Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

RALEIGH, NC—In the hours following a violent rampage in North Carolina in which a lone attacker killed at least five individuals and injured several others, citizens living in the only country where this kind of mass killing routinely occurs reportedly concluded Friday that there was no way to prevent the massacre from taking place. “This was a terrible tragedy, but sometimes these things just happen and there’s nothing anyone can do to stop them,” said New Mexico resident Luke Nelson, echoing sentiments expressed by tens of millions of individuals who reside in a nation where over half of the world’s deadliest mass shootings have occurred in the past 50 years and whose citizens are 20 times more likely to die of gun violence than those of other developed nations. “It’s a shame, but what can we do? There really wasn’t anything that was going to keep this individual from snapping and killing a lot of people if that’s what they really wanted.” At press time, residents of the only economically advanced nation in the world where roughly two mass shootings have occurred every month for the past eight years were referring to themselves and their situation as “helpless.”

4 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

What in the actual fuck?

I think there may be a midwestern angle there.  I refer to my mom's sisters' husbands as "uncle", but I refer to my wife's siblings' kids as "my wife's nieces/nephews".

In retrospect, it's kinda fucked up.

Anyway, more dead people!  Yay!

11 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

RALEIGH, NC—In the hours following a violent rampage in North Carolina in which a lone attacker killed at least five individuals and injured several others, citizens living in the only country where this kind of mass killing routinely occurs reportedly concluded Friday that there was no way to prevent the massacre from taking place. “This was a terrible tragedy, but sometimes these things just happen and there’s nothing anyone can do to stop them,” said New Mexico resident Luke Nelson, echoing sentiments expressed by tens of millions of individuals who reside in a nation where over half of the world’s deadliest mass shootings have occurred in the past 50 years and whose citizens are 20 times more likely to die of gun violence than those of other developed nations. “It’s a shame, but what can we do? There really wasn’t anything that was going to keep this individual from snapping and killing a lot of people if that’s what they really wanted.” At press time, residents of the only economically advanced nation in the world where roughly two mass shootings have occurred every month for the past eight years were referring to themselves and their situation as “helpless.”

Does the Onion run that every time there's a mass shooting?

Edited by Biff Tannen
  • Like 1

A 15 year old kills his brother and four others, including an off-duty officer. A literal child has the ability to end lives just like that. We'll find the details of everything soon, I'm sure. But a child is able to become a mass murders instantly in our country. In Uvalde, the reports are that the shooter had never fired a gun before he killed 19 fourth graters and two teachers. 

image.png.974d55f15156d4637664b121cd3969c8.png

55 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Uncle-in-law?

No they just call them their name. So if Tio Juan is married to Cuquita they just always called her Cuquita even as kids. Never Tia Cuquita. Their parents told them from the beginning that isn't your aunt it's your uncle's wife. 

4 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

A 15 year old kills his brother and four others, including an off-duty officer. A literal child has the ability to end lives just like that. We'll find the details of everything soon, I'm sure. But a child is able to become a mass murders instantly in our country. In Uvalde, the reports are that the shooter had never fired a gun before he killed 19 fourth graters and two teachers. 

I don’t get why Americans continue to give ourselves a break by saying that indiscriminate murder in just the price we pay for being free. How screwed up is that?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

2020 numbers are surprising.

Welcome to the land of opportunity. The pitfall? You can be randomly killed just about anywhere in a mass shooting. School, church, Walmart, Fourth of July parade, jogging trail. There's really nowhere to hide at this point.

My big fear is that as these continue unabated, it's going to be more focused on setting records and sowing terror. A 20 year old guy shooting eight people at a supermarket? Meh, it's out of the news in two days.

Instead, it's going to be looking for huge targets of people (think football games, concerts, etc.) or spots like schools and churches.

13 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

My big fear is that as these continue unabated, it's going to be more focused on setting records and sowing terror. A 20 year old guy shooting eight people at a supermarket? Meh, it's out of the news in two days.

Instead, it's going to be looking for huge targets of people (think football games, concerts, etc.) or spots like schools and churches.

Don’t be fearful. Just know that nothing can be done. This is what freedom looks like.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I think there may be a midwestern angle there.  I refer to my mom's sisters' husbands as "uncle", but I refer to my wife's siblings' kids as "my wife's nieces/nephews".

In retrospect, it's kinda fucked up.

not to continue this derail (that i started) but i don't think it's regional, i think it's about when it happened in your life.  when you were born (or very young), your aunts were marrying your uncles and that was normal.  but when you met your wife, her siblings may not have had kids yet.  if they did, they might seem more like your wife's niece and nephews, instead of "your" niece/nephew (if they were born years after you were family).

my nephews met a couple of my girlfriends before they met my eventual wife.  they call her aunt.  i don't know what they would call my exes, if they would happen to run into each other out in the world.

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Does the Onion run that every time there's a mass shooting?

I think they have it set up like a Mad Lib with fields to enter [name of city], [number killed], [number injured], [age of shooter], etc.

55 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Gamification and leaderboards.  I'd bet there are people running pools like the APD thread or celebrity death pool  and you get points for guessing the next state and victim count.  Probably money/bets changing hands too.  Maybe Ron and Greg have a friendly bet that if you get the next one I'll send BBQ, and If I win you fly some immigrants to Martha's Vineyard.  

Martha's Vineyard stunt was the payoff for Uvalde winning?  Just asking questions.

27 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

not to continue this derail (that i started) but i don't think it's regional, i think it's about when it happened in your life. <snip>

Could be.  I know Puddle was brought up in the same general part of the country as I was, so I tried to connect some perhaps tenuous dots.

Oh, and to your point, my wife is the youngest of 6, and all of her neices and nephews were born before we met, save one kid who was adopted later.  So, you may have nailed it.

Edited by jimmyjazz

10 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Second paragraph was referring to jimmyjazz’s cousin and spouse and their son.  

anyway, internets have been awfully quiet about this.  Usually there’s ten pages of weapon assessment after something like this.  Not sure if the shooter’s parents are in the picture but read earlier this morning from a beat cop journalist at A Raleigh tv news affiliate that first victim was his brother.  I couldn’t begin to fathom the horror of losing a child, then learning your other son did it, then learning he killed cops And civilians, and oh yeah—-he now had permanent brain damage as part of his skull spilled out during the arrest.  

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/1c937b41-019b-4fc7-af05-3ecbf60c960e

Edited by Nivek

23 hours ago, YGIFS said:

My cousin's husband was a cop in Chicago for 20 years.  My heart skipped a beat every time I heard about a shootout there, widowing her and two young boys (one of whom is special needs).  He finally had enough and became a SRO for a wealthy school district in the norther suburbs.  

Glad her husband and his son are okay.  What a shitshow there.  Apparently the kid (15yo) shot himself in the head before they arrested him.  He's alive and in custody.

Yeah, wealthy norther suburbs are very safe. Take Highland Park for example...

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

my wife was frantically texting me live from this (I’m out of town for business). Today was fucking fair day for DISD, tens of thousands of school children with their families as the fair. Nothing like the dread of minute by minute text updates of your wife and two young kids hiding behind a steel table turned sideways. 

this is america GIF

• Hook 'Em 3

Doing everything but banning guns. So when the predictably inevitable happens it will be easier for the cops.

And I’m sure all those nutty parents who have been screeching about CRT and schools “grooming” kids will be totally fine with that same school having their kids DNA.
  • Like 4
  • Rage+1 4

Some school districts do this already through their local PD in case of runaway/abduction scares. They sent a packet home with each of our children in elementary school (it was optional to participate). We opted out for several reasons (not conspiracy theory based).

The public ISDs have a dilemma--they are composed of local citizens and depending upon who runs things in individual communities (i.e. is the school board full of rational critically thinking adults? Is it comprised of election denying, guns for all and all for guns 'patriots'? Do the trustees, being elected, prioritize staying in power versus losing a campaign based on steadfast principles?) Combining that element with the State's laws, the propaganda, the money being invested by various groups, the demand that they 'do' something (because we all know that the next one and the next one and the next one will eventually happen) leads to the Chronicle's reporting of this latest 'solution' which isn't really a solution at all and most of us know it. The groups that want to destroy the institution of public education in this country have done a fine job of it so far haven't they?

22 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Doing everything but banning guns. So when the predictably inevitable happens it will be easier for the cops.

And I’m sure all those nutty parents who have been screeching about CRT and schools “grooming” kids will be totally fine with that same school having their kids DNA.

It’s always a stall tactic with the GOP. Their approach to this is usually always the same after a major firearm incident where innocent lives are lost.

1) immediately tweet MEANINGLESS thoughts and prayers. Who gives a shit if other people pray for me?  People want tangible help. Get off your ass and help the survivors personally or donate to them. Prayers do nothing.

2) hold a press conference to make it seem like they’re taking it seriously.

3) vaguely promise we will take steps to make sure it doesn’t happen again.

basically, they make it look like they care and that they’re doing something so that the base is calmed down and they just wait it out until the news cycle moves on to something else. Meanwhile the victims and their families lives are permanently changed. 

• Rage+1 1

25 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

It’s always a stall tactic with the GOP. Their approach to this is usually always the same after a major firearm incident where innocent lives are lost.

1) immediately tweet MEANINGLESS thoughts and prayers. Who gives a shit if other people pray for me?  People want tangible help. Get off your ass and help the survivors personally or donate to them. Prayers do nothing.

2) hold a press conference to make it seem like they’re taking it seriously.

3) vaguely promise we will take steps to make sure it doesn’t happen again.

basically, they make it look like they care and that they’re doing something so that the base is calmed down and they just wait it out until the news cycle moves on to something else. Meanwhile the victims and their families lives are permanently changed. 

Gun culture in this country is just a sickness.  It's quite incredible, from an objective standpoint.  People have more allegiance to an inanimate killing machine than human lives.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Gun culture in this country is just a sickness.  It's quite incredible, from an objective standpoint.  People have more allegiance to an inanimate killing machine than human lives.

image.png.9645178131e3e2796c3e97224a25f962.png

image.png.fa3a9d06afa02f1094e3dfc7496b2a18.png

image.png.654a7ff8cf8fb4ac45fc03273a1e9db9.png

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

If they would prevent people before the age of 25 from buying AR-15’s, the shooting numbers would go down a lot. 90% of the shootings are young men 25 and younger who are most likely socially isolated, sexually frustrated, and pissed off at the world. Their brains aren’t fully developed yet and many of them probably wouldn’t make the same decision to shoot up some place at 26 as opposed to 18 or 20.

• Hook 'Em 1

Texas Schools Are Sending Parents DNA Kits To ID Kids After Uvalde-Like Emergencies

Following the May shooting and similar attacks, families are asked to store students' biological samples at home in case authorities need them.
Edited by Bullneck

On 10/17/2022 at 9:36 AM, FirstTimeCaller said:

image.png.9645178131e3e2796c3e97224a25f962.png

image.png.fa3a9d06afa02f1094e3dfc7496b2a18.png

image.png.654a7ff8cf8fb4ac45fc03273a1e9db9.png

Seeing Tucker Carlson's nad tanning add where he defines manhood as testerone level, and now all this tough guy shit with cosplay soldiers and t-shirt intended to intimidate, I wonder if this country has completely lost its idea of what a man actually is.

What would today's male make of Atticus Finch?

spacer.png

Or Ransom Stoddard

spacer.png

I know they wouldn't get the irony in the movie or it's interesting study of American manhood.

Most women are likely better men than most men.

Our culture, such as it is, is poisoning us.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

You see, we have a long history of citizens preventing tyranny in our country by taking up arms against the state. It's how we've defended our liberty for centuries, and likely the way we will defend it in the future. So, you see, it's worth a few mass shootings here and there. Jefferson himself said that the tree of liberty must be moistened from time to time with the blood of kindergarteners, healtcare professionals, and people of color shopping at Walmart.

We don't want a country where citizens are fearful going through their daily lives worrying that the Army will open fire on them. An armed and stupid citizenry is our only hope for safe and secure lives.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

7 minutes ago, Nivek said:

You see James Stewart was a veteran who served in WW2 and earned the rank of Brigadier General before retiring from service.    John Wayne was a cosplay cowboy.   John Wayne is often fawned over as being a tough guy.   Stewart was the real badass. 

Kirk Douglas tells a great story about John Wayne chastising him for playing VanGogh in Lust for Life. 

In his memoir "The Ragman's Son" Kirk Douglas recounted that John Wayne attended a screening of the film, and was horrified. "Christ, Kirk! How can you play a part like that? There's so few of us left. We got to play strong, tough characters. Not those weak queers," Wayne said. Douglas tried to explain, "It's all make-believe, John. It isn't real. You're not really John Wayne, you know." Wayne (born Marion Morrison) looked at him oddly, as if Douglas had betrayed him.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Another school shooting in St Louis this AM. Three dead, including the shooter.

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/at-least-3-people-killed-including-suspect-after-shooting-inside-south-st-louis-high-school/article_0c3f8f55-e757-506c-b08a-27884257136e.html

ST. LOUIS — At least three people were killed, including the suspect, and seven more were injured after a shooting Monday morning at Central Visual & Performing Arts High School in south St. Louis.

A woman died at a hospital, and a teen girl was pronounced dead inside the school, both of gunshot wounds. 

The suspect, a male not yet identified but estimated to be in his 20s, was shot inside the school and pronounced dead at a hospital.

The shooting was reported after 9 a.m. at South Kingshighway and Arsenal Street. School doors were locked Monday morning and there were seven security workers on site, police said, but they would not indicate how the shooter got inside the building. 

David Williams, a math teacher at the school, said the school principal came over the loudspeaker around 9 a.m. and said the code word that indicates a school shooter in the building. Williams heard multiple shots outside his classroom, and one of the windows on the classroom door was shot out. He then heard a man say, "You are all going to (expletive) die."

People are also reading…

BenFred: Cardinals need a catcher, and departing Cubs leader Contreras could be great fit

Gordo: Cardinals retain front office, move into the offseason from a position of strength

Sibling sparring stirs Missouri Senate race

Where will ESPN College GameDay go Oct. 29 for college football Week 9? Top 5 sites ranked

Can't-Miss Play: Lions force Noah Brown into WILD front-flipping fumble

Can't-Miss Play: Lions force Noah Brown into WILD front-flipping fumbleclose

volume_off volume_up

volume_off

-0:11

sd

closed_caption

fullscreen

Auto (225p)

225p

360p

Subtitles Off

Subtitles EN

English

Detroit Lions safety DeShon Elliot forces Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Noah Brown into a WILD front-flipping fumble.

NFL |

0:14

Can't-Miss Play: Boyd's one-handed catch merits year-end highlight reel placement

NFL |

0:24

Can't-Miss Play: Ja'Marr Chase can't be caught on 41-yard TD catch and run

NFL |

0:27

Can't-Miss Play: Heinicke's 37-yard TD toss to McLaurin puts Commanders ahead

NFL |

0:27

Can't-Miss Play: Marvin Jones Jr.'s one-handed catch should be enshrined

NFL |

0:30

Is Tua Tagovailoa or Kenny Pickett the better DFS play? (FULL)

|

4:32

Best Bets for Steelers-Dolphins?

|

0:46

Will Darnell Mooney Eclipse 40.5 Receiving Yards on Monday Night?

|

0:54

Should you Captain Najee Harris this week?

|

1:05

Torey Krug - Goal from Edmonton Oilers vs. St. Louis Blues

|

0:39

Raymond J. Parks, a dance teacher at the school, said he was about to teach a ballet class when he saw a man wearing all black with a long gun out of the corner of his eye. Parks said the man pointed the gun at him but did not fire for some reason.

Nylah Jones, a ninth grader at the school, said she was in math class and the shooter fired into the room from the hallway but could not get into the classroom. Students piled into the corner of the room and tried not to move as the shooter banged on the door, she said. 

Ryane Owens, 18, a senior at CVPA, said students "thought it was a drill at first. Then we heard noises."

"Once you heard the boom," said teacher Michael De Filippo, "all the chuckling and laughing in the back of the room stopped."

Taniya Lumpkin was in speech and debate class at the time. She said a staff member told them to close and lock the door as they do for an intruder drill, but they "didn't know if it was real or not."

“Next thing you know, we just heard gunshots,” Nylah said. First single shots rang out, then multiple, then single again, she said.

Taniya Gholston, 16, another student at CVPA, said the shooter's gun eventually jammed and that she did not recognize him. She said she heard him say something about being "sick of this damn school."

Ja'miah Hampton, 16, was in vocal class on the fourth floor of the building when she heard gunshots on the third floor. "I heard one big one, and then there were so many I stopped counting," she said. "I'm confused why people are so cruel."

Dakota Willard, 14, who attends Collegiate School of Medicine and Bioscience — also housed in the CVPA building — said he saw what looked like one person, a girl, down at the end of the hallway that joins the two schools.

He said it looked like she was trying to run away by the way she was lying on the floor.

“What I saw was traumatizing,” Willard said. “I’m OK. I don’t need any special help.”

Scene of a school shooting at Central Visual and Performing Arts High School.

Tonya Neal, a certified nursing assistant at SLU Hospital, said she has a daughter and a niece who attend school there. At 9:19 a.m., she received a text from her daughter that read, “Mom, I love you.”

She didn't realize until later that there was an active shooter at the school. She said her daughter and niece are safe.

By 9:30 a.m., the entire area was blocked off by police, ambulances and a SWAT van. 

Students and staff streamed from the school with hands in the air, filing up Hereford Street toward the Schnucks on Arsenal, where hundreds of evacuees gathered.

Hundreds of people gathered in the Schnucks parking lot, where students and their parents were hugging each other.

One boy was consoling his mother. “I’m glad it’s over. My friends are alive. It’s OK, Mom, it’s OK, I’m here,” he said.

Keisha Acres, mother of sophomore Alexandria Bell, said she was still looking for her daughter at 10:30 a.m.

Several parents commended police response to the incident. 

CVPA was Southwest High School for decades until 1992. 

This is a breaking story and will be updated. 

11 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Just another morning in America.

3 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Just another morning in America.

CNN.com can't even be bothered to update their story: https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/24/us/st-louis-school-shooting/index.html

Two students were injured in a shooting at Central Visual and Performing Arts High School in St. Louis on Monday morning, according to a tweet from the district, and police report the suspect is in custody.

“Police are on site … following reports of an active shooter and both CVPA and Collegiate are on lockdown,” St. Louis Public Schools tweeted, referring to the adjacent Collegiate School of Medicine and Bioscience.

The “shooter was quickly stopped by police inside CVPA,” the post said.

1265346332_ScreenShot2022-10-24at12_20_19PM.png.73563a0fdf391a9a3a68cf1fd3700c6e.png

• Hook 'Em 1

Now we can focus on important shit like where he got the gun and the political fallout instead of why the fuck people (men) are doing this in our country.

The fact that's it's easy to acquire the necessary killing power is important, but it's not the only important thing.