Upcoming Texas Youth Summit

Macanudo

2 hours ago, Nivek said:

Many people just latch on to the first message they get.   As kids, we hear that the Pilgrims came to America for religious freedom.  We accept that as a kid, because we were kids.  As we grow older, we forget and do not think much about it.  If someone asks us, we recite what we we were taught as children or we take the time to look it up.  Only then do we find out we were not taught it correctly.  The Pilgrims already had religious freedom in in Europe (Dutch Republic).  They came here for economic opportunities. 

Lol you think the Dutch liked the pilgrims?

14 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

Lol you think the Dutch liked the pilgrims?

I have no knowledge of their enmity.  I have read that pilgrims were worried about their kids losing their English identity, but the economic situations (not improved relative to England) and dwindling recruiting efforts make the most sense to leave.

To be fair, all my knowledge of the Anglo-Dutch tension came from Michael Caine who once said, in a delightful British accent, "Only two things I hate.  People intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch."  And I took two European history courses in college...good ones.  

It saw a great sign the other day.  I'm gonna get it wrong but it was something like:

"Remember when we thought ignorance and stupidity were due to a lack of access to accurate information?  Then we invented the internet.  And proved that was totally not the fucking case."  

49 minutes ago, Nivek said:

I have no knowledge of their enmity.  I have read that pilgrims were worried about their kids losing their English identity, but the economic situations (not improved relative to England) and dwindling recruiting efforts make the most sense to leave.

Here’s a hint: the Puritans were asshole religious fanatics.

3 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Here’s a hint: the Puritans were asshole religious fanatics.

Pilgrims and Puritans are not the same.   Pilgrims were their own sect.  Puritans tried to change the Church of England from within.   Puritans were rich assholes.  Pilgrims were poor assholes.  

4 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Pilgrims and Puritans are not the same.   Pilgrims were their own sect.  Puritans tried to change the Church of England from within.   Puritans were rich assholes.  Pilgrims were poor assholes.  

My understanding is the pilgrims were Puritans who left England because those puritans weren’t fanatical enough. Regardless, that seems like semantics. The Pilgrims had to find a place where their version of religious rule could flourish. That really couldn’t happen in a religiously tolerant society like the Dutch had

On 8/27/2022 at 10:08 AM, A-Tex Devil said:

Forget it.  He’s (t)rolling.   

This conference is so on brand for The Woodlands.  

Definitely part of the reason I want to get out of here ASAP.  The rube mentality for a town that brags about being one of the top rated places to live in America is mind bottling.

56 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

My understanding is the pilgrims were Puritans who left England because those puritans weren’t fanatical enough. Regardless, that seems like semantics. The Pilgrims had to find a place where their version of religious rule could flourish. That really couldn’t happen in a religiously tolerant society like the Dutch had

This is correct. The Pilgrims were Puritans, but they were Separatists who wanted to establish their own churches as opposed to those Puritans who wanted to reform the Church of England.

52 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

This is correct. The Pilgrims were Puritans, but they were Separatists who wanted to establish their own churches as opposed to those Puritans who wanted to reform the Church of England.

That is partially correct.  They were both Calvinists but they were not the same and had different views on the world, others, and their place in it.  It could also be out of necessity, because the Pilgrims were ill equipped, poorly funded, and needed assistance from the local tribes to survive.  Puritans were better skilled, better funded, better staffed, and better equipped and didn't need the intervention to survive.  

37 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

Wow.  I click on this thread to see that slorch immediately slorch'd it with his idiocy.  So I flip to the last post and in three pages we've moved on to arguing Puritans vs. Pilgrims.  Good job, Surly.  You've outdone yourselves.  

Slorch slorching shit loses interest fairly quickly.  His driveby shitposting has been thoroughly refuted and he never sticks around for the typed ass-kicking.   Expect all shitposted threads to meander.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Nivek said:

That is partially correct.  They were both Calvinists but they were not the same and had different views on the world, others, and their place in it.  It could also be out of necessity, because the Pilgrims were ill equipped, poorly funded, and needed assistance from the local tribes to survive.  Puritans were better skilled, better funded, better staffed, and better equipped and didn't need the intervention to survive.  

Puritans were not monolithic-it was a movement, not a formally defined schism. The Pilgrims were part of the more radical Separatist faction. I’m not disputing those differences you’re pointing out between them and some other Puritans, but they all fall under that big umbrella term.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 8/27/2022 at 11:25 AM, aggie08 said:

You expect slorch to admit that he's talking out of his ass on the back of stereotypes and propaganda? And you claim to like him? Are you sure that you've ever talked to him?

I like a wide range of assholes on this site with differing politics, alma maters, and food tastes.  Even posters who can't correctly spell "aggy" in their usernames.

On 8/27/2022 at 12:52 AM, Macanudo said:

This is taking place in September at a church in The Woodlands.   The all-star cast of GQPers includes Ted Cuz, Kayleigh McEnany, Candace Owens, MTG, Gaetz, Boebert, Ken Paxton, Troy Nehls and Steve Toth.  

How the fuck are churches allowed to host this shit without losing their tax exemption status?

I expect local chain restaurants to be swarmed with youth who ask to push 7 tables together, all order water, and nobody tips.

• Hook 'Em 7

On 8/27/2022 at 2:07 AM, tx 3 putt said:

TYS+Event+Graphic+Revised.png+.png?forma

Sad that Cruz, MTG, Gaetz, Boebert and Paxton are now the top Republicans.

My guess is that these (perhaps minus Paxton) politicians hit the trail on the weekends to put money in their pockets. Here's $10-50K to show up to speak for 30 minutes. And it's probably allowable under IRS rules for a church to be behind this due to fact that the money is going to the candidate/person and not their campaign.

EDIT: I'm ok that Mattress Mack is a conservative but allowing yourself to be in the group lowers his standards. Good reminder that I will never walk into one of his stores again.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 8/27/2022 at 1:35 PM, Dutchrudder said:

I think he's misunderstanding what's actually happening at university. Kids who have been under strict rules and religious indoctrination are finally free to learn anything, without helicopter parents filtering the thoughts in their head. They can finally explore any subjects they want, discuss it with peers, and get completely different perspectives on things they never considered. They will experience some real world responsibility in taking care of themselves, homework, living in a dorm, etc. The whole world changes for them, and allows them to grow a lot of different ways. 

also this; 45.49 kB · 0 downloads

FB_IMG_1661607756006.thumb.jpg.49c28553dde00fd3f89b352992e694eb.jpg 

I don't misunderstand it.  I support public/ higher education because of it.  I'm on record as such multiple times embracing and encouraging exposure to those very different thoughts.  Go to virtually any substantial thread on this board discussing the topic, and you will find statements by me supporting what you allege that I don't understand.  The notion that these entities and educators themselves  are absolutely objective is ludicrous, but stating the obvious is somehow blasphemy upon your lives.  LOL.

But hail, hail, Slorch said something that sounds one way and we ran with it.  Peak CR.

Edited by slorch

7 minutes ago, slorch said:

I don't misunderstand it.  I support public/ higher education because of it.  I'm on record as such multiple times embracing and encouraging exposure to those very different thoughts.  Go to virtually any substantial thread on this board discussing the topic, and you will find statements by me supporting what you allege that I don't understand.  The notion that these entities and educators themselves  are absolutely objective is ludicrous, but stating the obvious is somehow blasphemy upon your lives.  LOL.

But hail, hail, Slorch said something that sounds one way and we ran with it.  Peak CR.

You said “indoctrination”.  If you are backtracking to “not objective” I guess I’ll take it?  

That list of attendees really is a clown show though.   Surprised DJT and Guilfoyle aren’t making it for lazy river orgies at the Convention Center.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Fuck off, slorch. You know damn well what you were trying to do. You conflated left-leaning educators passing along their inherent biases (and calling it "indoctrination") with the shit show that is having churches actively promote and sponsor that collection of GOP asshats purposely warping the minds of impressionable youth with lies and conspiracies. And then said that the former is way worse. Because you're dishonest and/or trolling.

Username does not check out.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Username does not check out.

And that kind of makes my point.

I can see Texas A&M having Mitt Romney, or someone of his ilk as a guest speaker. Sure, why not. They don't try to hide their right-leaning biases; he probably has an interesting story or two. But, even at A&M*, you'd get told to get fucked if you tried to invite the trio of Boebert, MTG, and Gaetz.

Because intellectually curious people would have zero interest in hearing the outright hate and conspiracies that are guaranteed to follow, even if they're on the same side of the political spectrum. Knowingly propagating lies is actual indoctrination. These churches don't give a fuck, though. Bring 'em in, spread their vile, fuck the libs ruining white, Christian America. That's all that matters.

*on campus. Texags would throw them a ticker-tape parade.

$50 says when they break out into small groups at the Texas Youth Summit, Gaetz conveniently gets "assigned" to the Females/Grades 9-12 banquet room instead of where he should actually be.  

"Oh shoot, I wanted to talk to the fellas about being a strong conservative male...but since I'm here.  Anybody know the bottle service situation at this place?"  

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

And that kind of makes my point.

I can see Texas A&M having Mitt Romney, or someone of his ilk as a guest speaker. Sure, why not. They don't try to hide their right-leaning biases; he probably has an interesting story or two. But, even at A&M*, you'd get told to get fucked if you tried to invite the trio of Boebert, MTG, and Gaetz.

Because intellectually curious people would have zero interest in hearing the outright hate and conspiracies that are guaranteed to follow, even if they're on the same side of the political spectrum. Knowingly propagating lies is actual indoctrination. These churches don't give a fuck, though. Bring 'em in, spread their vile, fuck the libs ruining white, Christian America. That's all that matters.

*on campus. Texags would throw them a ticker-tape parade.

I fucking guarantee you that a significant amount of the A&M population would welcome those three.   With arms wide open.

8 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

I fucking guarantee you that a significant amount of the A&M population would welcome those three.   With arms wide open.

I already noted: on campus vs. off. The students who would want those dipshits on the grounds would be heavily outnumbered. 

Yeah, I realize where I'm at and know I'm not going to win this one, but whatever. I actually went there. My sophomore year, some batshit organization almost caused a riot by setting up a "scared straight" anti-abortion booth with massive blown up images of aborted fetuses. If you think a bunch of 21 year old college students--even ones that skew conservative--want MTG'S stink on their campus, you're wrong.

They won't fully turn into Texags boomers for a few more years.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Yeah, I realize where I'm at and know I'm not going to win this one, but whatever. I actually went there. My sophomore year, some batshit organization almost caused a riot by setting up a "scared straight" anti-abortion booth with massive blown up images of aborted fetuses. If you think a bunch of 21 year old college students--even ones that skew conservative--want MTG'S stink on their campus, you're wrong.

They won't fully turn into Texags boomers for a few more years.

We had that on the UT campus as well around 2000 or so. And you know what, it stayed up and those people were allowed to to their disgusting business. Some felt the need to organize an impromptu protest across the street (this setup wasn’t south or west mall, it was on speedway near Gregory.)

nobody attacked them, nobody vandalized their stuff. They weren’t even getting yelled at the time I walked by. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Celery Man said:

i remember when Jesus used to get mad about moneychangers in the temple. they've got fucking Ken Paxton and Matt Gaetz speaking at this thing.

Um.  I hate to break it to you.  But modern christianity exists without Jesus being a centerpoint.  He is more like Ronald McDonald since he got pushed to the side.  I mean he is more prominent that Frito Bandito, but he really isn't instrumental to the business model anymore.   

6 minutes ago, ONE YARD said:

Can gaetz even be around youth?  Isn’t he a child rapist or something?

I've brought this up before.  The fact that he keeps appearing at these events suggests that the FBI [or whoever is investigating him] has absolutely nothing that they could potentially charge him with.  

On 8/29/2022 at 4:31 PM, aggie08 said:

I already noted: on campus vs. off. The students who would want those dipshits on the grounds would be heavily outnumbered. 

Based on the protests against Richard Spencer I can see this happening.

On 8/29/2022 at 8:00 AM, Longhornfan1024 said:

Wow.  I click on this thread to see that slorch immediately slorch'd it with his idiocy.  So I flip to the last post and in three pages we've moved on to arguing Puritans vs. Pilgrims.  Good job, Surly.  You've outdone yourselves.  

You just don’t understand @slorch

For a better understanding of him go to “Shit I’ve cooked Lately” thread. 
Dud is at his sons FIL and MIL place in Jersey. Of course he starts bitching about bagels for breakfast. Gets called out and show us. He then bitches he can’t find tortillas or proper meat to cook breakfast tacos.  

He is the guy we all have met that says “if you did it my way, you wouldn’t have to put up with this”. 
It’s always about him. No empathy for anyone else. You are never right and he is never wrong. The guy we all avoid in social situations because his stuff is ALWAYS better than yours and he can’t wait to tell you. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

So who went?

I saw one clip of hobgoblin MTG but perhaps they just played the hits so no new racism or xenophobia beyond the standard fare. 

Crazy how MTG, Boebert and Gaetz have become the defacto top speakers for the conservative movement. And Cawthorn was the 4th until he went crazy.

I guess that in today's world, it doesn't pay to be the well respected (arguably) back bencher that works for your constituents.