Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers

Zeus

8 hours ago, Cajun said:

Mf'er throws seeds.  Has DP given him a look?

I had to read this a few times to get it… that would be hilarious. 

6 minutes ago, Keef said:

Good grief.  Some hard-hitting journalism right here

Gbenda had to stop before he got to the big swinging dick part. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I’m optimistic about Maalik and the next few games, but not because of any Spring Game footage.  Those passes were thrown against the backups on a pass defense that currently ranks 62nd in the country.  You can’t infer a damned thing from that.  

Murphy was throwing to backups too… If not the spring game, what gives you confidence? Blind hope? His 4 of 8 for 47 career passing numbers? BDE?

1 minute ago, B00M said:

Murphy was throwing to backups too… If not the spring game, what gives you confidence? Blind hope? His 4 of 8 for 47 career passing numbers? BDE?

Our back up receivers are better than our starting DBs.  And yes, blind hope pretty much.  Nobody knows what to expect and anyone who claims to is just manufacturing some shit to believe.  Nothing wrong with that, but for me it’s just general optimism not based on much.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

I hold out hope that we will roll out a backup QB who doesn't look like he's attempting his first pass since peewee football. Every other program has a walk on QB come in and throw for 400 yards in their first game against Texas. Why not us? I know we ain't playing our own defense but still.

FIFY.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Iowa State lost to fucking Ohio University 10-7! We are not losing to those farmer fucks. 

I mean, I get it. I can understand saying this based on this result. 

But, college football isn’t static. ISU also beat Oklahoma State, which now people are saying “hold up, could they beat ou and get to the title game?” But they also lost to Iowa. They have improved and we are playing in Ames where we have lost there 3 of the last 4 times. Combine that with how ISU could be 5-2 or 6-1 in conference play by the time our game arrives along with the fact that it will be the last time Texas plays in Ames in most likely forever, that place will be rocking.

People overlooking this game just based on their loss to Ohio are not counting other variables that will make this game tougher than we think. 

Texas beat Alabama in Tuscaloosa. Are we the same team as then or nah?

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, CashMcCoy said:

Honestly I’m 20 years younger than the average Surly poster, but I do feel that way these days.

43 minutes ago, JMFP said:

I think that still makes you about 55ish?

Makes me curious about the average age of the Surlies. Immamac,  make it happen..what is the average age?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Iowa State lost to fucking Ohio University 10-7! We are not losing to those farmer fucks. 

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

I mean, I get it. I can understand saying this based on this result. 

But, college football isn’t static. ISU also beat Oklahoma State, which now people are saying “hold up, could they beat ou and get to the title game?” But they also lost to Iowa. They have improved and we are playing in Ames where we have lost there 3 of the last 4 times. Combine that with how ISU could be 5-2 or 6-1 in conference play by the time our game arrives along with the fact that it will be the last time Texas plays in Ames in most likely forever, that place will be rocking.

People overlooking this game just based on their loss to Ohio are not counting other variables that will make this game tougher than we think. 

Texas beat Alabama in Tuscaloosa. Are we the same team as then or nah?

exactly.

fucking rice beat houston and we had to hang on for dear life to beat them.  we are not consistent or dominant enough to take any win for granted at this point if we can't poundtown houston.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Makes me curious about the average age of the Surlies. Immamac,  make it happen..what is the average age?

I don't remember which board it was on but about 20 years ago somebody started a thread  titled something to the effect how old are you guys anyway.  

I couldn't believe how much action it got,  it was interesting.

That KSU dude came off the bench and ripped Tech for 5 TDs. Unbelievable talent evaluation there

Yes unlivable eval on the #1 in state, top-10 national QB, and national top 100 composite prospect. Real diamond in the rough there.
From Horns247:
“The most impressive fact about Maalik Murphy to me is that he was first offered by three different offensive coordinators at Texas,” Roach said. “Tim Beck made him the first QB offer in the 2022 class, and Mike Yurcich re-offered as soon as he was hired at Texas. When Steve Sarkisian took over, Murphy was once again a priority target for the Longhorns. Though they once had a commitment from Quinn Ewers and were working to flip him while he was pledged to Ohio State, it was clear that Murphy possessed tools that each coach loved.
“One, I think he loves the culture of Texas, the community, you know, the people, everything around it,” Hernandez said of what kept Murphy in Austin. “He’s been excited to be there. He’s kind of changed the way he is. I was there this summer and he picked me up in his car. He was just playing nothing but country music the entire time. He said it’s all he listens to. He was like I love it. He could see I loved it. We’ve been sending each other songs. He’s just really bought in. He really loves it there. Again, the personalty that Maalik has, he’s not one to shy away from competition. There were a lot of opportunities, even coming out of high school going into college, where probably the path seemed smoother to be QB1. He said this program checks the boxes for me and I’m not scared to compete and I’m not going anywhere. He’s a fighter.” 

Hard to imagine Murphy in Herman’s offense

58 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

I know its  work in progress, but Maalik has a lot of work to do on that throwing motion. It is really long. He will get away with that in college, but that isnt going to work at the next level.. That ball comes from his hip. 

Times like there are why I was so disappointed in our Wyoming game where we should have run up the first half score to get Maalik some live game snaps.  I think the kid has shown he has talent, and the real question now is how will he handle the pressure? Both emotionally and from the defense.  I also wonder if we hamstring him by conservative and predictable play calling.  I understand some conservatism, but this offense doesn't work if you make too many conservative calls.

I am rooting like crazy for the kid, because I am always rooting for any kid that comes in under a microscope of pressure.  These are the opportunities that every backup dreams of, so it's up to Maalik to take advantage and plant his own flag.  Hell I hope the kid does so well it makes getting Ewers healthy much less of an issue.  Hope he can take advantage of the opportunity in front of him and become "a Longhorn Legend!"

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

Just now, horn4life said:

Times like there are why I was so disappointed in our Wyoming game where we should have run up the first half score to get Maalik some live game snaps.  I think the kid has shown he has talent, and the real question now is how will he handle the pressure? Both emotionally and from the defense.  I also wonder if we hamstring him by conservative and predictable play calling.  I understand some conservatism, but this offense doesn't work if you make too many conservative calls.

I am rooting like crazy for the kid, because I am always rooting for any kid that comes in under a microscope of pressure.  These are the opportunities that every backup dreams of, so it's up to Maalik to take advantage and plant his own flag.  Hell I hope the kid does so well it makes getting Ewers healthy much less of an issue.  Hope he can take advantage of the opportunity in front of him and become "a Longhorn Legend!"

Wyoming is 5-2 with their only losses coming from us and a 7-0 Air Force team.

They're a good quality opponent.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

I know its  work in progress, but Maalik has a lot of work to do on that throwing motion. It is really long. He will get away with that in college, but that isnt going to work at the next level.. That ball comes from his hip. 

We really just need him to get away with it for a few weeks. If his confidence is rewarded early against BYU, I'll feel much better about K-State, TCU, and Iowa State. 

Hopefully they give him plenty of blitz beaters though, he'll get in trouble with disguised coverages if he determines his targets pre-snap too often.

6 minutes ago, Atticus said:

We really just need him to get away with it for a few weeks. If his confidence is rewarded early against BYU, I'll feel much better about K-State, TCU, and Iowa State. 

Hopefully they give him plenty of blitz beaters though, he'll get in trouble with disguised coverages if he determines his targets pre-snap too often.

i dont think it will be a problem in the coming weeks. I am guessing  Sark reverts to more of a run game and play action shots type of offense. Only worry vs BYU is a fumble. They cause a lot turnovers and he brings that ball down to his hip. 

• immamac changed the title to Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers