Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning

Parliament

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I haven’t watched a single MI movie all the way through since the original.

I tried to watch 6 for the awesome action sequences, but within the first 10 minutes the bad guys detonated nuclear weapons in Mecca, Jerusalem, and the Vatican. For any rational person, this is probably the end of the world as we know it. Nope, Ethan and Ving Rhames show up to interrogate 1 of the bad guys like nothing happened.

The first one was a gripping spy thriller with cutting edge action sequences. Then they just kept making more. 

I’m concerned Dead Reckoning’s runtime is 2 hours and 43 minutes. That’s just too long. And the film is going to run into the 2 headed monster of Barbie and Oppenheimer next week. I think it’ll have a good opening weekend and then nobody will ever talk about it again. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

22 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I tried to watch 6 for the awesome action sequences, but within the first 10 minutes the bad guys detonated nuclear weapons in Mecca, Jerusalem, and the Vatican. For any rational person, this is probably the end of the world as we know it. Nope, Ethan and Ving Rhames show up to interrogate 1 of the bad guys like nothing happened.

lol, so you turned it off after 15 minutes? You might want to go re-watch that part.

• Haha 5

9 hours ago, mchookem said:

opens this Wednesday, which seems...odd 🤔

but looking forward to it, think we'll be able to see it opening day. 

lots of non-comic book movies with potential coming this year👍

I was going to go last night to see it, but my mother stayed an extra week (Very glad she did!) so I am probably going to see this on Wednesday instead. I am sure it’ll be fun.

I rewatched MI6 last night. I remembered nothing about it other than Rebecca Ferguson is smoke.  I can't tell you anything about 1-5 either. These movies are completely enjoyable and completely forgettable at the same time. I did like that they have all this info they couldn't possibly have to just move the plot from A to B and they then reference this with Tom asking smokeshow "who told you this?!?!?"  "I CAN'T TELL YOU!!!"

• Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The first one was a gripping spy thriller with cutting edge action sequences. Then they just kept making more. 

I’m concerned Dead Reckoning’s runtime is 2 hours and 43 minutes. That’s just too long. And the film is going to run into the 2 headed monster of Barbie and Oppenheimer next week. I think it’ll have a good opening weekend and then nobody will ever talk about it again. 

Are you trying to flood the zone with terrible takes?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

His questioning of the box office power of TC also raises a brow. Not like the guy has made $8.5 billion as a lead actor in cinema.  But maybe he's right and middle america will flock to that FILM about a scientist in the 1940s or the surrealistic satire from an arthouse director about a girl's toy. No way can Tom Cruise be more inviting to the masses than those two options.

• Haha 5

Surprisingly no.  

Ok.  .

No real spoilers but just to be safe 

Spoiler

Its fucking action packed as you would expect. 

I wish some of the minor characters were better actors.  I think that's something that 007 does much better than MI.  I wish they hadn't killed off Alec Baldwin a couple of movies back.

Hayley Atwell is throwing 102.  

It could cut about 15 minutes as far as I'm concerned.

Stunts are great.

Chase scenes are great too.

Premise is terrifying. 

I like Esai Morales. I think he shouldve been in more stuff.  but I would've preferred someone elsein his role.

The actresses are all smoking hot.  

Its worth seeing in a theatre imo and it doesn't waste time.  everyone understood the assignment.  

I love Tom Cruise movies especially when he doesn't venture too far from what he's good at.  Be Maverick. Be Ethan.

4 for 4 on trailers. Excited to see all of them.  

Equalizer 3. Yes please.

Oppenheimer.  

Killers of the flower moon.

Bob Marley movie. One love. Looks like it has a chance

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I rewatched 1, 2, 3, and 4 recently.  I still love 1.  2 was very meh.  3 was great becuase PSH makes an amazing bad guy.  4 I really enjoyed, and thought that was almost like a reboot as they sort of reset things at that point.  

Will rewatch 5 and 6 this weekend, as the next two movies kind of finish the arcs that those started.  

Have tickets to IMAX at Lincoln Center on Sunday morning.  Good way to start a Sunday.

gotDAMN now that was a movie!

Cruise is a fucking cultist nutter but geezus does he know how to make a movie.

not really any spoilers but just in case...

Spoiler

his running has advanced to next level 😄

all the close space fighting was unique.

kudos for featuring lots of awesome badass women.

sentient AI angle seems very topical. we're in for it lol.

somewhere along the way Shea Whigham became like the busiest man in Hollywood, he pops up in everything!

the train scene was insane!

it was long but i never felt it. when's part 2?? 😄

Edited by mchookem
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 7/11/2023 at 5:52 PM, Post Oak said:

Surprisingly no.  

Ok.  .

No real spoilers but just to be safe

23 hours ago, mchookem said:

gotDAMN now that was a movie!

Cruise is a fucking cultist nutter but geezus does he know how to make a movie.

not really any spoilers but just in case...

it was long but i never felt it. when's part 2?? 😄

Saw it yesterday afternoon and it's a really fun movie. Pretty much agree with everything in the spoilered posts above. Was concerned about the run time walking into the theater, but it didn't feel that long to me. There's enough action to keep your attention the whole time.

5 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Not reading the thread to avoid spoilers, but how many of the predecessors do I really need to see before seeing this in theaters? I’ve seen 1 a few times (including in theaters as a little kid), and 2 at least once. No others.

You'll be fine. I tend to watch movies and forget about them the moment I walk out of the theater. I didn't rewatch any of the MI movies ahead of time and while I'm sure I missed some references that a hardcore fan would have notices, I didn't feel like I missed anything.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Not reading the thread to avoid spoilers, but how many of the predecessors do I really need to see before seeing this in theaters? I’ve seen 1 a few times (including in theaters as a little kid), and 2 at least once. No others.

Man, you've missed the best ones!  I particularly liked both 5 and 6, though 6 is my favorite of the lot.  I've rewatched through 4.  Will rewatch 5 and 6 before Sunday.

This was a really cool movie to watch and I normally don’t like people that randomly talk during the movie, but one scene where he was running for what seemed like forever got some funny remarks from some people in the row in front of me. A lot of people clapped at the end as well. It was just a fun movie that needs to be experienced in a theatre setting. As others have said, Cruise may be a nutty Scientologist, but the guy makes some awesome movies and pulls off some incredible stunts.

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

So this is a massive box office bomb - interesting. 

hmmm it seems to be right in line with other MI openings - second best of the franchise. not as high a Maverick for sure, but i'm not sure 'massive box office bomb' is accurate lol.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/mission-impossible-dead-reckoning-box-office-opening-1235536975/

https://variety.com/2023/film/box-office/mission-impossible-7-projected-opening-weekend-tom-cruise-1235670840/

covid delays seem to have increased the price tag though...it will take a bit longer to recoup those costs. doing well overseas.

does explain why it (weirdly) opened on a Wednesday.

ETA also interesting that GenX seems to be his bread and butter... makes sense but im not sure i would have necessarily thought that specifically 😄

Edited by mchookem

9 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

I can't believe I'm saying this but Haley Atwell made Rebecca Ferguson look plain.

1 hour ago, Brandywine said:

Haley looked good. A knockout! All the women in the movie were beautiful, but Haley stood out for sure. 

Absolutely Definitely GIF - Absolutely Definitely Exactly GIFs

Spoiler

She'll make a great replacement for Ferguson in the last movie.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just got back. Loved it. Tom delivers yet again. The man just wants to make sure the audience is thoroughly entertained at his popcorn flicks.

I chuckled at the end of the credits when this line popped up

Paraphrasing. The filmmakers would like to assure you that the Spanish Steps in Rome were in no way harmed during the making of this production

Also, bummed Rebecca Ferguson is out but I'd imagine her acting plate is pretty full right now

Edited by mdmost

Saw it today.  It was very good. Fast pace from begin to end made me not realize the lengthy run time.  Great stunts, humorous moments, smoking hawt women, Ving doing his bit with Pegg doing his.  Henry Czerny is still the undisputed champ of douchiest mofo that you’d love to strangle with one of his own unraveled testicles.  

Infinitely better than any John Wick film.

Worth the time and money. 

Edited by deadshank

Saw it last night and loved it. That’s how you make an action movie, and Tom Cruise does it as well as anyone.

We rewatched the other MI movies leading up to this and I was happy I did, but definitely not necessary and Dead Reckoning can stand on its own.

I loved the Venice scenes, especially the fight on the bridge. The entire train sequence was fantastic as well.

Lots of gorgeous women in this movie and they each played their roles very well. Looking forward to seeing more of Atwell, but also bummed about…you know.

For being 2h43m, it never dragged for me. I didn’t want it to end.