Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

I'm so fucking glad I don't have kids. this country has really failed its youth. and it's not even close. I have friends living abroad right now through their kids' formative years because they just couldn't bring themselves to teach their children active shooter drills. I never did one growing up. this seems like a now problem and one we should solve, like yesterday

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

I'm so fucking glad I don't have kids. this country has really failed its youth. and it's not even close. I have friends living abroad right now through their kids' formative years because they just couldn't bring themselves to teach their children active shooter drills. I never did one growing up. this seems like a now problem and one we should solve, like yesterday

Look commie, if you don’t like freedom, best love to Canada because around here, we enjoy our unfettered access to not only guns but shooting whomever we want. Deal with it Karl Marx.
  • Rage+1 2

Surprised he shot himself. That rarely happens in these things nowadays. 

CR so I’ll say it: uncanny pattern the last few years of white mass shooters surrending to police at the first challenge, and non-white mass shooters either dying fighting or killing themselves. It’s very weird.

38 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Needed this guy:

image.png.461e08ef7a8c100d45be7c1e54faeb5a.png

"What the fuck are you doing?"
-"What, this?  I'm open carrying man, my constitutional rights!  Ever hear of 'Shoot from the Hip', dumbass?"  

"It's just an expression dude!  It's not a belt-loop."

-"Whatever man, you're just jealous of my alpha status!"

"You're wearing orthopedic shoes, packing, and eating lunch at a gas station buffet.  I think our lives are going in different directions."  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ultimaton said:

Yeah, but think of all the private collectors that might be mildly inconvenienced if we do anything to try to stop this from happening again

What is the likelihood of this happening in a country that doesn’t value guns more than people?

Missouri’s Republican-controlled state House has voted against banning children from openly carrying guns on public land without adult supervision.

The proposal was defeated by a vote of 104-39, with only one Republican voting to support the ban. The measure was part of a long debate in the House about ways to combat crime, particularly in the St Louis area of the state.

In 2017 lawmakers in the state allowed people to carry concealed firearms in most places without first obtaining a permit.

Democratic Representative Donna Baringer said police in her district had asked for a change in the law to prevent “14-year-olds walking down the middle of the street in the city of St Louis carrying AR-15s.”

“Now they have been emboldened, and they are walking around with them,” Ms Baringer said. “Until they actually brandish them, and brandish them with intent, our police officers’ hands are handcuffed.”

Republicans had called the proposed ban an attack on gun rights.

“While it may be intuitive that a 14-year-old has no legitimate purpose, it doesn’t actually mean that they’re going to harm someone. We don’t know that yet,” said Rep Tony Lovasco, a Republican from the St Louis suburb of O’Fallon.

“Generally speaking, we don’t charge people with crimes because we think they’re going to hurt someone.”

Last year the US Supreme Court ruled in “New York State Rifle & Pistol Association v Bruen” that the Second Amendment generally protects the rights of Americans to carry a handgun outside of their home for self-defence.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/missouri-republicans-house-minors-guns-b2279371.html

Do I have this correct? Missouri allows for minors to carry guns on public land because "just because a child is carrying a weapon doesn't mean they're going to harm someone" (per Rep Lovasco in the article) so that the next time a Missouri police officer shoots a young black minor with a gun (which turns out to not be a gun but a phone) and citizens protest in the street, then a group of minor Kyle Rittenhouse wanna-bees are free to carry their weapons up and down the street 'hunting?' Sounds about right for Missouri.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

Do I have this correct? Missouri allows for minors to carry guns on public land because "just because a child is carrying a weapon doesn't mean they're going to harm someone" (per Rep Lovasco in the article) so that the next time a Missouri police officer shoots a young black minor with a gun (which turns out to not be a gun but a phone) and citizens protest in the street, then a group of minor Kyle Rittenhouse wanna-bees are free to carry their weapons up and down the street 'hunting?' Sounds about right for Missouri.

Well it is a bellwether state.

7 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Serious question, how are they able to live abroad? I'm self-employed and seems like my options are limited on establishing residence anywhere decent.

14 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Serious question, how are they able to live abroad? I'm self-employed and seems like my options are limited on establishing residence anywhere decent.

A lot of countries have investment visas where if you keep a set amount of money in a country, or invest it in a business there, they will give you a special visa and some you can even get citizenship after a time. The amounts vary from country to country with wealthier countries usually requiring more investment.  Here is South Korea's for example. If you have a stable monthly cash flow from social security, pension, etc. you can get retirement visas in many countries.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Had our first lockdown experience with my youngest's elementary school in the OKC metro last week. Soft lockdown over a suspicious vehicle, ended up all clear.

Still though... it has a way of sort of gripping you by the throat.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

There’s apparently another student that also survived a previous school shooting, and now this one.  

more than one... several Oxford students attend MSU apparently. which i guess makes sense. but still...just...wow.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bridgemi.com/talent-education/michigan-state-students-oxford-hope-survive-long-enough-graduate%3famp

There are several current Michigan State students who are from Oxford or were in the school at the time a 15-year-old student wounded seven and killed four, and at least one student who survived the Sandy Hook Elementary massacre in 2012.

so i was having a really hard time trying to wrap my head around the reality of such a statistical improbability being the case with numerous individuals...and then a friend said 'the thing is it's really not that improbable anymore, there are just too many' and i was just like...well, fuck. 

maybe-ehhh.gif

21 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Husband works for a tech company and was already WFH, so he took it on the road. Don't know if the wife works or just tends to kids. Much of their time has been spent in Spain. A quick google search reveals it costs a family of four $2500/mo for cost of living. My guess is they're doing just fine financially.

21 hours ago, Jhawkmvp said:

A lot of countries have investment visas where if you keep a set amount of money in a country, or invest it in a business there, they will give you a special visa and some you can even get citizenship after a time. The amounts vary from country to country with wealthier countries usually requiring more investment.  Here is South Korea's for example. If you have a stable monthly cash flow from social security, pension, etc. you can get retirement visas in many countries.

I think they did something like this as well. At first their plan was spend a year or two there, but then covid hit and shit isn't getting any better, so they're still there.

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68

Looks like another one in El Paso at a mall. 
Fuck this shit. So damn tired of seeing these events trending. 

Apologies if I am mistaken, but I think I recall you are a veteran that has seen action. I can not imagine what you feel seeing all these toy soldiers with their toys that refuse to acknowledge they are a major obstacle in curbing the American mass shooting pandemic. Thanks for your service and your stance against gun violence.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Nope, not a veteran, but worked very closely with the military in a few places. 

Just fucking tired of this shit. Be it incels, domestic violence, gangs, what ever. Just tired of it. And yes, I own weapons. They are all in safes and I feel no reason to carry them. I use them to hunt pigs and help a buddy with his ranch. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4