The Republican Civil War - it will be because we destroyed ourselves

tx 3 putt

She could go either way.  A lot of folks who talked tough, bent the knee eventually and kissed Trump's ass.  We'll see who get selected as the new RNC chair.  That will go a long way in helping Republicans develop a spine.

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

A lot of folks who talked tough, bent the knee eventually and kissed Trump's ass.

This is what will happen.

3 minutes ago, kevwun said:

We'll see who get selected as the new RNC chair.  That will go a long way in helping Republicans develop a spine.

It's going to be Trump insiders.  There will be no spine.  The RNC will be the embodiment of servile gelatinous ooze.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Romney is old enough to just give up on politics. Haley isn't, she'll be on her knees in no time, I absolutely guarantee it.

It comes down to whether she thinks Trump is going to implode before the election in terms of all of the court cases.  She clearly wants to pick up the pieces of a Trump campaign implosion over the court cases and that could drive her staying in its during the short term, but MAGA is attacking her supporters, so they won’t show up for her in November if something happens to Trump.

Long term, it comes down to how bad Trump gets his ass kicked in November.  We know there are BMDs who are done with Trump and Trump-backed candidates losing, but if he loses by even more, that’s when we will see the full -blown Republican civil war and Haley will be in a good position for 2028.  DeSantis is not the fighter the never-Trumpers hoped for, but Haley might be.  Some of the BMDs may have bailed on her in favor of down-ballot races in November, but they will show up for her in 2028. 

8 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It comes down to whether she thinks Trump is going to implode before the election in terms of all of the court cases.  She clearly wants to pick up the pieces of a Trump campaign implosion over the court cases and that could drive her staying in its during the short term, but MAGA is attacking her supporters, so they won’t show up for her in November if something happens to Trump.

Long term, it comes down to how bad Trump gets his ass kicked in November.  We know there are BMDs who are done with Trump and Trump-backed candidates losing, but if he loses by even more, that’s when we will see the full -blown Republican civil war and Haley will be in a good position for 2028.  DeSantis is not the fighter the never-Trumpers hoped for, but Haley might be.  Some of the BMDs may have bailed on her in favor of down-ballot races in November, but they will show up for her in 2028. 

It's becoming crystal clear that ALL of Trump's career-killing cases are all being kicked down the road until after the election. We've got to beat him at the polls now. If he loses, then he's in severe legal peril because he won't have any capital to save his ass at that point. We all know he will pardon himself of everything if he becomes POTUS again.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, C-Man said:

It's becoming crystal clear that ALL of Trump's career-killing cases are all being kicked down the road until after the election. We've got to beat him at the polls now. If he loses, then he's in severe legal peril because he won't have any capital to save his ass at that point. We all know he will pardon himself of everything if he becomes POTUS again.

You have to understand, it’s bad for democracy if criminals are labeled criminals when people really want to vote for them. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I have a hard time believing that either he or his army of marks will concede another election loss. 

I think we're in for more violence, especially in the red states. J6 may look like larping in the park the closer we get to November.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

33 minutes ago, Stilicho said:

I have a hard time believing that either he or his army of marks will concede another election loss. 

I think we're in for more violence, especially in the red states. J6 may look like larping in the park the closer we get to November.

He doesn't control the White House this time, so any coup attempts will be much more difficult to pull off.  DC will be ready for shenanigans this time.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/3/2024 at 5:37 PM, Irwin F Fletcher said:

I don't think you are allowed to run as a 3rd party candidate if you participated in either the maga or democratic primary.

Not every state has sore loser laws. But also there’s a lot of opinions of whether it’s even constitutional or not for the presidential ballot

Edited by Js1

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

He doesn't control the White House this time, so any coup attempts will be much more difficult to pull off.  DC will be ready for shenanigans this time.

It won't be in DC.  It will be in states where they can intimidate/pressure the legislature to engage in electoral vote shenanigans.

The answer, of course, is the same, whether it's in DC or Atlanta: people who engage in a violent insurrection intended to overthrow the government should be shot dead.  Until they stop trying to overthrow the government, keep shooting.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

It doesn’t matter. He’s already been found liable for rape and fraud. He’ll still get 80 million votes. He could go to jail next week and not lose a vote. It’s not like he’s going to debate or make any appearances outside his bubble anyway. He could broadcast his appearances from his cell. The constitution doesn’t preclude a prisoner from winning the presidency. The founding fathers surely assumed that such a piece of shit could never garner enough votes, but here we are, ‘murica.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 4

5 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I'm more worried about election interference a la hacking voting machines via NK, China, Russia or some other shitty wannabe Nazis. He's publicly asked for their assistance.  And voter role purges without evidence and only in Democratic counties is back in effect.  It's not difficult to see their game plan--just listen to them.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

We talkin' about Texas: https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2024/03/05/fighting-the-gop-civil-war-texas-style-00144866

BEAUMONT, Texas — Forget the anti-climactic finale of the presidential primary, the most revealing Super Tuesday campaigns are taking place in Texas — and none more than in this swamp-and-refinery filled corner of the state, where the House speaker is at risk of falling victim to Washington-style political tribalism.

Speaker Dade Phelan, the scion of an old Beaumont family, is facing a well-funded primary challenge driven by his two chief antagonists in Austin, Lt. Gov Dan Patrick and Attorney General Ken Paxton, and blessed by their ally, former President Donald Trump, whose seal of good MAGA housekeeping now adorns the signs of Phelan’s chief rival.

Elsewhere in Texas, Gov. Greg Abbott is targeting sitting state representatives who’ve not been fully supportive of his agenda, a purge that has some overlap with incumbents Patrick and Paxton are working to unseat. Abbott wants to elect more pliant lawmakers who will help him pass one of the few conservative wish-list items Texas has yet to approve, school vouchers. Patrick is animated by his desire to consolidate control of the legislative branch of state government, where the lieutenant governor’s office is unusually powerful in Texas, while Paxton is fueled by vengeance against those lawmakers who voted last year to impeach him over corruption and bribery allegations.

At first blush, the Republican-on-Republican violence can feel a bit like the Lone Star version of a Quentin Tarantino picture, with bullets spraying around and the viewer needing a dramatis personae to keep track of it all.

Yet the internecine clash in America’s largest red state, an anchor of Republicanism, is both instructive and, eventually, could prove perilous to the GOP. It’s the end result of Texas’ decadeslong partisan realignment, the subsequent collapse of competitive general elections and, most significantly, an illustration of how the malignant tribalism shaping national politics is metastasizing to state capitals.

There are a handful of modest issue differences, but the intraparty divide is shaped far more by the struggle for power in a state where Democrats are uncompetitive and elections are determined in the March primary not the November general election. The warring is less on the ideological grounds that once divided, and helped doom, Texas Democrats than over process and specifically what’s still acceptable at a moment of total-war politics.

Phelan’s chief vulnerabilities are telling. His Republican rival, David Covey, is attacking him because the speaker continued the longstanding Texas practice of handing some committee chairs to the minority party and because Phelan impeached Paxton.

Such practices — minor concessions to the opposition and policing a rogue state official who’s already facing securities fraud charges — would have hardly been controversial in an earlier statehouse era.

For voters today, and primary voters in particular, their frame of reference is entirely Washington politics, however. Voluntarily handing power to the other side and pursuing accountability in your own tribe? Well, that’s simply not done and it’s downright confounding to the polarized electorate.

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott has not taken sides in Speaker Dade Phelan’s race. | Eric Gay/AP

“He might be guilty but he’s our guy,” is how Phelan, 48, recalled some of his voters discussing the Paxton case.

Sitting in his downtown Beaumont office and surrounded by an old can of Phelan coffee, a miniature alligator and pictures of his sons draped in the University of Texas’ burnt orange, the speaker acknowledged that the rules of politics had effectively changed under his feet since his 2014 election to the legislature.

“They got Hunter Biden doing these terrible things, well, why can’t our guy do terrible things,” Phelan continued, echoing some of Paxton’s voters. “He sues Biden, we like that, he’s our guy.”

Doing nothing to hide his frustration, the speaker said Republicans were tempting the same fate that befell Texas Democrats after their own internal wars.

“It certainly opens the door,” he said. “Why not? Voters are smart. They want results, and if we can’t produce results because we eat each other up, absolutely it’s going to be a problem.”

At some point, Phelan added, “There will be an opening.”

It’s not likely in the immediate future. The Democratic dream of turning Texas blue, fueled by the shifting politics of the state’s metropolitan centers and increasing ethnic diversity, has foundered against an even more powerful force: education polarization. Working-class voters across racial lines have drifted toward the GOP, making South Texas more competitive and complicating the political arithmetic for Democrats to win statewide.

“I hope I’m wrong but I’m fearful it’s out of reach for a few more years,” said Ben Barnes, a Democratic lobbyist and onetime wunderkind House speaker and lieutenant governor in the LBJ-John Connally era. Barnes pointed to Jim Wells County of LBJ lore, once a Democratic stronghold but which Trump won by 10 percent in 2020.

Still, he was astonished by the brazenness of today’s Texas GOP, noting that Patrick took $3 million from a pro-Paxton group shortly before the lieutenant governor presided over the Senate trial acquitting the attorney general.

“They would’ve marched on the capitol and impeached me if I had taken $3 million like that,” Barnes exclaimed. “But anybody can do anything now as long as it’s Republican and as long as it’s Trump.”

It’s hard to separate the former president from the turn of events in Texas, or any state. Trump has detonated the old establishment-versus-conservative construct, elevated personal loyalty above any policy litmus tests and infused all levels of government with Manichean politics.

“Texas is not immune from this national moment,” said Dave Carney, Abbott’s principal political adviser and longtime GOP strategist. “People don’t wear jerseys anymore, they tattoo their bodies with team colors.”

Driving to meet Covey, Phelan’s chief GOP opponent, I was reminded of the unique nature of Southeast Texas, which is really a hybrid of Texas and Louisiana. The Texas flags are as ubiquitous as in every part of the state, but the BBQ joints have their own unique beef links, serve jambalaya on the side and it’s easy to see crawfish on offer as a Lent special.

Covey, though, is betting that the politics of this onetime home of conservative Democratic House legend Jack Brooks have become thoroughly nationalized, even more so than when Brooks’ 1994 loss signaled his party’s demise here. The MAGA red stripe atop Covey’s billboard reads: “Defend Texas, Save America” and the 4x8 sign on the chain link fence in front of the early voting site where I met him has the same red with “TRUMP ENDORSES COVEY” next to the image of a familiar fellow wearing a red tie and flashing a thumbs up.

Smiling the moment I brought up Trump’s endorsement, Covey recalled how the former president called him with no warning.

“He told me to go kick this guy out of office in very colorful language,” Covey said. “And so, he said Dade’s not representing the district … He wants someone who’s going to be an America First candidate and Dade Phelan has not been a Trump guy or an America First candidate.”

Trump, Covey said, “is really the gold standard in Southeast Texas.”

The former president has endorsed a series of Republicans challenging GOP lawmakers in Texas. He doesn’t know them, incumbents or challengers, of course. But Trump is close to Paxton and Patrick and is happy to help them, an adviser to the former president told me, particularly Paxton who was perhaps the leading state official in Trump’s effort to overturn the 2020 election.

Not surprisingly, two of the three issue priorities Covey cited to me were also those of Trump — the border and “election integrity.” The third was school vouchers, Abbott’s focus.

Abbott has not taken sides in Phelan’s race, which Covey said “tells you all you need to know.”

The race here could go to a May runoff because there’s a third candidate competing, who could take enough votes to deny either of the top two contenders from reaching a majority on Tuesday.

Where Covey agrees with his rival, though, is that all the in-fighting could ultimately help Democrats. “I think that Dade’s mushy Republicanism is really what could weaken our hold on Texas,” he said of Phelan.

The speaker is baffled at the claim of being less than a full-throated conservative, particularly given the legislation loosening gun rules and restricting abortion rights he’s pushed through the House. Texas has had moderate legislative leaders — former House Speaker Joe Straus comes to mind — but Phelan is hardly a centrist.

Equally perplexed is former Gov. Rick Perry — you hadn’t forgotten him, had you? — who has come off the sidelines for a number of legislative races, none more enthusiastically than that of Phelan.

“Dade Phelan is no more a RINO than Rick Perry,” the former governor said last month at a Beaumont-area rally, before embracing the term. “I think it’s kind of sexy, frankly,” Perry said, explaining that the rhinoceros is “one of the baddest boys on the block, right?”

In private, Perry is less amused, I’m told, asking former legislative allies what in the world has happened to the Texas GOP in the decade since he left office.

Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas) is also dismayed and of late has been engaged in an extraordinary X, formerly Twitter, war with Paxton, who is eager to challenge (or succeed) Cornyn in 2026: “Hard to run from prison, Ken,” Cornyn said last week.

“I am concerned about it,” Cornyn told me about the wars between Austin powers. “We’re obviously divided, looks like a little bit of Washington infected Austin.”

What’s most sobering is the menace of political violence has also drifted down from the nation’s capital. Phelan told me he has to have Texas Department of Public Safety officers out in front of his house in Beaumont and one constituent is currently in the county jail awaiting a trial for threatening to kill the speaker.

Walking out of his office, Phelan, who worked for former Rep. Dick Armey (R-Texas) in Washington, said his critics were akin to the “Matt Gaetzes of the world,” alluding to the Florida GOP representative who led the push to oust then-U.S. House Speaker Kevin McCarthy last year.

“It’s a handful of folks who don’t have much power but they can shut things down on any given day and that’s where they’re going to try to do because that’s the model,” he said.

But, Phelan added, “it hasn’t worked well in Washington, D.C. the last time I checked.”

Just a reminder, this "Civil War" is going EXACTLY how many of us said it would: the psychopathic evil faction is winning, handily.  

Just yesterday, the party had a referendum on who should win: the Paxton/Trump vengeance, "kill public schools" faction, or the slightly-less-bad "maybe we should do all kinds of dickhead stuff to women, gays, and minorities, but also maybe we should actually govern and have schools" faction.

The party decided.  The psychopaths won.  The GQP has chosen to line up nationally behind an obvious pathologically lying criminal, and in Texas, behind a man who fucking ADMITTED, in OPEN COURT, that he violated the law (and he's headed to trial on another criminal charge in short order).  This party belongs to Paxton and Trump, and its main platform is vengeance and retribution.

Why?  Easy, there's two big reasons that the GQP is lined up behind men who proudly flout their disdain for the rule of law.

1)  The masses buy their message of "they are prosecuting me because I'm so good at doing the things you love.  If I wasn't the most effective MAGA POTUS/AG in history, they wouldn't be coming after me."  In other words, the fact that I'm being prosecuted means that I'm the best at pissing off the libz.

2)  Few things demonstrate your absolute, unquestionable power, than being able to rub your nuts in the face of your opponent and they can do nothing about it.  There are few nut-rubbing gestures more powerful than "look at me breaking the law, right here, in front of your fucking face, and there's not a GODDAMNED thing you can do about it."  A demonstration of ABUSE of power is the greatest demonstration of the fact that your power is unlimited, and unquestionable.  Metaphorically, it's the cop who pulls you over, says it's for you having a busted tail light, then he walks over and smashes your tail light and says "see?  Busted tail light.  I'm writing you up for that."  You can't question him.  You can't resist him.  You just have to sit there, as he abuses his power, because resisting and fighting back will only make it worse (see the open themes of vengeance and retribution in GQP actions and messaging).

Just as we said, this Civil War is over.  The worst of the worst have won.  They are only going to get more powerful.  And not only do they have the numbers, but they now have their fingers on multiple scales (they just drummed out three judges who issued a single opinion that dared to limit their power).  We don't overcome this.  We are going to embark on the "maybe authoritarian fascism will work in the US!" experiment, to see how it will go.  But anyone with any sense knows how it will go: the leopards will consume everyone's face, and only when the pain becomes truly unbearable, it will end in bloody violence.  

e19463c0-c7ec-4730-9902-9268b06c7a8d_tex

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 3
  • Prepare your anus 1

Don't need to be an expert in facial expressions there. 

Dotard: "Check this shit out. Maybe I can get him to literally grovel on his knees."

Romney: "This is bad. So bad. I am humiliated, yet here I am anyway." 

12 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Exhibit A: Mitch McConnell.

The turtle would endorse a demon if he was a R nominee, when has he cared who was running as long as they help him push his agenda. He shouldn’t be used a benchmark for integrity or any positive word 

• Hook 'Em 2

"Trump, Covey said, “is really the gold standard in Southeast Texas.”

Holy shit. A goddamn philandering elitist Ivy leaguer from New York City is the gold standard in southeast Texas. 

8 minutes ago, Gengs1 said:

The turtle would endorse a demon if he was a R nominee, when has he cared who was running as long as they help him push his agenda. He shouldn’t be used a benchmark for integrity or any positive word 

Yeah, but the turtle hates Trump.

41 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

On the one hand it’s funny because the people who opened the leopard cage are getting their faces eaten. 

On the other hand, one of the two major American political parties is now not a political party at all but just a machine to advance the interests of  make money for one corrupt man. 

Clarified 

• Hook 'Em 3

The Trump campaign and the RNC will only care about causing so much chaos that it gives enough Rs in Congress cover to declare the 2024 election uncertifiable. Then Mike Johnson gives the WH to Trump.

honesty this is 1 of 2 options in how a dictator takes over a democracy.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

On the other hand, one of the two major American political parties is now not a political party at all but just a machine to advance the interests of one corrupt man. 

It’ll be run as competently as other Trump organizations like Trump U, Trump Casino, etc.  

57 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The Trump campaign and the RNC will only care about causing so much chaos that it gives enough Rs in Congress cover to declare the 2024 election uncertifiable. Then Mike Johnson gives the WH to Trump 

Nah, Trump will bleed it dry over the coming year to pay for his legal bills and in general for the grift. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The Trump campaign and the RNC will only care about causing so much chaos that it gives enough Rs in Congress cover to declare the 2024 election uncertifiable

They can't just do that.  It's not like bankrupty, Michael Scott. 

• Hook 'Em 1

So with Trump taking over the RNC’s coffers for his own gain, where do the BMDs who don’t want to pay for his lawyers go from here?   Form their own PACs?  Donate directly to the down-ballot races?  Sit out 2024? (Doubt this last option).  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

7 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Imagine a time traveler coming to you 10-15 years ago and telling you that in the future, Donald Trump will take control of the republican party.

I would’ve laughed, and then said “that’s like a number 16 seed beating a 1 seed in the dance. Ha ha ha”

32 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Imagine a time traveler coming to you 10-15 years ago and telling you that in the future, Donald Trump will take control of the republican party.

Imagine a time traveler coming to you 10-15 years ago and telling you that in the future, Rednecks from the south would pledge fealty to their new god, a yankee from New York.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, locodos said:

Imagine a time traveler coming to you 10-15 years ago and telling you that in the future, Rednecks from the south would pledge fealty to their new god, a yankee from New York.

And they would support a former KGB officer turned dictator of Russia over freedom.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

And they would support a former KGB officer turned dictator of Russia over freedom.

... while at the same time still obnoxiously talking about "freedom!" all of the time.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

... while at the same time still obnoxiously talking about "freedom!" all of the time.

And being upset that American weapons from the 70s and 80s are being used to do what they were designed to do - kill Russian invaders.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

ding

4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

ding

3 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

....the freedom to steal from, undermine, and betray their neighbors and countrymen.

motherfucking ding

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

....the freedom to steal from, undermine, and betray their neighbors and countrymen.

A light bulb went on for me some time back. "Oh they mean freedom for THEM... not for 'others'." 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

I would picture it like Doc asking Marty in BttF, “then tell me something Future Boy!  Who is President in 2017??”

-Uh, Donald Trump.

”Donald Trump?  The gameshow host?!?”  (Slams door)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, YGIFS said:

I would picture it like Doc asking Marty in BttF, “then tell me something Future Boy!  Who is President in 2017??”

-Uh, Donald Trump.

”Donald Trump?  The gameshow host?!?”  (Slams door)

"Oh please. The democrats would never nominate Donald fucking Trump."

"Um yeah about that....."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

So with Trump taking over the RNC’s coffers for his own gain, where do the BMDs who don’t want to pay for his lawyers go from here?   Form their own PACs?  Donate directly to the down-ballot races?  Sit out 2024? (Doubt this last option).  

They’ll fall in line. 

8 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

On the other hand, one of the two major American political parties is now not a political party at all but just a machine to advance the interests of one corrupt man. 

Laugh now, Libtard, but I notice you conveniently left out the Biden Crime Family. Biden's up to, what, 90+ criminal charges?

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The Trump campaign and the RNC will only care about causing so much chaos that it gives enough Rs in Congress cover to declare the 2024 election uncertifiable. Then Mike Johnson gives the WH to Trump.

honesty this is 1 of 2 options in how a dictator takes over a democracy.

they’ll kick it back to the states, and R’s have the majority of state houses 

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

It’ll be run as competently as other Trump organizations like Trump U, Trump Casino, etc.  

Nah, Trump will bleed it dry over the coming year to pay for his legal bills and in general for the grift. 

he’s going to bankrupt the RNC and retire to Russia with their money 

But seriously, they’re plan is to layoff all the experience and knowledge at the RNC, then cut off the state GoP parties (those legal bills aren't going to pay themselves). In trump’s polluted mind, his endorsement is worth more than any amount the GoP can give candidates. 

again, I’m calling it now….if you want the trump brand behind you, you must give up your campaign war cheat to the GoP. Has anyone told him that abbott has close to $100mil piled up ???

• Hook 'Em 1