2023 NFL DRAFT

LTtxfan

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

It’s funny, the knock on Stroud is that even though he has nothing but great tape it doesn’t count because of the quality of his supporting cast; Levis, however, clearly sucks because just look at his tape last year at Kentucky….

32 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

He had an excellent start to a career that fizzled when tape review caught up with his disinterest in putting the work in to evolve and also being saddled with a HC with an agenda against him. Anyone intimating that he was a bust didn’t pay attention. 

I wake every day and thank God for Vince Young. Every Texas football fan should. He led a talent rich team to all-time glory as his OC and HC often unwittingly but actively created obstacles to keep that from happening.

This is a Texas board. How the back end of his NFL career matters not to how any Texas fan should feel about the guy and what he gave to the school. Fuck you and any other ignorant piece of shit that attempts to position things otherwise on this board, motherfucker. 

So maybe a cognitive test does have some value. 

Edited by Irieguy
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 7

5 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Vice was bashed for the Wonderlic. Stroud’s awful score was on a different test. As far as we know, that score, if there is one, isn’t public. 

Yes it is. The new test has a floor of like 71% for QBs as a marker if they will "succeed" in the processing component required to be a top QB in the league. Stroud scored an 18. I don't really buy that he is going to be a failure because of one test, but if you are picking number 1 overall and he busts, you are likely getting fired for ignoring it. 

10 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Yes it is. The new test has a floor of like 71% for QBs as a marker if they will "succeed" in the processing component required to be a top QB in the league. Stroud scored an 18. I don't really buy that he is going to be a failure because of one test, but if you are picking number 1 overall and he busts, you are likely getting fired for ignoring it. 

"Public score" was in reference to VY and the new test.

Is the test Stroud scored an 18 on only for QBs?  Do they still give the wonderlic in addition to this test for QBs or has this completely replaced the wonderlic?

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

You nailed it. A test to identify how quickly someone can process information absolutely determines whether the player will watch film. How could anyone not see that? 

I suppose if I was an idiot I would be unable to make the connection that people don’t like to repeatedly do things they don’t have a natural aptitude for. But I’m not an idiot, so no worries. 👍

48 minutes ago, Irieguy said:

I suppose if I was an idiot I would be unable to make the connection that people don’t like to repeatedly do things they don’t have a natural aptitude for. But I’m not an idiot, so no worries. 👍

No shit? You post like one here, so you're fashioning quite the disguise.

• Haha 2

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-draft-2023-wonderlic-replacement-s2-test-scores-leaked-c-j-stroud-had-lowest-among-qbs-per-report/

The Wonderlic was a traditional test of verbal, math, and reasoning. It showed who had actually learned to read and cipher in school.

Th S2 test is more like a video game and presents QBs with cognition problems to solve in football terms. Bryce Young scored a 98. Cj an 18. Mahomes and Josh Allen scored high 90’s. If true CJ has the football brains of a turnip.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

"Public score" was in reference to VY and the new test.

Is the test Stroud scored an 18 on only for QBs?  Do they still give the wonderlic in addition to this test for QBs or has this completely replaced the wonderlic?

I am pretty sure VYs wonderlic was pretty well publicized at the time, If I recall he scored like a 5 or something like that. I believe this test is in addition to the wonderlic. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-draft-2023-wonderlic-replacement-s2-test-scores-leaked-c-j-stroud-had-lowest-among-qbs-per-report/

The Wonderlic was a traditional test of verbal, math, and reasoning. It showed who had actually learned to read and cipher in school.

Th S2 test is more like a video game and presents QBs with cognition problems to solve in football terms. Bryce Young scored a 98. Cj an 18. Mahomes and Josh Allen scored high 90’s. If true CJ has the football brains of a turnip.

It’s weird that you read the article but failed to mention the guy who created the test all but said Stroud’s leaked score isn’t representative because he took it under bad conditions and that he retook it and scored higher. 

2 hours ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

So the cj stroud score thing is bs and the score isn’t representative.

How do you reach that conclusion? S2 is being used in several sports for any athlete whose position or role requires fast thinking and recognition. Stroud’s result could yield a conclusion that he doesn’t call his own plays or even read defenses, but rather just throw to a predetermined receiver. When he has NFL caliber WRs against Big10 DBs and an OC calling good plays, you could have a brain dead robot back there as long as they throw accurately. What’s most bizarre is how he was an outlier a good 30 or 40 points lower than the second worst QB, and 80 points lower than Bryce Young. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

How do you reach that conclusion? S2 is being used in several sports for any athlete whose position or role requires fast thinking and recognition. Stroud’s result could yield a conclusion that he doesn’t call his own plays or even read defenses, but rather just throw to a predetermined receiver. When he has NFL caliber WRs against Big10 DBs and an OC calling good plays, you could have a brain dead robot back there as long as they throw accurately. What’s most bizarre is how he was an outlier a good 30 or 40 points lower than the second worst QB, and 80 points lower than Bryce Young. 

Idk if he’s lying or not but that sounds like a guy who’s trying to stem off law suits

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

It’s weird that you read the article but failed to mention the guy who created the test all but said Stroud’s leaked score isn’t representative because he took it under bad conditions and that he retook it and scored higher. 

Sounds like Stroud will be fine unless he encounters bad conditions in the NFL …. like being a rookie QB on a bad team. 👍 @Burt Macklin

10 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

What are bad conditions for a video game?

8 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Do y’all have a go to mock draft “expert”?

I’m biased towards Lance Zierlien because he’s on local radio, but he has contacts in the Texans, he’s good friends with the Colts’ GM, his dad was the OL coach for the Steelers and Browns, and he moonlights for NFLN. He nailed both of the Texans picks last year (and disagreed with them pre and post draft). His last mock initiated the Stroud tumble unintentionally (he was only mocking based on how he thinks Nick Caserio and Chris Ballard think).

18 hours ago, closetojumping said:

He had an excellent start to a career that fizzled when tape review caught up with his disinterest in putting the work in to evolve and also being saddled with a HC with an agenda against him. Anyone intimating that he was a bust didn’t pay attention. 

I wake every day and thank God for Vince Young. Every Texas football fan should. He led a talent rich team to all-time glory as his OC and HC often unwittingly but actively created obstacles to keep that from happening.

This is a Texas board. How the back end of his NFL career matters not to how any Texas fan should feel about the guy and what he gave to the school. Fuck you and any other ignorant piece of shit that attempts to position things otherwise on this board, motherfucker. 

Is that you Vince??

This right here. Did Stroud not take it seriously? Is he really that horrendously bad at NFL thinking? He’s so far below the rest of the pack it’s incredulous.

This is the area that most college QBs cannot adjust to, and why lower draft picks sometime rise to the top. The speed, the complexity of coverages and blitzes, the disguise, the various route trees and progressions…so many just can’t get over the hump to where the game slows down for them.

According to the article the guy that made the test said that one of the outlier scores was not representative because the player was hungry, tired (it was late), and he didn’t want to take the test but they made him do it anyway. Something like that.

So maybe cj just needs to not show up to play football at 11pm hungry, drunk, and ready to pass out and he’ll be good to go

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2023/insider/story/_/id/36289814/2023-nfl-draft-buzz-latest-rumors-notes-teams-picks-trades-qbs-first-round

Paywalled, but here's the summary on Bijan:

1. Might go as high as #8 to the Falcons and the Ravens might move up from #22 to try to get him. 

2. The gap between Bijan and Gibbs isn't that big due to Gibbs being more of a "home run threat"

3. Cowboys would take Bijan if he fell to them but won't trade up.

Other stuff:

1. Stroud may slide

2. Nobody knows what the Texans will do

3. The WRs suck this year

4. Colts love Levis

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2023/insider/story/_/id/36289814/2023-nfl-draft-buzz-latest-rumors-notes-teams-picks-trades-qbs-first-round
Paywalled, but here's the summary on Bijan:
1. Might go as high as #8 to the Falcons and the Ravens might move up from #22 to try to get him. 
2. The gap between Bijan and Gibbs isn't that big due to Gibbs being more of a "home run threat"
3. Cowboys would take Bijan if he fell to them but won't trade up.
Other stuff:
1. Stroud may slide
2. Nobody knows what the Texans will do
3. The WRs suck this year
4. Colts love Levis

That’s wild. Wish we had the data on how their top speeds in the field compared? The nfl scouts do.

I’m worried Bijan will wind up in Chicago…honestly. Looking at the draft order…

My knock on Stroud isn’t really this new S2 test (or his leaked score on it—Young scored the highest on this test) it’s how Ohio State QBs have faired in the NFL in the past decade plus. Not good. 

I get excited about the draft every year. Can’t wait. Just hope Bijan doesn’t go to Chicago…it’s still such a mess (obviously I hope he goes to a badass team or a team on the cusp of being badass)…I would love to see him in Detroit…or Cincy or any number of places. 

For whatever reason I look at the QBs in this draft and mostly go “meh.” I am curious to see how Richardson does because he doesn’t have as long of a college career as a starter. He’s intriguing. Levis with the big time muscles and stuff…not sure what to think about that. If he were a TE or similar it would make more sense. I just think outside of Young (size is an issue) teams are going to reach. Panthers with Reich and Young could go very well. Stroud I feel like needs to go to an offensive HC coach that is big on development. The Colts fucking baffle me so no clue what they will do. I can totally see the Texans doing one of three or four things…literally (with their first pick)

Can’t wait for tomorrow night and hope most of y’all will be watching and posting along! 

Houston radio 610 has been saying today that Texans might take Bijan at #2. 610 is the mouthpiece for the organization. I think the Texans could trade down to 7, and be confident Bijan would be there. Frankly he is the surest thing in the draft, so even if the need isn't the greatest, you still take the best player in the draft when you can, especially if you can slide down and pick more assets.

Goes more to the report that the Texans are still evaluating all their options at #2.

Edited by HtownHorn

Just now, HtownHorn said:

Houston radio 610 has been saying today that Texans might take Bijan at #2. 610 is the mouthpiece for the organization. I think the Texans could trade down to 7, and be confident Bijan would be there. Frankly he is the surest thing in the draft, so even if the need isn't the greatest, you still take the best player in the draft when you can, especially if you can slide down and pick more assets.

John Lopez said to Roger Clemens “I’m the Aggy here, and I think the Texans should take Bijan.”

He says Anderson first, trade back up to get Bijan.

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

Goes more to the report that the Texans are still evaluating all their options at #2.

I know everyone things there's no way a running back will go high or even in the Top 10.  But it's not that long ago that Saquon Barkley was taken with the No. 2 pick, and I don't think the running back market in the draft is that different now.  Bijan is getting as much hype as Saquon was.

I just don't want him to go to the Texans.  Fuck that whole organization.

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I’m worried Bijan will wind up in Chicago…honestly. Looking at the draft order…

My knock on Stroud isn’t really this new S2 test (or his leaked score on it—Young scored the highest on this test) it’s how Ohio State QBs have faired in the NFL in the past decade plus. Not good. 

I get excited about the draft every year. Can’t wait. Just hope Bijan doesn’t go to Chicago…it’s still such a mess (obviously I hope he goes to a badass team or a team on the cusp of being badass)…I would love to see him in Detroit…or Cincy or any number of places. 

For whatever reason I look at the QBs in this draft and mostly go “meh.” I am curious to see how Richardson does because he doesn’t have as long of a college career as a starter. He’s intriguing. Levis with the big time muscles and stuff…not sure what to think about that. If he were a TE or similar it would make more sense. I just think outside of Young (size is an issue) teams are going to reach. Panthers with Reich and Young could go very well. Stroud I feel like needs to go to an offensive HC coach that is big on development. The Colts fucking baffle me so no clue what they will do. I can totally see the Texans doing one of three or four things…literally (with their first pick)

Can’t wait for tomorrow night and hope most of y’all will be watching and posting along! 

I know that I will be wrong ultimately in saying this, but I feel like Young, Levis, Richardson, and Stroud are all going to be busts in the NFL. I feel like this is a really bad year to be picking a QB early because of the fool's gold element. I'm sure at least one of those guys turns out fine, though. I guess most assume it will be Bryce Young, but if I had a rooting interest in a team needing a QB, I'd hope they'd punt on him, trade out of that spot or take a better bet, and then draft Hooker later.

Conversely, I think next year's QB class could turn out to be insane if some guys come into their own or others just continue to progress well.

14 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

The surest bet in the draft is apparently Will Anderson. If you're looking for the safest bet(s), take him at 2 and draft Bijan with the following pick at 12.

11 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I know everyone things there's no way a running back will go high or even in the Top 10.  But it's not that long ago that Saquon Barkley was taken with the No. 2 pick, and I don't think the running back market in the draft is that different now.  Bijan is getting as much hype as Saquon was.

I just don't want him to go to the Texans.  Fuck that whole organization.

The team I want to draft Bijan the least is the Texans. Just a pure loser franchise that has gone out of its way to avoid Longhorns historically, even with Cal McNair being a horn. My brother, father and various other relatives can't help themselves and root for the Texans. If they took Robinson, it's all I'd fucking hear about and I'd have to watch their damned games with a rooting interest. Surely they rationalize that their current young TB is a fine answer, right?

• Hook 'Em 3

So Commanders (hate that name soooo much) are reportedly not exercising their 5th year option in Chase Young…interesting…injuries have derailed him though so…

@closetojumping agree with you on the QBs…none of them look like a slam dunk but it does matter where they go and who the HC is…which is why if the Panthers roll with Young it could work really well. 

I think Bijan definitely goes in the top ten. I just worry about some of those picking in the top ten…a lot. Great draft for TEs this year. I confess I usually have some type of idea about which teams will pick a certain player and I have no idea.

Edited by Nicole44

I don't think this interview helps Stroud:

58 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

The problem is nobody wants to trade up to #2. If they want Bijan they have to take him there because he will likely be gone after the top 10 are done. Either Atlanta or Philly will take him or a team will trade up to take him. It's leaking all over the place how much teams like him and the whole "RB value" shit doesn't play with him. He's too good.

38 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I know that I will be wrong ultimately in saying this, but I feel like Young, Levis, Richardson, and Stroud are all going to be busts in the NFL. I feel like this is a really bad year to be picking a QB early because of the fool's gold element.

This QB class is trash. None of these guys should be picked in the first round but QBs are overvalued in the draft so here we are.

• Hook 'Em 4

15 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Richardson will be good if he ends up on the right team. Young is a likeable Baker Mayfield. Levis sucks. Stroud will fall and wind up in a perfect situation like Seattle at 20

Levis reminds me of this guy...

ryan-leaf-1998-nfl-draft-busts-peyton-ma

On 4/25/2023 at 1:10 PM, Irieguy said:

So maybe a cognitive test does have some value. 

As someone who sees patients in a neurology clinic I can unequivocally say that trying to objectify cognition is a fool's errand. You can very easily interview someone (obtain a clinical history) and determine quite a bit about a persons depths.

5 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Most of the draft pundits are saying this is a weak draft with limited (15 or so) true first-round grades. So if you are a GM then do you take a marginal 1st round pick (especially when 3 or 4 are QBs when you don't need one) or a potential star at RB.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I know that I will be wrong ultimately in saying this, but I feel like Young, Levis, Richardson, and Stroud are all going to be busts in the NFL. I feel like this is a really bad year to be picking a QB early because of the fool's gold element. I'm sure at least one of those guys turns out fine, though. I guess most assume it will be Bryce Young, but if I had a rooting interest in a team needing a QB, I'd hope they'd punt on him, trade out of that spot or take a better bet, and then draft Hooker later.

Conversely, I think next year's QB class could turn out to be insane if some guys come into their own or others just continue to progress well.

The surest bet in the draft is apparently Will Anderson. If you're looking for the safest bet(s), take him at 2 and draft.

This right here. As bad as a team like the Texans are the holes are almost too many to count. Picking a QB from this class imo isn’t going to move the needle at all. They would be wiser to get the best talent available at other needs and look to next year. There is more than a good chance they will have an opportunity to pick up a good to game changer QB in next years draft they could bring into a more supportive roster. Any QB they take his year should be a guy they take a flyer in later picks that may at least work into a potential backup down the road. The value this year is not there at QB IMO. I could be wrong.

Edited by Wishbone