January 6th Committee Hearings Thread of Dominance

Longhorn_Fan68

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

YEP.  Middle of the afternoon on a Tuesday.  99% of people who need to see this hearing have no clue about it or don't care.

I disagree. The olds are home and watching Fox News, and they were carrying it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Or they know it will be bad for their team, so they are going to ignore it and hope that willful ignorance will save the day.

Willful ignorance on the part of some, but there are also those who know better and prefer to just gaslight and earn a cheap Hook'em from "Totally Not Political" posters like @Cheeseweasel

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

There are plenty of functioning Western countries who have had a former head of state or government go to prison for actions committed while in office.  Former French president NIcholas Sarkozy is in prison for corruption.  Gier Haarde, the former PM of Iceland--fucking Iceland--was convicted of official misconduct in connection with the 2008 economic collapse.  Ehud Olmert (Israeli PM) went away for bribery.

Choi Kyoung-hwan, the prime minister of South Korea, went away for five years for bribery.  Actually, we probably can't list all of the South Korean heads of state and government that have gone away for various things.  Or the French, for that matter.  Or Greece.  

Let's just say that we're pretty idiosyncratic in our reluctance to throw politicians in prison.

Futurama Squinting GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 6/16/2022 at 8:31 AM, Red Five said:

Has anyone asked this guy why he lied about giving tours in the first place? I mean, if it was so innocent. I'm sure it was just a coincidence that he gave a tour to an insurrectionist who a day later wanted to rip Pelosi out of the Capitol by her hair. 

Not to mention that the Capitol was closed due to COVID at the time.  No tours were allowed.  And since when do actual Congressmen (and women) give tours themselves?

Lying sack of shit.

• Hook 'Em 3

18 hours ago, Fletch said:

It’s incredible. Reagan, HW, W, Cheney, McCain, Paul Ryan, Romney. People these cocksuckers put in power are now all the sudden RINOs. Unreal. Must be nice to just not claim the very people you put in power as if us leftist did it. Christ fucking Nixon seems like an honorable man compared to what we’ve seen the last few years 

At least Nixon had some shame and knew when he went too far.  Not these chucklefucks.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, The Dog said:

Don’t know why the mobile site is different but it was the top story on the desktop site earlier.02A535A4-7A38-4B7F-A2E9-5EBEC7200AC2.thumb.png.f0e5c9ed0cdb2cbc6563d1c782ff3930.png

It’s unreal how much a congresswoman from New York triggers the GQP. You’d think she controls 80% of the country based on how they talk about her. Though she does want all that evil shit like affordable, accessible healthcare, invest in public education, address homelessness and create a safer, more humane public. Stupid fucking bitch 

Edited by Fletch
  • Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

There are plenty of functioning Western countries who have had a former head of state or government go to prison for actions committed while in office.  Former French president NIcholas Sarkozy is in prison for corruption.  Gier Haarde, the former PM of Iceland--fucking Iceland--was convicted of official misconduct in connection with the 2008 economic collapse.  Ehud Olmert (Israeli PM) went away for bribery.

Choi Kyoung-hwan, the prime minister of South Korea, went away for five years for bribery.  Actually, we probably can't list all of the South Korean heads of state and government that have gone away for various things.  Or the French, for that matter.  Or Greece.  

Let's just say that we're pretty idiosyncratic in our reluctance to throw politicians in prison.

since the founding of our republic there have been 2 other leaders in western history with personalities and careers similar to trump: napoleon and brigham young.  napoleon was first exiled as a result of a (european) continental treaty and then after the 100 days exiled a 2nd time to die on st. helena in the south atlantic 6 years later.  briggy spent the last 20 years of his life avoiding a federal indictment for accessory after the fact for the mountain meadows job, and he even went so far as to have his own probate court draw up an indictment against him in 1859 so he could try himself in a court he controlled.  only 20 years ago did the evidence surface which would have made a trial with witnesses then alive in the 1860s an extremely close shave for the prophet who didn't bathe.   the example of both is that you have to get 'em while the irons are hot.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

At least Nixon had some shame and knew when he went too far.  Not these chucklefucks.

Nixon had no shame. He proved that in the Frost interview when he said l, “When the President does it, that means it’s not illegal.” It wasn’t his shame that forced him out of office, it was the members of his party who still had a spine and a sense of decency and legality. What Geraldo Rivera said to Sean Hannity was true. If Hannity (and Fox News) had been around back then, Nixon never would’ve been forced to leave office. Nixon would’ve adored Fox News. He was calling the press “the enemy” and decrying the “liberal media” 50 years ago.

I don’t believe Nixon ever felt shame. He was probably feeling more bitter and aggrieved, angry and resentful while he wandered the beach alone at San Clemente, like Trump would be now if modern day Republicans had the spine and a sense of decency and legality that their predecessors did.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

This is simply Trump trying to set up his defense.  I am such a fucking moron that no many how many people told me the truth, or showed me the clear evidence that I lost the election, I "still believed" I won.  Trump is simply trying to say that "I have no culpability" as I am so mentally unbalanced that I never, ever believe the truth.  Because I believe I won, and that's that!

He isn't saying he didn't lose.  If you look closely, he is saying he "always believed" he won, despite no evidence at all that he won, and it wasn't even close.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, hpslugga said:

Getting back to the half assed thing, the Watergate indiscretions weren’t even the worst things Nixon did as POTUS. He, like a few of his predecessors, participated in a long-running program by the FBI known as COINTELPRO. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/COINTELPRO. When Watergate was becoming public knowledge, so was COINTELPRO. But watergate was all anyone ever heard about. Why? Because when Nixon was involved in COINTELPRO, he was spying on minorities and minority rights leaders. When he was involved in Watergate, he was spying on half of the arm of power in the United States government. The lesson that should be taken is the following:

Spying on the black panther party: Good
Spying on the Democratic Party:  Bad

A2168EA9-B44A-440F-B0A0-63793D4A9C80.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, hpslugga said:

I’m sorry but I have to jump on this.

This seems to be a growing sentiment and I’m not questioning it; I’m denying it entirely.

Richard Nixon had been told repeatedly by Senate Republicans in the wake of all the Watergate exposures and when impeachment proceedings were about to commence that they had enough votes to convict and convict they would. He had no chance to survive.

Now, if you want to credit those Senate Republicans for actually taking a half assed principle (more on that in a minute), ok fine. And yeah even a half assed principle is considerable compared to what these current degenerates have.

In any event, Nixon resigned precisely because he was going to be removed and he was told so. Giving him credit for making that decision is like giving credit to Bob Livingston for “falling on his sword.” No, that man resigned because Larry Flynt had told him he would release all the lurid details of his marital infidelity if he didn’t.

Sure it gives to the general public a facade of integrity and it lets the perpetrator step down with some “dignity,” but in the end it’s all for show. Nixon was a monster. Period. If his party was littered with the kind of degenerates the republicans are known to be today, he serves out his entire second term.

it was also over 6 months after the release of the tapes before impeachment proceedings began - and even then the initial recommendation on the judiciary committee was a party line vote. It really wasn't until Haldeman and co were indicted that the momentum started to swing to removal. 

This is a great post and why I still think Nixon was worse than Trump. Trump is narcissistic and gullible. Nixon was smart, cunning, RUTHLESS, and incredibly paranoid. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, horn4life said:

This is simply Trump trying to set up his defense.  I am such a fucking moron that no many how many people told me the truth, or showed me the clear evidence that I lost the election, I "still believed" I won.  Trump is simply trying to say that "I have no culpability" as I am so mentally unbalanced that I never, ever believe the truth.  Because I believe I won, and that's that!

He isn't saying he didn't lose.  If you look closely, he is saying he "always believed" he won, despite no evidence at all that he won, and it wasn't even close.

Trump painted himself in a corner making fun of everybody he beat calling them losers, even when they still held a Congressional seat (McCain).  He cheats, so can't comprehend anyone else not but he also now has to face up to his own self created bar of losing.  He's not gracious and when Biden calls him out on it, the words sting since Biden has the pulpit with the highest power (in Trump's eyes) and he doesn't.  He's still grifting but that's all coming out into the open and each public hearing opens a new door into his grift which he can't counter without a public seat.  The man has had difficulty holding an account on twitter, and his name is openly taking a beating.  All this mob talk is showing him as a sham, loser and really, just the beginning of his troubles--and even his mind can grasp this.  He could veil his threats before when he held a populace but now he'll have to spell it out which will definitely incriminate him.  He could just not say anything  which would be the smartest thing, but there's the catch.        

15 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

i worded that badly.  i understand the argument that doing so is dangerous.  and not just as precedent, but in terms of more morons with guns storming state houses and wherever the fuck else they want threatening anyone who isn't like them.  i don't agree with ignoring any of it, i don't agree that we should sweep it under the rug - i wasn't implying any of that.  

i was really making a post about what should be happening (and wondering why it isn't) to the underlings, starting with eastman and guiliani, and not talking about yanking law licenses.  what should be happening to these fake electors and whomever organized them.  i was trying to pose the question with the disclaimer that it wasn't a question about trump and charges brought/not brought against him.

i agree with what you replied with, it just wasn't the intent of my post.

I got you, I realized what you meant. And you're right, there is danger aside from the precedent. But we can't avoid enforcing our laws because of concern about what these terrorists will do (which is not to imply you are saying otherwise; I'm sure you agree).   

1 hour ago, B00M said:

"Unselects"? ...really? How fucking childish and on brand.

Can we start referring to trump as the Invalid?

The unselect thing is one of the all-time worst attempts at an insult. Dotard apparently thinks it's a hell of a zinger, because he uses it every time he discusses the committee.

3 hours ago, hpslugga said:

This seems to be a growing sentiment and I’m not questioning it; I’m denying it entirely.

Richard Nixon had been told repeatedly by Senate Republicans in the wake of all the Watergate exposures and when impeachment proceedings were about to commence that they had enough votes to convict and convict they would. He had no chance to survive.

Now, if you want to credit those Senate Republicans for actually taking a half assed principle (more on that in a minute), ok fine. And yeah even a half assed principle is considerable compared to what these current degenerates have.

In any event, Nixon resigned precisely because he was going to be removed and he was told so. Giving him credit for making that decision is like giving credit to Bob Livingston for “falling on his sword.” No, that man resigned because Larry Flynt had told him he would release all the lurid details of his marital infidelity if he didn’t.

Sure it gives to the general public a facade of integrity and it lets the perpetrator step down with some “dignity,” but in the end it’s all for show. Nixon was a monster. Period. If his party was littered with the kind of degenerates the republicans are known to be today, he serves out his entire second term.

Getting back to the half assed thing, the Watergate indiscretions weren’t even the worst things Nixon did as POTUS. He, like a few of his predecessors, participated in a long-running program by the FBI known as COINTELPRO. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/COINTELPRO. When Watergate was becoming public knowledge, so was COINTELPRO. But watergate was all anyone ever heard about. Why? Because when Nixon was involved in COINTELPRO, he was spying on minorities and minority rights leaders. When he was involved in Watergate, he was spying on half of the arm of power in the United States government. The lesson that should be taken is the following:

COINTELPRO (1956-1971) was a hoover op that dick inherited and went after everyone in the "counterculture".    it was not targeted specifically and only at african-americans.   combined with the enemies list, anglos made up 75% of dick's targets/victims

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

it was also over 6 months after the release of the tapes before impeachment proceedings began - and even then the initial recommendation on the judiciary committee was a party line vote. It really wasn't until Haldeman and co were indicted that the momentum started to swing to removal. 

This is a great post and why I still think Nixon was worse than Trump. Trump is narcissistic and gullible. Nixon was smart, cunning, RUTHLESS, and incredibly paranoid. 

nixon went to china and started the SALT process with the soviet

tapeworm tried to get a deal done with north korea and sold out the ukranians

nixon may have been all you say, but he was never article 25

tapeworm is a clear and present danger to civilization

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, hpslugga said:

Great post. To be clear on my position, I use Nixon as the lowest example as a president. He abused power horribly. I think he liked yukking it up with J. Edgar Hoover over the compromat the FBI had. He had Hoover's successor hide Watergate evidence in his underwear drawer before burning it in his backyard.

It's shocking to me that we got somebody worse in Trump. Nixon wasn't seeking to undo the republic. He did seek to use the powers granted him by the republic to do terrible things.

11 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Funny, i was thinking an apology or at least some sympathy for the trauma he caused to Shaye Moss and Ruby Freeman was eminent.

piece of shit.

Edited by yoladu
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think I know what he means by Unselects, but I'd be grateful for a definition from someone who knows. 

Trump isn't worth one of Shae Moss' nose hairs. That used to be a joyful woman doing great work that she loved. A person like that lightens everybody's world. Trump turned her and her mother to animals hunted by non-men willing to go so far as to barge into her grandmother's house.

Despicable: deserving hatred and contempt. Sometimes I like to look up a word in common usage to retrieve its original impact. It's a shame that Cute World made a cartoon movie diminishing the word. It used to pack a real sting.

4 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I think I know what he means by Unselects, but I'd be grateful for a definition from someone who knows. 

Trump isn't worth one of Shae Moss' nose hairs. That used to be a joyful woman doing great work that she loved. A person like that lightens everybody's world. Trump turned her and her mother to animals hunted by non-men willing to go so far as to barge into her grandmother's house.

Despicable: deserving hatred and contempt. Sometimes I like to look up a word in common usage to retrieve its original impact. It's a shame that Cute World made a cartoon movie diminishing the word. It used to pack a real sting.

It’s called the select committee. So he refers to them as the unselect committee or unselects for brevity. 

eta

looney-toons-daffy-duck.gif

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Satchel said:

Shouldn’t Jenna Ellis, John Eastman, and the Kraken lawyer  loon be disbarred?

Pretty sure I read this week that Sidney Powell was given notice of disbarment in Texas last week. Not sure what exactly that means, or if she's entitled to a hearing before officially having her law license taken away -- I'll let the Surly lawyers chime in.

11 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

It’s called the select committee. So he refers to them as the unselect committee or unselects for brevity.

i have to admit, even i would have given some more credit to thinking there was something more clever behind the term.  i suppose the days of jerk store quality are a thing of the past.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

COINTELPRO (1956-1971) was a hoover op that dick inherited and went after everyone in the "counterculture".    it was not targeted specifically and only at african-americans.   combined with the enemies list, anglos made up 75% of dick's targets/victims

I’m quite aware of the whole scope of the operation and that wasn’t the point. The point is:

1. he was a willing participant and it received next to zero press coverage even though the sheer depth and depravity of the whole thing was so far beyond Watergate as to render it a footnote. 

2. Since that’s the case, it cannot be said that the Republican senators who were going to vote to remove him in his impeachment proceedings were acting on some sort of “principle” or “good of the country.”