Nebraska vs Nawfwestern - 11:30am - FOX (9:30 Pacific)

Pancho

2 hours ago, Newy25 said:

Unless I am mistaken, he was not on the field for much of the last two Northwestern drives when they were running clock. One of the strengths of Mathis was supposed to be his ability to set the edge. Anyone have the story there? 

Yeah - 2020 was the aberration.  2021 showed that he's fucking terrible playing the run and as soon as Northwestern decided they were going to run every down regardless of distance Nebraska had Mathis' happy ass on the bench.

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he doesn't get fired after this then their schedule is so bad it might give them hope before November crushes him

Here are their next 7 games...

North Dakota

Georgia Southern

Oklahoma

Indiana

@ Rutgers

@ Purdue

Illinois

Final 4 games..Minnesota, @ Michigan, Wisconsin, @ Iowa.

Edited by SimonBolivar

1 minute ago, SimonBolivar said:

If he doesn't get fired after this then their schedule is so bad it might give them hope before November crushes him

Here are their next 7 games...

North Dakota

Georgia Southern

Oklahoma

Indiana

@ Rutgers

@ Purdue

Illinois

Final 4...Minnesota, @ Michigan, Wisconsin, @ Iowa.

Could definitely see them going 6-2 coming out of that stretch then finishing 6-6 after that last 4. Casey Thompson will be responsible for all their wins but, of course, will have nothing to do with the loses.

7 minutes ago, Alien Octopus said:

Best College Football fans anywhere, just ask them.

Yeah it was entertaining to see them transition. They were great fans when they were winning 99% of their games. Enter evil Texas and they became corn aggy real quick. I remember it being noticeable each trip to Lincoln. My first time there I remember being given rides to stadium, invited to tailgates. By the last time I went to Lincoln, they were the same as any po dunk, whiny, trash fan base. Bet they'd take Solich nowadays. 58-19 75% and fired after going 9-3.  

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, CptnJiggleBits said:

Yeah it was entertaining to see them transition. They were great fans when they were winning 99% of their games. Enter evil Texas and they became corn aggy real quick. I remember it being noticeable each trip to Lincoln. My first time there I remember being given rides to stadium, invited to tailgates. By the last time I went to Lincoln, they were the same as any po dunk, whiny, trash fan base. Bet they'd take Solich nowadays. 58-19 75% and fired after going 9-3.  

I didn't go to the Ricky game in Lincoln, but their traveling fans were already trash by the time they visited Austin.  So was their team.  Hey to Raiola.  What a dick.

Per PFF Ochaun Mathis only played 36 of the 85 possible defensive snaps.  By snap count Mathis was the 3rd 'Edge' for Nebraska.

image.thumb.png.c3aca4f0b976e77ba5462a3a830ade77.png

PFF credited him with 1 Hurry, 3tkl, and 2 'stops'.  He was their third highest graded run defender on Nebraska - despite the fact that he basically didn't play in the second half once Nebraska realized Northwestern was going to run it down their throats.

Pat Fitzgerald is a solid coach who gets his players motivated and prepared to win, and his assistants get gameplans ready and have their players primed for the games. They aren't overwhelmingly talented and they get plans for the game to even out the talent gap.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, 6th Street said:

They were showing the replay on the Big 10 network earlier. That was a vintage Casey Thompson 2H performance. Stalled drives, sacks, and a game ending INT. Basically looked identical to one of our many collapses last year. 

I think a lot of the late game collapses of CT is tied to teams finally realizing how often he can get the ball in his receivers catch radius but not really consistently be able to put the ball in a position for them to be successful after the catch.  As the pressure mounts he becomes more and more likely to miss behind and/or high. 

So teams crank up the pressure late knowing he is either going to hold it a bit too long for the sack or derp out and put the ball in a spot that the defender can make a contested play on it.  

Early in the game teams try to limit pressure because he does have enough talent to occasionally hit big on a busted play on pressure, but late game it is worth it from a risk vs reward standpoint.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

If Matt Campbell can win at Iowa State then he (or a coach as good as him) can win at Nebraska.  Not 1990s win but at least have a winning record again.  I mean, look at Kirk Ferentz too.  You can win in a corn field if you know your limitations.  

Nebraska fans don't know, and don't want to know, their limitations. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The question is who is willing to go coach there after Frost? There are a ton of red flags for that job.

Bad recruiting area - check

Unrealistic expectations - check

Replacing a young alum that had success elsewhere and still failed there - check

Considered middle of the pack in terms of value/prestige of teams in the conference - check

Didn't fire the last coach when needed due to financial issues - check

Who are they going to get to go to that career death trap at this point? The list of big named targets that would actually come there is much smaller than the unrealistic list you see fans come up with. My guess is another "hot" coaching prospect that is a DC at a big school. It wouldn't shock me to see them try and grab a young coordinator from the heart of the Big 10.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Per PFF Ochaun Mathis only played 36 of the 85 possible defensive snaps.  By snap count Mathis was the 3rd 'Edge' for Nebraska.

image.thumb.png.c3aca4f0b976e77ba5462a3a830ade77.png

PFF credited him with 1 Hurry, 3tkl, and 2 'stops'.  He was their third highest graded run defender on Nebraska - despite the fact that he basically didn't play in the second half once Nebraska realized Northwestern was going to run it down their throats.

Damn Patterson told him to visit to leverage the Nebraska deal. Good guy Texas and we fuck Nebraska… double win

5 hours ago, Laxtonto said:

I think a lot of the late game collapses of CT is tied to teams finally realizing how often he can get the ball in his receivers catch radius but not really consistently be able to put the ball in a position for them to be successful after the catch.  As the pressure mounts he becomes more and more likely to miss behind and/or high. 

So teams crank up the pressure late knowing he is either going to hold it a bit too long for the sack or derp out and put the ball in a spot that the defender can make a contested play on it.  

Early in the game teams try to limit pressure because he does have enough talent to occasionally hit big on a busted play on pressure, but late game it is worth it from a risk vs reward standpoint.

The weird thing with Casey is that his accuracy doesn't seem to drop THAT much when he gets flustered. Just enough that the balls are really hard to catch but everyone blames the receiver. This INT to end the game is a perfect example of that. I think that's why he gets more slack for his play than if he were just heaving it straight into the ground or DB's hands.

2 hours ago, Laxtonto said:

The question is who is willing to go coach there after Frost? There are a ton of red flags for that job.

Bad recruiting area - check

Unrealistic expectations - check

Replacing a young alum that had success elsewhere and still failed there - check

Considered middle of the pack in terms of value/prestige of teams in the conference - check

Didn't fire the last coach when needed due to financial issues - check

Who are they going to get to go to that career death trap at this point? The list of big named targets that would actually come there is much smaller than the unrealistic list you see fans come up with. My guess is another "hot" coaching prospect that is a DC at a big school. It wouldn't shock me to see them try and grab a young coordinator from the heart of the Big 10.

They should call Pelini up and ask if he would like to piss his pants on their sideline again.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Xminus6 said:

The weird thing with Casey is that his accuracy doesn't seem to drop THAT much when he gets flustered. Just enough that the balls are really hard to catch but everyone blames the receiver. This INT to end the game is a perfect example of that. I think that's why he gets more slack for his play than if he were just heaving it straight into the ground or DB's hands.

He has a noodle arm

On 8/27/2022 at 5:51 PM, UTEE97 said:

They ain’t doing golf claps anymore now for a long time.  Instead of blaming Texas for their ruination, they need to look in the mirror for going to the B10.  Fuck those cunts.

Edited by Horn80