Humpback whales HATE orcas

Superhero

8 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Like orcas but they are like lions of the Serengeti. Humpback are kick ass if they are fucking with orcas just cause. That would be like elephants fucking with lions' kills to prevent the lions from eating the prey.

I was going to go with mature, healthy Cape Buffalo will go out of their way to kill lions if they can get away with it (as will Elephants).

Edited by Bateshorn

Team Humpback!

Orcas are becoming bigger assholes. Attacking ships' rudders.

https://www.yachtingworld.com/cruising/orca-attacks-rudder-losses-and-damage-as-incidents-escalate-133968

Most concerning is the fact that the whales’ interactions with vessels appear to be not only more frequent, but also more sustained and involving a widening range of vessels.

“Last year it was mostly small sailing vessels, but this year they are going for larger sailing vessels and even catamarans, destroying both rudders. They also have been reported to go for fishing vessels and small RIBs, in southern Portugal, where the whale watching boats are mainly RIBs.

“They do go for them, but because there is no rudder, they just push the propellers and even push from the bottom of the boat. But it is kind of worrying because it looks like their behaviour is evolving.”

filmed attack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4OdROXdGTM

17 hours ago, Superhero said:

Apparently humpback whales have been brawling with orcas for quite some time. A few days ago, 2 whales attacked about 2 dozen orcas up in the Pacific Northwest. Video in the link.

https://www.king5.com/article/tech/science/environment/orcas/clash-biggs-transient-orcas-humpback-whales-juan-de-fuca-strait/281-823125c0-2468-4c4e-a51b-432823537f10

Thie first thing in that video is a fat chick that exclaims "I love whales!". I bet you do, honey.

17 hours ago, Superhero said:

Apparently humpback whales have been brawling with orcas for quite some time. A few days ago, 2 whales attacked about 2 dozen orcas up in the Pacific Northwest. Video in the link.

https://www.king5.com/article/tech/science/environment/orcas/clash-biggs-transient-orcas-humpback-whales-juan-de-fuca-strait/281-823125c0-2468-4c4e-a51b-432823537f10

hydra and reaper are some bad ass names for some bad ass whales

edit: valiant too.  almost like british ship names

Edited by elfenix

7 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

So what? They're predators lmao

Do you think the rest of those carcasses just go to waste?

No shit? They're predators? Thanks for the heads up, fuckface.

No one was arguing against whatever point you're trying to make.

Orcas do a lot of cruel shit for fun; whale pup livers don't contain a magical substance Orcas need to survive.

If you shoot Bambi just to get some liver, you're an asshole too.

Just now, rage-a-holic said:

Orcas do a lot of cruel shit for fun; whale pup livers don't contain a magical substance Orcas need to survive.

Didn't mean to be confrontational.

Yeah it seems that a consequence of high levels of intelligence is that sometimes cruelty comes into play. That's a big reason why most of them go insane in captivity I guess.

A lot of predators kill just for liver, though, they're highly desirable from a nutritional standpoint. It's not like the animal is going to waste, something is gonna eat the rest. 

4 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Didn't mean to be confrontational.

Yeah it seems that a consequence of high levels of intelligence is that sometimes cruelty comes into play. That's a big reason why most of them go insane in captivity I guess.

A lot of predators kill just for liver, though, they're highly desirable from a nutritional standpoint. It's not like the animal is going to waste, something is gonna eat the rest. 

I get that, but Orcas will also sometimes just eat the tongue or other random organs. The "asshole" part comes up because many of the calve attacks involve toying with it and needlessly torturing it before the actual kill.

NOTE: I know plenty of marine biologists in Baja/Yucatan who love whales and detest orcas due to this behavior. If you get stuck on a long boat ride with them, they end up swapping "asshole orca" stories.

• Like 1

I was in South Africa the week two great whites washed up on the local beaches, killed by orcas who took them out via the liver.  We went shark cage diving that week, and saw a few up close and personal, but it’s my understanding that since the orcas dropped a couple of body bags, the great whites left and haven’t returned.  It’s had a large impact on the little town where great white sharks were their primary business.  Team humpback.

1 hour ago, rage-a-holic said:

NOTE: I know plenty of marine biologists in Baja/Yucatan who love whales and detest orcas due to this behavior. If you get stuck on a long boat ride with them, they end up swapping "asshole orca" stories.

Name six of the female marine biologists and then provide pics and tell us why they hate assholes.

Orcas are awesome.  Just remember that they’ll fuck with whales and fuck with seals and torture their prey but if you fall off a boat they will be cool to you, because they know you’re a human and they’re cool with humans.  The apex predator of the ocean just wants to be our buddy.  It doesn’t get more awesome than that. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

I get that, but Orcas will also sometimes just eat the tongue or other random organs. The "asshole" part comes up because many of the calve attacks involve toying with it and needlessly torturing it before the actual kill.

After mating, the female praying mantis will often kill and eat the male. Top that.

3 hours ago, futureman said:

Orcas are awesome.  Just remember that they’ll fuck with whales and fuck with seals and torture their prey but if you fall off a boat they will be cool to you, because they know you’re a human and they’re cool with humans.  The apex predator of the ocean just wants to be our buddy.  It doesn’t get more awesome than that. 

They've been known to protect humans from sharks as well, though that's not unique to them, many different species of whales/dolphins have done similar things.

The difference in their demeanor toward humans between captive and wild orcas is almost unbelievable, it's like two entirely different animals.

If you really want to hate humanity, go watch Blackfish. The fact that we're still allowed to keep them in captivity is a travesty.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

yeah but can they top this...

FormalOnlyGrebe-size_restricted.gif

Edited by mchookem
  • Like 1

Big fan of both orcas and the whales, but they need to work things out amongst themselves.  Maybe bring in Flipper as a peace negotiator.
2624e0b8a589522d9af523ae35879993aa9187f570c98dbc70d1884efab14c6b.jpg
I've seen flipper fucking with it's food plenty in the wild. Just chucking around trout and flounder like "fuck yo couch". * So maybe not the best negotiator to send.

*They appeared to be perhaps training thier young while doing this, but with a bit of unnecessary torture.

** Gen xer, it's okay to eat fish, they don't have any feelings.

They've been known to protect humans from sharks as well, though that's not unique to them, many different species of whales/dolphins have done similar things.
The difference in their demeanor toward humans between captive and wild orcas is almost unbelievable, it's like two entirely different animals.
If you really want to hate humanity, go watch Blackfish. The fact that we're still allowed to keep them in captivity is a travesty.
Agreed. Growing up I wanted to be a marine biologist. I could see myself volunteering in Monterey Bay when I'm old.

2 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

I have never heard of the protection thing. Wormhole time

14 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

such an odd rant.  Many predators eat only the most fatty and/or nutritious part of their prey and leave the rest.  One example: bears

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=brownbear.trivia

Bears use the most nutritious parts of their food to maximize their weight gain. Grass and forbs are only used while they are rapidly growing in the spring and early summer. Brains, flesh and eggs are preferred parts of the salmon. Internal organs of deer, elk and cattle are eaten first when one is killed or scavenged.

People putting human "morals" onto animals is so fucking weird to me. 

And, as pointed out above, Orcas might be assholes to our boats but I don't think there's a single example of them attacking a human in the wild.  (yes, I'm very aware of the Sea World attacks...FAFO)

Edited by DigglerontheHoof
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

such an odd rant.  Many predators eat only the most fatty and/or nutritious part of their prey and leave the rest.  One example: bears

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=brownbear.trivia

Bears use the most nutritious parts of their food to maximize their weight gain. Grass and forbs are only used while they are rapidly growing in the spring and early summer. Brains, flesh and eggs are preferred parts of the salmon. Internal organs of deer, elk and cattle are eaten first when one is killed or scavenged.

People putting human "morals" onto animals is so fucking weird to me. 

And, as pointed out above, Orcas might be assholes to our boats but I don't think there's a single example of them attacking a human in the wild.  (yes, I'm very aware of the Sea World attacks...FAFO)

They attack rudders on sail boats. I'd say leaving a sailboat rudderless in the open sea counts as an attack on humans.

13 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

They attack rudders on sail boats. I'd say leaving a sailboat rudderless in the open sea counts as an attack on humans.

Perhaps, I'm not whale mind-reader but I'm not sure they comprehend the concept of disabling a boat as attacking a human.   If so, I'd think attacking a human swimming would be a much more satisfying target...and there are no examples I know of that happening.