Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

7 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Not saying you're wrong, just that I don't remember anyone saying Colt should be benched after his phenom freshman year. Though would not be surprised.

Chiles should starts. 

Which was really stupid then. The real answer was let Jamaal run.

• Hook 'Em 2

Maybe Ewers is serviceable with a perfect pocket, but he is just an absolute shithead with unsalvageable mechanics when he starts to get to hit in a game. Once he loses faith in the OL, every throw is off the back foot and sails. Watching Murphy generate power through his footwork & hitch is like night and day.

With a perfect pocket, gist first read completely open, the sun not in his eyes, no breeze, and 1 game out of the year…..he can be pretty serviceable.
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

42 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

He was very accurate with his deep balls. Even in the NFL. Early in his college career he had this weird tendency to short arm screen passes. 

Dont get me started on his game winning drive on Monday Night Football. I was on the phone with a girl and doing Business Cal. Yeah, I did not get go smash. I put Vince ahead of her.  She was a desperate slut though. She pushed me into asking her for her number. Her words were , "Are you going to ask me for my number or what".

Edited by Enemy07

1 minute ago, Hank_Hill said:

Ewers sucks, but acting like you can glean anything from Murphys 3 completions is just silly. Down to see more of him and see where it goes at this point though.

True. But how long did it take you to realize Vince was the man. Or any other Colllege QB that lit college up and made it in the NFL?  I am not saying Murphy is the answer but there is a lot of indictors pointing to successful QBs at the collegiate level.

35 minutes ago, Enemy07 said:

True. But how long did it take you to realize Vince was the man. Or any other Colllege QB that lit college up and made it in the NFL?  I am not saying Murphy is the answer but there is a lot of indictors pointing to successful QBs at the collegiate level.

So, Quinn is Chance Mock?

1 hour ago, Enemy07 said:

Dont get me started on his game winning drive on Monday Night Football. I was on the phone with a girl and doing Business Cal. Yeah, I did not get go smash. I put Vince ahead of her.  She was a desperate slut though. She pushed me into asking her for her number. Her words were , "Are you going to ask me for my number or what".

The Big Lebowski What GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I had this same convo earlier.  It reminds me, horrifyingly, of the Simms vs Applewhite conundrum.  I'm sure Ewers looks great in practice.  If he can't turn it on under the lights, I don't give a fuck about practice.  There are plenty of people who don't perform well in games, but look great in practice.  It's on the coaches to figure that out.

Sark said something kind of similar in the post game in reference to Jayden Blue basically implying he was almost surprised at how well he ran when he got in the game because Blue doesn’t run like that in practice.  

I don’t know what happens in practice but what we’ve seen in games now for a year from Quinn isn’t awe inspiring.  

If it translates to wins I don’t care how ugly it is but Sark can’t let him throw us out of games like he did last season.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

By way of comparison, Jalen Milroe, “the RB playing QB” that we face next week, hit three deep passes in Bama’s game last night. 

Quinn certainly seems much more comfortable and efficient in a short-intermediate RPO-based passing game, but Sark seems he’ll bent on forcing him into the big game hunting deep shot framework.  

And yes, the OL’s inability to manhandle Rice is a concern no matter what scheme we run or who is at QB 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 hours ago, Gaffords said:

Yeah, that was something different.  I'd swear AD's move not only caught the back off guard, it did the same to Quinn.  It looked like he was still dropping back on a deep drop when he realized that AD was already heading into the end zone and he had to make the throw then because by the time he'd caught his balance enough to get his feet underneath him and set, that window would have closed and AD would have been in the stands.  He was moving.  

It was ugly either way, but probably the right call because the only option the cover guy had as bad as he was beat, was tondo exactly what he did, and mug AD before the ball got there. It just wasn't called. No surprise there though...

I do question his deep ball, but outside of it, he wasn't that bad today.   Rice did a good job of designing who they were sending and who was dropping back which made pur offensive line look stupid way too often, which isn't good for any QB.  19 of 30 with a catch by the x-man called back, another that Brooks just dropped (which would've been a touchdown) another one dropped in the end zone when our receivers bunched up, and the ball was knocked out of (whoever it was) hands by a defenders helmet....  seems like there was a couple of other drops but I might be wrong....  but either way, three more catches with two being touchdowns is a different picture, especially when you add two more passes that should have been flagged for blatant pass interference....    

I'm not sold on Quinn yet, I'm on the fence there, but he isn't as bad as some of the idiots around here make him out to be.  Colt couldn't hit the deep ball either, yet we know how much that mattered....  But there were plenty of idiots during most of  his Sophomore year who wanted him benched also...  wash-rinse-repeat is the standard around here

Irony.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Ewers sucks, but acting like you can glean anything from Murphys 3 completions is just silly. Down to see more of him and see where it goes at this point though.

That Murphy slant route is about to be this year’s version of Christian Scott lighting up that Kansas RB in 2008. He’ll be replacing Gideon any day now!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Duane Moore said:

Quinn certainly seems much more comfortable and efficient in a short-intermediate RPO-based passing game,   but Sark seems he’ll bent on forcing him into the big game hunting deep shot framework.  

And yes, the OL’s inability to manhandle Rice is a concern no matter what scheme we run or who is at QB 

giphy.gif

• Use shorter passing game more
  • Get ball out quicker to help OL & Quinn
  • Quinn has to hit 70%+/gm completions
  • How about more passes to RBs & TEs

Get better week to week... Keep improving 

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I don’t think I can draw any conclusion from the passing game of this offense from the game yesterday due to running the most basic of concepts and not challenging the rice secondary with more complex stuff. I think the biggest negative was not being able to have our way in short yardage with their DL 

• Rage+1 2

In the middle of watching the replay now after being there live yesterday.

1) Not sure where that ‘no completions on passes that traveled more than 15 yards in the air’ stat comes from. There were several in the 3rd quarter alone. One to Worthy and one to Whittington.

2) There was PI on at least two of the deep shots. The one to Mitchell was atrocious mechanics as we all noted real time. There was a free rusher that had broken through and Ewers rushed everything in that play. 

3) His earlier deep shots looked better mechanics wise but once the OL kept leaking it seemed to get in his head

4) I thought he moved a little better in the pocket compared to last year but still self sacked at least once when he unnecessarily stepped into the front of the pocket and into the waiting arms of an engaged DL.

5) I wonder how the direction of the game changes if he doesn’t slip on that 3rd down scramble on the first possession of the game (get grass in DKR). Would have been an easy first down and probably much more. We score on that drive and the floodgates open much earlier and we are up 24-3 at half or some such.

6) This is a random observation that’d I’d have to dig in deeper to fully verify, but it seems we take the majority of our deep shots out of the pistol on play action where Ewers is turning his back for a brief moment to the defense and seems anxious to whip his head back around and see if the picture has changed. Wonder if we should be running these play action shots out of the traditional shotgun more where his shoulder and body stay more square.

Like I said yesterday, you can’t just abandon these deep throws because you have to mix them in to keep defenses honest and keep other aspects of the offense open. We could have screened and quick game’d Rice to 50 points yesterday without throwing downfield at all if we wanted but obviously you can’t get away with that against better defenses.

425 yards and 37 points in 3 quarters never felt more meh. One of those field goals turn into a TD in the first half and the box score looks much prettier.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 6

12 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

1) Not sure where that ‘no completions on passes that traveled more than 15 yards in the air’ stat comes from. There were several in the 3rd quarter alone. One to Worthy and one to Whittington.

ESPN wrote that he was 0-7 on 15yd’ers.

Yahoo play by play shows a 16yd completion to Whit and 19yd to Worthy. 

Hope to god dude isnt the cfb version of Ben Simmons

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m not sure how much QBs and WR are going to be able to count on the PI for underthrown deep balls this year unless it’s blatant face guarding. From the games I watched yesterday there were several no calls where the db made a half assed attempt to turn and locate the ball. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

ESPN wrote that he was 0-7 on 15yd’ers.
Yahoo play by play shows a 16yd completion to Whit and 19yd to Worthy. 
Hope to god dude isnt the cfb version of Ben Simmons

I took that stat to mean passes that traveled 15 or more yards past the LOS. Still not sure if that’s accurate or not.

41 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I don’t think I can draw any conclusion from the passing game of this offense from the game yesterday due to running the most basic of concepts and not challenging the rice secondary with more complex stuff.

keep fucking that chicken.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I knew, along with the entire rest of the viewing audience, that Vince Young was a bad mother fucker the first time he ever carried the ball for Texas.

I was at that KState game when he lead the comeback his freshman year. I came home and told my wife that VY was different. She was cheering for Mock as he went to The Woodlands High School too, but I told her that Mock had no chance of keeping VY on the bench.

Yeah, we basically ran the most vanilla shit.  Sark isn’t putting anything on tape for Bama.  We saw this last year as well from game 1 to game 2.  OL also looked like dogshit.  They looked much better in the 2nd half when DJ Campbell came out of the game.  DJ was letting guys run straight past him, looked completely confused.  Hard to use your insane athleticism when you’re blocking air.  Might want to start Neto at LG and Connor at RG till Campbell gets the mental side. 

With that said, Quinn looks like a guy that needs a clean pocket, open WR and even then, it’s iffy if he can make the deep pass.  It’s as if he realized he fucked around for 2 years and now is trying to pull an all nighter and get better before this years draft.  That’s not how this works.  He completely fucked in his development by skipping his senior year, fucking around on scout team at tOSU, and then showing up completely out of shape his first year in Austin.  He can make every throw and looks good in drills.  However he’s a robot during games.  Has no feel for the game and doesn’t elevate his team with his play.  Most elite QBs look elite right away.  Trevor Lawrence, Bryce Young, Caleb Williams, Justin Fields, and on and on.  Quinn was rated higher than all of those guys yet I’m not sure he even looked better than JT Daniels yesterday in his 3rd year.  

I expect us to look show a lot better against Bama from a scheme standpoint.  But Quinn is going to have to execute.  If not, we’re going to be a 8-10 win team.

Edited by victory88
  • Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Yeah, we basically ran the most vanilla shit.  Sark isn’t putting anything on tape for Bama.  We saw this last year as well from game 1 to game 2.  OL also looked like dogshit.  They looked much better in the 2nd half when DJ Campbell came out of the game.  DJ was letting guys run straight past him, looked completely confused.  Hard to use your insane athleticism when you’re blocking air.  Might want to start Neto at LG and Connor at RG till Campbell gets the mental side. 

With that said, Quinn looks like a guy that needs a clean pocket, open WR and even then, it’s iffy if he can make the deep pass.  It’s as if he realized he fucked around for 2 years and now is trying to pull an all nighter and get better before this years draft.  That’s not how this works.  He completely fucked in his development by skipping his senior year, fucking around on scout team at tOSU, and then showing up completely out of shape his first year in Austin.  He can make every throw and looks good in drills.  However he’s a robot during games.  Has no feel for the game and doesn’t elevate his team with his play.  Most elite QBs look elite right away.  Trevor Lawrence, Bryce Young, Caleb Williams, Justin Fields, and on and on.  Quinn was rated higher than all of those guys yet I’m not sure he even looked better than JT Daniels yesterday in his 3rd year.  

I expect us to look show a lot better against Bama from a scheme standpoint.  But Quinn is going to have to execute.  If not, we’re going to be a 8-10 win team.

Iffy if he can make a deep pass? He is fucking TERRIBLE throwing deep. It's the opposite of iffy. If he launches it deep, it's an incompletion.

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Thought you could sneak this in there without anyone noticing? Lol.

JT Daniels and his 15.3 QBR yesterday.

Have those QBs switch teams and what do you think Quinn’s QBR would be?  He looked just flat out average and uninspiring yesterday.  Outside of 1 quarter against Bama, the ou game, and Washington…. He has played poorly to maybe average.

3 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Have those QBs switch teams and what do you think Quinn’s QBR would be?  He looked just flat out average and uninspiring yesterday.  Outside of 1 quarter against Bama, the ou game, and Washington…. He has played poorly to maybe average.

This a stupid argument. JT Daniels sucks and we’ve seen it 3 different times now at DKR. Sticking him and his 5.8 40 time behind this OL yesterday would have produced nothing of substance.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I certainly don’t think Quinn is as bad or would play as bad as JT Daniels lol. I get the hyperbole but that’s an insane take to actually defend.

There’s a reason why he is ending his career at Rice.

Edited by hobbes2702

The book on Quinn is not going to be written in Tuscaloosa next week. I fully expect us to have a good gameplan and he’ll look good at times and make some good throws. And even if he does struggle at times, it’s the #4 team in the country with the best defense we will face all year. The line of good QB’s who have struggled against Bama forms to the left.

The book is going to be written in the 2-3 games following Bama. Games in which once you in the flow of a season should be good performances against average to below average defenses.

Edited by Hookem2147

College football, you 100% have to have a QB who can make yards when the play breaks down. You have to be mobile enough to evade a rush and when you are flushed out, have the poise to get rid of it, find an outlet or tuck it and get yards moving first laterally and then cutting up field.  QE can do none of the above and thus we are screwed. If/when MM shows his ability in a game to make a lateral move , then a cut and tuck it, off schedule, QE won’t ever see the field again. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Re: the prospect of potentially benching QE in a game for performance issues… I’m not holding my breath. Anyone with two eyes and a pulse could see we would’ve likely won those Tech and Ok St games last year if he’d been benched for Card. We were joking Card must’ve fucked his wife or something. It was incomprehensible leaving him out there.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

9 minutes ago, HuntinHorn said:

If Murphy is to be our eventual savior, he’s going to have to get that catching snaps thing down first.

However that happens, Injury, illness , discipline, performance , equipment issue, whatever it is, if MM makes plays in a meaningful game, then QE era is over 

Edited by jdhorn92
  • Drool 2

1 minute ago, D_Goose said:

Re: the prospect of potentially benching QE in a game for performance issues… I’m not holding my breath. Anyone with two eyes and a pulse could see we would’ve likely won those Tech and Ok St games last year if he’d been benched for Card. We were joking Card must’ve fucked his wife or something. It was incomprehensible leaving him out there.

My brain has basically deleted the past however many years of Texas football but got damn that's spot on. Leaving him in at points last year was criminally stupid on Sark's part. 

• Hook 'Em 3

• immamac changed the title to Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet