave. the Ross stuff went away some vs before, but i think that was all from the boards not sourced info.

Blue should be on every list until the last day of the period. dude is a flake. talented guy, but a flake and nothing he has done has taken away from that (announcing he was entering the portal then withdrawing before he entered? lol)

Merril isn't going anywhere. this has been made clear a million times and BOW, if he had any reading comprehension, would understand it.

other potential names: X'Avion Brice? at least one OL? one of the QBs (Wright? Murphy? Lourd?)

Edited by NoName

23 minutes ago, NoName said:

i think the other Long Snapper left already? Edwards? St Louis is on scholarship. edit: yes, Edwards. he entered portal in January

for sure i think one of LTG or Allen leave. the Ross stuff went away some vs before, but i think that was all from the boards not sourced info.

Blue should be on every list until the last day of the period. dude is a flake. talented guy, but a flake and nothing he has done has taken away from that (announcing he was entering the portal then withdrawing before he entered? lol)

Merril isn't going anywhere. this has been made clear a million times and BOW, if he had any reading comprehension, would understand it.

other potential names: X'Avion Brice? at least one OL? one of the QBs (Wright? Murphy? Lourd?)

Its guys who SHOULD leave that is why Merril continually gets listed. Everyone knows what CTJ has said but that doesn't mean he can't be listed on what Wulaw and I are talking about. Just glad that now with Flood we don't have to worry about some  dog shit OL kid being on scholarship just because of his parents wealth and not being pushed out.

Brice by all accounts in the IT videos is having a good spring as well.....Lourde isn't on scholarship so idk why you even mentioned him. Wright is the obvious answer at QB.

40 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Are we…..worrying about the numbers?

Nah, just talking about some bottom of the roster dead weight.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Not that I mind having Lourd around as the 5th QB and not using up a scholarship, but didn't he have legit offers out of high school? LSU I think. It's always been a weird deal. 

I remember reading that he was related to Jim Bob Moffett.  Grandson maybe?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

I remember reading that he was related to Jim Bob Moffett.  Grandson maybe?

He's from enormous power and wealth. I don't see why anyone would have an interest in him leaving. It's idiotic. He doesn't use a scholarship, he's from a family of donors, and one or both of his parents are powerful people in the entertainment arena, which might not matter or could be a benefit down the line, especially if he goes to work in the same space as an alum and friend of the program.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

He's from enormous power and wealth. I don't see why anyone would have an interest in him leaving. It's idiotic. He doesn't use a scholarship, he's from a family of donors, and one or both of his parents are powerful people in the entertainment arena, which might not matter or could be a benefit down the line, especially if he goes to work in the same space as an alum and friend of the program.

I know his family is wealthy, they literally have a practice field in their backyard.. He had video clips of his workouts there that were shared on this board

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Same people probably bitched about wasting a scholarship on Kyle Shanahan.

• Hook 'Em 1

I find it encouraging that we aren’t hearing of Texas targeting LB in the portal.  Hints that they may be fine with Hill, Lefau, Blackwell, and/or Gbenda playing a lot.

If that’s the case, then this roster could probably use one more good experienced DL but otherwise I don’t see any weaknesses from a talent/experience/depth perspective.

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Red Five said:

He ended the season as the starter.

That’s good I guess. Remember- I said 12 guys would be met with a yawn. 
if your deep snapper isn’t met with a yawn you are doing this wrong. Same with a scholly kicker that doesn’t actually kick. I’m not telling them to pack their bags and get out- I’m just saying it’s not a big deal one way or another  

23 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Google is your friend.  I don't think that's his dad. 

Lourd and actress Carrie Fisher were in a relationship from 1991 to 1994.[2] Their relationship ended when he left her for a man after realizing he was gay.[9] They have one daughter, actress Billie Lourd, born in 1992.[4][10][11]

Lourd married Bruce Bozzi, the former co-owner of The Palm (now owned by Landrys Restaurants),[4] on October 12, 2016, and Lourd legally adopted Bozzi's daughter, Ava.

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Wright will probably be someone that departs after he graduates. He was an early enrollee and is entering his 3rd year, so that could come next May.

I would be shocked if Wright leaves. I see getting Grad degree and then settling in to work in Austin afterwards. His family are UT grads, he is from Austin etc etc

I would be blown away if he left UT to be a starter at some lower level D1 school, he decommited from ISU to come to Texas knowing he would never play.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gordon Shumway said:

Google is your friend.  I don't think that's his dad. 

Lourd and actress Carrie Fisher were in a relationship from 1991 to 1994.[2] Their relationship ended when he left her for a man after realizing he was gay.[9] They have one daughter, actress Billie Lourd, born in 1992.[4][10][11]

Lourd married Bruce Bozzi, the former co-owner of The Palm (now owned by Landrys Restaurants),[4] on October 12, 2016, and Lourd legally adopted Bozzi's daughter, Ava.

Damn, you're right (obviously). I think his dad is a big-time financial services guy, not agent, so I should have known I was offbase.

EDIT: Found him: https://lourdmurray.com/blaine-lourd.html

Given that they're both from New Iberia, I'm thinking he's Bryan's brother.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

This, with Deandre Moore and Cook coming in and pushing for immediate PT it was going to be really hard for Thompsen to get back in the rotation after missing spring. He was so fucking fast though, sucks that we couldn't have given him a package to get him more involved. 

If Alexis bolts, we will have gone from a WR room very shallow at the top and deep at the bottom, to one with seven main guys who will all play a bunch, and that's pretty much it. 

Worthy, Mitchell, Whit, Cain, Neyor, Cook, Moore. Niblett when he gets here. Am I missing anyone?

46 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

This, with Deandre Moore and Cook coming in and pushing for immediate PT it was going to be really hard for Thompsen to get back in the rotation after missing spring. He was so fucking fast though, sucks that we couldn't have given him a package to get him more involved. 

Does anyone know how UTwuz on IT is handling all this Deandre Moore news and discussion?

54 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

And Niblett ran a 10.41 last year so he isn't slow.

3 hours ago, Red Five said:

If Alexis bolts, we will have gone from a WR room very shallow at the top and deep at the bottom, to one with seven main guys who will all play a bunch, and that's pretty much it. 

Worthy, Mitchell, Whit, Cain, Neyor, Cook, Moore. Niblett when he gets here. Am I missing anyone?

Having 7 guys who can play is a more  than most schools have. That’s plenty and we have some really elite talent in that room. 

• Hook 'Em 1