January 6th Committee Hearings Thread of Dominance

Longhorn_Fan68

On 6/18/2022 at 3:48 PM, washparkhorn said:

“Donald Trump and his allies and supporters are a clear and present danger to American democracy.” - Distinguished Conservative Jurist J. Michael Luttig 

I know what scene comes next in the movie...

Clear And Present Danger (3/9) Movie CLIP - Motorcade Ambush (1994) HD GIF  | Gfycat

26 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

I want a pony. I want it for free, and I urge myself to immediately figure out how to achieve this. 

I think the only solution to your issue is to steal said pony from someone else.  That way it's free and you get it immediately.  That's all I got. 

23 hours ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

The ABC News-Ipsos survey published on Sunday found that 58 percent of respondents said Trump should be criminally charged, while 40 percent of respondents said Trump should not face charges.

https://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-talk-shows/3529190-more-americans-say-trump-should-face-charges-in-connection-with-jan-6-poll/

This will be the 2024 election as well.  Too bad we probably won't see the actual results if the Rs are in power.

22 hours ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

The ABC News-Ipsos survey published on Sunday found that 58 percent of respondents said Trump should be criminally charged, while 40 percent of respondents said they have paid zero attention to the 1/6 hearings.

https://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-talk-shows/3529190-more-americans-say-trump-should-face-charges-in-connection-with-jan-6-poll/

fify

6 hours ago, Satchel said:

“You can always count on Americans (such as Mike Pence) to do the right thing – after they’ve tried everything else.”

Mike Pence will never do the right thing when it comes to speaking out against Trump even though Trump was trash talking him while his goons were out to kill him. And Trump’s rhetoric hasn’t changed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The AZ GOP Speaker of the House will appear before the J6 Committee tomorrow. Here’s what he said a month before the bloody insurrection:

The Trump legal team has cited McPherson v. Blacker (1892), to claim that the legislature can “resume the power [to appoint electors] at any time.” And it is true that the Arizona Legislature could alter the method of appointing electors prospectively. But it cannot undo the election of electors whom the voters already voted for. As the Supreme Court made clear in Bush v. Gore (2000), “[w]hen the state legislature vests the right to vote for President in its people, the right to vote as the legislature has prescribed is fundamental.”
No election is perfect, and if there were evidence of illegal votes or an improper count, then Arizona law provides a process to contest the election: a lawsuit under state law. But the law does not authorize the Legislature to reverse the results of an election.

As a conservative Republican, I don’t like the results of the presidential election. I voted for President Trump and worked hard to reelect him. But I cannot and will not entertain a suggestion that we violate current law to change the outcome of a certified election.
I and my fellow legislators swore an oath to support the U.S. Constitution and the constitution and laws of the state of Arizona. It would violate that oath, the basic principles of republican government, and the rule of law if we attempted to nullify the people’s vote based on unsupported theories of fraud. Under the laws that we wrote and voted upon, Arizona voters choose who wins, and our system requires that their choice be respected.

Forty years ago next month, President Ronald Reagan reminded us that while the “orderly transfer of authority” is a “commonplace occurrence” for Americans, “[i]n the eyes of many in the world, this every-4-year ceremony we accept as normal is nothing less than a miracle.” Now, Americans are being reminded once again never to take for granted what President Reagan correctly described as “the continuity which is the bulwark of our Republic.”

• Hook 'Em 2

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/jan6-eastman-trump-committee-investigation-pardons-1371419/

With the Justice Department and Jan. 6 committee taking a close look at Donald Trump’s efforts to overturn the 2020 election, he and his cronies could certainly use a fall guy, and it looks like they’ve found their patsy: right-wing lawyer John Eastman.

Eastman worked for Trump as the attorney devised legal strategies to overturn the election to keep the outgoing president in power. But, in recent weeks, Trump has confided to those close to him that he sees no reason to publicly defend Eastman, two people familiar with the matter tell Rolling Stone. The ex-president is also deeply annoyed with Eastman and all the negative “attention” and media coverage that the lawyer’s work has brought Trump and his inner sanctum, including during the ongoing Jan. 6 hearings on Capitol Hill.

Furthermore, to those who’ve spoken Trump about Eastman in recent months, the ex-president has repeated an excuse he often uses when backed into a corner, as investigators confront him with an associates’ misdeeds: He has privately insisted he “hardly” or “barely” knows Eastman, despite the fact that he counseled Trump on taking a string of extra-legal measures in a bid to stay in power and wrote the so-called “coup memo,” which laid out the facsimile of a legal argument for reversing Trump’s election defeat.

Spoiler

Behind closed doors, Trump will occasionally ask questions about Eastman’s fortunes, including bluntly inquiring: “Is [John] going to jail?” according to a source who has heard the former president say this. But publicly, Trump has stayed silent. Over the past several months, Trump has been strongly advised by lawyers and several associates not to openly discuss Eastman or his work — and to personally avoid the man altogether, according to three sources familiar with the matter. At this time, Trump, his legal advisers, and various political counselors would prefer to cut ties with Eastman and keep their distance, in a perhaps vain attempt to build a firewall between the lawyer who enthusiastically pitched strategies for delegitimizing the 2020 election outcome and the ex-president who repeatedly sought his help.

“It has been repeatedly communicated to the [former] president that he should not even bring up Johnny Eastman’s name because he is maybe the most radioactive person [involved in this] when it comes to…any so-called criminal exposure,” a source with direct knowledge of the matter says. “Johnny does not have many friends in [the upper crust of] Trumpworld left, and most people loyal to the [former] president are fine with him being left out on his own, to deal with whatever consequences he may or may not face.”

Indeed, the infamously garrulous Trump has publicly kept his mouth shut about Eastman, a lawyer whose work became integral to the scandalous efforts to nullify President Biden’s 2020 victory. (Trump even considered Eastman as counsel for his post-insurrection impeachment.)

Nowadays, in the top ranks of MAGAland, there’s a clear attitude towards Eastman (“Johnny,” as some Trump advisers derisively call him): He might be going down. So be it, as long as he doesn’t take anyone else down with him. 

Eastman and a Trump spokesperson did not respond to requests for comment from Rolling Stone.

Eastman has become an increasing focus for the January 6th committee for his role in spearheading many of the Trump campaign’s efforts to overturn the election. Exhibits posted by the committee last week included excerpts of a deposition by Trump White House attorney Eric Herschmann in which he described a heated confrontation with Eastman the day after the insurrection where he told Eastman to “get a great fucking criminal defense lawyer” because “you’re going to need it.”

Shortly afterward, Eastman emailed fellow Trump lawyer Rudy Giuliani to say: “I’ve decided that I should be on the pardon list, if that is still in the works.”

“Any time you give legal advice and then feel compelled to ask for a pardon, it probably wasn’t good legal advice,” says Steven Groves, formerly a lawyer and then a spokesman in Trump’s White House.

In a nod to growing calls by the January 6 committee for a criminal investigation of Trump’s actions around the election, Trump released a 12-page statement, which The New York Times reported contains the seeds of a potential defense against criminal allegations that the former president attempted to thwart the transfer of power while knowing he had legitimately lost the election. The document cites a range of wild-eyed theories, including 14 references to the bogus election fraud conspiracy documentary 2,000 Mules, but it does not mention Eastman or his work that the former president relied on to make the case that his efforts to overthrow the election were within the law.

Eastman, a former clerk for Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas turned conservative constitutional law professor, was first welcomed into Trump’s orbit during the penultimate year of Trump’s term in office. Trump, enamored of Eastman’s skepticism of the birthright citizenship afforded by the constitution, increasingly came to rely on the attorney’s crackpot views of election law as the the odds of overturning Biden’s 2020 election victory grew longer. On behalf of Trump, Eastman authored briefs for the Supreme Court to intervene in the election in Trump’s favor — both ultimately discarded by the justices.

When the Supreme Court ultimately shut the door on Trump’s attempts to leverage the courts to stop the democratic transfer of power, Eastman took up the mantle of cobbling together a legal rationale for why, in blatant violation of the constitution, Vice President Mike Pence somehow had the authority to stop the counting of electoral votes on January 6.

But the idea that Eastman is becoming something of a fall guy for Trump and various Republicans’ efforts in 2020 and early 2021 is now so prevalent in influential conservative circles that it’s now being acknowledged by some of the former president’s favorite right-wing media stars.

“How many lawyers did Trump have? He had several…And John Eastman has turned into the fall guy,” Mark Levin, a Fox News and radio host, said on-air last week. “He’s a lawyer, he’s an advocate for the [former] president. Whether you agree with his legal judgment, his legal findings, or not, it’s what lawyers do.” (According to a New York Times report last year, Levin is indirectly responsible for landing Eastman in then-President Trump’s inner orbit — simply due to the fact that Trump had seen the attorney on a 2019 episode of Levin’s program.)

On Trump’s social media forum, Truth Social, the former president has remained silent about Eastman — even as he’s come to the defense of other aides and supporters now under scrutiny for their efforts to wage a coup against Joe Biden. In fact, Trump has “Truthed” about Elon Musk’s spat with Twitter, the Johnny Depp and Amber Heard trial, and the PGA tour — but hasn’t posted even a fleeting defense of Eastman.

When the FBI arrested Trump’s former trade advisor Peter Navarro for defying a subpoena from the committee, the former president thundered with outrage that “our great trade genius, Professor Peter Navarro, was just handcuffed, shackled, and put in jail.” Ginni Thomas, whose efforts to overthrow Biden’s victory in Arizona, received similar encouragement from Trump when The Washington Post uncovered her emails urging legislators there to ignore the voters’ will and proclaim Trump the state’s victor. Thomas, Trump wrote after the Post story, is a “Great American Patriot, the wonderful wife of Justice Clarence Thomas” who “fought for Voter Integrity in the Great State of Arizona.”

On Trump’s personal website, where the former president hosted written statements after his ouster from Twitter and before the launch of Truth Social, he’s been similarly mum. Eastman’s name appears on the site only twice, in hosted copies of the Supreme Court election briefs he authored in 2020.

Despite multiple stories about the January 6th committee’s interest in Eastman, however, Trump’s thumbs have remained unmoved on the subject of his onetime attorney’s fate. On Truth Social, where the former game-show host has offered a running commentary on the committee’s hearings, Trump has not once mentioned Eastman who, as president, he had once hailed on Twitter as a “Brilliant Constitutional Lawyer.”

Trump aides have remained similarly quiet on the subject of Eastman. His spokeswoman Liz Harrington has not mentioned the campaign lawyer since a tweet on January 6, when she hailed his speech at the rally on the mall “explain the rigged voting machine system that corrupt politicians kept in place for the GA runoffs.”

• Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, Satchel said:

The AZ GOP Speaker of the House will appear before the J6 Committee tomorrow. Here’s what he said a month before the bloody insurrection:

Forty years ago next month, President Ronald Reagan reminded us that while the “orderly transfer of authority” is a “commonplace occurrence” for Americans, “[i]n the eyes of many in the world, this every-4-year ceremony we accept as normal is nothing less than a miracle.” Now, Americans are being reminded once again never to take for granted what President Reagan correctly described as “the continuity which is the bulwark of our Republic.”

If Reagan were alive, he'd be dismissed as a RINO today.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

A Hollywood RINO. 

I wonder what percentage of voters know that Reagan was from California.

Just now, henrygandorf said:

so 10am pt tomorrow?  the last one started at 7am my time which seems like an odd business strategy.

i guess they've got the west coast vote locked up.

Why don't they put these damn things on the same time each time if they want people to watch them?

1 minute ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

A Hollywood RINO. 

I wonder what percentage of voters know that Reagan was from California.

and reagan was a dem in the 50's and early 60's if i have my years right.  then the gop got a hold of him and he really liked what they were selling.

a republican who can win california is virtually unstoppable.  just like a dem that can win texas.  of course one of those two is not anywhere close to happening.

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

and reagan was a dem in the 50's and early 60's if i have my years right.  then the gop got a hold of him and he really liked what they were selling.

It was all that rabid anti-communist crap. Reagan never got off of that. 

3 hours ago, Satchel said:

The Trump legal team has cited McPherson v. Blacker (1892), to claim that the legislature can “resume the power [to appoint electors] at any time.” And it is true that the Arizona Legislature could alter the method of appointing electors prospectively. But it cannot undo the election of electors whom the voters already voted for. As the Supreme Court made clear in Bush v. Gore (2000), “[w]hen the state legislature vests the right to vote for President in its people, the right to vote as the legislature has prescribed is fundamental.”
No election is perfect, and if there were evidence of illegal votes or an improper count, then Arizona law provides a process to contest the election: a lawsuit under state law. But the law does not authorize the Legislature to reverse the results of an election.

As a conservative Republican, I don’t like the results of the presidential election. I voted for President Trump and worked hard to reelect him. But I cannot and will not entertain a suggestion that we violate current law to change the outcome of a certified election.
I and my fellow legislators swore an oath to support the U.S. Constitution and the constitution and laws of the state of Arizona. It would violate that oath, the basic principles of republican government, and the rule of law if we attempted to nullify the people’s vote based on unsupported theories of fraud. Under the laws that we wrote and voted upon, Arizona voters choose who wins, and our system requires that their choice be respected.

Fuck Ronald Reagan. And fuck Peggy Noonan who filled the actor's mouth with niceties to cover the dreadful direction the nation took when he was president. He was the smiling face stretched across the hate engine. A useful idiot.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I think the only solution to your issue is to steal said pony from someone else.  That way it's free and you get it immediately.  That's all I got. 

seinfeld-i-had-a-pony.gif

Edited by NWBuck
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

It’s incredible. Reagan, HW, W, Cheney, McCain, Paul Ryan, Romney. People these cocksuckers put in power are now all the sudden RINOs. Unreal. Must be nice to just not claim the very people you put in power as if us leftist did it. Christ fucking Nixon seems like an honorable man compared to what we’ve seen the last few years 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

He was also a spokesman for GE and decided that corporate profits were really important. The Dems were anti-Communist too.

Oh no doubt, but the R’s were just better at the rhetoric and the marketing and that’s what drew Reagan to them.

The committee just needs to hammer home that Trump & Co. knew that he lost the election. However their strategy was to create such post-election chaos and doubt that the courts would have no choice but to throw the election to the state legislatures and thereby place Trump back in office.

It was a complete grift on the American people.

18 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

Oh no doubt, but the R’s were just better at the rhetoric and the marketing and that’s what drew Reagan to them.

I don’t know if someone or some group has been in charge of the Republican talking points and rhetoric over the last 20 years but if the Dems were smart they would pay that person billions of dollars to help them with it.  Every time the Dems try to push out a talking point it doesn’t work and sounds kind of hokey.  Biden saying “ultra MAGA Republican” over and over again, Adam Schiff seems to say the word “scheme” when talking about Jan 6 and Trump but he says it over and over again like the Dems sat in a room and said, “hey, if we keep using the word scheme then everyone will think Trump was scheming and we will win all those voters over”.  I am a Democrat but man they are so bad at selling their side of the story to the American people it is frustrating to watch.  

• Hook 'Em 2

The committee just needs to hammer home that Trump & Co. knew that he lost the election. However their strategy was to create such post-election chaos and doubt that the courts would have no choice but to throw the election to the state legislatures and thereby place Trump back in office.
It was a complete grift on the American people.
You're right, of course, but I don't know that it matters. So many people will dismiss that as "politics as usual" implying that it's something "both sides" do and will do again. Unless some substantial consequence comes out of this, I think 1/6/21 just becomes a footnote in history.

I recently listened to a podcast about the election of 1876 and the chaos that led to the Compromise of 1877. I learned more of the details about what each side did to in the lead-up to inauguration, and there were so many parallels to 2020. Shit, Trump tried some of the very same tactics they used back then. Today nobody knows anything about the Election of 1876, the chaos it created, the Compromise of 1877, or that it all led to the end of Reconstruction and 100+ years of Jim Crow.

I guess my point is that we didn't learn anything then. And we won't learn anything now.

@Brisketexan is right.
  • Rage+1 1

46 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I don’t know if someone or some group has been in charge of the Republican talking points and rhetoric over the last 20 years but if the Dems were smart they would pay that person billions of dollars to help them with it.  Every time the Dems try to push out a talking point it doesn’t work and sounds kind of hokey.  Biden saying “ultra MAGA Republican” over and over again, Adam Schiff seems to say the word “scheme” when talking about Jan 6 and Trump but he says it over and over again like the Dems sat in a room and said, “hey, if we keep using the word scheme then everyone will think Trump was scheming and we will win all those voters over”.  I am a Democrat but man they are so bad at selling their side of the story to the American people it is frustrating to watch.  

The problem is the MAGA crowd does not understand words like scheme or insurrection.  They only understand insults like "Lyin' Ted" or "Crooked Hillary" 

Dems should turn a phrase on Trump and use "Lock Him Up"  

21 minutes ago, tchookem said:

You're right, of course, but I don't know that it matters. So many people will dismiss that as "politics as usual" implying that it's something "both sides" do and will do again. Unless some substantial consequence comes out of this, I think 1/6/21 just becomes a footnote in history.

I recently listened to a podcast about the election of 1876 and the chaos that led to the Compromise of 1877. I learned more of the details about what each side did to in the lead-up to inauguration, and there were so many parallels to 2020. Shit, Trump tried some of the very same tactics they used back then. Today nobody knows anything about the Election of 1876, the chaos it created, the Compromise of 1877, or that it all led to the end of Reconstruction and 100+ years of Jim Crow.

I guess my point is that we didn't learn anything then. And we won't learn anything now.

@Brisketexan is right.

I don't think we've seen the worst yet. Look at the almost revolt in NM in failing to certify the primary results. The primary results!

This was the equivalent in fighting the refs in the spring football game. Both parties won their primaries.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Fletch said:

It’s incredible. Reagan, HW, W, Cheney, McCain, Paul Ryan, Romney. People these cocksuckers put in power are now all the sudden RINOs. Unreal. Must be nice to just not claim the very people you put in power as if us leftist did it. Christ fucking Nixon seems like an honorable man compared to what we’ve seen the last few years 

Seems like the Brisket Theory of Everything Will Get Worse now extends back to Tricky Dick. His illegal abuses of power which really didn't threaten the republic are indeed made to look small by GOP standards today. Further, there were Republican members of Congress (Lowell Weicker comes to mind) who were for an investigation and participated in it as honorable Americans.

Until recently, I used to say that I thought Gerald Ford was going to be the low mark in presidential capability. He didn't seem smart enough to be president. His only corrupt move was pardoning Nixon, but that is an understandable action even if you disagree with it.

By the time we get to W, Gerald Ford starts looking like a pretty solid guy to have in the White House. As you write, we've hit a point where you can say Nixon would be a far better leader of the GOP and president than the turds with arms and legs leading that party now.

As politics has become like sports for most GOPs who will never abandon their team or take off the jersey, it's as though they fired Paterno and hired Sandusky even after the pedophile scandal. And they're proud of it. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Seems like the Brisket Theory of Everything Will Get Worse now extends back to Tricky Dick. His illegal abuses of power which really didn't threaten the republic are indeed made to look small by GOP standards today. Further, there were Republican members of Congress (Lowell Weicker comes to mind) who were for an investigation and participated in it as honorable Americans.

Even Nixon's biggest defenders in the House Judiciary Committee gave up once the smoking gun tape was forced into the open.

15 minutes ago, RPM said:

The GOP had leaders with morals then. See: Barry Goldwater

There was no concept at the time that morals were a dividing line between the parties. Individuals may have been scoundrels, but nobody thought the scoundrel in question defined every member of his party.

Then comes the Southern Strategy then the Moral Majority and everything changes. Racists and religious fundamentalists (under the false flag of being Christian) change the discourse and the nation. Making abortion a partisan issue made things worse. 

Reaping and sowing over and over until the fields are overrun with toxic weeds claiming that they're saving the farm.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, RomaVicta said:

There was no concept at the time that morals were a dividing line between the parties. Individuals may have been scoundrels, but nobody thought the scoundrel in question defined every member of his party.

Then comes the Southern Strategy then the Moral Majority and everything changes. Racists and religious fundamentalists (under the false flag of being Christian) change the discourse and the nation. Making abortion a partisan issue made things worse. 

Reaping and sowing over and over until the fields are overrun with toxic weeds claiming that they're saving the farm.

If only someone saw it coming...

882ca3994f3d6798f1f7eac56046b0df.jpg

4v6e1a.jpg

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

But you can only steal said pony from a poor or person of color.   Because no one cares if they get to keep their ponies or not.  In fact most likely if you don't get their pony, someone else will by the end of the week.  They don't deserve ponies anyway.  

9 minutes ago, RPM said:

If only someone saw it coming...

882ca3994f3d6798f1f7eac56046b0df.jpg

4v6e1a.jpg

On the day of the '88 presidential election, one network had McGovern and Goldwater on for a discussion on the course of the nation. It was only a single segment. They were so measured and respectful of each other. 

Goldwater argued (civilly, if you can imagine such a thing), that the country had gone wrong by spending so much money on the Great Society policy started by LBJ. It had plunged the nation into debt.

McGovern answered that the problem with the debt was founded because the nation was trying to do two expensive things at once: social improvement and the Vietnam War. It was the war that was the bad policy. "I think you agree with me on the Vietnam War, Barry?" [paraphrasing from memory]

Goldwater indicated that he agreed about Vietnam and seemed to agree with McGovern's point.

A respectful exchange. A joint journey down a line of reasoning leading to some level of consensus. I was filled with admiration for them both. I was actually moved watching these two old warhorses discussing issues from their tenures in such a civil way.  No animus.

It's interesting as I write to think that both men lost presidential bids that featured some serious attacks on their character. Johnson painted Goldwater as a crazy warmonger using the notorious Daisy ad. Nixon painted McGovern as a limp weakling (he flew 35 B-24 missions in WWII) and continually quoted McGovern's statements opposing the Vietnam War and pointing out that we were losing it. Both lost in landslides that likely didn't require the smear ads of their opponents.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

Until recently, I used to say that I thought Gerald Ford was going to be the low mark in presidential capability. He didn't seem smart enough to be president. His only corrupt move was pardoning Nixon, but that is an understandable action even if you disagree with it.

By the time we get to W, Gerald Ford starts looking like a pretty solid guy to have in the White House. As you write, we've hit a point where you can say Nixon would be a far better leader of the GOP and president than the turds with arms and legs leading that party now.

As politics has become like sports for most GOPs who will never abandon their team or take off the jersey, it's as though they fired Paterno and hired Sandusky even after the pedophile scandal. And they're proud of it. 

It’s fucking amazing. My trumptard “friend” texts me about “whipping Democrats ass” in elections or will text me in glee about a certain Supreme Court ruling. There have been a handful of times I’ve felt that way. Like when Obama was elected, Biden elected,  when we killed bin laden. But I never fist pump and celebrate like Texas just scored a touchdown whenever Democrats get something done or whatever. It’s politics and lawmaking. It’s supposed to be fucking boring but ohhhh no. They just had to give us a fucking shitty actor then 40 years later a shitty reality tv “star”. Thanks, partisan hacks 

• Hook 'Em 1

geoff duncan, the lt gov from georgia needs to stop being invited onto cnn (i think it's always tapper).  he talks shit about trump and the crap he tried to pull, but always manages to trash biden in the same sentence.  tapper largely ignores those comments, but they need to stop with any kind of parallels.  however you feel about biden, the jan 6th hearings are not the time.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

I want a pony. I want it for free, and I urge myself to immediately figure out how to achieve this. 

You want the pony?  YOU CANT HANDLE THE PONY!!!  Colonel Jessup probably.

Edited by Mdhorn